Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The PC market in the past year or two has become a flourishing area for indie les. Faster than Light, Terraria, Binding of Isaac, Chivalry, Bastion, Braid, and others have really made marks. Some of those are for consoles as well, but I think you'd really be pleasantly surprised at the creativity happening via Steam and various bundle sales.
    Yeah this new generation of consoles are seeminly focusing more on indie games which is great.

I'll be buying less retail games and more indie games. I've found they're more soulful if you will.

They sure are small but they pack a punch.

I'll probably buy the occasional must have games but other than that I'm just going to take a backseat when it comes to just buying any crap that comes out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah this new generation of consoles are seeminly focusing more on indie games which is great.

I'll be buying less retail games and more indie games. I've found they're more soulful if you will.

They sure are small but they pack a punch.

I'll probably buy the occasional must have games but other than that I'm just going to take a backseat when it comes to just buying any crap that comes out.
    I think it's a little early to say that for sure, but it does seem to be trending that way. I'd like to hope it's a reaction to all the bull Call of Duty games and the like that get pumped out year after year. I'm a huge Battlefield fan, and I had no plans to buy BF4 until a friend who works for EA gave me a hook up ($10).

If the consoles open their market to help advertise/embrace games that don't have a $100,000,000 budget, everyone will benefit, and it might even make the PS4 worth owning to me. As of now though, I'm pretty skeptical.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's a little early to say that for sure, but it does seem to be trending that way. I'd like to hope it's a reaction to all the bull Call of Duty games and the like that get pumped out year after year. I'm a huge Battlefield fan, and I had no plans to buy BF4 until a friend who works for EA gave me a hook up ($10).

If the consoles open their market to help advertise/embrace games that don't have a $100,000,000 budget, everyone will benefit, and it might even make the PS4 worth owning to me. As of now though, I'm pretty skeptical.
    Sony made it a point in their conference back in february that they would be pushing for indie developers and give them free range on the console. They're even letting them self pusblish their own games on the console.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/...s4-development

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sony made it a point in their conference back in february that they would be pushing for indie developers and give them free range on the console. They're even letting them self pusblish their own games on the console.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/...s4-development
    Again, that's a far cry from actively promoting indie development like Steam and the humble bundles have become famous for. If those indie les don't get the promotional boost, they're going to be hard to find and could easily get lost in a sea of horrible half-finished or pay to win les.

The fact that a company "allowing indie les" on their console without a ton of restrictions is seen as progress shows how low the floor is, and how slanted in favor of the ultra huge publishers gaming is today.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, that's a far cry from actively promoting indie development like Steam and the humble bundles have become famous for. If those indie les don't get the promotional boost, they're going to be hard to find and could easily get lost in a sea of horrible half-finished or pay to win les.

The fact that a company "allowing indie les" on their console without a ton of restrictions is seen as progress shows how low the floor is, and how slanted in favor of the ultra huge publishers gaming is today.
    Yup, the main reason my post sounded the way it did was listening to Cliffy B on JRE last week and the hoops he is having to jump thought to start a new studio on his terms. Also, reading Carmack's regrets on what happened to iD and game development in general had me a bit down. There are obviously great things out there on steam, etc but the main thrust is all big blowout les.

Banned
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    just picked up a ps4. couldnt wait

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just picked up a ps4. couldnt wait
    The ? After your barrage of banderas I figured you to be one of those gots camped out at Best Buy for launch son.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here are Valve's conso... I mean "Steam Machines" specs and prices.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/06/v...=rss_truncated

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here are Valve's conso... I mean "Steam Machines" specs and prices.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/06/v...=rss_truncated
    Wonder if you could compile a standard Linux kernel to be able to make a Linux desktop usable as a Steam Machine also.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wonder if you could compile a standard Linux kernel to be able to make a Linux desktop usable as a Steam Machine also.
    Install SteamOS and it's a Steam Machine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Install SteamOS and it's a Steam Machine.
    Don't want to install SteamOS. If I can install the libraries to my Linux installation I would definitely go that route.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't want to install SteamOS. If I can add the libraries to my Linux installation I would definitely go that route.
    This whole Steam Machine term is ing stupid anyway. It's a ing PC with the Steam logo on it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This whole Steam Machine term is ing stupid anyway. It's a ing PC with the Steam logo on it.
    I like that it uses the Linux kernel instead of Windows. I'd love to build a gaming PC with no need for Redmond's garbage on it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like that it uses the Linux kernel instead of Windows. I'd love to build a gaming PC with no need for Redmond's garbage on it.
    Right. Supposedly gonna free resources to boost frames.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it's a *turn on and play* system I think it could be awesome. It'll blow away consoles in raw power, for starters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It'll blow away consoles in raw power, for starters.
    Well, that's not saying much. As for turn on and play, I'm pretty sure that's the goal. The internet browsing will probably be done in the same manner as Big Picture Mode.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've had my PS4 for like two weeks but it seems like so much longer because I hardly play it. Only games I have for it are COD Ghosts and Assassin's Creed IV. While both look great on the new console, you can tell that the fact they had to be co-developed for last gen consoles really held them back. I'll be highly interested in the crop of games that begin coming out once the developers abandon multi-generational releases so we can see what these machines are really capable of.

That said, this will probably be the last console generation I support. It might be hard to break up with Sony because I've been a loyal customer of their platform since the original PlayStation, but I'm probably joining the PC master race sometime in the near future when my computer breaks down. I've been running the same machine since like 2007 and it isn't good enough to run games but damned if it wasn't a great investment. Six years for a PC is pretty good, I think I upgraded the memory and installed a DVD-RW drive and that's about all I've modded on it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you can tell that the fact they had to be co-developed for last gen consoles really held them back. I'll be highly interested in the crop of games that begin coming out once the developers abandon multi-generational releases so we can see what these machines are really capable of.

That said, this will probably be the last console generation I support. It might be hard to break up with Sony because I've been a loyal customer of their platform since the original PlayStation, but I'm probably joining the PC master race sometime in the near future when my computer breaks down. I've been running the same machine since like 2007 and it isn't good enough to run games but damned if it wasn't a great investment. Six years for a PC is pretty good, I think I upgraded the memory and installed a DVD-RW drive and that's about all I've modded on it.
    You should throw a 7850 (assuming your power supply has enough watts) into that PC, you should be able to play whatever you want at decent settings.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm getting one later today or Monday.

Like J.T. this will definitely be the last generation of consoles I'm going to be getting. I love Sony, always have and always will.

But unlike you I'm just going to let go of gaming in general. I barely play games as is so I just think I could be saving a few bucks by abstaining from such evilness.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Got it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm getting one later today or Monday.

Like J.T. this will definitely be the last generation of consoles I'm going to be getting. I love Sony, always have and always will.

But unlike you I'm just going to let go of gaming in general. I barely play games as is so I just think I could be saving a few bucks by abstaining from such evilness.
    I've had my PS4 for like two weeks but it seems like so much longer because I hardly play it. Only games I have for it are COD Ghosts and Assassin's Creed IV. While both look great on the new console, you can tell that the fact they had to be co-developed for last gen consoles really held them back. I'll be highly interested in the crop of games that begin coming out once the developers abandon multi-generational releases so we can see what these machines are really capable of.

Guys like you always comeback

Banned
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll never quit playing video games. I've turned down a couple relationships because I was upfront about the fact that I won't be told I can only play my games x amount of time per day. This has happened to some of my friends...first they'll say they can only play for two hours, then they can only play one game on weekdays and few hours on Saturday. Then they only log in once every couple of months and the next thing you know, you get a wedding invitation in the mail.

Marriage is not a financially or socially responsible thing for a man to do anymore. It's basically like you're giving up half of your assets to not have to search for sex for however long it takes you to get divorced.

I'm just saying, I don't feel like this gen is a huge step above the next one. The visual definition is greater and a lot of games are being developed for cross generation so I feel like that's holding back these games. Whenever it comes time for a PlayStation 5, I don't see how it would be more beneficial to buy a $500ish console over building a machine that can do the same things.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I use these consoles as a media center nowadays.

When the PS3 first came out I was really into gaming them but towards the end cycle of the system I just kind of lost a little bit of interest in playing games.

Suspect
    would tell you all I do is watch Netflix on that thing.

I'm sort of a loyalist when it comes to electronics, I buy alot of useless stuff that I dont need.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll never quit playing video games. I've turned down a couple relationships because I was upfront about the fact that I won't be told I can only play my games x amount of time per day.

Thread Information