My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    amazing rez

But srsly Im growing tired of the bland and boring UI of AOSP roms

Played with the latest Trickdroid, not bad at all; it's based on Sense 5

Sound and the camera and gallery apps destroy stock android

But it's "only" Jelly Bean 4.1.2
    And not enough tweak options compared to AOSP roms, but that's gonna change, since this version of Trickdroid is brand new.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Yeah, I would've given TW roms more time if they didn't look like

However, the S4 Google Edition AOSP actually has support for the TW framework (i.e. all TW native apps, including possibly camera). Of course, it's been already ported to non-google S4s. By the time Android 4.3 rolls out, I may have a S4 AOSP ROM with all of TW capabilities, tbh..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yup

I think it's the same with HTC Google edition

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CROFL

A few weeks ago, HTC announced they would upgrade the One S to Sense 5.0

They just announced it's not gonna happen

For sake, Samsung is still updating the S2.

HTC
    liars

Oh, and I'm running a Sense 5.0 based ROM on my One S .... eat HTC

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    CROFL

A few weeks ago, HTC announced they would upgrade the One S to Sense 5.0

They just announced it's not gonna happen

For sake, Samsung is still updating the S2.

HTC
    liars

Oh, and I'm running a Sense 5.0 based ROM on my One S .... eat HTC
    Yup, my buddy in Ottawa is super pissed. I've been saying 'Root MF'er' @ him for the past year.

He's finally giving in . Next time he's in town we're going for a beer and a root.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup, my buddy in Ottawa is super pissed. I've been saying 'Root MF'er' @ him for the past year.

He's finally giving in . Next time he's in town we're going for a beer and a root.
    yup

I recommend Trickdroid ROM

And TWRP recovery

CWM may be flawless on the One X, but trust me, flash TWRP on the S

jthelps.wordpress.com
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    amazing rez

But srsly Im growing tired of the bland and boring UI of AOSP roms

Played with the latest Trickdroid, not bad at all; it's based on Sense 5
    : sense : got :

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    : sense : got :
    yup
    its awesome

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

yup

I recommend Trickdroid ROM

And TWRP recovery

CWM may be flawless on the One X, but trust me, flash TWRP on the S
    resistanze

Did you have a root beer with your buddy?

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    resistanze

Did you have a root beer with your buddy?
    lol he hasn't been back in town, finishing his thesis tbh. Gotta call him up so he doesn't out and get cold feet

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol he hasn't been back in town, finishing his thesis tbh. Gotta call him up so he doesn't out and get cold feet

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Development is really getting going for the S4, tbh.

Which ROMs have you used/recommend? There's Beanstalk, LiquidSmooth, AOKP (pure), uXylon. I've tried CM 10.1, PAC, RootBox (current driver) and I tried Xylon on my S2.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Development is really getting going for the S4, tbh.

Which ROMs have you used/recommend? There's Beanstalk, LiquidSmooth, AOKP (pure), uXylon. I've tried CM 10.1, PAC, RootBox (current driver) and I tried Xylon on my S2.
    Viper One S

The most customizable ROM on ANY device

Sense 4+ and "only" JB 4.1.1, but I don't care, its a beast

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Viper One S

The most customizable ROM on ANY device

Sense 4+ and "only" JB 4.1.1, but I don't care, its a beast
    I had Viper for the X+, although that one had ty development (like every ROM for the device).

The newer ROMs (liquidsmooth) are starting to integrate android 4.3 / Google Edition sources into the device, giving me the best of both worlds. I'm just gonna wait for the official release of 4.3, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had Viper for the X+, although that one had ty development (like every ROM for the device).

The newer ROMs (liquidsmooth) are starting to integrate android 4.3 / Google Edition sources into the device, giving me the best of both worlds. I'm just gonna wait for the official release of 4.3, tbh
    But on the One S, Viper is more complete and stable (because the devs have been working on it longer, and also more devs like 20 of them)

I dont give a f... about 4.3 tbh and ty useless Halo

In on 4.1.1 and Im pretty happy because of all the features, battery life and performance

Im sure your friend will love AOSP roms during the first few months, I know I did, but he will eventually grow tired of them (wild guess, I know).
    Plus, Viper One S allows the user to swich to the AOSP lockscreen, mul asking and status bar

For AOSP roms, I recommend Illusion ROM (Rootbox/AOKP base)
    BUT you will have to update the One S to HBOOT 2.15 and flash a 3.4 kernel, otherwise it wont work - and that applies to any latest version of any AOSP ROM

Now, if you dont want to do all that , I recommend DeviantXone 2.1 (4.2.2) .... it has been renamed to Illusion , so you will find it in the Illusion thread ... it's good
    Last edited by lefty; 07-21-2013 at 07:50 PM.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    I'll be sure to give him the choices

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Running uXylon ROM on my S4, IR blaster works (doesn't in oother AOSP/AOKP Roms). Lightning fast, only uses 550MB of ram when idle. Just waiting for touchwiz camera to be ported over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So about a week and a half ago I finally rooted my Nexus 4. Yes I know, I have the most easily rootable phone, and am a well known advocate of rooting, why the did it take me 5 months to root my phone. The answer to that is that there hasn't really been a reason to root my phone. The nex4 is fast, the battery life is more than adequate, and I haven't had any issues. So the main reason I rooted was because Tmobile turned LTE on in San Antonio. Don't get me wrong, Tmobile's HSPA+ is plenty fast, speedwise, but the latency leaves a little to be desired. Latency is an area where LTE excels.

The best latency reading I have ever gotten with H+ was 44ms, I usually average about 250 or so. With LTE, I average about 30 ms. Speedwise, (once again, this isn't a huge deal to me) I would average 8Mbps on HSPA+ and with no bars on LTE, I average 9. In a full bar area I top out around 25. 8 is plenty for me, but more isn't worse. LOL.

Not to shabby for a supposedly not LTE ready phone.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    So about a week and a half ago I finally rooted my Nexus 4. Yes I know, I have the most easily rootable phone, and am a well known advocate of rooting, why the did it take me 5 months to root my phone. The answer to that is that there hasn't really been a reason to root my phone. The nex4 is fast, the battery life is more than adequate, and I haven't had any issues. So the main reason I rooted was because Tmobile turned LTE on in San Antonio. Don't get me wrong, Tmobile's HSPA+ is plenty fast, speedwise, but the latency leaves a little to be desired. Latency is an area where LTE excels.

The best latency reading I have ever gotten with H+ was 44ms, I usually average about 250 or so. With LTE, I average about 30 ms. Speedwise, (once again, this isn't a huge deal to me) I would average 8Mbps on HSPA+ and with no bars on LTE, I average 9. In a full bar area I top out around 25. 8 is plenty for me, but more isn't worse. LOL.

Not to shabby for a supposedly not LTE ready phone.
    Yeah, as I predicted (before I got LTE), I rarely utilize the high speeds. Some areas I'm getting 45Mbps - but what am I doing at that time which requires so much bandwidth?

Did you end up trying a custom ROM or still keeping stock?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, as I predicted (before I got LTE), I rarely utilize the high speeds. Some areas I'm getting 45Mbps - but what am I doing at that time which requires so much bandwidth?

Did you end up trying a custom ROM or still keeping stock?
    CM 10.1.2 . . . I am looking for a new job, so I don't have a ton of time to go reading 50 threads about custom roms to find out what they do and don't do (Ironically I am spending less time doing stupid internet now that I am unemployed). I just went with the name you can trust.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    CM 10.1.2 . . . I am looking for a new job, so I don't have a ton of time to go reading 50 threads about custom roms to find out what they do and don't do (Ironically I am spending less time doing stupid internet now that I am unemployed). I just went with the name you can trust.
    That's what I did for the first 2 months of owning this phone, tbh.

I'm running this one:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2354170

It's pretty awesome. And hang in there , I remember becoming less and less motivated over the 2 months I was unemployed (before my current job). Keep at it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't noticed any big things, just many minor things that CM does. I love the fact that if you swipe down from the right side, it is your quick tiles, and swipe from the left side, its your notifications. Also, a bug in stock that they seemed to fix is that when playing youtube on wifi, it stuttered like a mother er to the point that I would turn off my wifi and just run over mobile. Now, youtube is smooth as butter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So about a week and a half ago I finally rooted my Nexus 4. Yes I know, I have the most easily rootable phone, and am a well known advocate of rooting, why the did it take me 5 months to root my phone. The answer to that is that there hasn't really been a reason to root my phone. The nex4 is fast, the battery life is more than adequate, and I haven't had any issues.
    As long as you unlocked your bootloader when you first got the phone, rooting a Nexus device is painless.

If you waited 5 months before unlocking? Welp, there goes all your user data. Happened to me before with my Galaxy Nexus, and Helium Backup wasn't a thing then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As long as you unlocked your bootloader when you first got the phone, rooting a Nexus device is painless.

If you waited 5 months before unlocking? Welp, there goes all your user data. Happened to me before with my Galaxy Nexus, and Helium Backup wasn't a thing then.
    Yep, big ups for helium.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    However, you could have used adb to extract your app data before helium

Thread Information