Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WaPo propped itself up on Snowden and won a Pulitzer Prize.

Now, its op-ed page says he should be jailed:

Remember that, while many people falsely think that Snowden is the one who revealed these programs to the public, that's not the case. He gave the do ents to certain journalists, saying that he trusted them to sort through them and determine what was newsworthy, what was not, and what should be kept secret. It was the Washington Post that determined the PRISM program -- which is still subject to legal challenges (though so far has been found to be legal) -- was serious enough for news coverage. Not Ed Snowden. And yet now the Post says Snowden should be prosecuted for the journalistic decision it made, which earned it a Pulitzer.

Yes, the Post editorial board is free to make such a stupid decision, but it's only going to harm its journalistic staff. What source is going to go to the Washington Post now, when it's the very paper that took all the glory from publishing stories from a source -- and then called for him to be thrown in jail?
    https://www.techdirt.com/blog/?start=10

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's what the Washington Post's Executive Editor Marty Baron said about the Pulitzer Prize when it was announced:

Post Executive Editor Martin Baron said Monday that the reporting exposed a national policy “with profound implications for American citizens’ cons utional rights” and the rights of individuals around the world.

“Disclosing the massive expansion of the NSA’s surveillance network absolutely was a public service,” Baron said. “In constructing a surveillance system of breathtaking scope and intrusiveness, our government also sharply eroded individual privacy. All of this was done in secret, without public debate, and with clear weaknesses in oversight.”

Baron added that without Snowden’s disclosures, “we never would have known how far this country had shifted away from the rights of the individual in favor of state power. There would have been no public debate about the proper balance between privacy and national security. As even the president has acknowledged, this is a conversation we need to have.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    House report on Snowden, skewered for lies and inaccuracies:

https://tcf.org/content/commentary/h...nowden-report/

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Many individuals and ins utions willing to make money or gain fame off of sensitive information with absolutely no thought about the bigger picture. And even edit said information for their own means.

We have many illustrations of how this "hacked" and or leaked information can lead to very enlightening yet disturbing outcomes. And possibly even influence our own presidential elections...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    House report on Snowden, skewered for lies and inaccuracies:

https://tcf.org/content/commentary/h...nowden-report/
    well, duh, of course the Repug House, that font of fantastic governance, accomplishments, and veracity, would screw anybody who wasn't 1000% "My Country, Right or Wrong"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WaPo propped itself up on Snowden and won a Pulitzer Prize.

Now, its op-ed page says he should be jailed:

https://www.techdirt.com/blog/?start=10
    Good point.

Now ask yourself what changed from then to now.

*hint*

Who now owns Amazon and the Washington Post?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jeff Bezos.

How does that explain WaPo's editorial stance?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Snowden's 'Proper Channel' For Whistleblowing Being Booted From The NSA For Retaliating Against A Whistleblower

NSA oversight and whistleblowing through proper channels: both pretty much worthless.

Members of the intelligence community and members of its supposed oversight have said the same thing repeatedly over the past few years: oh, we'd love to cut Edward Snowden a break, but he should have taken his complaints up the ladder, rather than outside the country.

As if that would have resulted in anything other than Snowden being cut loose from his job and his security clearance stripped. The NSA's Inspector General -- supposedly part of the agency's oversight -- was even more harsh in his assessment of Snowden's actions.

During a day-long conference at the Georgetown University Law Center, Dr. George Ellard, the inspector general for the National Security Agency, spoke for the first time about the disclosures made by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden.

In addressing the alleged damage caused by Snowden’s disclosures he compared Snowden to Robert Hanssen, a former FBI agent and convicted spy who sold secrets to the Russians.
    [...]
    “Snowden, in contrast, was manic in his thievery, which was exponentially larger than Hanssen’s. Hanssen’s theft was in a sense finite whereas Snowden is open-ended, as his agents decide daily which do ents to disclose. Snowden had no background in intelligence and is likely unaware of the significance of the do ents he stole,” Ellard suggested.

These are the words of the "proper channel." Ellard went on to state that had Snowden approached him with his concerns he would have pointed to the series of judicial rubber stamps that backed up the government's post-9/11 national security assertions as they approved more and more bulk surveillance.

That Inspector General -- the official channels, the oversight -- is now (mostly) on his way out of the agency for actions undertaken in direct conflict with his position, as reported by the Project for Government Oversight.

[L]ast May, after eight months of inquiry and deliberation, a high-level Intelligence Community panel found that

Ellard himself had previously retaliated against an NSA whistleblower,

sources tell the Project On Government Oversight.

Informed of that finding,

NSA’s Director, Admiral Michael Rogers, promptly issued Ellard a notice of proposed termination,

although Ellard apparently remains an agency employee while on administrative leave, pending a possible response to his appeal from Secretary of Defense Ash Carter.

"Bring your complaints through the proper channels," said the proper channel, all the while making sure whistleblowers regret blowing the whistle.

Ellard still has an appeal left to reclaim his position as a dead end for whistleblowers, but it seems unlikely the agency will be interested in welcoming a liability back into the fold. Ellard didn't just violate standard government policies on workplace retaliation but a fairly-recent presidential directive as well.

[The decision] was reached by following new whistleblower protections set forth by President Obama in an executive order, Presidential Policy Directive 19.

President Obama issued this in 2012, and it was put into force the next year, a few months before Snowden began dumping do ents. The new directive created better protections but would have done nothing to aid Snowden in taking his complaints to the proper channels because he was only a government contractor, not an actual government employee.

It's somewhat of a surprise that Ellard managed to get caught in this loosely-protective framework, suggesting whatever he did was fairly egregious.

Officials of his stature rarely see retaliation claims against them substantiated. But that's exactly what happened here.

Following PPD-19 procedures, a first-ever External Review Panel (ERP) composed of three of the most experienced watchdogs in the US government was convened to examine the issue. The trio -- IG’s of the Justice Department, Treasury, and CIA – overturned an earlier finding of the Department of Defense IG, which investigated Ellard but was unable to substantiate his alleged retaliation.

Also receiving a bit more substantiation are Snowden's claims that utilizing the proper channels within the NSA would have been fruitless -- something that has been pointed out by

earlier whistleblowers, nearly all of whom have seen their careers ended and their lives turned upside down by government prosecutions for their actions.

https://theintercept.com/2016/12/16/...ative-roadmap/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's newsworthy for sure that an IG got canned for retaliation

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw the movie yesterday. He did the right thing, BUT, he also probably gave up a lot of classified info. I believe all governments are doing the same thing the US was doing. It hurt the US more than it helped. Even though the NSA cant see what you google anymore.

Thread Information