Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was stupid in the first place to have Blair play center.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs are done starting Blair. Didn't watch the playoffs?
    As long as the Spurs are shopping him, Blair will be starting. Why do you think he started last year?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would trade him for Golden States second rounder which would be a high second. No way they going to give us a high lotterly pick for Blair.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Spurs don't add a player or do a trade, one of Bonner or Blair will be the backup PF and get consistent minutes. While none would be good, I rather see Blair getting that spot than Bonner. Bonner might be better in the regular season but playoffs are what really matter and Bonner disappears in the playoffs. So if they don't find someone else, Spurs should keep Blair to have him as their backup PF.
    Yeah right. Barring injury to Bonner or him shooting something like 30% or less from 3 for a six or eight week span (and I'm not even sure that would do it), or Blair developing a reliable 15-17 foot jumper, this has no chance of happening.

It sounds great to say "Blair has more value to the Spurs than a 2nd". But the problem is, a year from now, that would equate to throwing an asset in the garbage, as they'll make no attempt to re-sign him. He's no great asset, but he is a asset and you don't waste those. Not when they're this inexpensive, at least.

Plus, he's the type who'd probably pout and cause problems. Last season was different; it was late in the season and the team was clearly making a championship push. Next season, it will be from day one and it's in a contract year. The team doesn't need distractions. And if they're only going to carry five bigs, then the fifth should be someone who's at least 6-9, athletic and capable of blocking a shot more than once in a blue moon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah right. Barring injury to Bonner or him shooting something like 30% or less from 3 for a six or eight week span (and I'm not even sure that would do it), or Blair developing a reliable 15-17 foot jumper, this has no chance of happening.
    So true.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TimVP mentioned Golden State -

I spent the last week working in Oakland, CA, and I stayed at the downtown Oakland Marriott, which houses the Golden State Warriors offices and practice facility. The Oracle Arena was maybe 10 minutes away from there.

The team offices are literally on the fourth and fifth floor of the hotel PARKING GARAGE. Very unimpressive. I ran into a Marketing Rep for the team - he said a new arena is in the works over in San Francisco (by AT&T Park). It won't be ready until 2017, per the rep.

I can't see a free agent NBA player being very excited about playing for the GSW. The general area is pretty bad. The hotel was nice, but I even saw a fistfight between some loser and a female security guard. The move to San Francisco will be a big positive for them, but its a long way off.
    I stayed in that hotel about ten years ago. I wondered why they had "Warriors" painted on the side of a storage building outside my window. Hadn't ever solved that mystery until today. You're right that it looks really cheap. Thank you. Interesting (to me) footnote: It was opening day, and I almost ran into Eck going through the automatic door.

P Double J R
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    toughness and physicality. If Dejuan had shown these attributes on a consistent basis, he would have been a major factor in the playoffs. And the Spurs most likely would have reached the finals. Blair has notbeen able to use his big body to his advantage except for rare instances. That's been my biggest gripe on him since he got here. He's not tall but his width and girth are extrordinary but he plays small always has.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    toughness and physicality. If Dejuan had shown these attributes on a consistent basis, he would have been a major factor in the playoffs. And the Spurs most likely would have reached the finals. Blair has notbeen able to use his big body to his advantage except for rare instances. That's been my biggest gripe on him since he got here. He's not tall but his width and girth are extrordinary but he plays small always has.
    fair assessment - I also wonder why he fell in love with the tear drop. No one will ever confuse him for TP.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I talk to a lot of fans of other teams who really like Blair, and think he's a tough, hard-nosed baller.

Not sure that mindset translates to any FOs, but I wouldn't be suprised to see a team give away a first round pick...perhaps with an additional kicker from SA to sweeten the deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Full circle.

Turning Richard Jefferson and DeJuan Blair into Stephen Jackson and a first round pick is grand theft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lack of acl is a lame excuse, he stills outplay some of the scrubs on their teams...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lack of acl is a lame excuse, he stills outplay some of the scrubs on their teams...
    Blair is a good player on an excellent team. Pop has lineup options now that he did not have 3 years ago when DeJuan got here.

DB may not have a 12 year career, but he can be a nice rotation player the next 4-5 years. Half of the 1st round picks from last month will not be as good as Blair. SA needs to get some value out of this guy and not give him away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I stayed in that hotel about ten years ago. I wondered why they had "Warriors" painted on the side of a storage building outside my window. Hadn't ever solved that mystery until today. You're right that it looks really cheap. Thank you. Interesting (to me) footnote: It was opening day, and I almost ran into Eck going through the automatic door.
    You're welcome.

I found the hotel to be a strange HQ for an NBA team in the 2010's when teams receive a lot of TV dollars. Maybe the Warriors have been there a long time.

The Spurs may have had crappy office space back in the 70's and early 80's when the NBA was less successful financially.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't SA have team offices at the Northside Practice facility? Maybe other office staff works at the AT&T Center as well. I don't know for sure.

I'd imagine Richard Jefferson had some initial shock when he reported to the GSWs and saw the practice/team facility. On the other hand, RJ was likely "thrilled" to be so much closer to San Francisco on a daily basis - just a 30 minute drive away.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We've been waiting for beast-mode Blair to return since his rookie year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    fair assessment - I also wonder why he fell in love with the tear drop. No one will ever confuse him for TP.
    Probably because it helps him compensate for being so undersized.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We've been waiting for beast-mode Blair to return since his rookie year.
    If It Hasn't happen yet it wont happen anytime soon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still think Blair is more valuable as one of a few pieces in a trade proposal than he would be by himself. I can see a team at the trade deadline giving up a defensive minded athletic 6'10" big for a package of Blair + Bonner/Mills + future draft pick. An offer of something like Blair + Splitter + Mills + draft pick could potentially net a borderline star...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blair is valuable to the Spurs as the roster stands now. If the Spurs can sign a vet for the minimum (say Martin or O'Neal) then shopping Blair for a first round pick would be the right move. But I would not want to go into the season with only Duncan, Diaw, Splitter as the only bigs. I won't even bother listing the ginger.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    I still think Blair is more valuable as one of a few pieces in a trade proposal than he would be by himself. I can see a team at the trade deadline giving up a defensive minded athletic 6'10" big for a package of Blair + Bonner/Mills + future draft pick. An offer of something like Blair + Splitter + Mills + draft pick could potentially net a borderline star...
    We can't trade Mills until either Dec 15th or Jan 15th. Not sure which, but I know there is a waiting period for new FA signees. I read it regarding the now apparenlty dead NJ/Orl trade for Howard. Now that NJ has signed Lopez, he also cannot be traded for months.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aside from his physical limitations, trading Blair straight up for a 1st is hard because (1) his contract is only $1M so the cap saving isn't that big a lure, and (2) Blair MUST be resigned next year. Why give up a 1st if you run the risk of Blair walking this time next summer? Is the $1M in cap space freed up worth the 1st?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably because it helps him compensate for being so undersized.
    The Manimal is undersized yet still plays like we were hoping Blair would play.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just thought of a decent idea, struggling to see which team would say no to this...

San Antonio
    Gives: DeJuan Blair, Gary Neal
    Receive: Taj Gibson

Chicago
    Gives: Taj Gibson, Carlos Boozer
    Receives: Gary Neal, Channing Frye

Phoenix
    Gives: Channing Frye
    Receives: Carlos Boozer, DeJuan Blair

It all works out as Phoenix has the cap space to take on Boozer. San Antonio obviously say yes to this, Phoenix would under the assumption they're happy acquiring any player with a name so they can sell tickets (Which is what I hear of Sarvar). Chicago rid themselves of that Boozer deal giving themselves considerable cap space next summer and get a cheap replacement for Kyle Korvers shooting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, Gibson and Boozer for Neal and Frye. Maybe Noak too

If they want to trade Boozer is because they have Gibson.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, Gibson and Boozer for Neal and Frye. Maybe Noak too

If they want to trade Boozer is because they have Gibson.
    They want to trade Boozer because he doesn't fit, his contract is big and it would open up considerable cap space for them next summer with Rose, Noah and Deng all signed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel sorry for Grizz - he has mostly played well for us and gets nothing but grief for it. It's not his fault that he doesn't fit what the team needs. If he could just improve his D to above average, and improve his consistency of focus on the offensive end, there'd be no reason to move him.

He's a fine 4th big for the pricetag, and we should definitely hold onto him, play him plenty, and deal him if the right offer materialises. Otherwise, I'm all for making him happy again and keeping him.

Thread Information