Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Bexar County has designated two "safe" areas for fireworks: Interstate 10 West two miles west of Ralph Fair Road and the 7640 block of U.S. 87 East.
    Ok, being a good citizen () I didn't want to break the law while setting off some fireworks, so we headed out to the Safe Zone off of I10.

I have never seen a more chaotic scene in a place that was supposed to be a "safe" zone. When we walked up to the site, you enter through a walkway where 2 county officials - with the fire department in some capacity I presume - have you sign a waiver. There's no way for them to know if you actualy sign your name to it because they dont' check ID nor do they actually make sure everyone going in signs it.

About 10 yards into the area, it became brutally clear why they had you sign the waiver. The people walking in front of us had to dodge a package of lit fireworks that were tossed into their pathway. The guy who threw them could barely muster a sheepish "I'm sorry" and went back to his idiotic ways.

50 yards of fearfull walking later, we witnessed a group of people sitting in lawn chairs have several fireworks bounce off of them and onto another set of people. As far as we could tell, no one got hurt but there were definetly some pissed off individuals.

All in all, there was no form of supervision from the Fire dept and there was an incredible lack of attention of almost everyone in that area. The enclosure was much too small for the large amount of people in there. Quite frankly, I could not believe that parents had so many children in what was obviously a very unsafe environment. We left because there was no place to safely set any fireworks off. It really felt like the opening scene from Saving Private Ryan.

The county did something really ing stupid. With total disregard, a total lack of preperation, and general negligence, they turned an effort to provie a safe haven for people to set off fireworks into by far the most dangerous situation around fireworks that I have ever seen.

You can't handle The Truth TheTruth's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    At least my house didn't burn down.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Air Force Falcons
    The county did something really ing stupid. With total disregard, a total lack of preperation, and general negligence, they turned an effort to provie a safe haven for people to set off fireworks into by far the most dangerous situation around fireworks that I have ever seen.
    Dude, that's because they didn't expect anyone to actually show up at the "safe zones"

You're supposed to shoot off fireworks in your backyard like everyone else in town.

Once Around the Block BadlyDrawnBoy's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Goddamn, I still can't believe they banned fireworks in the city because one person died.

Jesus, lets play it even safer and ban cars. , lets ban scissors because running with them is dangerous.

Toot My Van Horn
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I know I might regret this till the day they bury me but.......

I agree with Buddy

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Manny should send that story to the paper.

you want to talk ed up? I was at woodlawn lake and there was over 10,000 people trying to use only 10 porta potties , people in this city have there heads so far up there ass's

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Seriously, that was some scary stuff. I'm not usually one to be scared of fireworks or whatever, but in this case I doubt anyone wouldn't be scared of the idiots setting them off in that "Safe" zone. We were more safe at a park area without having to sign a waiver.

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    For the past two years, someone in the development behind mine has been shooting off professional type fireworks. They must've spent a fortune on them, but it was sure pretty. My dog, however, would disagree. Poor baby.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    when i heard about the "safe zones" i pictured something exactly like manny described... too funny! a bunch of crazy mexicans blowing each other up! hahaha!

and popping fireworks in a city is not safe... just bc your favority boy band has pyro on stage at all their concerts doesn't mean it is safe..

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I am tired of the Commies at city hall telling us what to do on the 4th and new years. There should be no law against the fireworks BECAUSE A MAJORITY OF THE CITIZENS want to buy and pop them at home so it should be NO ING BUSINESS of the city to force people not to fire them off. It was a LOOOOOOONG standing tradition in this city to pop fireworks. There should be a law requiring adult supervision but THATS IT.. this commie law of no fireworks in city.

SW: Hot As Hell
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So Manny, what your saying is, that Safezones are a lot of fun?

SW, some family, and I went to Canyon Lake to shoot ours off. Lots of fun and perfectly safe. I've been to the safe zones and they can be "entertaining" Kids and the sheepish should probably stay inside their cars or to the pro shows around town.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    For the past two years, someone in the development behind mine has been shooting off professional type fireworks. They must've spent a fortune on them, but it was sure pretty. My dog, however, would disagree. Poor baby.
    You mean Fiesta Texas?

Seek True Love, within. bigzak25's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    when i heard about the "safe zones" i pictured something exactly like manny described... too funny! a bunch of crazy mexicans blowing each other up! hahaha!

and popping fireworks in a city is not safe... just bc your favority boy band has pyro on stage at all their concerts doesn't mean it is safe..

a buncha crazy mexicans blowing each other up, ha ha???

wtf man? us 'crazy' mexicans are shooting off the fireworks in the street in front of our houses and running inside when a car comes, in case of the po po...

i imagined a buncha white people trying to obey the law and one mexican named manny thinking of how outraged he was...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    i pictured a bunch of crazy orientals.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Ok, being a good citizen () I didn't want to break the law while setting off some fireworks
    Oh sure... but that didn't stop you and Mandy going pyro at her house the other night.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    i pictured a bunch of crazy orientals.
    They're too tired from making them to be shooting them off the next day.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

wtf man? us 'crazy' mexicans are shooting off the fireworks in the street in front of our houses and running inside when a car comes, in case of the po po...

i imagined a buncha white people trying to obey the law and one mexican named manny thinking of how outraged he was...

true

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Oh sure... but that didn't stop you and Mandy going pyro at her house the other night.
    Don't hate, you know you wanted to blow stuff up too, you were just too busy nursing that rum & coke...that's still in my fridge btw...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

i can see manny walking around with a fire extinguisher spraying all the little white kids on fire wearing a smokey the bear hat...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies

i can see manny walking around with a fire extinguisher spraying all the little white kids on fire wearing a smokey the bear hat...

nah man, I'd wear a beanie.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Dude, I grew up blowing up everything in the world from antpiles to fungus, to toys with blackcats. I must have poped 10 in my hand through out the years as well. We did some stupid with fireworks as kids.

But that zone? that man, that.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Dude, I grew up blowing up everything in the world from antpiles to fungus, to toys with blackcats. I must have poped 10 in my hand through out the years as well. We did some stupid with fireworks as kids.

But that zone? that man, that.
    i hated those quick fuse ers that either:
    a) blew up in your hand and it throbbed
    or
    b) blew up right as you were throwing it and it left your ear ringing and ringing!

Spurs are Lottery Bound. SequSpur's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Safe zones are for s.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    If I'm going to have fireworks thrown at me, I prefer that it be someone in my family doing the throwin.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Dude, go to Canyon Lake. You can even hit the fireworks stands on the way up 281.

Don't have friends with waterfront property? Go find a park or boat ramp.

Thread Information