My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Base Civilian Welcoming Committee: Clovis

Base Civilian Aloha Committee: Hawaii

ok that's all (especially since I am just making committees and stuff up now).

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I hate all of you. So, so much.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Promise to send me one?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I heard the deer dump is a great Clovis tradition

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only $179,000 to own a piece of the American Dream in sunny Clovis

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

We're happy that you chose Clovis to live, work and play! Clovis is an outstanding community with a heart as big as our skies. Welcome to Clovis and enjoy your stay!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hi Tom,

I spent a few days with my sister in Clovis earlier this month. While I didn't make it to Portales this trip, I can tell you that Clovis seems to be doing very well. There are several new housing developments either under construction or just completed, on the northeast side of town. The commercial district continues to expand north on Prince Street, now stretching out beyond Llano Estacado. Any new hotels being built in Clovis are now on the north side along Prince instead of on the southeast side along Mabry (US 60/84). And you're right, the new lease on life at Cannon AFB means good things for the Clovis economy.

Prince Street was being resurfaced during my visit, and the entire commercial district had a "fresh and clean" look to it.

My sister lived in Portales back in the 60's, but I haven't visited there much since then. I wish I could give you a report on it, but cannot. I do know that the Clovis-Portales area is now home to several commercial dairy operations, which relocated from California for one reason or another. At times I could catch a whiff but it wasn't so strong to be annoying. I didn't notice the ethanol "fragrance" during my visit.

If your travels take you back to Clovis/Portales, I think you'll be pleased with what you find. While Clovis hasn't grown into another Lubbock, it certainly hasn't dried up and blown away in the high plains winds, either!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clovs' most famous residents

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Having a good time BB?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Having a good time BB?
    Don't feel bad son; there's lots of cheating military wives you can score with tbh

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Damn. I had it wrong all along. I thought this was the NCO club at Clovis:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My dad is invested in this South Texas oil years ago and is now making around 150,00 - 200,000 monthy from it. Crazy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Save the oil so we will have something to smolder once the nuclear holocaust starts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I heard the deer dump is a great Clovis tradition

They had a bit too much to drink last night. They will sleep it off. Nothing else to do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chesapeake Energy’s (CHK) Serenity 1-3H well near Oklahoma City came in as a gusher in 2009, pumping more than 1,200 barrels of oil a day and kicking off a rush to drill that extended into Kansas. Now the well produces less than 100 barrels a day, state records show. Serenity’s swift decline sheds light on a dirty secret of the oil boom: It may not last. Shale wells start strong and fade fast, and producers are drilling at a breakneck pace to hold output steady. In the fields, this incessant need to drill is known as the Red Queen, after the character in Through the Looking-Glass who tells Alice, “It takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place.”

The U.S. is producing 7.8 million barrels of oil a day, more than it has in a quarter-century. Crude from shale formations has cut reliance on imports and put the U.S. closer to energy independence than it’s been since 1989. The International Energy Agency predicted last year that the U.S. would overtake Saudi Arabia by 2020 as the world’s largest producer.

Whether current production can hold up is the subject of debate. David Hughes, a geoscientist and president of Global Sustainability Research, has examined the life span of shale wells. “The Red Queen syndrome just gets worse and worse and worse,” he says. “The higher production goes, the more wells you need to offset the decline.”

The U.S. Energy Information Administration estimates that about 29 percent of U.S. oil production today comes from so-called tight oil formations. These dense layers of rock and shale are cracked open by blasting water, sand, and chemicals deep underground, creating fissures that allow the oil to flow into horizontal pipes, some of them thousands of feet long. Production from wells bored into these formations declines by 60 percent to 70 percent in the first year alone, says Allen Gilmer, chairman and chief executive officer of Drillinginfo, which tracks the performance of U.S. wells. Traditional wells take two years to slide 50 percent to 55 percent, and they can keep pumping for 20 years or more.
    http://www.businessweek.com/articles...-staying-power

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So they drill a well, make a lot of money for a little while, then stick the tax payers with "depletion allowance"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depletion_(accounting)

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    So they drill a well and pump millions of dollars into the local tax base and create jobs. Then SOME of the wells are capped when production falls, often reopened later, and the remainder may qualify for a depletion allowance, depending upon how the lease was structured. Yeah, thats a real problem.
    OTOH, My family owns land covered with little stripper wells that have been producing for 40+ years with an expected life of another 30 or 40. No depletion allowances there.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    In Texas, the RRC places fairly strict production limits on leases....primarily to extend the life of the formation. When I was in the oil and gas business, we hit plenty of wells capable of producing 250-300+ bbls/day. We were never allowed to open them up to those levels tho. It'll be interesting to see how the shorter lifespan of some of these tight formations affect RRC allowables in Tx.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This thread was way more fun back when we thought Lngrrr was going to the Land of the Blue Sky tbh

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Troof.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In Texas, the RRC places fairly strict production limits on leases....primarily to extend the life of the formation.
    I always had a problem with this... Shouldn't there be a little bit of communication between wells (as long as they're wells from the same company)? It's basically lowering the EUR and also pushing operators to frac even more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ONLY 100 barrels a day? 3.65 million a year? Pffft that's just beer money.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IIRC, before this fracking boom, the avg for a US oil well was 5 barrels/day.

Thread Information