San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Air Force Falcons
    Shetland Sheepdog, Doberman Pincher, German Shepherd

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    According to AVMA (veterinarians) as well as most canine trainers the 10 smartest dogs are:
    10. Australian Cattle Dog
    9. Rottweiler
    8. The Papillon
    7. Labrador Retriever
    6. Shetland Sheepdog
    5. Doberman Pinscher
    4. Golden Retriever
    3. German Shepherd
    2. Poodle
    1. Border Collie

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    According to AVMA (veterinarians) as well as most canine trainers the 10 smartest dogs are:
    10. Australian Cattle Dog
    9. Rottweiler
    8. The Papillon
    7. Labrador Retriever
    6. Shetland Sheepdog
    5. Doberman Pinscher
    4. Golden Retriever
    3. German Shepherd
    2. Poodle
    1. Border Collie
    Funny they decided to split the Labrador Retriever into 2 groups. The Black coming in lower than the Golden.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Funny they decided to split the Labrador Retriever into 2 groups. The Black coming in lower than the Golden.
    Those are two separate breeds. The Lab has short hair and comes in the usual colors of black, yellow, and chocolate as well as the colors unrecognized by the AKC of white, sandy, red, silver, and bi-point.
    The Golden has long hair and comes in it various shades of gold.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Those are two separate breeds. The Lab has short hair and comes in the usual colors of black, yellow, and chocolate as well as the colors unrecognized by the AKC of white, sandy, red, silver, and bi-point.
    ah...thanks for the explanation.

That makes sense now. So I'm assuming when they put the Labrador Retriever in the top 10, they mean the Yellow version.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Yall s should post pics of your dogs tbh.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    ah...thanks for the explanation.

That makes sense now. So I'm assuming when they put the Labrador Retriever in the top 10, they mean the Yellow version.
    No, any color can represent the breed, color does not determine intelligence, nor does sex. The black Lab is just the most common with yellow being almost as common, and the chocolate being the rarer color followed by the other colors I already mentioned.
    You have black, then yellow, then chocolate, then sandy, white, red, silver, and bi-point.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    No, any color can represent the breed, color does not determine intelligence, nor does sex. The black Lab is just the most common with yellow being almost as common, and the chocolate being the rarer color followed by the other colors I already mentioned.
    You have black, then yellow, then chocolate, then sandy, white, red, silver, and bi-point.
    hmmm...this contradicts logic...I'll think on it some more

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    hmmm...this contradicts logic...I'll think on it some more
    How so?
    Why should the color of a dogs hair determine the dogs intelligence as a breed as a whole?
    Color does not determine intelligence in any breed of canine.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    They say labradoodles are quickly becoming the best and most popular breed.
    However, Labrador retrievers are presently the most popular.
    I've actually been seeing more and more standard poodles around Austin recently, they are good dogs in my experience. Probably a bit much on the grooming side for my tastes, tho.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    How so?
    Why should the color of a dogs hair determine the dogs intelligence as a breed as a whole?
    Color does not determine intelligence in any breed of canine.
    no...color does not determine intelligence but...certain physical characteristics could be more prevalent in a breed that was less intelligent

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

he's the worst troll on the site. really, he ing sucks at what he does. ignore him and he might go away and do something worthwhile with his life like take out my trash.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Minnesota Timberwolves
    Well, to be fair the whole premise is also quite outrageos.
    Can't imagine ever objectively deciding what the best dog breed is.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    beagle, chihuahua, mini dachshund

ie the ones who look crazy cute as puppies and don't get overwhelmingly big and won't muck up your house... most of the time

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Mutts for the win.

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    I'm considering another dog. Our corgi lived to be 16 and we had to put him down in the beginning of 2021 due to cancer. Not sure what breed yet, but Border Collie is on the list for sure.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    I don't like big dogs... At all

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    that's an abstract answer

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Xolo's are great dogs but very territorial and protective of the small circle they love. Hairless too so if you have allergies they're pretty good for that.

Another loving breed are those small Italian Greyhounds.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Australian Shepard

The only one I have ever had that so badly wants to do the right thing and s his head while trying to learn my language, symbols and habits.
    I have never had any dog so wanting to please the owner. And if smart is listening to commands and learning them quickly, these guys are amazing.
    We have like 15 stuffed animals for him to beat up he knows the names of all of them. We have to spell words out so he wont get to excited like D-O-G P-A-R-K.

But... a lot of fur.
    A lot of energy. suggested for young families. Also suggested you have access to a ranch or field.
    A tremendous amount of fun. And unlike this dog's predecessors, the border collie, lower energy and they dont want to be given only one task and repeat the same thing over and over.
    These guys love Obstacle or agility courses and they want them changed. They like new things to do. They thrive on new experiences and puzzles. This one also loves swimming (is not so good at swimming, their hair is not oily and acts like a mop.)

If you like energy and a dog who wants to explore and is highly intelligent to human language and signals, this is the dog.

By far the most interactive dog I have ever been around (my family as a child went through a number of dogs.)
    This guy replaced our mut that died and was also a great dog, but not near as human like.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Australian Shepard

The only one I have ever had that so badly wants to do the right thing and s his head while trying to learn my language, symbols and habits.
    I have never had any dog so wanting to please the owner. And if smart is listening to commands and learning them quickly, these guys are amazing.
    We have like 15 stuffed animals for him to beat up he knows the names of all of them. We have to spell words out so he wont get to excited like D-O-G P-A-R-K.

But... a lot of fur.
    A lot of energy. suggested for young families. Also suggested you have access to a ranch or field.
    A tremendous amount of fun. And unlike this dog's predecessors, the border collie, lower energy and they dont want to be given only one task and repeat the same thing over and over.
    These guys love Obstacle or agility courses and they want them changed. They like new things to do. They thrive on new experiences and puzzles. This one also loves swimming (is not so good at swimming, their hair is not oily and acts like a mop.)

If you like energy and a dog who wants to explore and is highly intelligent to human language and signals, this is the dog.

By far the most interactive dog I have ever been around (my family as a child went through a number of dogs.)
    This guy replaced our mut that died and was also a great dog, but not near as human like.
    I had a roommate who had one, he would just shave her down a few times in the summer. I prefer lab mixes myself, throwing the ball for the dog is fun, and they can swim very well (usually)

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    beagle, chihuahua, mini dachshund

ie the ones who look crazy cute as puppies and don't get overwhelmingly big and won't muck up your house... most of the time
    I have a Chihuahua/dachshund/rat terrier mix and I can tell you from him and other smaller dogs I've known over the years that smaller breeds are generally more anxiety-ridden, aggressive (to strangers), harder to house break, and noisy than larger breeds.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    I have a Chihuahua/dachshund/rat terrier mix and I can tell you from him and other smaller dogs I've known over the years that smaller breeds are generally more anxiety-ridden, aggressive (to strangers), harder to house break, and noisy than larger breeds.
    not untrue, but big dogs in the house just annoy the outta me. They stink, they shed, they chew up things. A black great dane literally knocked me backward into the floor one time at a friend's house a few months before covid. Don't think Bruce was trying to be aggressive, just friendly, but the force just pushed my 135 pound body ass-backward. Big dogs have a purpose though, get 2-3 of them to guard your mansion/ mini mansion, they make an excellent first line of defense.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    We bought Samson last January. He's a mastidoodle- mastiff/poodle mix. They have less energy than golden doodles, easier to manager brushing, super loving and protective of their people so they're great guard dogs. Not gonna say they're the "best breed" but very fun, loving and a little easier to maintain than some of the more energetic doodle breeds (not saying they're lazy do-nothings, he LOVES running and being outdoors, just more mellow and easier to maintain). Much better than our senior mini pinscher and our middle age shih tzu.

Samson is silver with shades of black on his paws and tail, so he's a real head turner at the dog park. Only drawback is they can totally take over your bed and it's a struggle sometimes because they just really, really love their people. They call the mastidoodle the "teddy bear of doodles" due to their affinity to always wanna cuddle. But, they forget very easily how big they are.

Overall, awesome dogs.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Another good one is a Heeler of any color but the red heeler is the one I was around the most. Great dog for families and guarding the house. They shed like though and are super hyper.

Thread Information