Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That's lake Bled. A small alpine lake in the North west of Slovenia (the church in the foreground is actually on a small island, it has a bell you can ring and make a wish, it is supposed to be very effective in matters of the heart). A few miles further there's also lake Bohinj that many consider even prettier although not so photogenic.

As for the Marcus' question I honestly do not know. Basketball is very popular in Slovenia and there's a lot of "open" courts all over the place where you will see young people playing "street" basketball all day long. Tradition is also important since Basketball was a very popular sport in our former country - to this day people speak about Yugoslavia's win over the Soviet Union for the world championship le. Another reason is also that the Yugoslav school of coaching is one of the best and has dominated european basketballs for many years.
    In all fairness - I hope other Slovenian posters here can prove me wrong - NBA knowledge is not very good. People that know about what is going on in the NBA are usually part of a fanatical minority - the general public knows very little about it (beside the usual populistic crap that medias are serving all over the world).

I'm sure all of the above are contributing factors, but it is true also for many other countries - so it might be the water

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uros Slokar is playing very well in the Summer Pro League.

vs. mavs 9 points (2-2 FG, 5-5 FT), 4 rebounds in 18 minutes
    vs. heat 20 points (7-10 FG, 6-8 FT), 9 rebounds in 30 minutes
    vs. grizzlies 8 points (3-7 FG, 2-4 FT), 6 rebounds in 22 min
    vs. lakers 20 points (6-9 FG, 1-1 3pts, 7-11 FT), 10 rebounds in 34 min

averages:
    14,25 ppg
    64,3% FG
    100% 3FG
    71,4% FT
    7,25 RPG

I like boobs a lot! Slo spurs fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uros Slokar is playing very well in the Summer Pro League.

vs. mavs 9 points (2-2 FG, 5-5 FT), 4 rebounds in 18 minutes
    vs. heat 20 points (7-10 FG, 6-8 FT), 9 rebounds in 30 minutes
    vs. grizzlies 8 points (3-7 FG, 2-4 FT), 6 rebounds in 22 min
    vs. lakers 20 points (6-9 FG, 1-1 3pts, 7-11 FT), 10 rebounds in 34 min

averages:
    14,25 ppg
    64,3% FG
    100% 3FG
    71,4% FT
    7,25 RPG

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Slomo! I am definitely want to visit that church when I save enough to go to Slovenia--- maybe next summer! = )

Give Peace a Chance....Imagine? ZStomp's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Slomo! I am definitely want to visit that church when I save enough to go to Slovenia--- maybe next summer! = )

Darn...u up early Angel

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had a nightmare... and am housesitting. I didn't feel like being alone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had a nightmare... and am housesitting. I didn't feel like being alone.

I'm on my way! I'm working so it's not out of my way..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    = ) No need! You guys have already made me feel better. = )

Over Medium
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    polandprzem is ur name przemislav?.. cause ive got a polish friend whos called like that--

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okay, good night guys. I am off to dream about beautiful Slovenian Islands. = )

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Angel, next time you are at our house, check out the book and the DVD that Slomo gave us of Slovenia. You'll see that it's very beautiful.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    = ) No need! You guys have already made me feel better. = )

Darn!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good try, ZStomp.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haha...it was for my roommate!

Mr. Mundt
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A master race with Amazon-like women who give birth to superhuman offspring?
    There you go.

In seriousness, it's probably simply due to good organization in the last 10, 15 years, specially in youth compe ions. Also of note is the fact that a large chunk of the best players are not really ethnically Slovenian but either Serbian or Croatian, it's certainly disproportionate to the rest of rest of the population, what that tells you i don't really know. Certainly doesn't point out to any genetic superiority of the Slovenian basketball culture.

BTW, i thought Montenegrians (it's not Montenegros is it?) were the tallest people on Earth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There you go.

In seriousness, it's probably simply due to good organization in the last 10, 15 years, specially in youth compe ions. Also of note is the fact that a large chunk of the best players are not really ethnically Slovenian but either Serbian or Croatian, it's certainly disproportionate to the rest of rest of the population, what that tells you i don't really know. Certainly doesn't point out to any genetic superiority of the Slovenian basketball culture.

BTW, i thought Montenegrians (it's not Montenegros is it?) were the tallest people on Earth.
    Although I disagree with you on the ethnic origin of our players (it's not a majority), it is true that if you look at the numbers of players out of the ex-YU, then the dominance among foreign players in the NBA is very obvious. The organization and popularity of basketball in Yugoslavia are probably the best explanation (Slovenia being one of the benificiary of that organization).

And no, I don't think it's genetic (as I said before - must be the water )

I don't know about the Montenegrians(?) but I've never seen so many tall men as in Holland.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've never met a Slovenian shorter than 6'2.

Mr. Mundt
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Although I disagree with you on the ethnic origin of our players (it's not a majority), it is true that if you look at the numbers of players out of the ex-YU, then the dominance among foreign players in the NBA is very obvious. The organization and popularity of basketball in Yugoslavia are probably the best explanation (Slovenia being one of the benificiary of that organization).
    It's not a majority, but if you can imagine a percentage of them, and the percentage of the same ethnic groups in the general population, i think it's fair to say it's a lot larger. The origins of this or what it says though, i have no idea, just thought it was interesting.

With all the talk about having a Team USA vs. Rest of the World game in the all-star weekend, maybe there should be a 4 team tournament with Team USA, Ex-Yugoslavia, Argentina and Rest of the World.

Multimedia Spurs
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Dutch are tall, and there are plenty of tall people in Germany and Scandinavia, essentially the same genetic pool.

I think the reason the USA has fallen behind in average height is the influx of millions of Central/South Americans and East Asians, an influx that wil continue. The Americans of northern European ancestry aren't getting shorter, but "American" is less and less European/African and more and more shorties from C./S.America and Asian.

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    polandprzem is ur name przemislav?.. cause ive got a polish friend whos called like that--
    Yes my name is Przemyslaw.

Any other questions? PM me cause My 'vacation' will start in an hour and I won't be here about 3 weeks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Angel, next time you are at our house, check out the book and the DVD that Slomo gave us of Slovenia. You'll see that it's very beautiful.

That would be awesome! So far the only thing I don't like about Slovenia is their brandy! LOL.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not a majority, but if you can imagine a percentage of them, and the percentage of the same ethnic groups in the general population, i think it's fair to say it's a lot larger. The origins of this or what it says though, i have no idea, just thought it was interesting.

With all the talk about having a Team USA vs. Rest of the World game in the all-star weekend, maybe there should be a 4 team tournament with Team USA, Ex-Yugoslavia, Argentina and Rest of the World.
    That would be much more interesting than the current format - but also more dangerous injury wise, you can bet that it wouldn't be just a show, but some players/teams would take it very seriously.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Being that my heritage is based in eastern Europe in Slovenia and the surrounding countries I can tell you that it's because we're simply better than the rest of you.

Stronger, faster, bigger, smarter. No matter how you slice it we are superior in every conceivable way.

Thank you very much.

See you when it burns SWC Bonfire's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stronger, faster, bigger, smarter.
    Yeah, but I cost a lot less than Six Million Dollars.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Slo-ven-i-a. Slo-ven-i-a. It borders on the Ad-ri-atic.*

I want to believe.

-MB

*Bonus points to whoever first gets that reference.

I'll take a stab at it. It borders on the Adriatic Sea.
    You've adapted the common phrase "It borders on the idiotic."
    Ok, what do I win???

P.S. I've passed 50 posts!
    Last edited by Spurzilla; 07-12-2005 at 03:40 PM. Reason: I realized I've passed 50 posts!

Thread Information