Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the 1st Amendment basically applies to preventing specifically the govt from blocking speech.

There is essentially no freedom of speech in the private sector.

Assange is not a US citizen, was not on US soil, and committed no crime, but Imperial America crushes him anyway, for the MIC's incompetence and horribly bad design of their information security.
    There is freedom of speech in the private sector but it is balanced by the accountability of civil litigation if the speech is damaging.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry dude. Your analogy upstream about two sentences of free speech but no high capacity paragraphs was just ing stupid. Free speech is limited and has been infringed. I can write a book on the infringement on our 4th ammendment rights since 9/11. The second ammendment is not immune.
    No, it wasn't a bad analogy. High capacity ammo clips in the hands of a solid citizen are no more dangerous than non harmful speech. Neither should be illegal.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is freedom of speech in the private sector but it is balanced by the accountability of civil litigation if the speech is damaging.

bulll

corporations fire people for Internet posts,

corporations ask candidates for their passwords to their private facebook, etc accounts.

taxpayer-financed public schools suspend/expel/arrest students any speech violations in or out of school

etc, etc, etc.

There's TONS of intimidation of free speech in private sector.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 03-15-2013 at 02:05 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bulll

corporations fire people Internet posts,

corporations ask candidates for their passwords to their private facebook, etc accounts.

taxpayer-financed public schools suspend/expel/arrest students any speech violations in or out of school

etc, etc, etc.

There's TONS of intimidation of free speech in private sector.
    Free speech does not necessarily mean freedom from the repercussions of said speech.
    Last edited by CosmicCowboy; 03-15-2013 at 01:55 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Free speech does not necessarily mean freedom the the repercussions of said speech.
    a 5-year old was arrested at school and booked as a terrorist for talking about "shooting" at her friend, she was talking about shooting bubbles, not bullets. Obviously, the repercussions of shooting bubbles are criminalizing.

the obvious problem with your "repercussions" position is that lots of speech harms no one, "breaks no bones", but it still widely intimidated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. Washington, D.C.

The nation's capital is also the capital of gun deaths. There were 24.5 firearm-related deaths per 100,000 people in Washington, D.C.

Possession of firearms

In Washington, D.C., all firearms must be registered with the police, by the terms of the Firearms Control Regulations Act of 1975.
    The same law also prohibited the possession of handguns, even in private citizens' own homes, unless they were registered before 1976. However, the handgun ban was struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court in the 2008 case District of Columbia v. er. The Supreme Court ruled that the Second Amendment acknowledges and guarantees the right of the individual to possess and carry firearms, and therefore D.C.'s ban on handguns was uncons utional.[3]
    Following the er decision, the Washington D.C. City Council enacted a set of rules regulating the possession of handguns in citizens' homes. In addition to each handgun being registered with the police, the rules require that D.C. residents undergo a background check and submit fingerprints. The firearms registry photographs the applicant. Residents must take an online gun safety course, and pass a written test on the District's gun laws. Residents must also declare where it will be kept.[4][5][6][7]
    Concealed carry

The District of Columbia does not permit the concealed carrying of firearms. Open carry is also prohibited. A lawsuit was filed on August 6, 2009, to compel the district to issue permits to carry weapons.[8]

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Father accidentally shoots, kills 10-month-old son in front of family

A 10-month-old boy was shot and killed by his father Thursday in an apparent accident at a Nashville, Tenn.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...of-family?lite

NRA is really pissed off at the death of highly potential gun fellator.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And in other news, someone was killed in a car accident. happens.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    gun fellators' fatalism is hilarious

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And Seat belts are pulsory to minimize fatalities in car accidents. Seatbelt regulation has been highly effective.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boo s hysteria is hilarious.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pushers blue team cheerleading is hilarious.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And Seat belts are pulsory to minimize fatalities in car accidents. Seatbelt regulation has been highly effective.
    mandatory seat belts, and all kinds of safety features have been designed into cars in the last 35+ years have reduced car deaths.

the alcohol industry, always seeking profits at all costs, has very effectively limited the state penalties for DWI, as well has blocking any attempts to lower the legal limit beyond the ridiculously high 0.08. Countries not ruled by their alcohol industries use 0.05.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And if you really want to use a car regulation analogy the proposed gun regulations would be more like outlawing cars with more than 150hp.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    In B4 V8 Fellator.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In B4 V8 Fellator.
    I confess to being a V8 fellator

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And if you really want to use a car regulation analogy the proposed gun regulations would be more like outlawing cars with more than 150hp.
    no. the correct analogy would speed limits of 150 mph for all vehicles, no seat belts, no reinforced bodies for crash protection, no air bags.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    suits the outa me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And we've now drilled down to moronic.

FREEDOM!

in William Wallace here thinks seat belts meaningfully infringe on his liberty.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And we've now drilled down to moronic.

FREEDOM!

in William Wallace here thinks seat belts meaningfully infringe on his liberty.
    I voluntarily wear my seatbelt. I did it before it was against the law not to wear it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just like I safely use guns with large capacity magazines.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My 86 year old mother just got her CHL last weekend using my 15 shot 9mm.
    Last edited by CosmicCowboy; 03-15-2013 at 03:38 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I voluntarily wear my seatbelt. I did it before it was against the law not to wear it.
    Your personal antcitdotes are irrelevant tbh. Has seatbelt regulation effectively reduced fatalities?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Your personal antcitdotes are irrelevant tbh. Has seatbelt regulation effectively reduced fatalities?
    Yes. Nobody is killed by seatbelts any more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be even safer to stuff the car with the strawmen you keep building.

Thread Information