DraftExpress
    NBADraft

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Southerland will work out for the Minnesota Timberwolves, Houston Rockets, San Antonio Spurs, Los Angeles Clippers, Detroit Pistons, Indiana Pacers, Washington Wizards and Utah Jazz."

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...or-Eight-Teams

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tall, long, jump shot. Why is he so low on draft boards?

3&D prospect?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just based on what I have seen on NCAA mixtapes: James Southerland>>>Kawhi Leonard in 2011.

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

3&D prospect?
    Born 28 April 1990.

He's more than a year older than Kawhi is now. He's an OLD senior who wasn't dominant. I wouldn't touch before 58, and even then I'd look elsewhere really hard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like what I've seen from him. His age isn't a big negative, since the Spurs are drafting so late. In fact, getting him for four cheap years at his age means he's more likely to reach his physical prime during his rookie contract. By the time he gets out of team control, his best years may be behind him, which is more than can be said from most players after seven or eight years in the league. Just like with Blair, a long contract with guaranteed money can be a good thing.

As far as lack of dominance goes, I don't know what people expect from a late pick. He's not going to be a star, but he looks capable of having a spot in the rotation in his first season. If Bertans doesn't come over this off-season, I'd love to get him.

I know a lot of talk in the Think Tank recently has been about finding young potential stars to take the torch from the Big Three. But I don't see that being a very quick transition. Duncan and Ginobili may leave in two years, but Parker should stay for about four to six season. By the time he hangs them up, most of the Spurs young players will be getting on in years. Only Leonard and Joseph will be in their prime. Parker, Green, Leonard, Diaw and Splitter can still get the Spurs to the playoffs, and getting role-players that perform well in that window is more important to finding potential stars for the time after the Parker era ends.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i think he'd be a good prospect. good agility time. long hands. height and wingspan. knocks down threes like a spur. played for a great college coach.

i'd be surprised if he goes undrafted. but if he does, i'd def want to see him on the summer league squad. he might even be a nice 2nd round pick. why draft and stash if there's a quality college vet available? him and davies are sounding like nice sleepers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasket...kout_vide.html

gotta keep southerland bumped too. just a general article. hyping the major interest, as evidenced by 8 team workouts. has an interesting video of southerland. he mentions the spurs, for their favor of shooters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just based on what I have seen on NCAA mixtapes: James Southerland>>>Kawhi Leonard in 2011.
    That's pretty much why GMs don't draft based on mixtapes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

3&D prospect?
    If he were 20, he'd be assumed to have a higher ceiling. Advancing age lowers your presumed development curve and ceiling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he's a dad gum bargain. spurs could work wonders with him if they can pull him off in the second round.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he's a dad gum bargain. spurs could work wonders with him if they can pull him off in the second round.
    He'll likely be undrafted. They're probably looking at him as a camp invite. DX has him rated as #74 in a 60 player draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Syracuse Basketball @syrbasketball
    San Antonio was set to pick Syracuse's James Southerland at No. 58, but wanted him to spend year in Europe. Source says he/agent declined.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope we give him a camp invite at least.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.nunesmagician.com/syracus...adelphia-76ers

a little more... about the southerland/europe story.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's all true about guarantees, but if Southerland doesn't make a roster this year, he may regret not taking the Spurs up on their offer. The team takes care of all its picks, so he' pretty much have free first-rate insurance as long as the Spurs still held his rights. He'd also have valuable connects with European teams, which is were he might end up playing if he doesn't succeed stateside. So while there's no money guaranteed, there is plenty of opportunity offered, and that may end up being worth a lot more than a training camp invite.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information