Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Yeah, pretty surprising for Iowa St and even Kansas, imo.

if they did a show of hands today, I wonder how many schools would go for a conference network? maybe half?

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Guess it kind of depends on what kind of exposure each school values. Cyclone TV is only available on cable in Iowa and on the internets, but its all Cyclones all the time. That certainly makes scheduling and local marketing easier, and I'm not sure the Big 12 could merit multiple subchannels like the Big 10 and Pac 12.

, I'm watching the AAC baseball tournament right now on their Roku channel. There are so many ways to skin the cat now.

Post Count
    Guess it kind of depends on what kind of exposure each school values. Cyclone TV is only available on cable in Iowa and on the internets, but its all Cyclones all the time. That certainly makes scheduling and local marketing easier, and I'm not sure the Big 12 could merit multiple subchannels like the Big 10 and Pac 12.

, I'm watching the AAC baseball tournament right now on their Roku channel. There are so many ways to skin the cat now.
    Of course, networks probably aren't paying those schools $15 million per year. Moreover, being on tv throughout the state of Texas means more than being on TV throughout the state of Iowa given that Texas has 2 of the top 10 Nielsen tv markets and 4 top 40 Nielsen tv markets. I think it was a mistake from the beginning for ESPN to try to make LHN a national channel. It should have tried to make it a regional channel and given people outside the region the option to buy it as part of a premium sports package.

Post Count
    How many people outside of the SEC region are really watching that network?

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    How many people outside of the SEC region are really watching that network?
    I've had the channel since it started and I haven't watched one minute of it. Then again, outside of the NBA playoffs, and Texas football I don't watch much other sports.

Post Count
    I've had the channel since it started and I haven't watched one minute of it. Then again, outside of the NBA playoffs, and Texas football I don't watch much other sports.
    ...and you're in "SEC Country", lol.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Of course, networks probably aren't paying those schools $15 million per year. Moreover, being on tv throughout the state of Texas means more than being on TV throughout the state of Iowa given that Texas has 2 of the top 10 Nielsen tv markets and 4 top 40 Nielsen tv markets. I think it was a mistake from the beginning for ESPN to try to make LHN a national channel. It should have tried to make it a regional channel and given people outside the region the option to buy it as part of a premium sports package.
    How would it be a mistake? It's not like longhorn network is expensive outside the Texas region:

".... all of the national subscribers outside the state of Texas -- that's roughly 13.5 million subscribers -- are paying $0.02 a month, or $0.24 a year, for the Longhorn Network...."

Post Count
    How would it be a mistake? It's not like longhorn network is expensive outside the Texas region:

".... all of the national subscribers outside the state of Texas -- that's roughly 13.5 million subscribers -- are paying $0.02 a month, or $0.24 a year, for the Longhorn Network...."
    That's what they're paying now. But they screwed up the launch of the network by trying to force that channel on tv providers as a national channel on nearly the basic channel package. The tv providers wanted the channel but only as a premium channel -- which is what caused all the problems and screwed up the launch.

Thread Information