Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Big Government Yonivore wants more laws so we can prevent hypothetical crimes from happening. He must be a huge gun control proponent.

Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The article you copied those quotes from without linking suggests that claim is unsubstantiated.
    It's linked in the post. The testimony states that 213 people that pre-deceased the election, voted. That wasn't a suggestion but, an under-oath statement.

How do you find who used a dead person's registration to vote? Cameras aren't allowed at polling places so, what investigative technique do you suggest be employed to divine who took on the iden ies of 213 dead people, walked into a polling place, and cast a ballot?

I say we make it harder for dead people to vote by making them show a valid, government-issued, photo identification card when they show up at the poll.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's linked in the post. The testimony states that 213 people that pre-deceased the election, voted. That wasn't a suggestion but, an under-oath statement.
    Ohhh, it was under oath, well that means they proved it, I guess. Nevermind!

They must just be working on those arrests... I know these investigations take time, but I'm sure A.G. Greg Abbott was highly motivated to get to the bottom of all of this when the report was sent to his office.

How do you find who used a dead person's registration to vote? Cameras aren't allowed at polling places so, what investigative technique do you suggest be employed to divine who took on the iden ies of 213 dead people, walked into a polling place, and cast a ballot?
    I'm not a detective, but the process starts with proving how many of those were the result of clerical errors, something that clearly had not been investigated fully at the time that claim was made, if you read the Politifact article.

I say we make it harder for dead people to vote by making them show a valid, government-issued, photo identification card when they show up at the poll.
    I say dead people haven't shown a propensity to want to vote so it's a solution to a nonexistent problem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, well, Voter ID is now the law and it doesn't appear the U. S. Supreme Court is going to overturn it.

So, we can continue to agree to disagree on the matter.

I'll gladly present my photo ID when I vote.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Which elections have been thrown by alleged voter fraud?

Which elections have been thrown by voter suppression, disenfranchisement, insane gerrymandering by the Repugs?

note: SCOTUS5 says gerrymandering is OK for screwing the opposition, building a structural block to losing elections, but gerrymandering based race isn't. ing SCOTUS, what a joke. NO LAW IS ABOVE THE MAN.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, well, Voter ID is now the law and it doesn't appear the U. S. Supreme Court is going to overturn it.

So, we can continue to agree to disagree on the matter.

I'll gladly present my photo ID when I vote.
    I must have mistakenly given the impression that I had any delusions that we would not continue to disagree on the matter. I just wanted to show that you are a shill with no substantial rationale or intellectual honesty behind your position on Voter ID, and I think I've succeeded in doing that.

Thanks for the discussion!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, you won the internet, Spurminator. Good job.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, you won the internet, Spurminator. Good job.
    I enjoyed reading him/her logically dismantle your arugements.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I enjoyed reading him/her logically dismantle your arugements.
    His/her logic could have been used by me

Show me evidence that voter ID laws suppress voter turnout. See how that works?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Show me evidence that voter ID laws suppress voter turnout.
    http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/show...=1#post7678559

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His/her logic could have been used by me

Show me evidence that voter ID laws suppress voter turnout. See how that works?
    So your default position is to implement laws and regulation regardless of whether or not there is a need?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So your default position is to implement laws and regulation regardless of whether or not there is a need?
    I believe there's a need.

I believe there is voter fraud.

So do the voter's that passed the Voter ID law. (That's right, voters. We elected the Legislature that passed the law - they represent us.)

I don't believe requiring a voter to identify and qualify themselves, when voting, is an undue burden on the voter.

Nor do the courts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

But you've already conceded your belief is not based on any imperial evidence. It's based solely on emotion. Sorry, but that doesn't make for good policy.

So do the voter's that passed the Voter ID law. (That's right, voters. We elected the Legislature that passed the law - they represent us.)

I don't believe requiring a voter to identify and qualify themselves, when voting, is an undue burden on the voter.

Nor do the courts.
    That's a lie: https://www.texastribune.org/2014/10...w-uncons ut/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But you've already conceded your belief is not based on any imperial evidence. It's based solely on emotion. Sorry, but that doesn't make for good policy.
    I've conceded nothing of the sort. The evidence supporting voter fraud is just as empirical as that of voter ID suppressing votes.

And, yet, The Supreme Court stayed the ruling until after the election. Something tells me that if they thought it was even a close call, they wouldn't have waded in. Incidentally, they've upheld similar laws in other states so, I'm guessing this one will pass muster, as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've conceded nothing of the sort. The evidence supporting voter fraud is just as empirical as that of voter ID suppressing votes.
    It's really not. You've yet to provide any empirical evidence that in-person voter fraud exists. When asked to do so, you linked to some unsubstantiated bull and when you were called on it, you simply said whelp, it's the law of the land. You have not provided any evidence that voter ID law is good policy.

And, yet, The Supreme Court stayed the ruling until after the election. Something tells me that if they thought it was even a close call, they wouldn't have waded in. Incidentally, they've upheld similar laws in other states so, I'm guessing this one will pass muster, as well.

The ruling was stayed due to the proximity of the ruling to the election. The Texas ruling was unique in that explicitly stated the law "was imposed with an uncons utional discriminatory purpose". We'll see if it's upheld, but to act as if it's a foregone conclusion is simply another emotional response.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Been there, seen it.

Doesn't say what you hope it does.

In the method Texas Watchdog used, matching first, last and middle names and dates of birth, two people with a common name born on the same day could be mixed up with each other.
    You have evidence of clerical lag.

FAIL.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Nor do the courts.
    You always seem to be vague about the types of fraud you say exists.

Either deliberately misleading, or ignorant of what fraud actually exists.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you suggesting 213 dead people didn't vote in Houston?
    In one case identified by Texas Watchdog, a poll worker's mistake may have led to a faulty record.

John Medford said there must have been a mix-up when he was told his father -– who died in 2006 –- had voted in the March Democratic primary.

They lived at the same Neff Street address. They shared their name: John Curtis Medford. But the father was born in 1917, the son in 1951.

“My mom and I voted. That’s all I know,” Medford said. But the younger Medford didn’t vote, records show.

Poll workers apparently recorded the father as showing up to the polls, not the son.
    I will suggest precisely that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Ingram put it this way in his testimony: 'We believe 239 folks voted in the recent election after passing away' including, he said, 213 who voted in person."
    "Mortara asked Ingram: 'Does the investigation you performed on the May voting data tell you anything about the prevalence of in person voter fraud of this type?'

"Ingram replied: 'It tells us that it's more common than we thought...'"
    Your quote isn't in that article.

Wow... that is misleading... even for you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah... there we go.

Found Yoni's quote.

Unsurprisingly..

Greg Abbott says state proved in court that more than 200 dead people voted in the latest Texas elections

http://www.politifact.com/texas/stat...-voters-Texas/

Our ruling

Abbott said the recent trial proved that more than 200 dead people voted in the latest elections, the May 2012 party primaries.

But the trial was less conclusive.

To recap: An elections official testified that after comparing a list of 50,000 dead registered voters -- where’s that headline? -- to records of voters in the recent primaries, "we believe" that 239 "folks voted in the recent election after passing away," meaning 239 voters cast ballots using voter registrations of dead Texans. According to his testimony, the state then took the best matches and sought death certificates "for as many of those as we could round up in a short time." Ten death certificates came back and, the official testified, four names, birth dates and Social Security numbers completely aligned on the lists and death certificates.

We can see how this information might raise flags, but we do not see that it proves there were more than 200 dead voters, so to speak. That's because there’s a difference between suspecting fraud and proving it. After all, Abbott's office has been handed the 200-plus matches to investigate.

His claim rates Mostly False.
    Nothing was actually proven, other than Abbott is willing to manufacture evidence to provide cover for cynical ploys to disenfranchise voters. Nobody went to jail. No investigation of this heinous crime ever brought a prosecution.

What a s bag.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your quote isn't in that article.

Wow... that is misleading... even for you.
    It wasn't intentional. I had two articles up and pasted the wrong one without noticing.

So, how many votes were suppressed by the law?

The dead can vote in NYC

Voter subs ution can and does occur. The only way to stop it at the polling place is to require a voter to qualify themselves when they show up to vote and, the best way to do that is to require a government-issued photo identification.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah... there we go.

Found Yoni's quote.

Unsurprisingly..

Greg Abbott says state proved in court that more than 200 dead people voted in the latest Texas elections

http://www.politifact.com/texas/stat...-voters-Texas/

Nothing was actually proven, other than Abbott is willing to manufacture evidence to provide cover for cynical ploys to disenfranchise voters. Nobody went to jail. No investigation of this heinous crime ever brought a prosecution.

What a s bag.
    Trying to figure out who cast the votes is a waste of time, after the fact. You're not going to change the outcome of the election and you're going to spend a lot of money trying to identify people who are not required to identify themselves and are not subject to being photographed or recorded when they commit the crime. The best you're going to do is prove the fraudulent votes occurred and, according to the testimony, the AG's office was satisfied the fraud occurred. Requiring a photo ID at the polls will go a long way to ending this type of fraud.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah... there we go.

Found Yoni's quote.
    Spurminator beat you by about 9 hours (according to the forum's clock).

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/show...=1#post7678797

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "AG"

Of course, Abbott would "run" a politicized, REPUG AG office in ing TX "satisfied" that the Repugs' decades propaganda of rampant, election-throwing voting fraud was confirmed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    THE “DISENFRANCHISEMENT” MYTH

After much soul searching, the left has found the explanation for the walloping suffered by Democrats last week — “disfranchisement” of likely Democratic voters. Wendy Weiser of the left-wing Brennan Center for Justice argues that “in several key races, the margin of victory came very close to the likely margin of disenfranchisement.”

The race between Thom Tillis and Kay Hagan is the only Senate contest Weiser discusses in which the Republican won. She notes that four years ago, 200,000 ballots were cast during the seven days of early voting that North Carolina eliminated when it shortened the early voting period. The state also eliminated Election Day registration. In 2012, 100,000 North Carolinians registered on Election Day, almost one-third of whom are Black.

Thom Tillis’ margin of victory over Kay Hagan was around 48,000 votes. Weiser believes that the new rules account for Hagan’s shortfall.

Weiser’s case is unpersuasive. As election law expert Rick Hasen points out, the relevant question is: “how many people who WANTED to vote this year DID NOT DO SO (and reasonably could not have done so) BECAUSE of the changes in the voting rules.”

One cannot assume that the 200,000 people who, in 2010, cast votes during the seven days of early voting that were eliminated before the 2014 election did not vote in 2014. They might well have voted on remaining early voting dates or they might have voted on Election Day or through an absentee ballot. Similarly, many voters who would have registered on Election Day had this been allowed might have registered earlier in response to publicity about the change in the election laws.

Francis Barry of Bloomberg, having looked more closely than Weiser at the numbers, concludes that North Carolina’s voting law changes did not determine the outcome of the Senate race. He notes that even with seven fewer early voting days, early voting in North Carolina increased this year by 35 percent compared with the 2010 midterm.

Moreover, statewide turnout as a whole increased from the previous midterm election, from 43.7 percent to 44.1 percent. And the share of the Black vote as a percentage of the total increased from its 2010 level.

In short, Blacks seem to have responded at least as intelligently and nimbly as Whites to the simple changes in North Carolina’s voting procedure. Eric Holder’s expert witness and the leftists who share his views appear to have been wrong in assuming that Blacks are dumber and less civic-minded than Whites.

Thread Information