Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm definitely curious to see the contract details. A team that good has the capital to pull a multi-year deal without NBA out clauses.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So I guess Deshaun Thomas at SF is really going to be a thing at Barcelona. One and a half games in he has played all of his minutes on the wing.
    He wasn't exposed too much on D because he was guarding slower SFs but he just had to check Rudy Fernandez for a minute and was predictably blown by for a layup.
    A much better showing on offense though compared to the last game. He has already hit two spot up threes, had a nice drive out of the P&R to draw FTs and doesn't dwell on the ball unnecessarily.

Watching these stacked teams of Barca and Madrid is quite a blast. After seeing all these guys in action at the WC makes this look like an All Star game (but with actual basketball being played).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice. I hope he carves out a niche there. Any word on his contract length? I hope it's a long-term thing. It would suck to see him throw away a contract there trying (in vain) to make the Spurs next summer.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like he got a one year deal. Not surprising considering Barcelona can get players of his caliber every offseaon and Thomas is rather unproven:

http://www.sportando.com/en/europe/spain/133131/fc-barcelona-announces-deshaun-thomas.html

DeShaun Thomas signed a one-year contract with FC Barcelona.
    The American forward ex Ohio State will replace Kostas Papanikolaou in the roster of the Spanish champions.

Quieter performance for him in the second half against Madrid. He had a nice floater in the lane but didn't touch the ball all that much. In most plays he is a spotting up on the weak side or acts as a decoy being moved around to occupy the defense rather than being looked at to score.
    His defense wasn't tested much outside of one possession where he managed to keep Rudy in front of him to force a tough three.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Deshaun Thomas is apparently doing really well with Barcelona and playing solid defense at small forward

http://www.48minutesof .com/scout...ects-in-europe

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been looking at his numbers throughout the season. He looks like he's found his level. If he, LJC and Bertans were all on equal footing, then Thomas would probably get a chance to make the roster next season. But with Jean-Charles having a guaranteed deal, I don't think it'll happen for DeShaun, though he may force the team to give him a look.

The team should look into moving one of those three combo-forwards, since it makes no sense to bring all three of them in with Anderson and especially Leonard already on the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been looking at his numbers throughout the season. He looks like he's found his level. If he, LJC and Bertans were all on equal footing, then Thomas would probably get a chance to make the roster next season. But with Jean-Charles having a guaranteed deal, I don't think it'll happen for DeShaun, though he may force the team to give him a look.

The team should look into moving one of those three combo-forwards, since it makes no sense to bring all three of them in with Anderson and especially Leonard already on the team.
    I think the guaranteed deal is actually a disadvantage for Jean Charles, the same way an early second round pick is more valuable than a late 1st rounder. Spurs can negotiate a much more flexible contract with Deshaun Thomas and doesn't have to fully guarantee the first 2 years. I just worry that he will choose to stay with Barcelona instead because he will definitely get payed more than the 13th guy on an NBA roster AND he'll be getting playing time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the guaranteed deal is actually a disadvantage for Jean Charles, the same way an early second round pick is more valuable than a late 1st rounder. Spurs can negotiate a much more flexible contract with Deshaun Thomas and doesn't have to fully guarantee the first 2 years. I just worry that he will choose to stay with Barcelona instead because he will definitely get payed more than the 13th guy on an NBA roster AND he'll be getting playing time.
    Eh, I don't think you're thinking about it from the right perspective. We're not talking money here; we're talking roster spots. LJC will almost certainly have a spot next season, because the team owes him $2 Million guaranteed. So if the Spurs only have room for one of them, they'll probably pick Jean-Charles.

If Thomas plays his way into two guaranteed years, the Spurs would probably be happy to give them to him. But if they don't want to, they can rest in the knowledge that no one else in the league can negotiate with him. If Thomas decides to stay in Europe, then it's little sweat to the team, as they keep his rights. In fact, they probably want him to stay over there and continue to develop on Barca's dime until/unless he develops into an MLE-caliber player.

The actual risk (for everyone involved) is for Thomas to pull a McDaniels and sign his tender next season. He'd almost certainly get cut in camp, which means the team loses an asset and he loses the Spurs as a security blanket. On the other hand, if he comes in like gangbusters, then he'd get a decent deal in 2016. Decisions, decisions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With Bertans' injury, I think there's a very good chance that the Spurs bring over Thomas next season. I'm very excited to see him in the Summer League, as he's been getting strong praise in Barca. He'd be an interesting player to have as instant offense on the deep bench with an eye toward a bigger role in the future. If he and LJC are the additions next season, then the Spurs have an interesting mix at the backup 2-4 with them and Anderson. Passing, scoring and defense all in similar physical packages but with quite a few question marks mixed in. Will be fun.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've heard often about how the Bucks may try to test out a new style of play with a lot of guys in the 6-6 to 6-9 range playing different positions (MCW, Middleton, Greek, Ilyasova), but sometimes I wonder if the Spurs had that in mind with Leonard, Anderson, Bertans, Jean-Charles, and possibly Thomas. Really odd and new, but I wonder what they have in mind by drafting so many players that are of typical tweener size.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If this guy can be Brandon bass but with a 3 ball, I'll be ecstatic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If this guy can be Brandon bass but with a 3 ball, I'll be ecstatic.
    Bass is like 6'9"-6'10". Thomas is Blair sized, 6'6", maybe 6'7" with shoes. He'll never be big enough to defend the 4 or quick enough to defend the 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bass is like 6'9"-6'10". Thomas is Blair sized, 6'6", maybe 6'7" with shoes. He'll never be big enough to defend the 4 or quick enough to defend the 3.
    Dude, Bass is 6'7...http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Brandon-Bass-53/
    Thomas is 6'7 http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...n-Thomas-1290/

Der Willis der Spurs wird siegen! FlAVaK's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^Most sources have Bass at 6´8´´ nowadays, he was 6´7´´ in his rookie days.

But I agree, definitely not 9 or 10... and Thomas is 6´7´´´.

So there is a height-difference, but it is not that big!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    looks too healthy, tbh. Reggie Williams has made a bunch of NBA 3's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do think he's the most NBA-ready of the overseas prospects. I fully expect LJC to come over for contract reasons, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Thomas be the MVP of the summer-league team and force the Spurs to give him a camp tryout. He looks a lot more athletic now, and if he's kept up his skill level from last year, he'll be a decent bench guy.

So assuming he and LJC come over, I don't see the Spurs having room for a small-forward. That would be four on the roster not counting Green's ability to play there. A scoring guard would make sense, as would a BPA big. Maybe the Spurs will be able to trade Thomas' rights for a decent asset.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do think he's the most NBA-ready of the overseas prospects. I fully expect LJC to come over for contract reasons, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Thomas be the MVP of the summer-league team and force the Spurs to give him a camp tryout. He looks a lot more athletic now, and if he's kept up his skill level from last year, he'll be a decent bench guy.

So assuming he and LJC come over, I don't see the Spurs having room for a small-forward. That would be four on the roster not counting Green's ability to play there. A scoring guard would make sense, as would a BPA big. Maybe the Spurs will be able to trade Thomas' rights for a decent asset.
    Could you see Adam Hanga coming over as well? He would be the 3rd SG replacing Belinelli?

that could be 3 guys coming over that we have been building. Maybe even Bertans? Replaces Bonner and rehabs until Christmas then starts getting minutes.

But I agree, Thomas looks more athletic and explosive. If he has retained his shooting he would be very interesting as a backup to Leonard. The word is he is a really good defender overseas too. That kind of confirms the athleticism you see on the video.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could you see Adam Hanga coming over as well? He would be the 3rd SG replacing Belinelli?

that could be 3 guys coming over that we have been building. Maybe even Bertans? Replaces Bonner and rehabs until Christmas then starts getting minutes.

But I agree, Thomas looks more athletic and explosive. If he has retained his shooting he would be very interesting as a backup to Leonard. The word is he is a really good defender overseas too. That kind of confirms the athleticism you see on the video.
    Maybe Thomas. Don't see Hanga coming over. LJC isn't coming over. I think that was set earlier this season. Bertrans tore his ACL again like a month or 2 ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LJC already said he's coming over, and he has the authority to force the Spurs' hands.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The games I watched his defense was not very good. At least on the perimeter, he watched guys go right by him routinely.

There's full games on YouTube in case anyone wants to check them out.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LJC already said he's coming over, and he has the authority to force the Spurs' hands.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The games I watched his defense was not very good. At least on the perimeter, he watched guys go right by him routinely.

There's full games on YouTube in case anyone wants to check them out.
    His draft combine sprint and agility numbers were worse than Blair's. He'll never be able to guard NBA 2s and 3s. He's a worse defensive prospect than Kyle Anderson is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barcelona discussing a new contract with DeShaun Thomas

http://www.sportando.com/en/europe/s...un-thomas.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he ends up being a pretty decent overseas player who has forays into the NBA once or twice. But I also think he'll force his way into the Spurs TC first. Probably this year if he has a good SL.

Thread Information