Birthday: 07/01/1991
    College: Bucknell

DraftExpress
    NBADraft

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At the moment Draft Express has the Spurs picking Muscala with #30.

Der Willis der Spurs wird siegen! FlAVaK's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Team needs have NOT yet been taken into account in this mock draft."

They just see him as #30, not as the Spurs choice...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want him, but not in the 1st. I believe he will be there in the early 2nd round. If we can accrue a pick between 31 and 40, he is my choice. He isn't the best athlete by any stretch.....but he can score inside and out, and has a some decent low post moves. He is a quality FT shooter, though this year his % has gone down. He is a very good rebounder and shot blocker. He also leads his team in assists.

If I have my way, he is our 2nd pick in the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want him, but not in the 1st. I believe he will be there in the early 2nd round. If we can accrue a pick between 31 and 40, he is my choice. He isn't the best athlete by any stretch.....but he can score inside and out, and has a some decent low post moves. He is a quality FT shooter, though this year his % has gone down. He is a very good rebounder and shot blocker. He also leads his team in assists.

If I have my way, he is our 2nd pick in the draft.
    The early second can be hard to trade into sometimes. A lot of teams prefer a 31st or 32nd pick to a 28th or 29th. You get basically the same quality of player, but without the guaranteed money.

BLUF, you'll need to give up something decent to trade into a pick like that. And I'm not sure we really have the assets (at least ones we'd be willing to part with).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The early second can be hard to trade into sometimes. A lot of teams prefer a 31st or 32nd pick to a 28th or 29th. You get basically the same quality of player, but without the guaranteed money.

BLUF, you'll need to give up something decent to trade into a pick like that. And I'm not sure we really have the assets (at least ones we'd be willing to part with).
    You're right for the most part about the value of second-rounders, but they are usually still worth less than low firsts on the trade market (during draft night). The Heat gave up their first second (31st overall), a 2014 second and cash for the rights to Norris Cole (28th over all). Last draft, the Cavs gave up the 33rd and 34th picks to move up seven spots to grab Zeller. It's possible the Spurs could trade down into the top of the second and even get more assets if there is a team in that range that wants to move up. Guaranteed contracts tend to be less of a big deal to non-compe ive teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're right for the most part about the value of second-rounders, but they are usually still worth less than low firsts on the trade market (during draft night). The Heat gave up their first second (31st overall), a 2014 second and cash for the rights to Norris Cole (28th over all). Last draft, the Cavs gave up the 33rd and 34th picks to move up seven spots to grab Zeller. It's possible the Spurs could trade down into the top of the second and even get more assets if there is a team in that range that wants to move up. Guaranteed contracts tend to be less of a big deal to non-compe ive teams.
    Of course thats always an option. I was really talking about trading into a draft slot without sacrificing any existing picks. But we could easily end up with three 2nd rounders instead of a 1st and 2nd. But the only way the Spurs actually draft that many players this year is if at least one (probably two) are draft n' stash.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course thats always an option. I was really talking about trading into a draft slot without sacrificing any existing picks. But we could easily end up with three 2nd rounders instead of a 1st and 2nd. But the only way the Spurs actually draft that many players this year is if at least one (probably two) are draft n' stash.
    Indeed. One of the biggest benefits of having an early second is the lack of a wage scale, which allows teams to offer elite international players deals that are compe ive with those offered by top European organizations. The Spurs had to wait three years for Splitter's wage restrictions to expire. In contrast, the Wolves signed Pekovic after only two years, and it only took that long because Pekovic was under contract.

Until recently, another benefit of having an early second over a late first was the effect the picks had on the cap. The cap hold from the first-rounder's contract used to stay on the books even if that player stayed overseas. For the Spurs with Splitter, it didn't matter, because they were never close the being under the tax during those three seasons. Other teams did shy away from drafting prospects that couldn't play right away for that reason, though. It's a good thing that's not the case under the new CBA, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why draft and stash? we will be losing Blair and most likely Bonner this year. That leaves 2 holes on our frontline. If we do indeed get Dieng in the 1st round, Muscala would be a great compliment in the early 2nd. He would be a poor man's Kevin Love....Then, in the late 2nd, go after James Ennis, a versatile wing who would compliment Leonard and Green.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And there goes 1st round for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like the sound of the guy. Well rounded offensive game, can hit the mid range and his free throws, good shot blocker and strong rebounder.

Would take a lot of scouting to ensure he isn't a dud who is just dominating weaker opposition. If he put up these stats against better compe ion he would likely be a lottery pick. If he has a good showing against other prospects in scrimmages he could well move up out of our reach.

The kind of player who a lot of teams might pass on but might be a late first round steal.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think a lot of bigs that go are being drafted on "Potential" and I don't think a lot of them will stay in the NBA very long. I like the kid just don't know what are needs will be going into the summer is it SG/SF/PF or we let Splitter walk C?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A scout was on the Hang Time podcast yesterday saying Muscala looks like one of the best bigs in the draft but is being overlooked.

Could be a steal at #28 if he's NBA ready.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a ibaka not a muscala

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Measurement similarity scores: Mike Muscala is most similar to Jared Jeffries and Tiago Splitter. Daniel M (@DSMok1)
    Last edited by jesterbobman; 05-23-2013 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Attempt to embed tweet failed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like muscala but just feel the spurs could get more bang for there buck at #28 by drafting an athletic g/f type player which can shoot 3 and play D. After getting Baynes for next to nothing from europe and I am pretty sure we can expect a similar move in the future by the spurs front office at the 4 or 5 position. In todays NBA I think you build from outside in and depth is key to the spurs with aging players.

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree. I think he's a good prospect, but assuming Splitter is resigned and Diaw stays, we don't have any minutes for a Centre, and there'll be no big man minutes if the Spurs opt to go big in free agency.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree. I think he's a good prospect, but assuming Splitter is resigned and Diaw stays, we don't have any minutes for a Centre, and there'll be no big man minutes if the Spurs opt to go big in free agency.
    If we take a big in free agency (which I hope we do) then I'd have to agree there would be no minutes for him. However I am slightly worried we'll strike out in free agency and I think a big man is our #1 priority this summer to give Duncan some more rest through the year.

Assuming Blair and Bonner are gone, we have a spot open for a big man and in particular a big man with a jump shot.

If a long 2 guard like Jamaal Franklin falls to us I'd take him over Muscala and hope we get a decent big in free agency, but I think he's a nice prospect.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Going back on what I said: There may not be many minutes for him if he was drafted in the first year with Duncan/Tiago/Boris/Baynes/FA, but in his second year there may be more minutes and big shooters are pretty highly valued by the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With that kind of praise, gotta expect he will shoot up draft boards.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As 58 sure, it's worth a shot. As 28, I have big reservations about his style. He's a dedicated mid-range guy; he doesn't shoot the 3 well (0.5 attempts/game at 25% 3FG%) and he doesn't have the size/power/athleticism to get it done in the post at NBA level.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As 58 sure, it's worth a shot. As 28, I have big reservations about his style. He's a dedicated mid-range guy; he doesn't shoot the 3 well (0.5 attempts/game at 25% 3FG%) and he doesn't have the size/power/athleticism to get it done in the post at NBA level.
    Dude has great size for an NBA center. Same height as Splitter with a better vertical (both no step and max) and only an inch shorter wingspan. Strength may be an issue, but you aren't going to get a perfect player at 28.

He's had a down year with his free throws at only 79% (which is still excellent for a big man) but his first 3 years he shot over 80% from the line and last year hit 85% on nearly 7 free throws a game. He also hit 35% on his 3s in his 2nd and 3rd years, although it was on limited attempts.

The fact that he is an excellent free throw shooter and very good midrange shooter suggests there is every possibility he could develop an NBA 3 point shot. Even if he just has a mid range, that's very valuable in the NBA.

This is all going off what's written on DX as I've never seen him play, but he's said to have great post moves/footwork, although that part of his game may not translate well to tougher compe ion in the NBA. Even if you discount that, his size/jumpshot/defence makes him a great candidate for #28.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His only weaknesses they list are compe ion and strength. I'm starting to like the sound of this guy.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count

Thread Information