Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know about Indians, but Asians are dominating the UCLA campus now that AA been banned there.

Here's some more interesting info:

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Educati...ns-at-colleges
    Asians dominated UCLA way before that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Asians dominated UCLA way before that.
    At UCLA? UC-Berkeley is different, but I don't think there were as many Asians at UCLA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At UCLA? UC-Berkeley is different, but I don't think there were as many Asians at UCLA.
    Yes, UCLA was full of Asian Americans long before this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, UCLA was full of Asian Americans long before this.
    At the same rate?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At the same rate?
    At the rate their numbers dominated most of my classes there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    -
    Last edited by DMX7; 07-02-2015 at 11:01 AM. Reason: delete

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neither special cir stances nor grades were determinative. Of the 841 students admitted under these criteria, 47 had worse grades than Fisher, and 42 of them were white. On the other end, UT rejected 168 black and Latino students with scores equal to or better than Fisher’s.

To call this discrimination is to say that Fisher was en led to a space at the UT Austin, despite grades that didn’t make the cut. It’s worth pointing out that the university gave her the choice of transferring from a satellite school, which she rejected.
    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...firmative.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    She and other applicants who did not make the cut were evaluated based on two scores.

One allotted points for grades and test scores. The other, called a personal achievement index, awarded points for two required essays, leadership, activities, service and "special cir stances." Those included socioeconomic status of the student or the student's school, coming from a home with a single parent or one where English wasn't spoken. And race.

Those two scores, combined, determine admission.

Even among those students, Fisher did not particularly stand out. Court records show her grade point average (3.59) and SAT scores (1180 out of 1600) were good but not great for the highly selective flagship university.

The school's rejection rate that year for the remaining 841 openings was higher than the turn-down rate for students trying to get into Harvard.

As a result,
    university officials claim in court filings that even if Fisher received points for her race and every other personal achievement factor, the letter she received in the mail still would have said no.

It's true that the university, for whatever reason, offered provisional admission to some students with lower test scores and grades than Fisher. Five of those students were black or Latino. Forty-two were white.

Neither Fisher nor Blum mentioned those 42 applicants in interviews. Nor did they acknowledge the 168 black and Latino students with grades as good as or better than Fisher's who were also denied entry into the university that year. Also left unsaid is the fact that Fisher turned down a standard UT offer under which she could have gone to the university her sop re year if she earned a 3.2 GPA at another Texas university school in her freshman year.

In an interview last month, Blum agreed Fisher's credentials and cir stances make it difficult to argue — as he and his supporters have so ardently in public — that but for her race Fisher would have been a Longhorn.

"There are some Anglo students who had lower grades than Abby who were admitted also," Blum told ProPublica. "Litigation like this is not a black and white paradigm."

Blum started his one-man nonprofit, the Project on Fair Representation, in 2005. The organization is funded by deep-pocketed conservatives to, according to its website, influence "jurisprudence, public policy, and public at udes regarding race and ethnicity" in voting, education, contracting and employment. To do so, Blum — who is not a lawyer — helps arrange pro bono representation to fight race-based policies that were meant to address inequalities.

According to a Reuters profile, Blum has brought at least a dozen lawsuits against such programs and laws — including four that made it to the Supreme Court. He has two on the current docket, Fisher and the Shelby County, Ala., case challenging a key provision of the Voting Rights Act.

In the Fisher case, while the young woman may have lent her name to the lawsuit, the case before the Court has very little to do with her. Her name appears just five times in the thousands of words that make up the body of the complaint. She has already gone on to graduate from Louisiana State University, her second choice, and is working in finance at a firm in Austin.

Asked by a news reporter what harm she had suffered, she cited only her inability to tap into UT's alumni network and possibly missing out on a better first job. If she wins, Fisher seeks only the return of her application fee and housing deposit — a grand total of $100 in damages.

So while the Fisher case has been billed as a referendum on affirmative action, its backers have significantly grander ambitions: They seek to make the case a referendum on the 14th Amendment itself. At issue is whether the Cons ution's equal protection clause, drafted by Congress during Reconstruction to ensure the rights of black Americans, also prohibits the use of race to help them overcome the nation's legacy of racism.

The Supreme Court has never ruled that the Cons ution bars any and all laws and government programs that consider race. But Blum and his supporters, seeing an opening with the current Court, seek to overturn more than a century of precedent.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/07/what...e+Raw+Story%29

So like the
    King V Burwell, the Fisher case is total and complete BULL , financed by RACIST WHITE REPUG CONSERVATIVES to overturn 100 years of precedent in the name of comparatively mediocre student Fisher.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    btw, Blum of Maine has is oppressed, distressed, repulsed by the high number of blacks in Maine: 1.4%

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/23000.html

Thread Information