Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Flyer than I have to be oh crap's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Atlanta Hawks
    from the creator of weeds. apparently leaving critics "astounded"...

http://news.yahoo.com/netflix-done-a...141905098.html

Netlfix had enough confidence in their upcoming series, Orange Is the New Black, to have renewed it for a second season before it even debuted. Based on early reviews, their instincts were probably right: the streaming service's booming original-content wing has another critical hit on their hands.

Up until now, the show was something of an unknown. Orange didn't have the established (and rabid) fan base of Arrested Development, nor did it have the David Fincher-style prestige or Kevin Spacey-level star wattage of House of Cards. You couldn't even write it off as genre programming, as with Eli Roth's Hemlock Grove, the horror show that had its all-at-once debut on Netflix in April. No, Orange Is the New Black, based on a memoir by Piper Kerman, follows a yuppie woman who, because of some drug smuggling she did years ago, winds up in a minimum security prison. Fans of Weeds could take solace in known that that show's creator, Jenji Kohan, was on board for this one, and that Orange would be ready for yet another Netflix binge-watch, all in one summer-weekend sitting even, beginning on July 11.

Now The Hollywood Reporter's Tim Goodman explains in his review how wary he was of the show based on its premise, but goes onto say that the show "not only surprised but at various points astounded." He continues by saying that Kohan "has crafted a dramedy based on the popular memoir of the same name from Piper Kerman and infused it with an unpredictable flow of laughs, seriousness, an impressive and measured reveal of character backstories, and enormous potential."

At the New Yorker, Emily Nussbaum also raves (and later goes on to pan Showtime's new success Ray Donovan). She calls Orange "smart, salty, and outrageous," and praises the show's treatment of women, writing that it is "also smarter and subtler about the entire range of female-female dynamics than almost anything on TV." Alison Wilmore of Indiewire also dolled out superlatives, calling the show Netflix's "best so far."

We still don't know how many people will actually stream the series, but by anticipating the good reviews and renewing immediately, Netflix appears to have presciently patted themselves on the back. If Orange Is the New Black remains a niche success among elite fans, then the company will have shown that they are committed to quality television regardless of the result, perhaps avoiding some of the criticism that, say, HBO faced when it canceled Enlightened after two seasons. And now Netflix has also shown that they don't need a Fincher-Spacey duo or an established property to make quality television.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    College
    Oregon Ducks
    I think Netflix will do good with their series, but this one doesn't look like its for me. I really liked their last one though!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Atlanta Hawks
    I really liked their last one though!
    yeah, i really liked house of cards but still haven't gotten past the first episode of the new arrested development. and haven't watched hemlock grove yet either.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    House of cards was the . Haven't watched the other ones though.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Kentucky Wildcats
    Hemlock Grove sucks (as does anything with Eli Roth's name attached to it).

House of Cards was great, though, and Lilyhammer and the new Arrested Development both have their moments.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Lets be honest, this doesn't look good at all.

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Considering how horrible Weeds was in its last few seasons, the fact the show is from Jenji Kohan is as potentially bad as it is potentially good.

Other than that, the only thing that caught my eye is Laura Prepon as a lesbian, but it doesn't look like she's that big a part of the series as a whole, so... meh.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    College
    Oregon Ducks
    Considering how horrible Weeds was in its last few seasons, the fact the show is from Jenji Kohan is as potentially bad as it is potentially good.

Other than that, the only thing that caught my eye is Laura Prepon as a lesbian, but it doesn't look like she's that big a part of the series as a whole, so... meh.
    Yep, I like the first few seasons of weeds, but then the writers must have smoked to much. The show went up in smoke.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    College
    Oregon Ducks
    Lets be honest, this doesn't look good at all.
    I'm sure it will appeal to many out there. Just not me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm sure it will appeal to many out there. Just not me.
    That's the truth. like this has a large market. I can't take anything serious that has Jason Biggs in it. And the main character, Schilling, is straining way too much in the trailer alone. Plus, the story line is weak. Recipe for disaster as they say.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

I stopped watching once they went to Seattle. Weeds turned into a big joke.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Weeds turned into a joke well before that.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Weeds turned into a joke well before that.
    I agree. But I held on a while hoping they would turn it around, but that was the last straw. Once you're so far into something, it's hard to just, up and stop all together.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I agree. But I held on a while hoping they would turn it around, but that was the last straw. Once you're so far into something, it's hard to just, up and stop all together.
    Quit soon, binge on Netflix later if you have to. Plenty of good shows out there

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Quit soon, binge on Netflix later if you have to. Plenty of good shows out there
    That's what I've been doing as of late. I'll wait for a few seasons of a show to come out, then watch them all consecutively (with breaks in between obviously) marathon style. It feels more like a movie, and I don't like waiting for episodes every week. Usually an entire season will have to be out before I watch a show now. Although with some shows it's different (Mad Men for instance). I started watching House Of Cards on Netflix, but I stopped a few in and haven't gone back yet.

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    The Kevin Spacey-House of Cards was a great series--I preferred it over the English version. Watched a little of Hemlock Grove and found that to be alright. I think the delay and the wanton clamor for the comeback of Arrested Development muted the new episodes for me. Lost it for me but I do like the cameos in the Netflix offering of AD.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Atlanta Hawks
    and just to be clear, i'm pretty meh to indifferent on this show too as I hated the last few seasons of weeds as well. just saw the article and was surprised by the rave reviews coming in from critics so far. i'll probably watch an episode or two to see if it's for me but i expect that it won't be. house of cards>>>>

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    No thanks, it looks like crap.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I don't know, I might try it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Atlanta Hawks
    No thanks, it looks like crap.
    not that i'm defending it or give a , but don't you watch big brother and other lame shows?!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    not that i'm defending it or give a , but don't you watch big brother and other lame shows?!
    I do. I just don't wanna see chicks in prison. (Damn, big brother is kinda like prison)

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    it doesn't seem like its for me neither from the previews i saw.. but the way people are raving about it i'll give it one episode

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Weeds was joke after the town burned down.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Anyone watched this yet?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies

Weeds went downhill after S3 or so (the big fire). Was just pretty piss poor after that.

Thread Information