Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Spurs Fanatic
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone at the guard position will be moved or waived. Spurs have too many if Mills is indeed resigned. Joseph and Denmon will need spectacular summer leagues to make the team.
    Manu's probably going to retire after this season so why not hold on to them. Unless the Spurs do really good what's the point in Manu continuing? He's already accomplished as much as he's going to in the NBA.

He looks like a small Manu and from his highlights with the France team,
    yeah all he need is a huge bald spot and be able to smack bats around in the at&t center (we all know how many bats are around there).
    Last edited by TMTTRIO; 07-10-2012 at 01:35 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need to sign two more frenchmen and then the Spurs can run their offense in a foreign language to confuse the other team.

Maybe Cory Joseph is French Canadian, then we're only 1 French speaker and 2 basketball players away!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    " A gauche ! "

" Bosh ???!! "

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs don't often use the BAE, so it's definitely interesting that they pulled the trigger on an unproven Euro with questions about what position he'll play - especially when they just signed Patty Mills a few hours earlier (and still have Cory Joseph on the roster and the draft rights to Marcus Denmon).

I'm going to hold my breath and assume that the Spurs know what they're doing, and think they got one of a player. It's definitely nice to think that we hit on another late 2nd rounder (#53).

My guess is that DeColo will be in the SG rotation as his primary role, but also serves as an emergency 3rd string PG. Pairing him with Mills might provide a nice balance of scoring and passing on the offensive end.

Neal will be shopped and likely traded, possibly in combination with Blair, Bonner, Byars or Joseph. I except a number of them won't be on the squad next season.

Denmon will be given the chance to succeed in Summer League. If he impresses then he'll be signed and brought into training camp with an opportunity to steal James Anderson's old role. My personal guess is that he goes to Europe after Summer League and we revisit him in a year or two (a la, James Gist).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nando de colo has one great nba skill, he is a great passer he is a steve nash type of passer and if u have one great nba skill that tends to get u playing time, looks like hes taking james andersons spot and mills and joseph will be competing for minutes behind tony parker and i think we send denmon to austin to take josephs spot
    See Ricky Rubio's rookie season. He's a mediocre shooter who's not very athletic, with nice size for the guard position, and can't play defense. But when it comes to passing the ball, few can do it better in the league right now. If De Colo really is that good of a passer and a decent ball handler, maybe he's an intriguing player.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the backcourt is getting a little crowded. parker/ginobili/neal/green/mills/de colo now occupy the guard spots. that's almost half the active team for two positions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the backcourt is getting a little crowded. parker/ginobili/neal/green/mills/de colo now occupy the guard spots. that's almost half the active team for two positions.
    No Cory Joseph?

But hes the future...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs must be pretty high on De Colo. $2.8 million is a lot of money for someone who is relatively unproven. To compare, that's as much guaranteed money as the 16th overall pick in the 2012 draft.

I'm not sure if the Spurs view him as a backup point guard or a backup shooting guard but it's clear they like him. You don't give $2.8 million and use your BAE (which means they won't be able to use it next summer) on someone you don't expect to contribute.

Now that I think about it, did the Spurs troll Barcelona? By raising Lorbek's stock, Barcelona had to pay more money to keep him. That means they didn't have as much money to steal De Colo. Hmmmm...
    2,8 million is not much for this guy. De Colo can really play, pass and shoot the outside shot. A very good deal for the Spurs! Watched him in Lithuania last year @ Euros and he played really well!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty obvious the Spurs had no "real" money for Lorbek.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty obvious the Spurs had no "real" money for Lorbek.
    He wasn't willing to accept less than market value and the Spurs couldn't offer market value without sacrificing Diaw. Both parties made the choice that best served their own interests.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    See Ricky Rubio's rookie season. He's a mediocre shooter who's not very athletic, with nice size for the guard position, and can't play defense. But when it comes to passing the ball, few can do it better in the league right now. If De Colo really is that good of a passer and a decent ball handler, maybe he's an intriguing player.
    Rubio run circles around Chris Paul in an Olympic Final at age 17.

De colo has yet to play a meaningful game at age 25.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He wasn't willing to accept less than market value and the Spurs couldn't offer market value without sacrificing Diaw. Both parties made the choice that best served their own interests.
    Well, it seems to me that Spurs sacrificed Lorbek for De Colo.
    Signe at way above the minimum.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are some people kidding or do they really thinking 1.4M per year is a lot of money in NBA?

This is a bargain deal. Remember this, he has lots of potential.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Signe at way above the minimum.
    That's only true if you believe that Lorbek would have signed a 2yr/4M contract.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it's going to be viewed that way, they sacrificed Lorbek for Diaw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy doesn't impress me at all. Seen a lot of vids and stats... and he doesn't look any better than an average NCAA div 1 player. I hope he proves me wrong though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it's going to be viewed that way, they sacrificed Lorbek for Diaw.
    Soit.

Conservative moves.
    Including giving Green 4 M for 3 years.
    They could find Green from nowhere, and mede him a decent player,
    and they are not confident they are capable to find another Green for cheaper.

Enemy of the FCC and AMA Dr. John R. Brinkley's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Speaking of De Colo, I watched a do entary following FNT few days ago and it surprised me a little to see how fit he was.

At the 5:30 mark:

Diaw, on the other hand made sure to keep his shirt on. Hopefully he gets in shape too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's only true if you believe that Lorbek would have signed a 2yr/4M contract.
    Wasn't something left of the MLE after signing Diaw?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are some people kidding or do they really thinking 1.4M per year is a lot of money in NBA?

This is a bargain deal. Remember this, he has lots of potential.
    Neal is a bargain.
    Green was a bargain.
    Blair is a bargain.

Joseph, not so much.
    The Spurs FO is not perfect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasn't something left of the MLE after signing Diaw?
    Less than 1M. You can't combine dollars from the two exceptions to sign one player.

2yrs/4M was the absolute max the Spurs could offer Lorbek once the bulk of the MLE was used for Diaw

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Soit.

Conservative moves.
    Including giving Green 4 M for 3 years.
    They could find Green from nowhere, and mede him a decent player,
    and they are not confident they are capable to find another Green for cheaper.
    What else would you have them do?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Penny. ing. Hardaway.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Won't speak for Temujin, but I would have...

1) Throw the whole MLE at Kirilenko (4 years, but year 4 partially guaranteed)
    2) Offer Diaw a full BAE contract ($4M/2 years), with a player option on the 2nd year, and a promise of an offer of the full MLE (from Early Bird Rights) with at least 2 guaranteed years if he opts out. If this promise is legal, write this directly into the contract if the NBA doesn't whine... (note that there is no commitment from Diaw to anything beyond year 1 - if someone offered him more than the MLE he'd be free to take it.
    3) Try talk De Colo into a Vet min contract, much like Mills got.
    4) Resign Duncan, Green, Mills as we have done.

Why - I think strengthening the bigs (particularly the PF spot Diaw, Bonner, Blair) is more important than improving on a strong guard rotation (Parker, Mills, Green, Manu, Neal). Talented, exceedingly mobile PFs - Kirilenko and Diaw are keys for future defensive matchups: guys like Lebron and Durant. No, you won't be able to stop them, but they need some effective pressure on them.

Thread Information