Page 1 of 53 123451151 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    States With Most Gun Laws Have Fewest Gun Deaths, Study Finds

According to NBC News:

“It seems pretty clear: If you want to know which of the states have the lowest gun-mortality rates just look for those with the greatest number of gun laws,” said Dr. Eric W. Fleegler of Boston Children’s Hospital who, with colleagues, analyzed firearm-related deaths reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from 2007 through 2010.

By scoring individual states simply by the sheer volume of gun laws they have on the books, the researchers noted that in states with the highest number of firearms measures, their rate of gun deaths is collectively 42 percent lower when compared to states that have passed the fewest number of gun rules. [...]

As proof, Fleegler pointed to the firearm-fatality rates in law-laden states such as Massachusetts (where there were 3.4 gun deaths per 100,000 individuals), New Jersey (4.9 per 100,000) and Connecticut (5.1 per 100,000). In states with sparser firearms laws, researchers reported that gun-mortality rates were higher: Louisiana (18.0 per 100,000), Alaska (17.5 per 100,000) and Arizona (13.6 per 100,000).

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/03/07/1686081/study-states-with-most-gun-laws-have-fewest-gun-deaths/

more guns = more gun violence and gun deaths, an irrefutable FACT.

Imagine how many 10Ks of gun injuries and deaths, which far outnumber "terrorist" attacks on USA, if there were highly restrictive FEDERAL guns laws.

Oops, you gun fellators don't have enough brain cells to activate imagination.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chicago has high rate of murders with guns and strict gun laws. You fail/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    States With Most Gun Laws Have Fewest Gun Deaths, Study Finds

According to NBC News:

“It seems pretty clear: If you want to know which of the states have the lowest gun-mortality rates just look for those with the greatest number of gun laws,” said Dr. Eric W. Fleegler of Boston Children’s Hospital who, with colleagues, analyzed firearm-related deaths reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from 2007 through 2010.

By scoring individual states simply by the sheer volume of gun laws they have on the books, the researchers noted that in states with the highest number of firearms measures, their rate of gun deaths is collectively 42 percent lower when compared to states that have passed the fewest number of gun rules. [...]

As proof, Fleegler pointed to the firearm-fatality rates in law-laden states such as Massachusetts (where there were 3.4 gun deaths per 100,000 individuals), New Jersey (4.9 per 100,000) and Connecticut (5.1 per 100,000). In states with sparser firearms laws, researchers reported that gun-mortality rates were higher: Louisiana (18.0 per 100,000), Alaska (17.5 per 100,000) and Arizona (13.6 per 100,000).

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/03/07/1686081/study-states-with-most-gun-laws-have-fewest-gun-deaths/

more guns = more gun violence and gun deaths, an irrefutable FACT.

Imagine how many 10Ks of gun injuries and deaths, which far outnumber "terrorist" attacks on USA, if there were highly restrictive FEDERAL guns laws.

Oops, you gun fellators don't have enough brain cells to activate imagination.

No matter what laws you make crooks will still get the guns illegally.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Fleegler said he hoped the findings would influence debate on gun-control laws." The researcher just admitted going in with a bias. A real scientist does his research for its own sake, not to suck up to government.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too bad this study doesn't use REAL statistics... like... say... from the F.B.I... that shows in states where people are allowed to exercise their 2nd Amendment RIGHT, crime is... wait for it... LOWER...

But hey, let's not use facts... Nice to see Gun (People) Control infested Chicago has such a low firearm crime rate... But hey... It's the media. I expect the Leftwing bias now... Even from this rag, the Trib...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Utter nonsense. Gun deaths in the United States are predominately associated with street gangs and the sale of narcotics. Chicago is the best example. Toughest firearms regulations possible in the city. Yet hundreds of young men are shot every year. Handguns used in 70% of the shootings (possibly more but ballistic evidence can be lacking). Majority of firearms recovered by police were not registered and were obtained outside the city or the state and were purchased by someone other than the shooter. Gun laws do not bother street gang members. This article is trash.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And those Chicago thugs can leave Cook county and get all the guns they would like. Or better yet they can go to IN and get even more. And the study is from the CDC, where in the do you think they get the stats from?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And those Chicago thugs can leave Cook county and get all the guns they would like. Or better yet they can go to IN and get even more. And the study is from the CDC, where in the do you think they get the stats from?
    This article is biased.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Boognish

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you are going to change usernames you should get a new schtick. When you start the 'this is my thread' and 'America: love it or leave it' schtick it's pretty obvious.

I will say that you googling me and making beach fantasies is disturbing.

The article was referring to the CDC study. That biased too?

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    If you are going to change usernames you should get a new schtick. When you start the 'this is my thread' and 'America: love it or leave it' schtick it's pretty obvious.

I will say that you googling me and making beach fantasies is disturbing.

The article was referring to the CDC study. That biased too?
    Your trolldar is as bad as your gaydar. Not me you ing idiot.

"In conclusion, the application of imperfect methods to imperfect data has commonly resulted in inconsistent and otherwise insufficient evidence with which to determine the effectiveness of firearms laws in modifying violent outcomes."-CDC

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your trolldar is as bad as your gaydar. Not me you ing idiot.

"In conclusion, the application of imperfect methods to imperfect data has commonly resulted in inconsistent and otherwise insufficient evidence with which to determine the effectiveness of firearms laws in modifying violent outcomes."-CDC
    Sure thing, beachcomber. If that isn't you then you two use remarkably similar takes as I pointed out.

Your quote was not in reference to their own study. We have talked about other studies based on ownership in the US being limited because of that reality. That's why that study correlated violence with gun laws and why I bring up studies from countries that actually track their firearms.

You suck at critical thinking, beachcomber. You should note that when I insult your thining skills it has basis and is not blindly butthurt lashing out. Empiricism. Try it.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chicago has high rate of murders with guns and strict gun laws. You fail/
    You have condensed your findings to a smaller area by taking a city instead of a state and made a conclusion based on that. The broader the area the more accurate the findings, so states > cities.
    You fail

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too bad this study doesn't use REAL statistics... like... say... from the F.B.I... that shows in states where people are allowed to exercise their 2nd Amendment RIGHT, crime is... wait for it... LOWER...

But hey, let's not use facts... Nice to see Gun (People) Control infested Chicago has such a low firearm crime rate... But hey... It's the media. I expect the Leftwing bias now... Even from this rag, the Trib...
    We are not talking about crime. We are talking about gun related deaths. Quit mixing words to deflect the original argument.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Your quote was not in reference to their own study
    yes it was, coward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes it was, coward.
    You only read the conclusion, beachcomber. The portion that the conclusion was referring to was:

Although multiple studies have examined the relationship between federal and state firearm laws and homicide and suicide rates, the overall association between firearm legislation and firearm mortality is uncertain and remains controversial.7- 8
    Note the superscript in bold? Now go and look at what the superscript refers to. They teach that particular nuance in high school english class. In fairness though, you have shown a lack of critical thinking and reading skills expected of a 4th grader so I shouldn't be surprised. I know that is a lot to expect you to read. 10 whole pages with a lot of pictures and charts.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Anonymous coward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anonymous coward.
    You sound like a AGW denier whining there is no evidence!!!! Only in this case the has been a successful lobbying effort to actually prevent the collection of the data.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd have to see the full list and methodology before saying anything about that study.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I blindly lash out hoping that Fuzzy will tell me more about his personal life.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    I own guns but no one else should

above average height mavs>spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    you need to look at the total crime rates, not just "gun death." if less people die by guns but more people die from stabbings, beatings, etc then you haven't really accomplished anything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My starting assumption would be that states in which more stringent gun laws are able to pass would be states where ownership and interest in guns/gun culture is lower in the first place.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Host Of TV Gun Show ‘A Rifleman’s Journal’ Shot And Killed

?Police say that at around 10:30 p.m. the woman’s husband, Wayne Bengston, came to the house and then shot Rodriguez and brutally beat his wife.

Police say Bengston then drove off with his 2-year old son who had been sleeping in the house and drove away.

He left the boy unharmed with a relative and then drove to his house in West Glacier.

That’s where Flathead County deputies and a SWAT team found his truck.

Authorities say they attempted to contact Bengston with no success, and when they entered his house they found Bengston dead of a gunshot wound to the head.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...z-shot-killed/

Thread Information