Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fraudulent Votes, Voter Identification and the 2012 US General Election, by John Ahlquist and Kenneth R. Mayer of the University of Wisconsin, and Simon Jackman of Stanford.
    The authors conducted a survey experiment "to measure the prevalence of two specific types of voter fraud: repeat/fraudulent ballot casting and vote buying." Their conclusion: "The notion that voter impersonation is a widespread behavior is totally contradicted by these data."

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    im in socal and that wasn't needed in our district.

you can get care with or without id.
    I don't mean in the ER - they're gonna treat you with or without ID there. I meant when I'm visiting someone in the hospital or if I have to take x-ray/procedure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Caught in the Act: Recent Federal Election Fraud Cases, by Delia Bailey of the Washington University in St. Louis. Bailey unearthed only nine federal election fraud cases occurring between 2000 and 2005.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    i don't know....i'm kinda ready to support that vote buying thing you're talking about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They Just Do Not Vote Like They Used To: A Methodology to Empirically Assess Election Fraud
    Results. After examining approximately 2.1 million votes cast during the 2006 general election in Georgia, we find no evidence that election fraud was committed under the au es of deceased registrants.
    http://digitalcommons.kennesaw.edu/facpubs/2165/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you think a political party should be able to prevent voters from opposing political parties from casting ballots?
    this has nothing to do with a political party
    the minority people are the ones likely to have no id
    there is also a greater chance in the USA that a minority person is not a legal person that is not a racist statement that just is a fact

in 20 years whites might be the minority in the usa

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I don't mean in the ER - they're gonna treat you with or without ID there. I meant when I'm visiting someone in the hospital or if I have to take x-ray/procedure.
    you understand that you live differently, right? you got everything that people should have or least should try to obtain.

they're not trying to suppress your vote.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    the minority vote and the minority people are the ones likely to have no id
    there is also a greater chance in the USA that a minority person is not a legal person that is not a racist statement that just is a fact

boom

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you understand that you live differently, right? you got everything that people should have or least should try to obtain.

they're not trying to suppress your vote.
    My point is that not having a photo ID prevents one (at least in Miami) from doing all those things I mentioned above. If poor people do anyone of those things above, then they have photo IDs and I don't see the problem with requiring one to vote. Don't you people need ID to enter court/government buildings? to do jury duty? basically to function in society? Why aren't people blasting the school officials, hospital administrations, court/government officials from preventing them from entering those buildings or collecting benefits?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    My point is that not having a photo ID prevents one (at least in Miami) from doing all those things I mentioned above. If poor people do anyone of those things above, then they have photo IDs and I don't see the problem with requiring one to vote. Don't you people need ID to enter court/government buildings? to do jury duty? basically to function in society? Why aren't people blasting the school officials, hospital administrations, court/government officials from preventing them from entering those buildings or collecting benefits?
    i don't think you need it to do all that. then again i'm not positive. but like i said, a lot of people don't function in society like we do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (shrugs)

not opposed to the concept of having IDs and being functional people.

BUT

The cost of keeping legitimate voters away, is far, far outweighed by the NON-EXISTANT benefit of preventing a type of voter fraud that doesn't exist.

The thing that should concern you far more is that GOP leadership knows the problem doesn't exist, but push for it anyway.

Should people have their votes take from them by the Republican party for the sole reason that they might vote Democrat?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the minority people are the ones likely to have no id

in 20 years whites might be the minority in the usa
    It has everything to do with a political party.

Why are the only people pushing for this Republican?

Why did the legislature ask for the effects of cutting back on voting hours/places by race, then vote to cut back the ones that affected minorities most?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://electionlawblog.org/wp-conten...ads/nc-4th.pdf

After years of preclearance and expansion of voting access,
    by 2013 African American registration and turnout rates had
    finally reached near-parity with white registration and turnout
    rates. African Americans were poised to act as a major
    electoral force. But, on the day after the Supreme Court issued
    Shelby County v. Holder, 133 S. Ct. 2612 (2013), eliminating
    preclearance obligations, a leader of the party that newly
    dominated the legislature (and the party that rarely enjoyed
    African American support) announced an intention to enact what
    he characterized as an “omnibus” election law. Before enacting
    that law, the legislature requested data on the use, by race, of
    a number of voting practices. Upon receipt of the race data,
    the General Assembly enacted legislation that restricted voting
    and registration in five different ways, all of which
    disproportionately affected African Americans.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Florida Gov. Rick Scott Under Fire for Voter Registration Decision

Florida Gov. Rick Scott's refusal to extend his state's deadline for voter registration in response to Hurricane Matthew is leading to fears that perhaps tens of thousands of Floridians could be kept from registering, potentially impacting the presidential race.

The deadline to register is Tuesday, but with 1.5 million Floridians under mandatory evacuation orders, the Hillary Clinton campaign had urged Scott to extend it. He declined.

"Everybody has had a lot of time to register," Scott, a Republican and staunch Donald Trump supporter, said Thursday night. "On top of that, we've got lots of opportunities to vote: Early voting, absentee voting and Election Day. So I don't intend to make any changes."

NBC News, in partnership with the voter file company TargetSmart, analyzed data from 2012 for the 12 Florida counties that were evacuated due to Hurricane Matthew. During the final week of registration that year, 24,656 new Democrats registered, compared to 10,322 new Republicans. There were 21,485 registrations for "no party."

when asked whether it appeared Scott refused to extend the voter registration deadline for partisan reasons.

"Absolutely," he said.

for Democrats, because of the demographic groups that take particular advantage of late registration.

They're often people of lower socioeconomic status, who didn't register at the DMV because they don't have cars or drive. Or they're young voters who didn't make registration a priority. Or they're newly-naturalized citizens who didn't want to wait in line to register to vote after their naturalization ceremony. In short, likely Democratic voters.

"It's a whole swath of individuals, many of them are going to be lower socioeconomic, tend to be younger and tend to be minority. And as a result, they disproportionately do register as either Democrats or no-party affiliates and we know that just by going back and looking at previous records,"

"We're on a massive voter registration intake right now," said Goodman, whose organization is non-partisan. "It's come to a grinding halt in these coastal areas."

"Gov. Scott is awful. Is disenfranchising voters really the GOP's only strategy to try to win? Sadly it seems so."

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elec...1796?cid=sm_fb

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Federal Judge Orders More Time for Voter Registration in Florida

A federal judge in Florida late Monday ordered the state to extend the deadline for registering to vote by one day and set a hearing on whether to extend it even further.

Under Florida law, voters had until Tuesday, Oct. 11, to register to vote. But Judge Mark Walker said in view of the disruption caused by Hurricane Matthew, the state should have extended it to Wednesday.

Noting that that storm's damage affected some parts of the state more than others, the judge said "it would be grossly inappropriate" to allow voters in Jacksonville to register later than those in Pensacola.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elec...sm_fb_lastword

Repugs always respecting the "credibility of the electoral process"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another good example.

Evidence exists that people will pretend to be someone else to get money.
    Ok to ask for ID, to prevent this problem.

Evidence does not exist that shows in person voter fraud is a problem.

Again, see the difference there?

Asking for ID in one case solves a real problem.
    Asking for ID in another case does not solve a real problem.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New Mexico Republicans threaten Albuquerque residents: “Your neighbors will know” if Democrats win

The flier warns voters leaning Democrat that they will be outed because "voting is a matter of public record"

While it’s a matter of public record if you’ve voted, a secret ballot election ensures that no one will know how you’ve voted.

http://www.salon.com/2016/10/17/new-...democrats-win/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While Donald Trump talks of a “rigged election,” Mike Pence may suppress the votes of nearly 50,000 African-Americans

Is Mike Pence using law enforcement in his state to gin up false fears of voter fraud?

http://www.salon.com/2016/10/17/whil...can-americans/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The GOP Created the “Rigged Vote” Myth

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...vote_myth.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because Repugs love knitters as much as they love the Cons ution

MASSIVE VOTER SUPPRESSION IN OHIO STOPPED JUST IN TIME

http://whowhatwhy.org/2016/10/27/mas...ped-just-time/

... is why Repugs LOVE Kasich and his racist OH administration.

Remember, it was OH Secy of State Blackwell/Repug who fraud-counted dubya in 2004 to be elected by SCALIA.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nevada's tea party secretary of state rejects Indian tribes' request for reservation polling sites

federal district Judge Miranda Du ordered the state of Nevada to provide early voting and Election Day polling sites on the reservations of two of the state’s Indian tribes.

The tribes had complained that their members had to drive scores of miles to register and to vote, and the judge agreed that they were being treated differently than non-Indian rural residents of the state.

But when nine other Nevada tribes sought after Du’s ruling to get polling places set up on their own reservations—members of one of the tribes, Duckwater Shoshone Reservation in Nye County, must make a 275-mile roundtrip to register and vote—Republican Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske said nothing doing.

She told the Inter-Tribal Council of Nevada, which made the request, that their letter had arrived too late, just 24 hours before a two-week schedule of early voting began:

Cegavske added that she consulted with each of the seven county officials who would be impacted by the request and determined that it is too late to redistribute voting machines “because they are already in place and calibrated for use at their current early voting locations.”

She also noted that “there is insufficient time” to recruit and train poll workers.

Finally, she added, “there is still considerable legal uncertainty as to who would be authorized to investigate and prosecute potential election law violations occurring on sovereign tribal lands.”

That’s not the view of Bret Healy, who consults with Four Directions. He said that previously, the secretary of state’s office has set up additional polling locations in other rural parts of the state in less than 48 hours.

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016...-polling-sites

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who watches the poll watchers? Militia and dirty tricksters seek to intimidate voters.

Oath Keeper militia member on roof of building in Ferguson, Missouri

Trump campaign is still pushing for followers to get out there and watch those treacherous polls. And Trump supporters are responding.

Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes urged members of his fringe group to head to the polls on Election Day to make sure that the 2016 race is not “stolen” from American voters. …

“We call on you to form up incognito intelligence gathering and crime spotting teams and go out into public on election day, dressed to blend in with the public,

without any Oath Keepers hat or T shirt on, and with video, still camera, and notepad in hand, to look for and do ent suspected criminal vote fraud or intimidation activities,”

Rhodes wrote on the group’s website.

Oath Keepers brought armed members to Ferguson to guard white-owned businesses, and its members also made up a portion of those present at the Bundy Ranch.

Rhodes isn’t the only one urging this kind of action. Trump ally Roger Stone created a group that planned to go out with both cameras and fake badges.

Vote Protectors, the anti-voter-fraud group hosted by Donald Trump ally and political dirty trickster Roger Stone, plans to send volunteers to monitor polling places in nine cities with high minority populations on Election Day, Stone said last week. Untrained poll-watchers have intimidated voters in previous elections. But Vote Protectors is going further than its predecessors.

And that’s far from all the Trump forces on their way to “watch” the polls.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/1...the-tax-breaks

what a bunch of self-important, self-aggrandizing rightwingnut sickos.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who watches the poll watchers? Militia and dirty tricksters seek to intimidate voters.

Oath Keeper militia member on roof of building in Ferguson, Missouri

Trump campaign is still pushing for followers to get out there and watch those treacherous polls. And Trump supporters are responding.

Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes urged members of his fringe group to head to the polls on Election Day to make sure that the 2016 race is not “stolen” from American voters. …

“We call on you to form up incognito intelligence gathering and crime spotting teams and go out into public on election day, dressed to blend in with the public,

without any Oath Keepers hat or T shirt on, and with video, still camera, and notepad in hand, to look for and do ent suspected criminal vote fraud or intimidation activities,”

Rhodes wrote on the group’s website.

Oath Keepers brought armed members to Ferguson to guard white-owned businesses, and its members also made up a portion of those present at the Bundy Ranch.

Rhodes isn’t the only one urging this kind of action. Trump ally Roger Stone created a group that planned to go out with both cameras and fake badges.

Vote Protectors, the anti-voter-fraud group hosted by Donald Trump ally and political dirty trickster Roger Stone, plans to send volunteers to monitor polling places in nine cities with high minority populations on Election Day, Stone said last week. Untrained poll-watchers have intimidated voters in previous elections. But Vote Protectors is going further than its predecessors.

And that’s far from all the Trump forces on their way to “watch” the polls.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/1...the-tax-breaks

what a bunch of self-important, self-aggrandizing rightwingnut sickos.

"Vote Protectors"?

This oughta be good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am only interested in a valid, scientifically conducted exit poll.” Stone later noted that Vote Protectors was collaborating with his group, Stop the Steal, but he said they were not one and the same.

Stone said that unlike the model currently run by Vote Protectors, his group would “ask each poll worker to sign a sworn affidavit that the information they turn in for tabulation is true based on interviews.”

These affidavits, Stone told radio host Alex Jones Tuesday, could then be used by the Trump campaign to contest the election results.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0a03911ee03bc

Alex Jones is all up in it.

One can only hope Jones finally blows a blood vessel in his brain.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For years, the Republican Party engaged in widespread voter intimidation and, in 1981, the Democrats called them on it in court. In a gubernatorial election in New Jersey, the Republican National Committee (RNC) targeted racial and ethnic minority voters by, among other things, recruiting armed “off-duty sheriffs and police officers to intimidate voters by standing at polling places in minority precincts during voting with ‘National Ballot Security Task Force’ armbands”. To resolve the lawsuit, the RNC agreed to stop “engag[ing[ or assist[ing] in voter fraud prevention” without the pre-approval of a federal court. This agreement expires next year, as long as the RNC stays clean. But if the party violates the rules this fall, the decree will be extended for another eight years.
    http://www.economist.com/blogs/democ...angled-rigging

Thread Information