Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    on instagram, str8 flexin DUNCANownsKOBE's Avatar
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Boutons, Matt Taiibi is one of the most liberal journalists I've ever read and he's not even defending Obama on this (probably because he's what a liberal was pre-Clinton), why do you insist on doing so? The fact Romney would have been just as bad if not worse (and don't kid yourselves Republicans, he would have been) is irrelevant especially since no one said otherwise. It doesn't change the fact Obama is a total corporate shill and this is approaching the territory of how Bush handled Enron. The "He can't do anything radical since it's his first term!" excuse is over, it's his 2nd term, he doesn't have any more elections to worry about, and he's still handing out corporate welfare. There were excuses that could be made for the bailout, there's no possible excuse for this.

Taiibi's main point is dead on too, the war on drugs is a totally racist, corrupt scam. It's sickening how many Americans don't seem to care that their tax dollars go towards prosecuting and incarcerating in marijuana users.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    he said in his campaign that he would kill and re-do all financial regulation that had been set up under Barry.
    Apparently Barry didn't set up any financial regulation regarding the laundering of drug dealer money.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "maybe he wouldn't have been"

he said in his campaign that he would kill and re-do all financial regulation that had been set up under Barry. no "maybe" about it. CFPB, increased capital reserves, poof, all gone. Barry is too close to Wall st but Bishop Gecko __IS__ Wall st. There is a huge difference.
    Mitt said a lot of things. Mitt liked to talk out of his ass. No way to tell what he was actually serious about and what he wasn't. Nor did Mitt bother to share with us what his "re-do" might look like.

" If Obama and this crop of democrats really are fighting for the interests of the 99% against the 1%, they sure do suck at it."

agreed. But the Repugs have been and will be much worse since they don't even try to protect the 99% (eg, see current fiscal proposals from Boner, see Ryan's twice-passed 10-year budgeting)
    The biggest finanical scam in history is staring him right in the face and he can't seem to find one gawd damned banker who's committed a crime worthy of jail time. Bankers look pretty damn protected and it's happening on his watch. Is blue team really fighting for the little guy, or do they just want the little guy to think that they are?

Banned
    My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    bankers ing own this world and HSBC ain't the only bank that operates money laundering business. banks know this better than governments do so the majority of time they can do it fine w/o getting caught, and even if they get busted doing it someday due to some bad luck, they can get away with it. an average bank staff earns about twice the money an average blue collar worker makes and most of them don't have any advanced degrees, you're fooling yourselves if you think their profits are only made from loan interests tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's like Leona Helmsley said: the rules are for little people. that goes double for rule of law.
    Because the MSM barely covers it and pretends its not a big deal. Banks getting let off the hook for illegal activity is basically par the course in this country. The average American is also borderline re ed and would rather watch here comes Honey Boo Boo than read the news.
    Of course you guys are both correct and intellectually I realize these to be facts. But what can somebody do other than rant and rave?

Personally, I just keep my money out of the market as well as anything other than a credit union. Yes, I know I'm hurting my bottom line in so doing, but I'm debt free and have peace of mind.

Furthermore, I no longer vote for R's or D's unless its on a local/state basis where I have no other alternative.

I guess those things, coupled with trying to educate my friends and family without being a , are all I can do

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boutons, Matt Taiibi is one of the most liberal journalists I've ever read and he's not even defending Obama on this (probably because he's what a liberal was pre-Clinton), why do you insist on doing so? The fact Romney would have been just as bad if not worse (and don't kid yourselves Republicans, he would have been) is irrelevant especially since no one said otherwise. It doesn't change the fact Obama is a total corporate shill and this is approaching the territory of how Bush handled Enron. The "He can't do anything radical since it's his first term!" excuse is over, it's his 2nd term, he doesn't have any more elections to worry about, and he's still handing out corporate welfare. There were excuses that could be made for the bailout, there's no possible excuse for this.

Taiibi's main point is dead on too, the war on drugs is a totally racist, corrupt scam. It's sickening how many Americans don't seem to care that their tax dollars go towards prosecuting and incarcerating in marijuana users.
    Goods

But trying to talk sense into BD is like trying to talk sense into a wall

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Of course you guys are both correct and intellectually I realize these to be facts. But what can somebody do other than rant and rave?

Personally, I just keep my money out of the market as well as anything other than a credit union. Yes, I know I'm hurting my bottom line in so doing, but I'm debt free and have peace of mind.

Furthermore, I no longer vote for R's or D's unless its on a local/state basis where I have no other alternative.

I guess those things, coupled with trying to educate my friends and family without being a , are all I can do
    Yup, that's about all you can do. Vote 3rd party and try to inform the people around you who might respect your opinion. Don't expect to make too much of a difference, I have friends who are otherwise as intelligent as it gets but don't recognize how much this country is rotting from the inside.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bank of china right...lol chinese bank...good luck

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Goods

But trying to talk sense into BD is like trying to talk sense into a wall
    symple , I've said many time the PIC's drug war is a business, and at the individual level, it's corrupt, racist enforcment sadists ing blacks and browns.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't believe more people aren't appalled with this. Anyone I mention it too hasn't even heard of it. That's how corrupt and agenda-driven our media is. They wanna have all day specials about the shootings and gun control and act like nothing else is happening in this country.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    I can't believe more people aren't appalled with this. Anyone I mention it too hasn't even heard of it. That's how corrupt and agenda-driven our media is. They wanna have all day specials about the shootings and gun control and act like nothing else is happening in this country.
    Their coverage of the shootings is also meaningless and does absolutely nothing.

This is AllisonShe liked butterflies, flowers, and her favorite color was pinkHer mother's wish is to never forget Allison

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Their coverage of the shootings is also meaningless and does absolutely nothing.

This is AllisonShe liked butterflies, flowers, and her favorite color was pinkHer mother's wish is to never forget Allison
    Yeah that is just weird to me how people can watch that and pretend they really give a about it. And that's what an obsession with dead children is. Weird.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Emails Show How Corrupt Financial Traders Bragged About Rigging Global Markets

The Swiss bank UBS will pay $1.5 billion in fines to international regulators for manipulating the LIBOR interest rate, which helps set rates on financial products across the world. UBS is the second bank, after Barclays, to pay fines for messing with LIBOR.

According to emails released by the British Financial Services Authority, UBS traders bragged over email about their work rigging the interest rate, promising to do “fu*king humongous deal[s]” with each other if the rates were rigged a certain way:
    The trader, described in Financial Services Authority do ents as Trader A, wrote on instant message exchanges: “3m libor is too high cause I have kept it artificially high.” This single employee appears to have made hundreds of requests to brokers to help manipulate the rate, according to the FSA. At least 45 UBS employees in total knew of, or were involved in, the rigging of the rate, the UK regulator said.

The FSA do ents suggest a macho trading culture on the UBS trading floor. Trader A also said: “if you keep 6s [i.e. the six month JPY LIBOR rate] unchanged today … I will ****ing do one humongous deal with you … Like a 50,000 buck deal.”

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/201...-traders-brag/

Anybody going to jail?

Are city/county/state borrowers (aka taxpayers) who are NOW PAYING HIGHER rates for bond sales going to be compensated?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There’s no good way to prepare someone for life outside prison while that person is still in prison. Far better to have an offender “outside,” but under close monitoring and with the promise of swift and sure sanctions for every violation of the rules.

A combination of drug (including alcohol) testing and position monitoring via a G.P.S. anklet – enabling both curfew enforcement and the promise that any new offense will be easily detected – can provide most of the crime-reduction benefits of a prison cell at a small fraction of the costs in money and suffering. Even long-time methamphetamine and alcohol abusers turn out to be able to stop when the consequences of not stopping are certain and immediate. The result – as Angela Hawken of Pepperdine University has found in studies of the Hawaii HOPE program and the Washington State WISP program and as Beau Kilmer at RAND has shown for South Dakota’s 24/7 Sobriety – is less drug abuse, less crime and less incarceration. No program based on treatment alone works nearly as well.
    http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate...-incarceration

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yeah that is just weird to me how people can watch that and pretend they really give a about it. And that's what an obsession with dead children is. Weird.
    Parents see tragedies involving children in a way that non parents are simply incapable of understanding. Not saying it's a good thing/bad thing, right/wrong or anything like that. It's just different. Parents see the world differently than non parents. The thought of losing a child is a parent's worst nightmare and because of that a parent is going to have a completely different level of emotional attachement when a tragedy like this occurs than a non parent will.

The news-entertainment shows recognize the strength of that emotional attachment and know that their audience is dominated by parents and grandparents. So they catering to that audience because they're in the business of getting people to tune in.

All that being said, I agree with you that more people should be appalled by the topic of this thread, but "evil bankers" simply can't come close to stirring an emotional reaction to the the level that kids getting shot will. Human nature.
    Last edited by coyotes_geek; 12-19-2012 at 11:44 AM.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    So we should cater the news to emotional soccer moms who when they're not watching the news like watching shows like Here Comes Honey Boo Boo and Storage Wars. Got it.

I think our whole point is that the average American parent is a in moron and the news caters to in morons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This makes sense, Wino, and I agree that we need less people in prisons as opposed to more, but in this case (and a few others involving appalling white collar crime) the government needs to make an example out of these s and send them to max-sec prisons so they can be molested by other inmates as well as s bags like silverblk mystix

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    I'm a parent and I'm gonna remember what Allison's favorite color was because I think that means something

If we remember these kids and cry about it maybe that'll actually lead to change

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    When poor black people get caught using marijuana, the government uses logic basically opposite to this.

America is the most incarcerated country in the world, and only 7% of the incarcerated population in this country is made up of violent offenders. It's total bull to pretend the government did this because of an effort to reduce people in jail.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    So we should cater the news to emotional soccer moms who when they're not watching the news like watching shows like Here Comes Honey Boo Boo and Storage Wars. Got it.

I think our whole point is that the average American parent is a in moron and the news caters to in morons.
    No, the point is that the two scenarios, dead children, corrupt bankers, elicit completely different responses from completely different emotional centers with completely different triggers. You could say, that the two crimes are completely different.

This would be correct. You can also do this without mocking peeps who do have an emotional reaction to dead children.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    No, the point is that the two scenarios, dead children, corrupt bankers, elicit completely different responses from completely different emotional centers with completely different triggers. You could say, that the two crimes are completely different.

This would be correct. You can also do this without mocking peeps who do have an emotional reaction to dead children.
    I'm mocking people who think regurgitating random facts about the dead kids because we need to remember them actually means anything or has any substance. It's emotional rhetoric to keep people distracted from real news.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I'm mocking people who think regurgitating random facts about the dead kids because we need to remember them actually means anything or has any substance.
    It's entirely possible that it might actually be a legitimate response. Your gotcha posting precludes that possiblity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with DoK

There is zero news value in what the affected parties are feeling as a result of the school shootings. None. We all know that this is a terrible scenario, no need to go on and on and on about it.

Plus, the news channels/organizations only do it because it gets ratings. That's all they care about at the end of the day

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I agree with DoK

There is zero news value in what the affected parties are feeling as a result of the school shootings. None. We all know that this is a terrible scenario, no need to go on and on and on about it.

Plus, the news channels/organizations only do it because it gets ratings. That's all they care about at the end of the day
    No denying the news value. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding DOK's point.

Thread Information