Page 22 of 53 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two-Year-Old North Carolina Girl Dies After Accidentally Shooting Herself

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/two-year-old-north-carolina-girl-dies-after-accidentally-shooting-herself

yet another gun death that didn't "decline"

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Two-Year-Old North Carolina Girl Dies After Accidentally Shooting Herself

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/two-year-old-north-carolina-girl-dies-after-accidentally-shooting-herself

yet another gun death that didn't "decline"
    Disregard the fact that there are more guns in circulation, just show me the increase in gun crime.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 2002 edition of Injury Facts from the National Safety Council reports the following statistics :
    • In 1999, 3,385 children and youth ages 0-19 years were killed with a gun. This includes homicides, suicides, and unintentional injuries.
    • This is equivalent to about 9 deaths per day, a figure commonly used by journalists.
    • The 3,385 firearms-related deaths for age group 0-19 years breaks down to:
      • 214 unintentional
      • 1,078 suicides
      • 1,990 homicides
      • 83 for which the intent could not be determined
      • 20 due to legal intervention

• Of the total firearms-related deaths:
      • 73 were of children under five years old
      • 416 were children 5-14 years old
      • 2,896 were 15-19 years old

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_c...cidents#slide7

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    It really took you two days to produce a link that still doesn't answer TSA's question?

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Published on Dec 22, 2012
    Hupp and her parents were having lunch at the Luby's Cafeteria in Killeen in 1991 when the Luby's massacre commenced. The gunman shot 50 people and killed 23, including Hupp's parents. Hupp later expressed regret about deciding to remove her gun from her purse and lock it in her car lest she risk possibly running afoul of the state's concealed weapons laws; during the shootings, she reached for her weapon but then remembered that it was "a hundred feet away in my car." Her father, Al Gratia, tried to rush the gunman and was shot in the chest. As the gunman reloaded, Hupp escaped through a broken window and believed that her mother, Ursula Gratia, was behind her. Actually however, her mother went to her mortally-wounded husband's aid and was then shot in the head.

As a survivor of the Luby's massacre, Hupp testified across the country in support of concealed-handgun laws. She said that if there had been a second chance to prevent the slaughter, she would have violated the Texas law and carried the handgun inside her purse into the restaurant. She testified across the country in support of concealed handgun laws, and was elected to the Texas House of Representatives in 1996. The law was signed by then-Governor George W. Bush.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    The 2002 edition of Injury Facts from the National Safety Council reports the following statistics :
    • In 1999, 3,385 children and youth ages 0-19 years were killed with a gun. This includes homicides, suicides, and unintentional injuries.
    • This is equivalent to about 9 deaths per day, a figure commonly used by journalists.
    • The 3,385 firearms-related deaths for age group 0-19 years breaks down to:
      • 214 unintentional
      • 1,078 suicides
      • 1,990 homicides
      • 83 for which the intent could not be determined
      • 20 due to legal intervention

• Of the total firearms-related deaths:
      • 73 were of children under five years old
      • 416 were children 5-14 years old
      • 2,896 were 15-19 years old

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_c...cidents#slide7
    Show me the increase in gun crime.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My declining number is true, your claim is bull .

We agree there are more guns, now show there is MORE gun violence.
    You moved the goalpost from this spot, sophist.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems that part of his argument is that guns are also involved in incidents that are not criminal.

The accidental gun deaths and suicides are important in his numbers but not yours?
    Is this correct?

Deaths caused by motor vehicles is a big number. Our society currently deems the aforementioned as a biproduct of a very important transportation activity and have therefore accepted the risk involved. So you are saying our society has also deemed the risk involved in owning a firearm as acceptable because guns actually help protect more people than they hurt as well. That owning a gun may even prevent more incidents than they cause?

Just attempting to clear things up as this is a tough issue for me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mark Stern, the co-owner of the Big Picture theater in Belltown, is already anticipating hate mail and angry calls from gun owners. He wants them to know he’s not against guns. But if they’re thinking of coming to his movie theater, he’d rather they don’t bring their guns along.

“We think, as private business owners, we can say that we prefer customers to leave their guns at home,” Stern said.

On Thursday, The Big Picture became the 100th Seattle business to join a gun-free-zone effort sponsored jointly by the city and Washington CeaseFire. At a news conference to announce the milestone, Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn said that since the program started in August, almost one business a day has signed up.
    http://seattletimes.com/html/localne...eezonexml.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Violent crime in the United States rose for the second year in a row, a government report said Thursday, indicating that the nation's two-decade decline in crime has ended.

The 2012 National Crime Victimization Survey by the Bureau of Justice Statistics found that 26 of every 1,000 people experienced violent crime, a 15% increase in how many people reported being victims of rape, robbery or assault. Property crime — burglary, theft and car theft — rose 12%.

"We've plateaued. At this point, I don't think we're going to see any more decreases in crime," said criminologist James Alan Fox of Northeastern University in Boston. "The challenge will be making sure crime rates don't go back up."

Even so, after two decades of falling crime rates, violent crime remains at historically low levels. Crime rates have dropped steadily since 1993, when 80 of every 1,000 people reported being victims of violent crime. The homicide rate declined 48% from 1993 to 2011.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...tates/3180309/

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    You moved the goalpost from this spot, sophist.
    I haven't moved a thing. Here is his claim.

More guns = more guns violence and more gun deaths.
    Again boutons, show me the increases.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Again boutons, show me the increases.
    I just love baiting you gun fellators. did I say increases?

did you say more guns CAUSE less gun deaths, violence?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

More guns = more guns violence and more gun deaths.
    Is today the day of the dumbass or something?

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    It seems that part of his argument is that guns are also involved in incidents that are not criminal.

The accidental gun deaths and suicides are important in his numbers but not yours?
    Is this correct?
    Correct, and both of these are also on the decline.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count

did you say more guns CAUSE less gun deaths, violence?
    So you are finally admitting that gun crime is not on the rise, despite the millions more guns that are now in circulation?

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Is today the day of the dumbass or something?
    Gun deaths are also on the decline.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Your claim that more guns in circulation leads to more gun crimes and gun-related deaths implies increases in those categories, yet you've been completely unable to come up with any link that proves your argument....

In reality, you are simply parroting a party-line talking point as usual, and the fact that you are wilting under questioning of your claim proves it....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gun deaths are also on the decline.
    I have no interest in arguing this topic with you. You are disingenuous and it's a waste of time as evidenced by your goal post switch. You won't even admit to it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your claim that more guns in circulation leads to more gun crimes and gun-related deaths implies increases in those categories, yet you've been completely unable to come up with any link that proves your argument....

In reality, you are simply parroting a party-line talking point as usual, and the fact that you are wilting under questioning of your claim proves it....
    http://www.internalmedicinenews.com/...3c4d95711.html

There is proof. Peer reviewed study.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The article doesn't dispute that. Note it says deaths and not crimes. Crime in general has decreased over the last 20 years for whatever that is worth. Also it should be nothed that the brady bill and assault weapon ban was passed in the 90s. That doesn't really help your cause that crime went down significantly in the 90s.

the amount of unregistered legal firearms in the country makes tracking gun ownership nearly impossible so the whole "more gun" or "less gun" thing an impossible task.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    I have no interest in arguing this topic with you. You are disingenuous and it's a waste of time as evidenced by your goal post switch. You won't even admit to it.
    You've said you won't argue this with me for over a year, yet here you are again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You've said you won't argue this with me for over a year, yet here you are again.
    Over a year? If you say so. I am just pointing out that you are a sophist shill and showing how. I am not arguing the issue on its merits. I will talk to CN on merit but I think you are a pos, tbh.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    The first graph I posted shows an overall decrease in firearm homicide deaths per 100,000 people since 1993.... the study you posted doesn't distinguish between suicide and homicide, which skews their data, tbh....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The first graph I posted shows an overall decrease in firearm homicide deaths per 100,000 people since 1993.... the study you posted doesn't distinguish between suicide and homicide, which skews their data, tbh....
    It's a medical journal and not a criminal one. Skews it how? You saying we shouldn't care if people want to kill themselves? Taht they shouldn't count? It doesn't distinguish between accidental shootings either.

Thread Information