Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Joseph was good .
    But ,
    start lineup lack TP is no offence option .
    TP drive , Green & Kawhi 3P .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CoJo, Green, Kawhi, Splitter, Baynes... there is some hope after all

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    playblair: "Blair......Blair...............................Bl air............................................... .......Blair...................................... ...................Blair"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    R.C. Buford has never won an Executive of the Year award despite getting Pop guys who fit the system excellently.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The ? I've been on the CJ bandwagon since summer league. In the "Electing the Backup Point Guard" thread, I said this:

If anything, I'm biased in CJ's favor because I've thought the whole season that he's the best man for the job. He convinced me in summer league that he's an NBA caliber player. As his skillset has evolved, he now fits even better than he did previously.
    I don't recall going into that thread, if I did, I obviously forgot about it. My bad on that one. I'm pretty sure I never read that thread to begin with though.

Usually, you would push harder if you wanted a player to get a chance. I would have thought that you would have started a new thread about it in the last month or so with all the struggles Neal has been going through. If you really believed in Joseph, I would have thought you would be bringing it up more often. I haven't personally read much in the last month or two where you've called for Joseph to get a real, legit shot at it. Maybe you have been and I just haven't come across those particular posts? Bruno is the only one that I've read, consistently, calling for him to get a shot at it. Again, if you have been saying it recently, sorry, I have missed your posts on it.
    Last edited by Ice009; 03-04-2013 at 06:54 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just for the sake of it, I can foresee the threads in two/three weeks, Cojo is good enough let's trade TP for a big and give the keys of the truck to the young gun.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    awesome debut btw

The Big Three Southwest Texas Fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm definitely rooting for Cojo (even with the very small sample size).

Unfortunately I think Pop is going with Neal, no matter what.
    Funny how Neal played last night even though he's still injured. I was surprised to see him and even my wife mentioned the same thing. Maybe Neal hears footsteps behind him.

TiagomustdominateFisher mrjap2x's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is there a video of a postgame interview of Cory Joseph?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was definitely among those that watched Cory Joe last year and seriously wondered if he'd ever be a viable NBA player. He just looked so bad last year. However, since Summer League hes shown so much freaking improvement. But with so many other more veteran options ahead of him I figured it was another full season in Austin.

I fully support him getting his crack at winning the back-up job though. Nando, Patty and Gary all had their turns and failed to really do much with that chance. Long-term, Cory has the most complete game and theoretically would be the best choice. I wish him the best! We definitely need him to step up.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Nando is a "true point guard" or at least close to it. I think his definition of a point guard is somebody who can comfortably bring the ball up the court, get us into our sets, run the offense, and run pick and rolls effectively. Mills and Neal are more like undersized shooting guards than point guards. Neal is notorious for "killing the offense" with his shots, but I'm still a fan of him and the whole "neal with it" campaign. Nando runs the offense decently, but he's too turnover prone for a backup gig. If your starter is explosive but turns it over a la prime wade, its fine, but a backup should be careful and focus on "not screwing up." Nando needs another offseason or even d-league time tbh. Cory fits the mold awesomely, at least from what we've seen in limited stints. He just looks natural out there. Nando often looks like he's forcing things, and scoring doesn't come second nature to him
    Some folks on here consider Nando to be a shooting guard as he lacks the size and speed to defend the quicker NBA point guards. I can definitely agree that Patty and Neal aren't real point guards in the definition that you've given, but fortunately for them, they don't have to be. Manu provides the play making and offense running that a Nash-like point guard usually does, which allows Patty and Neal to do what they do best,which is to SCORE.

Nando, Patty and Gary all had their turns and failed to really do much with that chance. Long-term, Cory has the most complete game and theoretically would be the best choice. I wish him the best! We definitely need him to step up.
    I don't really understand why people say that Patty's failed to really do much with the limited opportunities that he's been given. I mean, if I remember correctly, Patty, when played with Manu, gives the Spurs the largest point differential per 100 possessions of any pair in the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't really understand why people say that Patty's failed to really do much with the limited opportunities that he's been given. I mean, if I remember correctly, Patty, when played with Manu, gives the Spurs the largest point differential per 100 possessions of any pair in the Spurs.
    Yes, because Patty is playing as a SG beside PG Manu. He really hasn't shown any ability to exist on his own without Manu.

Besides, there was a thread recently discussing how a huge chunk of Patty's numbers come in garbage time, and his stats aren't nearly as appealing when you consider those taken during close games.

Regardless, I like Patty. But he hasn't shown any ability to be a floor general. Hes been better served as a change of pace offensive sparkplug.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, because Patty is playing as a SG beside PG Manu. He really hasn't shown any ability to exist on his own without Manu.

Besides, there was a thread recently discussing how a huge chunk of Patty's numbers come in garbage time, and his stats aren't nearly as appealing when you consider those taken during close games.

Regardless, I like Patty. But he hasn't shown any ability to be a floor general. Hes been better served as a change of pace offensive sparkplug.
    I did read timvp's thread, and his argument was flawed. His thread was based on Patty's playing time when the Spurs are down by 10, and being down by 10 isn't always "garbage time". Besides, Manu rarely ever plays in garbage time, so the Manu-Patty positive point differential for the Spurs does say something about how Patty's played as the backup point guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cojo looked really good. I think Pop was doing PG by committee.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Next few games CoJo will be defending:

Nate Robinson
    Damian Lillard (!)
    Russell Westbrook (!!)
    Ricky Rubio
    Darren Collison

He's got kyrie coming up soon after that. That'll be the toughest matchup for him yet

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not buying the CoJo kool-aid. He played a fairly pedestrian game in a blow out. We don't even know if he can run the pick and roll with any effeciency. Some folks just want the kid to be good and see him through rose colored glasses. Most of the game he brought the ball up and simply passed the ball to someone else who who ran the half court play. He may have some game at some point, but there is no way you can validate his game from this particular blow out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I did read timvp's thread, and his argument was flawed. His thread was based on Patty's playing time when the Spurs are down by 10, and being down by 10 isn't always "garbage time". Besides, Manu rarely ever plays in garbage time, so the Manu-Patty positive point differential for the Spurs does say something about how Patty's played as the backup point guard.
    That doesn't change the fact that Patty is an undersized SG. If he was a bit bigger nobody would realistically be talking about him as an option at PG. The only reason we're having that discussion is because of his height. Thats kind of a deal breaker when you can't run the offense.

Look, I really like Patty and what he often brings as far as energy and a scoring punch. But he isn't a PG.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Got to disagree. Your point guard is your first line of defense. You need a good defender at that spot.
    Don't pay an attention to him. He just says things to try to be different from everyone else and most of the time it's just his ass talking.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not buying the CoJo kool-aid. He played a fairly pedestrian game in a blow out. We don't even know if he can run the pick and roll with any effeciency. Some folks just want the kid to be good and see him through rose colored glasses. Most of the game he brought the ball up and simply passed the ball to someone else who who ran the half court play. He may have some game at some point, but there is no way you can validate his game from this particular blow out.
    Actually bringing up the ball and initiating the offense has been a bit of a problem with some of our backups.

Paranoid
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's nice to have, but you don't need it like you need a good defender on the interior to anchor your defense. A PG can't come close to having the same level of impact defensively.
    Bledsoe is an example of a backup PG having a huge impact with his defense. If Cojo can have even fraction of that impact it'd be worth it.

Paranoid
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What I'd agree with is how everyone is coming out of the woodwork to say how brilliant he is. He's better than the other two on D, that's enough for him to clinch the spot, he's also probably worse than the other two offensively, no need to see him through rose colored glasses to say he's the best to clinch the weakest spot in the rotation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're right, but the offense flowed brilliantly with Joseph in the game,and we've seen how it can stall with Decolo and Mills. Cojo has his own unique version of how the PG is played in our system, and he made so many of the right plays (hockey assists, defense, etc), while playing within the offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, maybe its just the way they move, but, Joseph has a bit of Maurice Cheeks to his game.

Shootin' like Ed O'Bannon Darius McCrary's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope he gets true starter quality minutes. Pop gave George Hill mad mad playing time as a rookie when Parker went down in similar fashion. Cory has done everything that's been asked of him and he deserves his shot. , he deserved it thirty games ago.

However, i agree with DPG that Pop will find a way to give the lions share of minutes to Neal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is there a video of a postgame interview of Cory Joseph?
    not post game but practice interview from today:

http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/2013/...ephmov-2403585

Thread Information