Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According the beat writer for the Golden State Warriors, the Spurs are asking for a first round pick for DeJuan Blair:

The Warriors would have an interest in San Antonio big man DeJuan Blair, according to a source. But the Spurs want a first-round pick in exchange. Not only do the Warriors not have one they can give, they wouldn't give it anyway. If the price comes down, GSW would check him out. He's not the athlete they want, but he'd bring the toughness and physicality they need

http://sulia.com/channel/golden-stat...-a7823c971813/
    Personally, I think that the Spurs should definitely hold out for a first rounder for Blair. While he has his faults, he can produce. On a mediocre team like the Warriors, he'd probably do rather well.

Eventually the Spurs may lower the asking price to a second rounder but that's not enough right now. Blair playing out his contract is worth more to the Spurs than a second round pick. Maybe if the Spurs land another big and Blair's no longer needed even as insurance, S.A. can reassess the situation. But for the time being, they really shouldn't trade him for less than a first round pick or a comparable player.

Overall, this is good news. The Spurs are still dealing from a position of strength with Blair and aren't simply trying to salary dump him somewhere. It now seems like at worst, the Spurs could eventually find a taker for a second round selection ... which is much better than releasing him for nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According the beat writer for the Golden State Warriors, the Spurs are asking for a first round pick for DeJuan Blair:

Personally, I think that the Spurs should definitely hold out for a first rounder for Blair. While he has his faults, he can produce. On a mediocre team like the Warriors, he'd probably do rather well.

Eventually the Spurs may lower the asking price to a second rounder but that's not enough right now. Blair playing out his contract is worth more to the Spurs than a second round pick. Maybe if the Spurs land another big and Blair's no longer needed even as insurance, S.A. can reassess the situation. But for the time being, they really shouldn't trade him for less than a first round pick or a comparable player.

Overall, this is good news. The Spurs are still dealing from a position of strength with Blair and aren't simply trying to salary dump him somewhere. It now seems like at worst, the Spurs could eventually find a taker for a second round selection ... which is much better than releasing him for nothing.
    I live near Oakland and heard this rumor on the local radio here. According to the local guys here, the Spurs had this asking price for this year's draft and the Warriors refused because they didn't feel a 2nd Round pick with no ACLs was worth a 1st Round pick in a deep draft. We'll see if the Spurs will lower their demands during the season. Maybe they'd be better off holding onto him and getting an active player for him by the deadline?

Delonte West fanclub pres lakerhaterade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

A first rounder from Golden State for Blair? Heck yes. That's more than likely a lottery pck

You sound as if that pick won't be of higher value, but think about it, we are talking about the Warriors here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blair is not worth a first round pick, especially one from a bad team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In related Blair news, there was another interesting series of events. In case you missed it, HoopsWorld posted this story about the Sixers wanting Blair:

Sixers Interested in DeJuan Blair: DeJuan Blair is on the outside of the Spurs plans looking in, and word is the Philadelphia 76ers would love to have him as a possible replacement for Elton Brand.

Blair is owed roughly $1 million for next season and has grown frustrated with the Spurs. For the last two years Blair played a role in the regular season, only to find himself anchored to the bench in the playoffs.

The Spurs explored trading Blair in and around the draft but could not consummate a deal. Blair has told those around him he expected to be moved and with teams like Philly having real interest, a deal seems probable.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-nba...ing-into-place
    A reporter asked Rod Thorn, president of the Sixers, about their interest, and this was how that conversation went:

Asked if ‪#Sixers‬ have no interest in DeJuan Blair. "You are correct," replied team president Rod Thorn.
    So Blair's value around the league is difficult to estimate. For the Sixers to so clearly dismiss the acquisition of Blair -- a player from that state who also fits a position of need and has a totally unguaranteed contract -- they must have absolutely zero interest.

My guess is that some teams aren't even allowed to try to acquire Blair because he can't pass a routine physical. Philly sounds like one of those teams. Otherwise, why wouldn't they even consider trading for a player who is literally due no money if they end up not wanting him?

All told, it's going to be difficult to trade Blair for good value. You have to find a team willing to accept Blair's lack of ACLs that also understands how much his production is worth relative to his cheap contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In related Blair news, there was another interesting series of events. In case you missed it, HoopsWorld posted this story about the Sixers wanting Blair:

A reporter asked Rod Thorn, president of the Sixers, about their interest, and this was how that conversation went:

So Blair's value around the league is difficult to estimate. For the Sixers to so clearly dismiss the acquisition of Blair -- a player from that state who also fits a position of need and has a totally unguaranteed contract -- they must have absolutely zero interest.

My guess is that some teams aren't even allowed to try to acquire Blair because he can't pass a routine physical. Philly sounds like one of those teams. Otherwise, why wouldn't they even consider trading for a player who is literally due no money if they end up not wanting him?

All told, it's going to be difficult to trade Blair for good value. You have to find a team willing to accept Blair's lack of ACLs that also understands how much his production is worth relative to his cheap contract.
    It seems like the same teams who passed up on him in the draft still haven't changed their assessments on him.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blair is not worth a first round pick, especially one from a bad team.
    Yeah, and Mahinmi wasn't worth two players. Teams have given up more for less this year. The Spurs should keep shopping him and be paitient. They have plenty of time to showcase him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    better ask for a first .glad they learned their lesson after the scola debacle

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, and Mahinmi wasn't worth two players. Teams have given up more for less this year. The Spurs should keep shopping him and be paitient. They have plenty of time to showcase him.
    The lack of ACLs is the deal breaker for teams, though.

silverblk mystix
    Spurs should respond to GW this way;

Ok, we will take the 2nd rounder---but only if you take Blair and Bonner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have plenty of time to showcase him.
    What do think they have been doing the past 2 regular seasons?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should respond to GW this way;

Ok, we will take the 2nd rounder---but only if you take Blair and Bonner.
    Bonner too? No, that would be a threat, not an offer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously, the Warriors already did us a favor by taking RJ off our hands, why would they take on more dead weight in Bonner? They're not stupid, especially after they had a pretty good draft. They're trying to build a good future moving forward...and it would be one without a Bonner.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs would be stupid to trade him for a second rounder. With a second rounder you're lucky if the guy can make the team. No reason to trade a guy who has proved he can play in the league for that. I'd rather just hold onto him as injury insurance or to eat minutes and let him walk this summer than get a pick that isn't worth much and not have him there to limit Duncan's minutes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes he's on a cheap contract, but unless you want a year rental or paltry 1M in cap savings next year, then you also face having to sign a player with no ACLs to a longer term deal.

I hope we can get a first rounder, but I think he'll be sweetener in a salary dump trade involving SJax or Bonner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs would be stupid to trade him for a second rounder. With a second rounder you're lucky if the guy can make the team. No reason to trade a guy who has proved he can play in the league for that. I'd rather just hold onto him as injury insurance or to eat minutes and let him walk this summer than get a pick that isn't worth much and not have him there to limit Duncan's minutes.

it would be scola all over again

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good news.

Blair is very valuable for those teams fighting for a playoff position.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good news.

Blair is very valuable for those teams fighting for a playoff position.

silverblk mystix
    Bonner too? No, that would be a threat, not an offer.
    Exactly.

Taking Bonner brings it down to a 2nd rounder.

Blair by himself=1ST round or keep Blair.

Blair + Bonner = 2nd rounder

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , for the WARRIOR'S 1st round pick I would offer Neal and Blair. Money is about right. You have to think that's a top 12 pick.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly.

Taking Bonner brings it down to a 2nd rounder.

Blair by himself=1ST round or keep Blair.

Blair + Bonner = 2nd rounder
    For teams fighting for a playoff position, Bonner is worth a 2nd rounder.

He could really help those teams in the regular season.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    If the Warriors sign Landry or Martin they're not going to want Blair.

I don't see any of the lower end teams giving up a first round pick either.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , for the WARRIOR'S 1st round pick I would offer Neal and Blair. Money is about right. You have to think that's a top 12 pick.
    Yeah, their first round pick would possibly be a top 20s considering they are in the west.

It would even better if they take Blair, Neal and Bonner together and Spurs could sign players like Scola.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sold that the Spurs are on a position of strength when nobody bites... that's probably a sign they're overvaluing... but I do agree he can eat minutes (and hopefully nothing else), and that helps San Antonio... I'm just not sold he's going to have his head there after two playoffs disappointments and all the shopping rumors... if he ends up mailing it in, then he's not useful to the Spurs at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Moving Blair for a 2nd round pick would be a bad move. Keep him for insurance at a minimum.

Thread Information