Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fans say a player sucks until they make suggestions for how to trade him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Moving Blair for a 2nd round pick would be a bad move. Keep him for insurance at a minimum.
    That's why they may wait until the trade deadline to trade him for an active player instead of a draft pick. Thing is, DB has to give his 100% effort during the season to increase his stock.

Enemy of the FCC and AMA Dr. John R. Brinkley's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think asking for a 1st rounder is a solid policy. For one, you don't give him up for nothing just to give him up. Secondly, if no one bites then Blair has to swallow his pride and realize that it's because no one wants him and he needs to get to work to increase his value.

He's tired of his role but if he gets motivated like he was the first season to prove doubters wrong and all that, then the team can showcase him for the first half of the season and hope to move him at the trade deadline.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think asking for a 1st rounder is a solid policy. For one, you don't give him up for nothing just to give him up. Secondly, if no one bites then Blair has to swallow his pride and realize that it's because no one wants him and he needs to get to work to increase his value.

He's tired of his role but if he gets motivated like he was the first season to prove doubters wrong and all that, then the team can showcase him for the first half of the season and hope to move him at the trade deadline.
    But if you move him at the deadline, you do it for a player who can help the team immediately not for a draft pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The best we could have done was getting our own pick back in this years draft from GSW.

I'd be surprised if he resigned with us after being benched for two consecutive playoff runs, right now its trade him or lose him.

Even GSW's #35 might have been worth it this year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since Pop and RC are ok with our our bigs....Yea, let's move the guy that could have helped us beat OKC, had he played of course.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade Blair for a 1st and then draft a Euro/Foreigner who never plays for the Spurs. Be sure to drag out the playing for the Spurs/not playing for the Spurs of said Border Bro for at least 3 years.

Enemy of the FCC and AMA Dr. John R. Brinkley's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But if you move him at the deadline, you do it for a player who can help the team immediately not for a draft pick.
    That would be true. I suppose I don't expect him to get traded for a first rounder and the scenario I described would be what I call a best case situation. Hopefully I'm wrong and he is traded for a 1st rounder in the summer. But I think most teams would rather grab someone off the scrap heap then give up a draft pick for Blair, however at the trade deadline a team might want to trade it's under-performing knucklehead. But really who knows what will happen. A lot of possibilities...except Bonner leaving the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade Blair for a 1st and then draft a Euro/Foreigner who never plays for the Spurs. Be sure to drag out the playing for the Spurs/not playing for the Spurs of said Border Bro for at least 3 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe a lottery protected 1st rounder from some team, but no chance for an unprotected 1.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Spurs don't add a player or do a trade, one of Bonner or Blair will be the backup PF and get consistent minutes. While none would be good, I rather see Blair getting that spot than Bonner. Bonner might be better in the regular season but playoffs are what really matter and Bonner disappears in the playoffs. So if they don't find someone else, Spurs should keep Blair to have him as their backup PF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop has a feverrrrr and the currrrrre is morrrrre Bonnerrrrrr.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Agree. A first-rounder for Blair isn't outrageous, it's actually smart on the Spurs part. In any negotiation, it's common practice to start high. If there is some team really interested in Blair now, but perhaps they may not want to cough up the price now, they could very well change their mind by the Feb trade deadline. The Spurs have the luxury of time on their side.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The best we could have done was getting our own pick back in this years draft from GSW.

I'd be surprised if he resigned with us after being benched for two consecutive playoff runs, right now its trade him or lose him.

Even GSW's #35 might have been worth it this year
    True. At the time, I also wanted to Spurs to reclaim the #30 pick in this past NBA draft (their own from the RJ trade). There were a couple of players available that probably could've helped them. However, it was not to be.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    True. At the time, I also wanted to Spurs to reclaim the #30 pick in this past NBA draft (their own from the RJ trade). There were a couple of players available that probably could've helped them. However, it was not to be.
    That was never going to happen, given the that GS took over that trade. That pick cost them $11M.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was never going to happen, given the that GS took over that trade. That pick cost them $11M.
    RJ can play, he's an average player. If those get the MLE, they accepted to overpay $5-6M for the pick.

But I agree they wont return the pick for Blair after paying so much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Spurs don't add a player or do a trade, one of Bonner or Blair will be the backup PF and get consistent minutes. While none would be good, I rather see Blair getting that spot than Bonner. Bonner might be better in the regular season but playoffs are what really matter and Bonner disappears in the playoffs. So if they don't find someone else, Spurs should keep Blair to have him as their backup PF.
    Best time to trade Bonner will not be until January or later where his contract value is at an all time high and his production once again begins to decline.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why didn't the Spurs should just add Blair to the RJ trade and keep their first rounder? His value was probably at it's highest at the time. With Pop removing him out of the rotation his value plummeted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why didn't the Spurs should just add Blair to the RJ trade and keep their first rounder? His value was probably at it's highest at the time. With Pop removing him out of the rotation his value plummeted.
    What gives you any reason to believe that the Warriors would have preferred Blair to the pick?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes he's on a cheap contract, but unless you want a year rental or paltry 1M in cap savings next year, then you also face having to sign a player with no ACLs to a longer term deal.

I hope we can get a first rounder, but I think he'll be sweetener in a salary dump trade involving SJax or Bonner.
    It's not just an economic decision, though - if you factor in the basketball reasons to keep him a second rounder isn't enough. Even a first round pick doesn't gurantee any NBA performance. With Blair, you know his production is beeter than even a lot of first rounders.

I don't think the Spurs are about to give him away based on what they won't be able to get next year for him whne you comparewhat they will be able to get out of him in production while they have him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TimVP mentioned Golden State -

I spent the last week working in Oakland, CA, and I stayed at the downtown Oakland Marriott, which houses the Golden State Warriors offices and practice facility. The Oracle Arena was maybe 10 minutes away from there.

The team offices are literally on the fourth and fifth floor of the hotel PARKING GARAGE. Very unimpressive. I ran into a Marketing Rep for the team - he said a new arena is in the works over in San Francisco (by AT&T Park). It won't be ready until 2017, per the rep.

I can't see a free agent NBA player being very excited about playing for the GSW. The general area is pretty bad. The hotel was nice, but I even saw a fistfight between some loser and a female security guard. The move to San Francisco will be a big positive for them, but its a long way off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Easy. Just have Blair as the starting C beginning the season when he's playing with motivation in increase his stock. When the teams bite and get interested, trade him off and we're good to go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeJuan Blair ‏@DeJuan45

My phone is goin off until next sat so hit me on here I will not answer!!! Handling some business!!! Thanks

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What gives you any reason to believe that the Warriors would have preferred Blair to the pick?
    They took RJ.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Easy. Just have Blair as the starting C beginning the season when he's playing with motivation in increase his stock. When the teams bite and get interested, trade him off and we're good to go.
    The Spurs are done starting Blair. Didn't watch the playoffs?

Thread Information