Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As soon as Kobe went down, Gasol was dropping triple-doubles like it was nothing.

Dude is still supremely skilled, but couldn't be paired with Duncan for significant stretches because of his poor PnR defence. Would still be a great player to have though, could play plenty of minutes in the regular season with Tiago and give Timmy a lot of rest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's been contaminated by the Laker virus. Once that happens, it's pretty much over. Look at what happened to Bynum when he left (And by left I mean shoved out the door). If Pau leaves, then his foot problems will suddenly explode and his career would probably be over... A hobbled 7 footer with the receiving team screwed on his salary commitment. Take a pass on him.
    He's only got one year left. Not much of a hobble.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's only got one year left. Not much of a hobble.
    It's not much of a hobble if you aren't the one writing his checks. LOL! $20M is a of a hobble, even if for only one year.

But on a more serious note, he does have Plantar Fascilaskjf;alskdjf ;alkfious. or however it is spelled. How serious is that and does it bode ill on him for next season?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not much of a hobble if you aren't the one writing his checks. LOL! $20M is a of a hobble, even if for only one year.

But on a more serious note, he does have Plantar Fascilaskjf;alskdjf ;alkfious. or however it is spelled. How serious is that and does it bode ill on him for next season?
    Not if he doesn't play this summer.

Seriously, there are teams that are going to WANT a large one year cap hit. There are crap FAs this summer, and there is a GREAT class in 2014. They'll grab Gasol, and "kick the can down the road" for one year so that they have cap room in 2014.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As soon as Kobe went down, Gasol was dropping triple-doubles like it was nothing.

Dude is still supremely skilled, but couldn't be paired with Duncan for significant stretches because of his poor PnR defence. Would still be a great player to have though, could play plenty of minutes in the regular season with Tiago and give Timmy a lot of rest.
    Skillful bigmen is always welcome. Surround Gasol with solid/above average PnR defender and you wont see the diffrence.

Having big men rotation of Duncan, Gasol, Splitter,Diaw, Bonner and Bayness would be awesome. None of them shouldnt reach 30 mpg in regular season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Skillful bigmen is always welcome. Surround Gasol with solid/above average PnR defender and you wont see the diffrence.

Having big men rotation of Duncan, Gasol, Splitter,Diaw, Bonner and Bayness would be awesome. None of them shouldnt reach 30 mpg in regular season.
    There will be no Gasol/Splitter. If Splitter is re-signed, the Spurs won't have enough cap room to bid successfully for Gasol if he were amnestied. We can only really afford to be amnesty bidders for Gasol if Splitter gets a ridiculous offer and the Spurs chose not to match.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I recall Spurs will have plenty of room, and they can throw 10mil for Gasol, even with Splitter resigned, whose price went down IMO. It`s way better option, than signing Millsap or Josh Smith.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There will be no Gasol/Splitter. If Splitter is re-signed, the Spurs won't have enough cap room to bid successfully for Gasol if he were amnestied. We can only really afford to be amnesty bidders for Gasol if Splitter gets a ridiculous offer and the Spurs chose not to match.
    I'm not sure. There's a huge number of variables but it mainly comes down to what Manu is willing to take and what the salary cap is. If Manu takes around MLE money or less and the cap goes up, we could be looking at $10m. Use the stretch provision on Diaw and that figure could go as high as $13m which could be enough to get Gasol, but maybe not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure. There's a huge number of variables but it mainly comes down to what Manu is willing to take and what the salary cap is. If Manu takes around MLE money or less and the cap goes up, we could be looking at $10m. Use the stretch provision on Diaw and that figure could go as high as $13m which could be enough to get Gasol, but maybe not.
    Where's Splitter in your equation?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where's Splitter in your equation?
    He only has a $7.5m cap hold. Assuming a $62m cap (perhaps a little ambitious) we'd be $22.5m under the cap. Splitters cap hold puts us to around $15m, Manu's cap hold wipes that out but if he signs for $5m then we have $10m for free agents. Waive Diaw and that can go up to $13m.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He only has a $7.5m cap hold. Assuming a $62m cap (perhaps a little ambitious) we'd be $22.5m under the cap. Splitters cap hold puts us to around $15m, Manu's cap hold wipes that out but if he signs for $5m then we have $10m for free agents. Waive Diaw and that can go up to $13m.
    Ah, OK. I think your cap figure is ambitious, and I doubt seriously they'd dump Diaw for only a CHANCE at Gasol. Does your cap figure include Bonner, or are you dumping him, too? A realistic projection of what the Spurs might or might not do must include a veteran stretch 4.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah, OK. I think your cap figure is ambitious, and I doubt seriously they'd dump Diaw for only a CHANCE at Gasol. Does your cap figure include Bonner, or are you dumping him, too? A realistic projection of what the Spurs might or might not do must include a veteran stretch 4.
    I'm not sure about a stretch 4 tbh. No teams respect Diaws jumpshot, and the rest of the time we just play with Tiago/Timmy. I think we've shown we can get by without a stretch 4 if required.

I think my cap maths includes amnestying Bonner (saving us his $1m cap hit) and draft and stash our #28.

Even if you reduce the cap to a more realistic $60m, that could still give us a possible $11m. I'm not sure if we would have to waive Diaw before the bid, or just if we won. If it's the former then I can see why we wouldn't be willing to do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure about a stretch 4 tbh. No teams respect Diaws jumpshot, and the rest of the time we just play with Tiago/Timmy. I think we've shown we can get by without a stretch 4 if required.

I think my cap maths includes amnestying Bonner (saving us his $1m cap hit) and draft and stash our #28.

Even if you reduce the cap to a more realistic $60m, that could still give us a possible $11m. I'm not sure if we would have to waive Diaw before the bid, or just if we won. If it's the former then I can see why we wouldn't be willing to do it.
    I think you have to have the cap room available before you make a bid. Diaw also brings much more than just his shooting. The ball MOVES when he's on the floor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just realized that the Lakers can receive a player in a sign-and-trade for Pau pretty easily, so long as they do so before officially re-signing Howard. If the Lakers wanted Splitter, for example, they could sign him to a deal up to the max and still be under the tax until they inked Dwight. Howard's cap hold shouldn't affect this. That makes it significantly less likely that the Lakers would amnesty Gasol.

Is this true? If so, would it be a good deal for the Spurs to acquire Gasol for Splitter and use the MLE/trades to improve rather than trying to keep Tiago and Ginobili and using the remaining cap space on a free agent or two?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just realized that the Lakers can receive a player in a sign-and-trade for Pau pretty easily, so long as they do so before officially re-signing Howard. If the Lakers wanted Splitter, for example, they could sign him to a deal up to the max and still be under the tax until they inked Dwight. Howard's cap hold shouldn't affect this. That makes it significantly less likely that the Lakers would amnesty Gasol.

Is this true? If so, would it be a good deal for the Spurs to acquire Gasol for Splitter and use the MLE/trades to improve rather than trying to keep Tiago and Ginobili and using the remaining cap space on a free agent or two?
    For teams that receive a player in a sign and trade, the tax apron effectively becomes a hard cap. So even if the transaction you suggest was possible, and I'm not sure that it is, then the Lakers would have to fit all subsequent roster moves under the apron. That would mean letting Howard walk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For teams that receive a player in a sign and trade, the tax apron effectively becomes a hard cap. So even if the transaction you suggest was possible, and I'm not sure that it is, then the Lakers would have to fit all subsequent roster moves under the apron. That would mean letting Howard walk.
    I was using this part of the CBA FAQ to make my observation:

82. How do simultaneous trades work? How much salary can a team take back in a simultaneous trade?

A simultaneous trade takes place all at once. The amount of salary a team can take back in a simultaneous trade depends on the outgoing salary and whether the team is a taxpayer. They always use the post-trade team salary when looking at whether a team is a taxpayer, so a team under the tax level would be considered a taxpayer if the trade takes them over the tax level.
    The apron may work differently, but I didn't see anything on that. You're correct that the apron would become a hard cap, but the Lakers may be able to squeeze Howard in under the apron if they cut bait with most of the rest of their roster. That would involve essentially tanking next season, but they may be considering doing that anyway without Bryant and with them being in tax right now. I see no reason why they'd want to have Howard AND Splitter, so it would be likelier (that's a word, apparently) that Los Angeles would target Splitter only if they decided to go into full rebuilding mode without Howard. Splitter is a better fit for D'Antoni's offense, and if they want to keep the SSOL, getting Splitter and Kevin Love (for example) would be much better for them than keeping their current bigs.

In any event, horribly unlikely. Just trying to think outside the box, here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just trying to think outside the box, here.
    That's what the Think Tank is for.

While it's extremely unlikely that one of us will find a previously unknown loophole in the CBA, there's no harm in trying and it can generate good discussion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was using this part of the CBA FAQ to make my observation:

The apron may work differently, but I didn't see anything on that. You're correct that the apron would become a hard cap, but the Lakers may be able to squeeze Howard in under the apron if they cut bait with most of the rest of their roster. That would involve essentially tanking next season, but they may be considering doing that anyway without Bryant and with them being in tax right now. I see no reason why they'd want to have Howard AND Splitter, so it would be likelier (that's a word, apparently) that Los Angeles would target Splitter only if they decided to go into full rebuilding mode without Howard. Splitter is a better fit for D'Antoni's offense, and if they want to keep the SSOL, getting Splitter and Kevin Love (for example) would be much better for them than keeping their current bigs.

In any event, horribly unlikely. Just trying to think outside the box, here.
    This is the summer that the serial free spenders get butt ed. LA's chickens are coming home to roost.

There's zero chance of them getting Splitter. That would require cap room in the summer of 2013, something they will have ZERO of. They'll be lucky to hold onto the sad team they had last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gasol's skill-set would be good on offense for the Spurs, but if him and Duncan were starters in the front court at this stage of their careers, the Pick-and-Roll/Pop would annihilate the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Pau were to be amnestied when would that decision have to take place? Any chance he still is?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Pau were to be amnestied when would that decision have to take place? Any chance he still is?
    Players will be amnestied between July 10th and July 16th. If Howard leaves Lakers, Gasol surely won't be amnestied. If Howard re-sign with Lakers, Gasol amnestied is a possibility even if a lot of journalists are saying that Artest will be the one amnestied.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would have loved this guys, but i think Diva is leaving LAL.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    would most certainly love this idea.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No thanks.

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I expect Dwight to leave, but if he's let go, you have to submit a bid. While he didn't look great this year, he's been a really good player for a long time and has sufficient passing and shooting skills to fit our system.

Thread Information