View Poll Results: What big man would you like to see in a Spurs jersey?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Al Jefferson

19 23.46%
  • David West

22 27.16%
  • Emeka Okafor

6 7.41%
  • Nikola Pekovic

18 22.22%
  • Other

16 19.75%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As we all know, the second biggest problem that the Spurs need to address is finding another big man to help Tim Duncan relieve some of some of the pressure on the inside. I'm taking a look at all the free agents so I'm picking the top C/PF that I think are available. If you don't like the choices or you have something else in mind, then please explain in the comments and give us your take.

I am a big stats guy so my personal choices in order of PER (Player Efficiency Rating) are Al Jefferson, Nikola Pekovic, David West, and Emeka Okafor. Of course most us prefer Dwight Howard but I didn't include him because the chances of acquiring him are slim.

http://www.nba.com/freeagents/2013/
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics

Manu Ginobili's bald spot chapnis's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure why Tiggaglio Splittato isn't on there?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like West, has some pretty good shots and played great against the cheats

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like West, has some pretty good shots and played great against the cheats
    He's a little too old for my tastes to add to an already old team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pekovic doesn't fit that great with the team, but I'd love to have him just to see him beat the out of every other center in the league.

Manu Ginobili's bald spot chapnis's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pekovic doesn't fit that great with the team, but I'd love to have him just to see him beat the out of every other center in the league.
    Man I'd love to see him and Baynes go at it.

Soft Like Twinkie Filling Juggity's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, finding a big man doesn't seem like the biggest priority right now. Spurs fans waited a long time to finally get the second big we always wanted — Tiago Splitter. love him or hate him, he's the best "other" big we've had since Oberto. The Spurs paint defense with him and Timmy on the floor together is miles better than any other tandem. Fact is, there aren't many options out there that are both financially viable and realistic from a player desire standpoint. Not to mention the fact that Baynes is also backing him up now and will start to see big minutes next season. Besides, there's no reason to trade away Tiago and depth for a marginally better PF/C.

Finding a backup SF or SG seems much more pressing. Right now, Leonard is the only true SF on the team. Blair with his weight loss and jumpshooting is starting to look more like an SF, but at heart, he's still a post-up banger and 14th man on the bench. He's probably gone this offseason anyhow. Green at SF is usually disastrous, but getting to be less so as time progresses. Since SF is the premier position in the NBA, it seems pretty crucial to look for a legitimate option there to back up Kawhi (T-Mac doesn't count as legit. He's a novelty playoff token who failed to score a single point in any appearance).

At SG, Gary Neal seems to have declined a bit over the last season or so. We can hope it was the foot injury (plantar fasciitis?), and that that will solve itself in the offseason. But there's no guarantee he'll ever return to a form where he can be consistently valuable. He hit some big shots in the finals, and I still want the ball in his hands for the last shot, but I don't know if I'd want to count him too much going forward. In some ways, Neal is a relic of the Richard Jefferson era of all-offense-no-defense ball, and that could be dangerous for a team transitioning away from that style. He may be gone this offseason too.
    Last edited by Juggity; 06-23-2013 at 03:39 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Greg Monroe of Detroit is not available
    like that player he is a good passer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    earl clark?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "This is my group. These are my guys. You know, I can't see myself going anywhere else." -David West, when asked if he'll be returning to Indiana

Move on from that idea.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "This is my group. These are my guys. You know, I can't see myself going anywhere else." -David West, when asked if he'll be returning to Indiana

Move on from that idea.
    Sure...and I like it! Hope Splitter is of the same kind of material.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, finding a big man doesn't seem like the biggest priority right now. Spurs fans waited a long time to finally get the second big we always wanted — Tiago Splitter. love him or hate him, he's the best "other" big we've had since Oberto. The Spurs paint defense with him and Timmy on the floor together is miles better than any other tandem. Fact is, there aren't many options out there that are both financially viable and realistic from a player desire standpoint. Not to mention the fact that Baynes is also backing him up now and will start to see big minutes next season. Besides, there's no reason to trade away Tiago and depth for a marginally better PF/C.
    I agree Spurs fans are way too critical on Splitter. With him out of the lineup the Heat had a much easier time scoring. The Spurs don't need more scoring. They need better defense and more ball movement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brandan Wright via free agency: he's unrestricted.
    Ersan Ilyasova via trade: Milwaukee has been rumored numerous times to be open to offers for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, I want Jefferson, he speaks highly of the Spurs and respects us. I believe he is 28 years old, almost 29? West is good, but a little old, and has on and off issues in his back. When healthy he is good, but I want a true C/PF and I feel Jefferson brings that along with his size and athleticism. He is a true post up big, and a good rebounder. He is exactly what we need IMO. He will be that much better if he is coached by the Spurs and is next to Duncan. I offer him 15 mil a year, and use what we have left to get some other need components. Bye, bye Tiago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DWIGHT HOWARD!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man I'd love to see him and Baynes go at it.
    I saw it..and have pictures...was right after baynes joined the team..Aron held his own. He is my answer. I'd like to see aron in a spurs uniform, not suit and tie!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Finding a backup SF or SG seems much more pressing. Right now, Leonard is the only true SF on the team. Blair with his weight loss and jumpshooting is starting to look more like an SF, but at heart, he's still a post-up banger and 14th man on the bench. He's probably gone this offseason anyhow. Green at SF is usually disastrous, but getting to be less so as time progresses. Since SF is the premier position in the NBA, it seems pretty crucial to look for a legitimate option there to back up Kawhi (T-Mac doesn't count as legit. He's a novelty playoff token who failed to score a single point in any appearance).

At SG, Gary Neal seems to have declined a bit over the last season or so. We can hope it was the foot injury (plantar fasciitis?), and that that will solve itself in the offseason. But there's no guarantee he'll ever return to a form where he can be consistently valuable. He hit some big shots in the finals, and I still want the ball in his hands for the last shot, but I don't know if I'd want to count him too much going forward. In some ways, Neal is a relic of the Richard Jefferson era of all-offense-no-defense ball, and that could be dangerous for a team transitioning away from that style. He may be gone this offseason too.
    We need to beat the Heat and Splitter was ineffective against them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Al Jefferson is the best and most realistic option for our needs at this point. David West would be very, very good too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KG or Dwight

Soft Like Twinkie Filling Juggity's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need to beat the Heat and Splitter was ineffective against them.
    Getting to the finals again is no cakewalk. Spurs fans of all people should know that. The west isn't going to simply disappear.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    David flippin' West?

Sigh....

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure why Tiggaglio Splittato isn't on there?
    Because he's a worthless, heartless, non athletic piece of , who hurt his team!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree Spurs fans are way too critical on Splitter. With him out of the lineup the Heat had a much easier time scoring. The Spurs don't need more scoring. They need better defense and more ball movement.
    I could live with Splitter's numerous short comings...... If he wasn't such a pussy on the glass.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pekovic is a below average defensive player, Al Jefferson is a horrible defensive player, and Okafor is a below average overall player, tbh..I don't think defense is a problem with this team anyways, but I'm just pointing that out, tbh..

David West would be perfect, but there's virtually no chance of him joining the Spurs..

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pekovic is a below average defensive player, Al Jefferson is a horrible defensive player, and Okafor is a below average overall player, tbh..I don't think defense is a problem with this team anyways, but I'm just pointing that out, tbh..

David West would be perfect, but there's virtually no chance of him joining the Spurs..
    All depends on whether Timmy can keep up the rebounding and rim protection. If so, then the Spurs can afford to pick up a guy like Al Jefferson despite his defensive deficiencies. The man averaged more than a block per game so he's not a complete stud. If the Spurs can pick up Al Jefferson, then Timmy can focus more on playing defense much like David Robinson did in his final years. What part of Duncan's game is likely to go away faster? His post game or his defense?

Thread Information