Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We'd have to trade UP to get him. DX has him at 24.
    That is what I meant... my mistake.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DX has him at 24 but other sites have him going in mid second..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think people are too religious about the DX mock. Every year he projects people in the 1st who go in the 2nd and vice versa. Just because a guy is projected 24 doesn't mean he wont fall, just as theres no reason a guy projected mid-2nd will be there when we draft in the 1st.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DX has him at 24 but other sites have him going in mid second..
    DX is a reputable site, but it's one of many. It's also worth noting that they haven't factored team need. He's probably a late first to early second round pick at the moment. Of course that could change multiple times before draft day.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I have seen him in mid first to late second in different draft sites so with this draft who knows?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he'll go 1st round. Big numbers by elite Euro standards this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think people are too religious about the DX mock. Every year he projects people in the 1st who go in the 2nd and vice versa. Just because a guy is projected 24 doesn't mean he wont fall, just as theres no reason a guy projected mid-2nd will be there when we draft in the 1st.
    All mocks are a crap shoot, because trades tend to screw everything up. That being said, Jonathan isn't just some keyboard cowboy with a web site. He actually travels as far as Eastern Europe to see these guys first hand. He's at all of the pre-draft camps. He goes to the Nike Hoop Summit every year.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like DraftExpress, not so much for the Mock positions but for their video analysis (and listing strengths and weaknesses).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All mocks are a crap shoot, because trades tend to screw everything up. That being said, Jonathan isn't just some keyboard cowboy with a web site. He actually travels as far as Eastern Europe to see these guys first hand. He's at all of the pre-draft camps. He goes to the Nike Hoop Summit every year.
    Oh I agree, he's certainly the most reputable mock with the possible exception of ESPNs Chad Ford.

I'm convinced there will be a great player to be had at #30. Most years there is a player who is either servicable right away or could be moulded in to a rotation player drafted in the second round (Parsons, Stephenson, Green, Mills), and I expect that to happen again. Spurs just need to identify him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If anyone is interested in watching him play, there is a final four game of adriatic league on Friday, 8 pm local time (1 pm SA time). Winner goes to the final, it's gonna be interesting to see him play in a big game.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If anyone is interested in watching him play, there is a final four game of adriatic league on Friday, 8 pm local time (1 pm SA time). Winner goes to the final, it's gonna be interesting to see him play in a big game.
    Thanks for the head up. I will tune in for this one. Jusuf Nurkic is another interesting prospect, projected to be picked in the lottery by DX.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well he is does play with Bertrans so that would be cool draft him and then bring Bertrans over.

Transition 3 Willbreaker Captivus's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is still a 2nd rounder according to DX.
    I only see this guy being drafted in the 1st round. Drafting him in the 2nd round doesnt make sense, IMO. How much can he make playing in Europe?
    Maybe he will not participate in the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I only see this guy being drafted in the 1st round. Drafting him in the 2nd round doesnt make sense, IMO. How much can he make playing in Europe?
    [psssst. there is no salary structure in the second round. a team can pay him whatever money they have available.]

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [psssst. there is no salary structure in the second round. a team can pay him whatever money they have available.]
    I know...more than a European team?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    22 years old players are in draft by default.

He could earn up to 1 mil euro after taxes in good european club. Right now probably in range of 0.4 mil tops.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know...more than a European team?
    Yes. A NBA team can pay him $10 Million a year if they wanting if they draft him in the second round. That's the reason many good European players fall to the second like Pek did. If money is an issue, it makes even more sense for teams to wait until the second round to take him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes. A NBA team can pay him $10 Million a year if they wanting if they draft him in the second round. That's the reason many good European players fall to the second like Pek did. If money is an issue, it makes even more sense for teams to wait until the second round to take him.
    Yes, but (and let me know if im correct) this happens because a team cant offer more than 120% of the Rookie scale, right? Which is around $1M. If he gets more than that in Europe the team wasted their pick.
    My point is, that if he can get more than $1M in Europe (idk) he is almost a certain 2nd round pick. And in that case, the team can offer him the $10M you are talking about.

Is this how it works? Am I missing something?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are no restrictions on salary for a 2nd round player. Also, if a 1st round player has not joined the team after 3 years, he is no longer bound by rookie scale and can be signed to any contract (see: Splitter)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are no restrictions on salary for a 2nd round player. Also, if a 1st round player has not joined the team after 3 years, he is no longer bound by rookie scale and can be signed to any contract (see: Splitter)
    I know.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I meant to say, Yes you are correct... however, you cans still draft someone in the first round if you don't mind waiting 3 years. Splitter was a lottery talent who had a long contract overseas so he dropped in the draft. We still had a good team and had the fortune to be able to wait 3 years to sign him to a larger first contract. So it is not necessarily a wasted pick to draft someone in the 1st round.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, but (and let me know if im correct) this happens because a team cant offer more than 120% of the Rookie scale, right? Which is around $1M. If he gets more than that in Europe the team wasted their pick.
    My point is, that if he can get more than $1M in Europe (idk) he is almost a certain 2nd round pick. And in that case, the team can offer him the $10M you are talking about.

So you meant to say that he is probably going to be a second-rounder next year? I got the opposite from what you had posted. Yes, he's bound to the rookie scale if he's drafted in the first. But depending on how high he's drafted, it may still be more than or at least close to what you're thinking he'll get in Europe. Even if he'd still get more staying abroad, he might be willing to take a small pay cut so that he'd get a chance at big NBA money earlier. We're talking about the difference in a couple hundred thousand dollars here. That's obviously still a good bit of money, but it's not even to change an entire career over.

Could I see him staying overseas if the money is better? Yes, but if it's close, I think he'd come over unless he didn't like the team who drafted him. I doubt he'd snub the Spurs over that much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you meant to say that he is probably going to be a second-rounder next year? I got the opposite from what you had posted. Yes, he's bound to the rookie scale if he's drafted in the first. But depending on how high he's drafted, it may still be more than or at least close to what you're thinking he'll get in Europe. Even if he'd still get more staying abroad, he might be willing to take a small pay cut so that he'd get a chance at big NBA money earlier. We're talking about the difference in a couple hundred thousand dollars here. That's obviously still a good bit of money, but it's not even to change an entire career over.

Could I see him staying overseas if the money is better? Yes, but if it's close, I think he'd come over unless he didn't like the team who drafted him. I doubt he'd snub the Spurs over that much.
    I read my post again and yes...is wrong...and it wasn't a typo...
    He is probably a 2nd rounder, in fact DX had him as the 1st 2nd round pick, I think he will stay there regardless of what team picks 1st.
    From a team perspective, you cant risk picking him in the 1st, unless you LOVE the guy and pick him around the 20th pick (more money).

On the other hand...like you said, the money differential may not be much. Not everybody makes $1M in Europe, and thats 30th pick money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And yet you ask...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And yet you ask...
    I was talking about the first round scale. 120% of those salaries. Dont be like that!!
    Maybe my english is failing me...
    Thx for the help!

Thread Information