Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I can hear head Cheney intoning "with modern oil technology, we have nothing to fear"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can hear head Cheney conning the world, intoning "With modern pipeline, drilling technology, there is nothing to fear"

btw and apropos, from the oligarchy's Repug s, pro-police-state oppression, criminalizing dissent:

Congress Wants to Stop Pipeline Protests by Prosecuting Activists as Terrorists

“There is a national effort to stop protests like Standing Rock." woo hoo we got conspiracy!

In case a military-style takeover wasn’t enough to deter pipeline protesters at Standing Rock, some congressional lawmakers are pushing to treat environmental activists like terrorists.

A group of 80 congressional Republicans and four Texas Democrats in October submitted a letter to Attorney General Jeff Sessions asking him to look into the possibility of prosecuting pipeline protesters under the domestic terrorism statute.

They cited attempts to shut off valves and damage pipelines but seem to include the larger nonviolent resistance in their push to use the terrorism statute against activists. The bipartisan group claims that “maintaining safe and reliable energy infrastructure is a

matter of national security.”

https://rewire.news/article/2017/11/...ality+Check%29

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Least shocking news of the day, which, unfortunately, can be taken sarcastically or literally.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    eROI of tar sands was always a fool's game, quite apart from the barrel price, and of course totally independent of the external costs of pollution and disease that BigOil never pays.
    Justin Trudeau and the Liberals to the rescue:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/libe...681911?cmp=rss

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Judge vacates presidential permit, blocks construction, says the USG needs to correct its homework:

A federal judge issued an order Thursday blocking construction of the $8 billion Keystone XL Pipeline until further environmental analysis is conducted.

The decision comes as TransCanada is preparing to build the oil pipeline beginning in northern Montana, with pipe being shipped to the state by train and trucked to locations along the line.

Environmental groups that sued TransCanada and the U.S. Department of State in federal court in Great Falls called the decision to overturn the Trump administration-issued permit a landmark ruling.
    In his decision, U.S. District Judge Brian Morris said the government's analysis fell short on:

• The effects of the current oil prices on the viability of the pipeline.
    • The ulative effects of greenhouse gas emissions.
    • A survey of potential Native American resources.
    • And updated modeling of potential oil spills and recommended mitigation measures.

"The Department must supplement new and relevant information regarding the risk of spills," Morris wrote.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ne/1939371002/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TransCanada’s Keystone XL pipeline was flailing. Trump just revived it.

Just a couple of weeks ago, it looked like TransCanada’s Keystone XL pipeline was in hot water.

Decades of activism, protests, and court cases were paying off, big league, as delays harmed the financial viability of the project.

On Friday, the president
    revived the project with a stroke of his executive pen.

Trump just signed a presidential permit that

allows it to sidestep the courts and “construct, connect, operate, and maintain” the line between the U.S. and Canada,

in addition to maintaining a facility in Montana that will ship tar-sands crude oil into the United States.

many Trump administration decisions, the move is considered highly unusual.

If Trump’s decision holds up, it revokes a previous permit granted by Trump — the one that had been found insufficient by Morris — and reissues it.

https://grist.org/article/transcanadas-keystone-xl-pipeline-was-flailing-trump-just-revived-it/?utm_source=syndication&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaig n=newsletters-grist
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 04-01-2019 at 01:13 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keystone XL is dead

“With falling oil prices, both because of the pandemic and generally down since 2014, the industry is under a real squeeze, and we’ve seen a lot of players exit the market,” Sven Biggs, Canadian oil and gas programs director at Stand.earth, an environmental grassroots organization, told me.

“ConocoPhillips, S , Statoil from Norway, [and] the Koch Brothers have sold their stakes in the tar sands and moved on, which means there’s less need for these pipelines than previously expected,” Biggs added.

TC Energy had a difficult time attracting private investors to Keystone XL — it was only capable of putting shovels to the ground in the project with the help of a subsidy from Alberta Premier Jason Kenney, who approved more than $1 billion in public funds in the spring of 2020 to help the project.

So when Biden pulled the plug for good on Keystone XL, climate concerns and falling investment in Alberta’s oil sands have led experts to believe that, this time, Keystone XL is truly dead.
    https://www.vox.com/22306919/biden-k...climate-change

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wait, not dead yet?

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    wait, not dead yet?

I'll just bet they are.

This "reporting" makes that extra dollar+ a gallon since mother er Biden took over easier to pump.

Thread Information