Prior to NBA / Country: St. John's / USA
    Years Pro: 13

Info

$7.7M/1 year, player option

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks, Bruno.

For a 2-3m bid, Artest would fit well as Kawhi's backup and as a smallball 4.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

After all the headaches created by Jackson, I doubt Spurs/Pop will go after another backup SF who might not be satisfied by a limited role with limited minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks, Bruno.

For a 2-3m bid, Artest would fit well as Kawhi's backup and as a smallball 4.
    I would say "No thanks!". No need to sour the chemistry with a head case like Artest. He is perfect in LA or he can join the Heat. Just not a fit for the Spurs. Is not Spurs material. Nope....

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So crazy it might work. He's always spoke highly of Pop, hasn't he?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So crazy it might work. He's always spoke highly of Pop, hasn't he?
    And Tim.

Look, I know the Spurs aren't likely to pursue a player with Ron-Ron's history, but he has a skill set that would be a great fit, IMO. A bench perimeter group of Manu, Artest, and Joseph would be tough defensively and more than competent offensively. On a one year deal for 2-3 million, I believe he would be worth the risk.
    Last edited by Mel_13; 05-02-2013 at 04:58 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And Tim.

Look, I know the Spurs aren't likely to pursue a player with Ron-Ron's history, but he has a skill set that would be a great a fit, IMO. A bench perimeter group of Manu, Artest, and Joseph would be tough defensively and more than competent offensively. On a one year deal for 2-3 million, I believe he would be worth the risk.
    Completely agree. He'd be a great fit on the team assuming we bring back virtually the same squad next season.

He's delusional of course but I don't think he suffers from the same type of delusions that Jack supposedly had that would hurt the team, if that makes any sense. He'd also bring some much needed toughness that was lost when Jackson was cut tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like World Peace. I'm not sure he'd play within his role, though. He actually has a pretty diverse skill set, but he's been trying to do too much these last few years.

I wouldn't be against picking him up and letting Bertans sit on the bench for a year, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know. After Jack's experiment I think SA might done with head-cases.

I like him as Leonard's backup for cheap but I think Pop and co will pass on MWP

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even "good" defense by MWP is so far in his rear view mirror as to be invisible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even "good" defense by MWP is so far in his rear view mirror as to be invisible.
    this is reason alone not to sign him, forget the crazies, overall he's done.
    Watching the team this year and last- I think this is pretty much the end of the road for the current roster. Rather sign someone who has an inkling of promise

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know. After Jack's experiment I think SA might done with head-cases.

I like him as Leonard's backup for cheap but I think Pop and co will pass on MWP
    This.

It also explains why the Spurs probably never had interest in Kenyon Martin and players of his ilk.

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    . I was so hoping that Artest would stay and the Lakers would be forced to amnesty Kobe to avoid the mammoth tax bill.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    MWP is much more of a team player than SJax, there's no comparison.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    MWP is much more of a team player than SJax, there's no comparison.
    Still does not make MWP any less volatile and less of head case than sjax. No point is risking another late season meltdown on a bench player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    World Peace is a little mentally unstable, but, I don't think he would go as far as complaining about playing time, not to mention, he'll get his minutes due to his defense. Regardless, having two defensive minded SF's, is a good good good thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    MWP is more useful playing as a 4 now tbh. Erratic J, a player whose age means his quickness don't match his heft, and the fact that post D is still pretty important (though post Cs aren't that common)...

If he's available for the min why not

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd do it. If he was down going in for a reduced role he'd still be effective.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd do it. If he was down going in for a reduced role he'd still be effective.
    Me too. It seems he has alot of respect for Pop an the Spurs organization. He hasn't been going crazy lately. Plus we need a real inforcer on this team. Someone who can rattles the best players cage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    MWP is more useful playing as a 4 now tbh. Erratic J, a player whose age means his quickness don't match his heft, and the fact that post D is still pretty important (though post Cs aren't that common)...

If he's available for the min why not
    He also has a pretty good post game, as he's shown on Leonard a few times. I think he could still survive as a three, but he'd really shine as as small-ball four. If he buys into the offense, he'd shoot a better percentage, as well.

Another good thing is that he actually can get his own shot. They're not always great shots, but they still get the job done. He'd help the second-unit offense, too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop and the Spurs are probably done with head cases after this last Jack incident.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL Artest trolling Laker fans with that and then still picking up the $7.7 million option. And don't want this guy at all unless Diaw walks. With Leonard, Diaw, and Green all capable of giving solid minutes at the SF, the Spurs don't need anyone there even in an extremely reduced role.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not a fan. but only for the vets minimum purely as a backup. pretty much same stance i have with elton brand

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bump.

If the Spurs wind up not going after anyone and wait to see what comes off the amnesty wire I'd be for MWP. I think the days of Crazy Ron(though he won't ever be completely right) are behind him and I think he'd be a fine choice for the backup 3/4 role that Kirilenko would have played.

Thread Information