Height: 7-0 / 2.13
    Weight: 250 lbs. / 113.4 kg.
    Prior to NBA / Country: FC Barcelona / Spain

Info

1 year left on his contract

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they amnesty Gasol I'd like to see us throw our entire cap room at him. Of course it all depends on what Manu wants to re sign for and what the cap is. $8-$10m might not be enough but you never know.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Won't be amnestied. Jettisoning him doesn't eve bring them below the tax.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Won't be amnestied. Jettisoning him doesn't eve bring them below the tax.
    But it'll still save them a heck of a lot of money.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Amnestied player is going to highest bidder, right ? There will be a team who could throw him more money than Spurs - for example Houston or Atlanta

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But it'll still save them a heck of a lot of money.
    They'll trade him, maybe even to a team with cap room to absorb his whole contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Amnestying Gasol will save Lakers $70M and that's a conservative estimation. That's a lot of money, even for the Lakers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the owner passing away I wonder what that does for the Lakers short and long term?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jeesh, I wish I had the money to buy an nba team right now. With what the Lakers alone are going to pay in taxes one would do very well. Not to mention other big spending clubs like the Knicks and Nets will have large bills themselves. Wouldn't even have to field a good product!

puts in perspective just how lucrative those tv next deals are, and why our cable bills only seems to go up and up...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They'll trade him, maybe even to a team with cap room to absorb his whole contract.
    There can't be many teams who can absorb a $20m contract and for the teams that can, would they want to? He's still a good player, but at 32 coming off an injury ridden season do any rebuilding teams really want to take him on for max money?

Less is More
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scola was offered like 4 mil right
    teams will throw at least 10 mil at Gasol for 1 season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder what kind of impact the Kobe injury will have on a possible Gasol amnesty.

First, I don't see at all Lakers amnestying Bryant.

The Kobe injury could push Lakers to amnesty Gasol with the reasoning that it's useless to spend that much money on a sinking ship. It could have the opposite effect with Lakers thinking they even more need Gasol with Bryant out/diminished.

Gasol good end of the season could also save him for the amnesty especially if Lakers make the playoffs and Gasol plays well during them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was thinking the injury almost ensures that Gasol stays, but you could be right. Gotta think the Lakers won't be winning a le with Nash/Gasol/Howard, especially considering how injury prone they have all been this year.

If they think Kobe will be back in time for the playoffs next year (which it seems they do) would it still make sense? They won't be able to sign anyone after the amnesty as they won't be anywhere near the cap after the sign Howard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is even more of a chance that Kobe is amnestied, sits out the 2013-14 season in the name of recuperation; and then signs with the Lakers for 2014 and beyond. That way, the Lakers save $80 million (?) in luxury tax bill, get someone worthwhile to play for them considering their savings and then reboot the team in 2014-15 with Kobe and Howard.

That makes it less likelier that they will amnesty Gasol, IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is even more of a chance that Kobe is amnestied, sits out the 2013-14 season in the name of recuperation.
    The NBA season starts in 6 and a half months. Bryant is said to be out 6 to 9 months. It this timetable is true, Bryant should be able to play most, if not all, of next season.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gasol is out for sure, but it's going to be in trade and not amnesty. Artest will be the one to get amnestied.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gasol is out for sure, but it's going to be in trade and not amnesty. Artest will be the one to get amnestied.
    Pau is good, but not $20M good. That said, when the Lakers want to make a horribly one sided trade, for some strange reason, there are always plenty of takers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pau is good, but not $20M good. That said, when the Lakers want to make a horribly one sided trade, for some strange reason, there are always plenty of takers.
    That's a $19.3 million expiring contract. Teams are going to be lining up to trade for that deal to clear long-term money off their books. Gasol's trade value is going to be huge because of that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a $19.3 million expiring contract. Teams are going to be lining up to trade for that deal to clear long-term money off their books. Gasol's trade value is going to be huge because of that.
    If I'm Lakers, I wouldn't be interested in taking long term money for Gasol unless the players in return are really good.

In the 2014 summer, Lakers will have Howard and $35M in cap space if they let they keep all their expiring contracts and use the stretch provision on Nash.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would think they try to position themselves for a big name star whose contract will be up in the next year or 2. Who do you think they would look at in a trade?

I think a lot depends on if Howard stays or bolts to Dallas. That discussion has to be happening right now with his agent. If he stays, then I think they amnesty Kobe and try to persuade MWP to leave (although he won't). They are in a bad enough position with Nash's contract, but there's nothing they can do about that now. Then it makes sense to try to fill in some SF/SG pieces by trading Pau. If Howard bolts, then Pau is your main big. They still amnesty Kobe which gives them around $13M to sign another SG and or SF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I'm Lakers, I wouldn't be interested in taking long term money for Gasol unless the players in return are really good.

In the 2014 summer, Lakers will have Howard and $35M in cap space if they let they keep all their expiring contracts and use the stretch provision on Nash.
    Stretch provision?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a new CBA provision that allow to waive a player and stretch his salary over multiple years.

In Nash's case, Lakers can waive him next summer and stretch his $9.7M 2014-2015 salary over 3 years with a cap hit of $3.23M each year. It would allow Lakers to open more cap space.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'm thinking the end of the sign and trade is going to make LA's cap space look a lot less appealing. I think we could see an end to the days of the megastar leaving town unless he's just in a straight-out toxic situation. I mean sure, lots of players would love to go play in LA, but who's going to love the idea enough to leave $25-$30 million on the table? Cash Rules Everything Around Me still.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would think they try to position themselves for a big name star whose contract will be up in the next year or 2. Who do you think they would look at in a trade?

I think a lot depends on if Howard stays or bolts to Dallas. That discussion has to be happening right now with his agent. If he stays, then I think they amnesty Kobe and try to persuade MWP to leave (although he won't). They are in a bad enough position with Nash's contract, but there's nothing they can do about that now. Then it makes sense to try to fill in some SF/SG pieces by trading Pau. If Howard bolts, then Pau is your main big. They still amnesty Kobe which gives them around $13M to sign another SG and or SF.
    Like I was saying above to Bruno, the days of the superstar leaving town are likely numbered. I think the free agent market is going to start looking like a lot of flawed but talented guys like Josh Smith getting paid too much since no one worth a true max contract is going to sacrifice that money he can get by staying. We already saw this with Dallas last summer when Williams wouldn't leave a complete trainwreck to play in his hometown with a team 1 year removed from a le for one of the best owners in the league.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Locke, the Jazz pbp radio guy has brainstormed about the Jazz using their capspace this summer to just absorb Pau in a trade to pair with Favors and Kanter. The Lakers might not need to use the amnesty on Pau.

Thread Information