Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, at least we agree that the news industry is a ing disgrace regardless of the reasons

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "news industry"

It's not a news industry, it's an entertainment business.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, at least we agree that the news industry is a ing disgrace regardless of the reasons
    A corporate-owned media accountable to other powerful corporate interests via advertising dollars is an incredible filter on progressive stories that raise the public's class awareness.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McDonalds isn't going to pay a network to scare parents all across the nation into not buying their kids Happy Meals.
    They wouldn't pay a network to air one of their commercials on that specific program. They would gladly pay the network to air their commercials on a different program. 60 minutes doing an in depth special on crappy McDonalds beef isn't going to keep McDonalds from giving CBS a load of money to air commercials during March Madness. 60 minutes doing an in depth special on crappy McDonalds beef probably wouldn't even keep McDonalds from advertising on a different episode of 60 minutes if enough potential McDonalds customers were consistently tuning in to watch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't believe more people aren't appalled with this. Anyone I mention it too hasn't even heard of it. That's how corrupt and agenda-driven our media is. They wanna have all day specials about the shootings and gun control and act like nothing else is happening in this country.
    They had a pretty good story about this about a week ago on NPR. Kept referencing back to it several times throughout the day. Said many of the same things that Matt said (though they did have a guy on there talking about how it isn't fair to the tellers to fine the bank 20 Billion dollars because they will be downsized to pay for it).

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the context of ratings, even if you lose one or two (advertisers) because you did a story that slams their industry, plenty more will step in if you're averaging 10+ million viewers.

I also don't have faith in the American people that they would deliver a comparable amount of viewers to an expose' on the financial system than they do to human interest stories that involve kids. , I bet more people would watch a "cute kitty" story than a hard hitting piece on government corruption

Could be wrong, though
    You're not wrong. You're spot on. The TV industry exists to give us programming that we'll watch and what we want to watch is sports, reality tv and talk shows about people's feelings. The spectrum of people geniunely interested in hard hitting pieces on government corruption is so small, and even that tiny demographic is splintered along political lines where people are just looking for affirmation that the corruption is all the other team's fault.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're not wrong. You're spot on. The TV industry exists to give us programming that we'll watch and what we want to watch is sports, reality tv and talk shows about people's feelings. The spectrum of people geniunely interested in hard hitting pieces on government corruption is so small, and even that tiny demographic is splintered along political lines where people are just looking for affirmation that the corruption is all the other team's fault.
    They could interview the children of drug users/abusers and ask them what they think about the fact that their local bank branch helped mommy and daddy get their special white magic energy powder.

on instagram, str8 flexin DUNCANownsKOBE's Avatar
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Yeah I agree with coyotes_geek here, McDonalds is gonna advertise in whichever way it'll make them money. They wouldn't advertise on CBS unless it helped them to do so, so a 1 hour special about their grade D meat wouldn't stop them from advertising on another time slot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The TV industry exists to sell advertising. Reality TV exists because people will watch whatever is on and because it doesn't cost anything to produce.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They wouldn't pay a network to air one of their commercials on that specific program. They would gladly pay the network to air their commercials on a different program. 60 minutes doing an in depth special on crappy McDonalds beef isn't going to keep McDonalds from giving CBS a load of money to air commercials during March Madness. 60 minutes doing an in depth special on crappy McDonalds beef probably wouldn't even keep McDonalds from advertising on a different episode of 60 minutes if enough potential McDonalds customers were consistently tuning in to watch.
    If it's a one-time thing maybe, but if 60 Minutes keeps following up on things they're going to lose that advertiser.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    If it's a one-time thing maybe, but if 60 Minutes keeps following up on things they're going to lose that advertiser.
    Disagree. Corporations have more greed than they have pride. If there's a time slot on CBS where they think it would be profitable to advertise, they'll do it, even if they're also helping a TV station that's attempting to hurt their brand.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disagree. Corporations have more greed than they have pride. If there's a time slot on CBS where they think it would be profitable to advertise, they'll do it, even if they're also helping a TV station that's attempting to hurt their brand.
    I don't think it's pride at all. You threaten to pull advertising and those shows that hurt your brand are going to cease to exist. Seems like every time I see something about the quality of our food it's done in a nameless and blameless "everyone does it" sort of fashion.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    I don't think they'd take the risk of messing with a huge media outlet. If CBS decided to call their bluff and got pissed off that McDonalds was trying to influence what CBS puts on air, CBS would go after them 100x as hard as a 60 minutes special does.

We basically agree on the general idea just for different reasons. I think they'd stop getting advertisers in that scenario because informative TV specials about crappy food or banking corruption wouldn't get the ratings from Americans that, "People camped outside for 6 hours in order to get the best Black Friday specials!" or "The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade had huge crowds this year!" headlines get. Americans want to live in ignorance. Heck, even for all the ing I do, I'm no exception. Whenever a climate change expert is on TV, I immediately change the channel because I'd rather ignore how ed this planet is since most people in this country don't wanna take it serious anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Heck, even for all the ing I do, I'm no exception. Whenever a climate change expert is on TV, I immediately change the channel because I'd rather ignore how ed this planet is since most people in this country don't wanna take it serious anyway.
    I turn it off because the guy only gets two minutes before the commercial break and then it's next topic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Argentina's tax agency said on Monday it has uncovered 392 million pesos ($77 million) in fraudulent transactions by HSBC Holdings Plc and said it has asked the judicial system to probe the European bank for alleged tax evasion and money laundering.
    HSBC, Europe's largest bank, was fined $1.9 billion last year for similar irregularities in Mexico and the United States.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...pe=companyNews

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We heard Holder say Fed/SEC/DoJ refuse to bring down a blatant $100Bs criminal like HSBC because it would be another Lehman-like systemic trigger. But, pass a bad check or two, you're really ed.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Amazing. HSBC was also at the front of the fixing LIBOR scandal iirc.

people getting angry at Obama for allegebly considering the possibility of taking away guns while his attorney general doesn't wanna prosecute multi-billion dollar corporate crimes

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Amazing. HSBC was also at the front of the fixing LIBOR scandal iirc.

people getting angry at Obama for allegebly considering the possibility of taking away guns while his attorney general doesn't wanna prosecute multi-billion dollar corporate crimes
    The big finance outfits can reliably be assumed to be serial felonious criminals, because they make $100Bs with their crimes, and they know "their boys" in govt, now admitted publicly by Holder et al, won't touch them with more than a handslap (eg $600M fine for SAC was a handslap compared to insider traber SAC's $10B+ value, AND no person to jail or pays a penny).
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 03-19-2013 at 10:36 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wounded Iraq vets sue HSBC under 1992 anti-terrorism law:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0IU1Q120141110

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Republican Senate Will Love Loretta Lynch

Right after graduating from law school, Lynch went to work as a litigation assistant for the prestigious New York-based law firm Cahill Gordon & Reindel between 1984 and 1990. CG&R attorneys represented some of the more notorious figures behind the Savings and Loan Scandal of the 1980s and 1990s, including a man who had personal dealings with Charles Keating. In its profile of Lynch, the DOJ’s own website describes her as someone with extensive experience in “white collar criminal defense.” It’s very likely that Lynch went from Harvard straight to defending some of the worst financial criminals the country had ever seen at the time. On CG&R’s website, the “securities litigation and white collar defense”section describes the kind of crooks the firm defends:

Recent matters include the alleged manipulation of the US Dollar London Inter-Bank Offered Rate (“LIBOR”) and multi-billion dollar federal and state court class and individual actions involving subprime and structured finance products.… We have handled some of the most significant investigations arising from existing and emerging regulation in the white collar arena, including for some of the largest transnational companies and banks as well as the largest securities rating agency.… Our securities litigation and white collar defense practice is top-ranked by Chambers USA, The Legal 500 and Benchmark Litigation.

Lynch basically got her first six years of white collar criminal defense experience working at the firm that is currently responsible for keeping the bankers behind the great subprime mortgage grift out of jail. CG&R is also defending the financial ins utions that jacked up interest rates on everything from student loans to home loans out of greedy self-interest. They even defended the agencies that knowingly rated worthless mortgage-backed securities as AAA, setting up millions to lose their retirement savings in a snap.

After six years of exemplary work at this soulless law firm, Lynch walked through the revolving door to the U.S. Attorney’s office in the Eastern district of New York, which plays a major part in investigating financial crimes. She gradually worked her way up the ladder, going from an assistant U.S. attorney in 1990 to becoming the unit’s Deputy Chief of General Crimes in 1993. She was chief of the office’s Long Island division by 1998, and was tapped as U.S. Attorney by June of 1999, where she remained until 2001. Then, Lynch walked back through the revolving door to return to defending the worst of America’s worst corporate criminals.

Lynch couldn’t wait to get started at the Hogan & Hartson law firm (now known as Hogan Lovells). Interestingly enough, Lynch was a partner at Hogan, working alongside John Roberts, the current chief justice of what is the most corporate-friendly Supreme Court in decades. Hogan’s website doesn’t list its past clients, but you can get a pretty good idea by visiting the site’s “financial ins utions” section:

We represent banks, brokers, insurers, asset managers, investment funds, regulators, and other market participants, large and small, on the full range of legal services. This includes corporate, compe ion, employment, finance, IT, intellectual property, litigation, pensions, real estate and tax.

As soon as Lynch joined Hogan in 2002, she interrupted her own vacation, came to the office without pay and immediately got to work defending an Arthur Andersen partner who had helped cook the books for Enron. From 2003 to 2005, Lynch sat on the board of the New York Federal Reserve, working directly under future U.S. Treasury secretary Tim Geithner. The New York Fed has been widely do ented for its incestuous relationships with the big Wall Street banks it’s supposed to regulate. The revolving door spun once again in 2010, when President Obama appointed Lynch to her old job as U.S. Attorney of New York’s Eastern District.

Drawing on her past experience of standing up for white collar crooks,

Lynch has spent the last four years treating big banks with kid gloves.
    Under Lynch’s oversight, the U.S. government allowed HSBC to pay a fine that amounted to five weeks of profit for the bank after they admitted to laundering $800 million for Mexican drug cartels.

Lynch was also responsible for Citibank paying a $7 billion settlement--
    $3.8 billion of which was later billed to U.S. taxpayers – rather than going to jail over misleading millions of investors about mortgage-backed securities that were doomed to fail.

There’s really no question about whether or not Lynch will survive her senate confirmation hearing. Senator Durbin once referred to his chamber as overly subservient to the big banks, saying, “They own the place.”

Bankers everywhere can breathe a sigh of relief knowing that the president’s pick for the nation’s top lawyer won’t try to put any of them in jail. The senators they sponsored in the last election cycle will likely confirm her with haste.

http://readersupportednews.org/opini...-loretta-lynch

Last edited by boutons_deux; 11-11-2014 at 03:53 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HSBC bank 'helped clients dodge millions in tax'

Britain's biggest bank helped wealthy clients cheat the UK out of millions of pounds in tax, the BBC has learned.

Panorama has seen thousands of accounts from HSBC's private bank in Switzerland leaked by a whistleblower in 2007.

They show bankers helped clients evade tax and offered deals to help tax dodgers stay ahead of the law.

HSBC admitted that some individuals took advantage of bank secrecy to hold undeclared accounts. But it said it has now "fundamentally changed".

The do ents, stolen in 2007 by a computer expert working for HSBC in Geneva, contain details of more than 100,000 clients from around the world.

Offshore accounts are not illegal, but many people use them to hide cash from the tax authorities. And while tax avoidance is perfectly legal, deliberately hiding money to evade tax is not.

The French authorities assessed the stolen data and concluded in 2013 that 99.8% of their citizens on the list were probably evading tax.

HSBC did not just turn a blind eye to tax evaders - in some cases it broke the law by actively helping its clients.

The bank gave one wealthy family a foreign credit card so they could withdraw their undeclared cash at cashpoints overseas.

HSBC also helped its tax-dodging clients stay ahead of the law.

a former tax inspector and author of The Great Tax Robbery, said: "I think they were a tax avoidance and tax evasion service. I think that's what they were offering. They knew full well that people come to them to dodge their tax liabilities."

The bank now faces criminal investigations in the US, France, Belgium and Argentina. HSBC said it is "co-operating with relevant authorities".

But in the UK, where the bank is based, no such action has been taken. (the UK finance sector own UK govt exactly like US financial sector owns US govt)

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-31248913

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HSBC bank 'helped clients dodge millions in tax'

Britain's biggest bank helped wealthy clients cheat the UK out of millions of pounds in tax, the BBC has learned.

Panorama has seen thousands of accounts from HSBC's private bank in Switzerland leaked by a whistleblower in 2007.

They show bankers helped clients evade tax and offered deals to help tax dodgers stay ahead of the law.

HSBC admitted that some individuals took advantage of bank secrecy to hold undeclared accounts. But it said it has now "fundamentally changed".

The do ents, stolen in 2007 by a computer expert working for HSBC in Geneva, contain details of more than 100,000 clients from around the world.

Offshore accounts are not illegal, but many people use them to hide cash from the tax authorities. And while tax avoidance is perfectly legal, deliberately hiding money to evade tax is not.

The French authorities assessed the stolen data and concluded in 2013 that 99.8% of their citizens on the list were probably evading tax.

HSBC did not just turn a blind eye to tax evaders - in some cases it broke the law by actively helping its clients.

The bank gave one wealthy family a foreign credit card so they could withdraw their undeclared cash at cashpoints overseas.

HSBC also helped its tax-dodging clients stay ahead of the law.

a former tax inspector and author of The Great Tax Robbery, said: "I think they were a tax avoidance and tax evasion service. I think that's what they were offering. They knew full well that people come to them to dodge their tax liabilities."

The bank now faces criminal investigations in the US, France, Belgium and Argentina. HSBC said it is "co-operating with relevant authorities".

But in the UK, where the bank is based, no such action has been taken.
    (the UK finance sector own UK govt exactly like US financial sector owns US govt)

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-31248913

Of course not, why would a conservative government ever attempt to bust wealthy corporate tax-evaders? They're their greatest assets.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HSBC publishes apology in Sunday newspapers

HSBC has published a full-page advert containing an apology in several newspapers, over claims that its Swiss private bank helped clients evade tax.
    The advert reproduces an open letter signed by chief executive Stuart Gulliver, which says recent coverage had been "a painful experience".
    Whistleblower Herve Falciani has said the UK government should have known about the scandal in 2010.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-31476552

"We're "sorry", not one of us wealthy-from-corruption mofos is going to jail, so GFY"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As readers may have already guessed or checked, the “senior DOJ official” that refuted Breuer’s claim that there was no basis for prosecuting any HSBC officer or employee was Lanny Breuer, in his prepared written statement for the December 11, 2012 press conference he staged to celebrate the sweetheart deal with HSBC.
    http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2015/...-officers.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    settlement for liar loans and foreclosure fraud:

Last week, the Justice Department announced that it had reached a $470 million settlement with mega-bank HSBC related to mortgage lending and foreclosure fraud that led to the economic collapse of 2008.

“This settlement illustrates the department’s continuing commitment to ensure responsible mortgage servicing,” Benjamin Mizer, head of the Justice Department’s Civil Division, said in a statement. “The agreement is part of our ongoing effort to address root causes of the financial crisis.”

This isn’t the bank’s first run-in with the Feds. In 2013, HSBC reached a $250 million deal with the Federal Reserve to settle complaints of wrongful foreclosures. That year, it also paid out $550 million to the Federal Housing Finance Agency over the bank’s sale of toxic mortgage-backed securities. It also agreed to pay the U.S. government $1.9 billion related to charges that the bank laundered money for Latin American drug cartels. The list goes on.
    http://prospect.org/blog/tapped/just...big-bank-again

Thread Information