Weight: 240 lbs
    Birthday: 03/07/1990
    College: Kansas

DraftExpress
    NBADraft

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Kansas University senior center Jeff Withey, who broke the KU and Big 12 single-season record for blocked shots a year ago, on Monday surpassed Greg Ostertag as leading shot blocker in school history.
    Withey, a 7-foot, 235-pounder from San Diego who entered the KU-K-State game tied with Ostertag (258 blocks) swatted five shots in KU’s 83-62 victory over Kansas State in Allen Fieldhouse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    watching him for the first time vs West Kentucky in tourney, for a big guy he has good lateral movement, plays good D, and some decent post moves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice talent with good IQ. Though I don't think that he will be a huge difference maker in the league, he will probably go early.

Transition 3 Willbreaker Captivus's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at team who will draft him in 1st round

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Withey is what he is. At 23, there isn't much development or upside left. His ceiling is likely "rotation player". He might just be a roster spot if he doesn't work hard.

I'm your huckleberry K-State Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a very disciplined defender & a good shot blocker. His numbers say GREAT shot blocker, but probably overrated thanks to the lack of comparable size in college basketball/Big 12. Half his conference trotted out 4 guard lineups. 3/4 of the league had a starting 5-man who was 6'8 or shorter.

It should also be noted that Withey's help defense looked much more mortal when he played an opponent with a jumper who could pull him out of the lane. Shot blocks plummeted when he couldn't camp in the lane playing quasi-zone against a non-scorer who was likely 3-5 inches shorter than he was.

Other knock against him is that his upper body strength is pathetic for a man his size. No ability to turn around and shoot over the top of a smaller defender. Still brings the ball to his shoulder getting the shot off when defender bodied against him.

Overall, I'd call him a poor man's Scott Pollard.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every time I watch this kid play he kinda reminds me of a younger Splitter with better ability to finish at the rim.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He doesn't appear to have enough strength in his lower base to hold his position at the next level.

Pass.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Withey seems like a good pick at #28. To me he would fit the Spurs system perfectly. He is a great help defender as well as one-on-one. He is primarily a pick-n-roll offensive player which works great for the Spurs system. His numbers were not all that great at the combine, but combine results don't show much as far as intangibles. He is one of the smartest big men in college basketball. He would be a guy that could see minutes immediately due to his defensive prowess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only reason Withey makes sense is if the Spurs FO thinks it will be outbid (wont match offer) for Splitter. He's not a bad player, but he has one specific skill (shot-blocking) and limited upside. I'd rather the Spurs gambled on a more well-rounded role player like Muscala tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a very disciplined defender & a good shot blocker. His numbers say GREAT shot blocker, but probably overrated thanks to the lack of comparable size in college basketball/Big 12. Half his conference trotted out 4 guard lineups. 3/4 of the league had a starting 5-man who was 6'8 or shorter.

It should also be noted that Withey's help defense looked much more mortal when he played an opponent with a jumper who could pull him out of the lane. Shot blocks plummeted when he couldn't camp in the lane playing quasi-zone against a non-scorer who was likely 3-5 inches shorter than he was.

Other knock against him is that his upper body strength is pathetic for a man his size. No ability to turn around and shoot over the top of a smaller defender. Still brings the ball to his shoulder getting the shot off when defender bodied against him.

Overall, I'd call him a poor man's Scott Pollard.
    Great take. I was initially excited to see him as DX's Spurs pick, but you've dampened the enthusiasm. A big guy that late in the 1st would have to have a lot of strings attached.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He doesn't appear to have enough strength in his lower base to hold his position at the next level.

Pass.
    I don't know does Splitter have bigger guns then him? To me him and Splitter body wise look almost identical.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know does Splitter have bigger guns then him? To me him and Splitter body wise look almost identical.
    All the more reason not to draft a big with similar physical limitations. It's important for the Spurs to draft a big that can do some of the things necessary that Duncan isn't capable of doing for long periods of time. A big that can run the floor, defend the post, block shots, rebound and eventually provide some low post scoring. Whitey just looks passive to me and not someone to fit this bill. I would hope the Spurs would look elsewhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very possible selection

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just don't see it. Spurs have Baynes even if Splitter bolts, and he is one of the lowest upside players in the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a shot blocker and with some limited post moves. But his size and athleticism make him an excellent project player. He's not going to be a big scorer, but not impossible for him to be a poor man's DeAndre Jordan minus the flash. Still very effective, but he has to put a ton of time in the weight room and getting coached up to be a good player. I like the upside though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Former volley players have done well in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a shot blocker and with some limited post moves. But his size and athleticism make him an excellent project player. He's not going to be a big scorer, but not impossible for him to be a poor man's DeAndre Jordan minus the flash. Still very effective, but he has to put a ton of time in the weight room and getting coached up to be a good player. I like the upside though.
    He spent five years at a major college program. They had a weight room. He was "coached up". Dude is 23yrs old...what upside is left?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He spent five years at a major college program. They had a weight room. He was "coached up". Dude is 23yrs old...what upside is left?
    Btw, I feel the same way about Plumlee.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His advanced numbers defensively :o

It would be nice to snag him some how..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's having a great season for the Jazz. Someone will overpay for him this summer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's having a great season for the Jazz. Someone will overpay for him this summer
    He signed a two-year deal. Color me unsurprised. I really wanted him as the sixth big this past summer. Boban is losing some of his luster. No question in my mind that Jeff on his current deal is better value.

Thread Information