Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    "....When just one week after being axed by Minnesota in 2013 Tubby Smith agreed to be the head coach at Texas Tech, more than a few around the college basketball world were left shaking their heads.

What was Tubby thinking? Why so soon? Didn’t the then-61-year-old coach want to take some time off after 22 consecutive seasons as head coach? And why on earth Texas Tech? Wasn’t that an impossible job at a remote spot in a ridiculously difficult hoops conference?

Three years later, Smith is turning heads.

Tuesday night, the Red Raiders rallied from a 12-point halftime deficit to*beat TCU 83-79*for their fifth consecutive league win, a first in the school’s 20 years of Big 12 basketball.

Better still, the win improved Texas Tech’s record to 18-9 overall and 8-7 in league play. The Red Raiders are ranked*24th by the RPI*and a solid bet to earn the school’s first NCAA Tournament invitation since 2007.

Said Kansas Coach Bill Self recently, “When we start talking about Big 12 Coach of the Year, I don’t think you have to look much further than Tubby"

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-c...#storylink=cpy

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    "Texas Tech coach Tubby Smith joined an elite group after becoming the 18th coach to accept the John R. Wooden Legends of Coaching Award on Friday.

Smith received the postseason recognition after helping guide the Red Raiders to a 19-win season, which included an NCAA Tournament appearance and earned Big 12 Coach of the Year honors as well.

https://texastech.n.rivals.com/news/...-wooden-awards

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    "Active coaches and athletes were joined in attendance by many former talents from both the collegiate and professional basketball ranks.

Smith recalled sitting alongside champions of the sport, such as Jerry West and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. But it was another Hall of Fame talent Smith encountered who was eager to assist the Red Raiders in their growth and development moving forward.

“Karl Malone [said], ‘coach, just let me come out and visit with your team,’” Smith revealed during a telephone interview. “He wants to come to Lubbock, so I’m like – ‘yes, Karl,’ and it was just a great night.

Malone was in attendance to witness Iowa State forward Georges Niang receive an award in his name, which is presented to the best power forward in college basketball.

The two-time MVP couldn't help but share with Smith his admiration for another Big 12 program.

“His son plays for LSU in football; his son played against us last year," Smith said. "[Malone] goes, ‘I’m really impressed with Lubbock and Texas Tech, coach, you need to get me out there.'"
    ...."

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Is that any good

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    He gone

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    We'll see. A lot of rumors flying around.

Not sure why Memphis would be that much more attractive than Tech tho. I could see him leaving for a larger school or a perennial power like ucla trying to get back on top.

But Memphis?

Whatever, it's been fun and he set a nice foundation for the next coach if he does leave.

Post Count
    Memphis probably has better basketball facilities and more of a history of success in men's basketball. They had been getting some top recruits not that long ago.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Yeah, with Calipari, they cheated their asses off. Out of 6 final fours, he's had to vacate 2.

But It's definitely more of a basketball school. Memphis is definitely a better town to live in than Lubbock, and he might get some kind of tie in to the Grizz if he decides to ever go pro.

It's disappointing, but I can't blame him. It's a cut throat business and they take opportunities when they come.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Glad they filled the position quickly with Beard

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Glad they filled the position quickly with Beard
    If it's a done deal, it's a home run for Tech

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Tubby is after Larry Brown's record for changing jobs.

The Golden Goddess TheCultOfPersonality's Avatar
    My Team
    Ole Miss Rebels
    Post Count
    Tubby is an upgrade over Pastner.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Tubby is an upgrade over Pastner.
    And just 3 years ago Minnesota thought Tubby was a has been and fired him.

Go figure

My Team
    Brigham Young Cougars
    Post Count

Thread Information