Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    It's alive! Right before I was ready to ship to mobilevideo for JTAG, I was able to get my Note to boot to the firmware update problem screen. Odin read it and I loaded a stock JB back onto it and it actually worked.

Re-rooted and running PAC 4.3 now.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's alive! Right before I was ready to ship to mobilevideo for JTAG, I was able to get my Note to boot to the firmware update problem screen. Odin read it and I loaded a stock JB back onto it and it actually worked.

Re-rooted and running PAC 4.3 now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still happy with Viper One S rom TBH

I dont miss AOSP roms for the time being

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Particular reason for unrooting? I had to do it a few weeks ago cuz I had to return my phone to Samsung. If you're doing the same thing, there's a few things you'll need to do on top of unrooting if you want to retain your warranty.
    Yup, in the same boat. Is there any site with a step by step for this? Like I said, I'd still like to retain my texts/contacts. Not that worried about apps and stuff.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup, in the same boat. Is there any site with a step by step for this? Like I said, I'd still like to retain my texts/contacts. Not that worried about apps and stuff.
    what went wrong w/it? And just curious if you can take it into the Samsung stores at best buy for convenience. Not that I would trust BB to set up a mail-in correctly, but I deal with smartphone repairs constantly at work and just curious about Samsung's options/process.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Texts can be backed up with the app 'SMS Backup and Restore' and you can email the backup file to yourself (or upload to Google Drive/Dropbox). Contacts should be all synced to your Google account so it shouldn't require anything more.

I can't find what guide I looked at right now but I'll give you a short summary in the mean time:

1) If you backed up (nandroid) your original ROM in CWM/TWRP, restore it. Otherwise you'll have to fiind and flash your original firmware from your carrier (using Odin).
    2) Find your original stock recovery on XDA and flash it with Odin.
    3) Download TriangleAway from Chainfire to wipe the flash counter.
    4) Unroot. I found this annoying to do with Superuser, so if you have this root, I'd go to the PLay Store and download 'SuperSU' instead. It will replace superuser and you can unroot from withing SuperSU app.
    5) Remove remnant root files in your system directory. Particularly delete 'busybox' and 'su' if they are found in /system/xbin.
    **Note, I think I actually did step 5 before step 4, because you lose root access to this directory if you do 4) first.

Check About/status (or go into download mode) and see if your phone status says OFFICIAL (as opposed to CUSTOM)

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    what went wrong w/it? And just curious if you can take it into the Samsung stores at best buy for convenience. Not that I would trust BB to set up a mail-in correctly, but I deal with smartphone repairs constantly at work and just curious about Samsung's options/process.
    I know in Canada they started opening up Samsung Service stores (Pretty sure the repair is subcontracted). There's only like 3-4 in the country though, although one is 25 min from where I live. But contrary to what I heard before, they don't repair it the same-day, so might as well ship it if it's not in my way home.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know in Canada they started opening up Samsung Service stores (Pretty sure the repair is subcontracted). There's only like 3-4 in the country though, although one is 25 min from where I live. But contrary to what I heard before, they don't repair it the same-day, so might as well ship it if it's not in my way home.
    Do they have an advanced replacement option and just put a hold on a card to make sure you return the original? The hold usually blows (retail value of phone) but having an express option can be nice. Sorry for all the questions but I am just curious how other ppl do it.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Do they have an advanced replacement option and just put a hold on a card to make sure you return the original? The hold usually blows (retail value of phone) but having an express option can be nice. Sorry for all the questions but I am just curious how other ppl do it.
    Samsung does it pretty terribly. I was talking to a Mexican dudes from Compton whenever I called. They didn't send a loaner phone or anything to me, but claimed I could go to my phone provider with my reference # and they'd provide me with a loaner. I never did try that option, tbh, as I got my phone from my cousin off a different carrier (it's unlocked to another now). So I basically had no phone for a week while it was fixed at the service center in my city.

I'll describe my problem:
    - phone would not charge on AC, but only through USB. Rooted S4 running RootBox.
    - called Samsung, gave me a case# and was told I can drop it off at centre. Called repairs and they said they don't fix it on the spot.
    - called Samsung, emailed me a UPS waybill. Shipped it to centre
    - No updates on service website, called repairs daily. 'Fixed' it after a week, by only doing a factory reset (I did multiple times before)
    - got phone back, problem appeared still there. Called Samsung and they insisted it was the AC charger I owned. I said it wasn't since AC charged other phones (and vice versa).
    - they said they'd send me a new charger, I said whatever sure. Next day, phone start charging again with original AC and haven't had an issue since (weird as )
    - called Samsung 2 weeks later 'where's my free AC charger MFas?" I need to scan my reciept to get it (but not to get it repaired apparently). charger comes the next day by UPS from Compton

It might be a different experience in the US, but that's what happened to me. I've heard that had gone to my carrier to get a loaner phone, you'd be credit charged between $50-125 for a loaner, which isn't too bad. Of course, it'll be a crappy ass phone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    damn, that sounds ty as , sorry to hear that. as many complaints as I have about my company they seem to have things down pat in comparison Surprised I don't see any complaints about that on any of the tech sites, seems like a glaring oversight on Samsung's part. Thanks for the answer!

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    #1 reason why I never want to root is because of the warranty. They can void it for the littlest modification that was not intended to or was not designed by them for the end user. , even if you didn't root they'll still look for a reason to void your warranty.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    #1 reason why I never want to root is because of the warranty. They can void it for the littlest modification that was not intended to or was not designed by them for the end user. , even if you didn't root they'll still look for a reason to void your warranty.
    You are not a man

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    I'll take my chances Venti. I've rooted/jailbroken my past 5 phones (iPhone, iPhone 3GS, S2, One X+, S4) and this is the first time I've ever had to send a phone for repair in 6 years. Even then, you can restore it to stock.

Anyways, my parents dropped one of their tablets (ASUS Transformer Pad) and even the touchscreen wasn't working. I had originally unlocked the bootloader, rooted, and installed RootBox for them when they first got it earlier this year. I told them to just send it to ASUS and see what happens - at worst they pay for screen repairs.

Apparently ASUS replaced the screen and sent it back to them (re-flashed w/ stock firmware but still unlocked) for no fee, 2 day turnaround with UPS. Hilarious.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I brought rooted phones to Sprint all the time. They didn't care.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, the warranty isn't through them technically.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Carriers don't seem to care for sure - I replaced my rooted and BL unlocked one X+ with the first month because the speakers sounded scratchy.

Manufacturers seem to be a mixed bag, like Samsung for sure checks to see if your phone has ever been flashed, even if it's stock when you return it.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    mine did, ing assholes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    mine did, ing assholes
    you agreed to it when you bought it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Picked up an s3 yesterday for cheap. Adding CM as we speak. GOODBYE PHOTON.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Finally you take my two year old advice!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A real man!!!!

Now let's beat the out of Venti

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Finally you take my two year old advice!
    LOL

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hope it's an LTE S3.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you agreed to it when you bought it
    I just took it to a different store who didn't know their

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hope it's an LTE S3.
    What else would it be?