Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been new to Spurstalk for a couple of months now, like 1 month after the season began and after reading several posts i come across the term "He who shall not be named" several times . I'm thinking that it is Richard Jefferson, the 6'7 SF that used to play for San Antonio not too recently...but i don't know much about him as i've just started watching Spurs game since last year playoffs, before that, it was in 2007 when they won championships. But the big question is...what did he do to deserve the le? I think i've seen him on a Team USA poster before, his performance can't be that bad if he's up to TEAM USA standards... im just wondering what could it be that makes you Spurs fan degrade him so much. Can someone give me the run down??? Line me up here...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs still attract NEW fans? Interesting.

Bonner/Blair can't do dat capek's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's negatively associated with the championship drought because he was the one real big signing we had during that time, and he really didn't pan out. Not much more to it than that. When you're a fan of a team that has won 50+ games for 14 (really 16) straight seasons, you have to find something to be negative about. More an inside joke than anything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When we got him, he was supposed to be the one missing link we had been missing from the wing from an offensive perspective since Sean Elliott retired and he turned out to be a soft, lazy BUST. He blew the simplest assignments and even the athleticism he was known for, was rarely shown when he donned a Spurs uniform. Although I still think this le is more appropriate to the one I call a red-headed piece of who becomes the most worthless excuse of a basketball player in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When we got him, he was supposed to be the one missing link we had been missing from the wing from an offensive perspective since Sean ****** retired and he turned out to be a soft, lazy BUST. He blew the simplest assignments and even the athleticism he was known for, was rarely shown when he donned a Spurs uniform. Although I still think this le is more appropriate to the one I call a red-headed piece of who becomes the most worthless excuse of a basketball player in the playoffs.
    Come now, while Bonner is a playoff choker he sticks to what he does well: stick 3s in the regular season.

RJ was brought in as a fourth option to complement the Big 3 because all of the other contenders were stacking up (Lakers brought in Gasol, Celtics won a ring by trading for KG and Allen, then the year after the Heatles joined together) and... he was outplayed by George Hill a lot. It got to the point where he never closed out games (the Spurs went small to close out games in those days, with Manu at SF) and he utterly crapped the bed in the 2011 series.

Coming Off The Bench TheGoldStandard's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All things being equal I'm just as good as Bonner is in the playoffs and I would take half of what Bonner makes in salary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All things being equal I'm just as good as Bonner is in the playoffs and I would take half of what Bonner makes in salary.
    He's still not being paid an 8 digit salary and his contract is only partially guaranteed for next season. I don't see him in the playoff rotation though; Duncan should be playing ~36 minutes, Splitter ~34, and Diaw ~26.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been new to Spurstalk for a couple of months now, like 1 month after the season began and after reading several posts i come across the term "He who shall not be named" several times . I'm thinking that it is Richard Jefferson, the 6'7 SF that used to play for San Antonio not too recently...but i don't know much about him as i've just started watching Spurs game since last year playoffs, before that, it was in 2007 when they won championships. But the big question is...what did he do to deserve the le? I think i've seen him on a Team USA poster before, his performance can't be that bad if he's up to TEAM USA standards... im just wondering what could it be that makes you Spurs fan degrade him so much. Can someone give me the run down??? Line me up here...
    Richard?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Come now, while Bonner is a playoff choker he sticks to what he does well: stick 3s in the regular season.

RJ was brought in as a fourth option to complement the Big 3 because all of the other contenders were stacking up (Lakers brought in Gasol, Celtics won a ring by trading for KG and Allen, then the year after the Heatles joined together) and... he was outplayed by George Hill a lot. It got to the point where he never closed out games (the Spurs went small to close out games in those days, with Manu at SF) and he utterly crapped the bed in the 2011 series.
    I live close to Oakland, in the California Bay Area, and Warrior fans think RJ is a worthless piece of crap, too. Even their announcers today were wondering aloud how better the team would be had they kept Jax instead.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sean Eliot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I forgot about that little quirk, lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's negatively associated with the championship drought because he was the one real big signing we had during that time, and he really didn't pan out. Not much more to it than that. When you're a fan of a team that has won 50+ games for 14 (really 16) straight seasons, you have to find something to be negative about. More an inside joke than anything.
    More than an inside joke, actually.

The bugger was a total flop on the Spurs in his first season, was rewarded with a really bad 3 year contract, based on expectations that the first year would be an aberration. It wasn't and he was even more an headache plus a bad contract that couldn't be traded. Thankfully, the dumb Warriors did bite and we swapped him for a past Spurs cult hero, who despite diminishing returns has performed when it mattered most for the Spurs and has still been an upgrade over Jefferson.

Incidentally, the fella has been even more poor with the Warriors and is now an albatross weighing them down with another stiff named Andres Biedrins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I live close to Oakland, in the California Bay Area, and Warrior fans think RJ is a worthless piece of crap, too. Even their announcers today were wondering aloud how better the team would be had they kept Jax instead.
    That trade was one of the best R.C. pulled off.

The guy averages 3 ppg and barely sees the floor; he's their third string SF and even then Jackson closes out games with Klay Thompson at the 3 while Jack and Curry man the backcourt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More than an inside joke, actually.

The bugger was a total flop on the Spurs in his first season, was rewarded with a really bad 3 year contract, based on expectations that the first year would be an aberration. It wasn't and he was even more an headache plus a bad contract that couldn't be traded. Thankfully, the dumb Warriors did bite and we swapped him for a past Spurs cult hero, who despite diminishing returns has performed when it mattered most for the Spurs and has still been an upgrade over Jefferson.

Incidentally, the fella has been even more poor with the Warriors and is now an albatross weighing them down with another stiff named Andres Biedrins.
    At least Biedrins can rebound and defend; can't say the same for RJ.

He must be enjoying playing the Bay Area though.

Coming Off The Bench TheGoldStandard's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I see what you did there, nice!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ah, the gay thing. That stereotype about the Bay Area is so overblown outside of California...but oh well, what can ya do? LOL

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah, the gay thing. That stereotype about the Bay Area is so overblown outside of California...but oh well, what can ya do? LOL
    I actually thought its because he was "supposedly" gay...i saw a pic of him posing and smiling with some shirtless Chris Boshish looking dudes. There was nothing that looked straight about that pic...anyone think they can post it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm in LA and the SF jokes are rampant here too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If you live in SF, men.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually thought its because he was "supposedly" gay...i saw a pic of him posing and smiling with some shirtless Chris Boshish looking dudes. There was nothing that looked straight about that pic...anyone think they can post it?
    No, I know about the RJ being gay rumor and pic but I was reffering to the stereotype about the SF Bay Area(which includes Oakland) being comprised of mostly LGBT people and that the myth is only spread by people outside of California.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm in LA and the SF jokes are rampant here too
    Yeah but that's just because of the Giants and Dodgers fans hatred so you know that's just haterism.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah but that's just because of the Giants and Dodgers fans hatred so you know that's just haterism.
    meh. i'm not really in any baseball circles. heck, the only baseball team i "root for" is the dbacks just because i used to be enamored by randy johnson. of course SF loved him on the Giants... he was "the big unit" after all

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    meh. i'm not really in any baseball circles. heck, the only baseball team i "root for" is the dbacks just because i used to be enamored by randy johnson. of course SF loved him on the Giants... he was "the big unit" after all
    Yeah, yeah, hahaha. Whatever...lol.

Soft Like Twinkie Filling Juggity's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Richard Jefferson is easily one of the worst signings in Spurs history. He accelerated the no-defense, regular-season-team transition despite being touted as the guy who would bring the spurs back to glory; the fourth member of a new "Big 4".

His lackadaisical defense was pretty directly responsible for some playoff losses. Regularly played well for the first month or two of the season, but like Bonner he slowed down toward the end of the regular season and couldn't perform in the playoffs. I hate to pin an entire series on his back, but the way the spurs folded against Memphis is, to a great extent, due to a bad defensive effort, and he was one of the main culprits. The Spurs drafted Kawhi expressly to replace Richard Jefferson, and he knocked Jefferson out of the starting lineup within a few months.

Jefferson was gone by the trade deadline, and the spurs went on a 20 game win streak once acquiring Diaw and Stephen Jackson, further signaling the negative effect Jefferson had had on the Spurs while playing for them with a massive albatross of a contract.

Thread Information