Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure why fans call him Patty. His nickname started in college when he played for St Mary's, and ever since then, the nickname stuck. Almost everyone nowadays calls him Patty. I think Mills is the only player in the NBA to have his nickname (Patty) as his name on his NBA.com profile, as well as the Spurs NBA TV Companion.
    First of all, my wife calls him Patty Melt. Thought that was what she heard from Bill on TV broadcast.

As for Nando and Cory at the Toros, I watch the game on here and think that this was an attempt to see if De Colo could if called on handle a SF without size. At 6-5, he is a huge PG, tall SG and short SF. The Toros played a lot of 3 guard rotations. Both De Colo and Joseph saw alot of court time with Dentmon and Kelly. I think Pop just wanted game time for both and get a look at whether De Colo could play limited time at SF. This makes me wonder if Green may have more than tightness in his legs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure why fans call him Patty. His nickname started in college when he played for St Mary's, and ever since then, the nickname stuck. Almost everyone nowadays calls him Patty. I think Mills is the only player in the NBA to have his nickname (Patty) as his name on his NBA.com profile, as well as the Spurs NBA TV Companion.
    Emanuel Ginobili and Maurice (Mo) Williams come to mind, and i feel like there are a decent number of others.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Emanuel Ginobili and Maurice (Mo) Williams come to mind, and i feel like there are a decent number of others.
    Completely forgot about Manu! Why do they call him Manu anyway?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Completely forgot about Manu! Why do they call him Manu anyway?
    It's the middle part of his name Emanuel. Not sure who came up with it. He was called that well before he came to the NBA. The Spurs players were calling him Gino when he first came here .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dang...I know he isn't happy about that. I wish I could find the article again, but I remember him stating that he wouldn't want to go to the D-league because he came here only to play in the NBA and not the D-league.

Hopefully he looks at this as a chance to improve and doesn't pull a Steve Blake and start fighting team mates.

Blaaaah
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's the middle part of his name Emanuel. Not sure who came up with it. He was called that well before he came to the NBA. The Spurs players were calling him Gino when he first came here .
    Manu is the standard diminutive for any Em(m)anuel(le) in latin languages (French, Italian, Spanish...).

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dang...I know he isn't happy about that. I wish I could find the article again, but I remember him stating that he wouldn't want to go to the D-league because he came here only to play in the NBA and not the D-league.
    No one forced him to go to Austin for a game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Umm isn't Danny Green originally Daniel? I'm 99% sure he is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one forced him to go to Austin for a game.
    ...............right

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...............right
    Yes, right.

NBA players have to agree to be assigned.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, right.

Not rookies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, rookies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    • Players with three years of service or less can be assigned to the D-League. (It was two years' experience in the previous CBA.)
    • A player can be assigned to the D-League an unlimited number of times after a limit of three in the previous CBA.
    • Players continue to receive their NBA salary while assigned to the D-League. This was also the case under the previous CBA, but ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher reported recently that the league was pushing for players to be paid at D-League salary rates while under assignment.
    • Players with more than three years' experience can be assigned to the D-League -- for example, for injury rehabilitation -- but only when the player and the union request the assignment. Under the previous CBA, players with more than two years' experience could not be assigned to the D-League no matter what.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/73...ning-agreement

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The wording of the actual CBA shows you are correct, though I have read of teams' giving players the choice. That was before the current agreement though.

If Nando is going to be a about it, might as well trade him.
    Last edited by ChumpDumper; 12-03-2012 at 04:14 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, right.

EDIT: Yeah, the other guy(/you) helped me out, so forget it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Slow your roll. You proved nothing with your outdated article. I proved your argument for you by reading the CBA.

Again. If he's a about it, get rid of him. He's not that good.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Umm isn't Danny Green originally Daniel? I'm 99% sure he is.
    Quite true. A lot of the Spurs players are more known by their nicknames than their actual names.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is De Colo still with the Toros? According to Bruno's source, he was only going to be assigned for 1 day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Slow your roll. You proved nothing with your outdated article. I proved your argument for you by reading the CBA.

Again. If he's a about it, get rid of him. He's not that good.
    It doesn't matter if it is outdated....that's just saying that wasn't too pleased with going.

Also yeah, that's why I was saying I hope he wasn't going to about it.

"He's not that good".....meh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesn't matter if it is outdated....that's just saying that wasn't too pleased with going.
    How could an article written before Nando was in the NBA prove that Nando was upset about being assigned?

Also yeah, that's why I was saying I hope he wasn't going to about it.

"He's not that good".....meh
    He's not.

And anyway, I remember his saying he wasn't here to play in the D-League (could be wrong). Not quite the same as saying he was going to be a about being assigned.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How could an article written before Nando was in the NBA prove that Nando was upset about being assigned?
    It would show that ORIGINALLY he wasn't too happy with going(if he was upset about it). I'm NOT talking about how he feels about it now(Because I'm not sure if there is an interview out on that yet), I'm talking about how it seemed like he felt about it back when he was being interviewed about it.

"He's not." When i said "meh" I saying I don't give a .

"
    I remember his saying he wasn't here to play in the D-League (could be wrong). Not quite the same as saying he was going to be a about being assigned."

I didn't say he wasn't going to originally, until you describe it as that, if you look at what I originally said, I was just hoping that he wouldn't be upset and see this as a lane for improvement.

Although I did say "
    I know he isn't happy about that." But that's just how I talk at times, of course it's not a fact. Then I made a joke about him turning into Steve Blake and fighting his own teammates, but again it was a joke.

The 6th is coming... will_spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    btw why do all his fans call him Patty? He said that he prefers the name Patrick, yet all his hardcore fans always call him Patty.
    Where and when did he say that? His Twitter account is Patty_Mills, so if he really dislikes this nickname the first thing to do would be not to use it himself...

Actually most players are called by their nickname:
    Timothy Duncan -> Tim
    William Anthony Parker -> Tony
    Emmanuel Ginobili-> Manu
    Matthew Bonner -> Matt

etc.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apparently De Colo's back in San Antonio. Can anyone confirm this?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where and when did he say that? His Twitter account is Patty_Mills, so if he really dislikes this nickname the first thing to do would be not to use it himself...

He did say it though. It was in an interview, and he also said that at home, he's called "Pat".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Perhaps Pop liked what he saw in Anderson which prompted him to make this move. Makes sense since Anderson is familiar with the system and can fit right in without making too many mistakes.

Thread Information