Page 102 of 150 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112 ... LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 3730
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ten Years After Not One High-Level Banker Sent to Jail for Tanking Global Economy,

This Man Gets 20 Years in Prison for Stealing Cigarettes

This is America.

Ten years after the behavior of over-leveraged and

fraudulent banks created a global financial disaster that resulted in hundreds of billions of dollars in losses;

a multi-trillion bailout using public money;

and millions of people losing their homes to foreclosure,

but saw not one high-level financial executive go to jail,

a man in Florida has been sentenced to a 20-year prison term for stealing $600 worth of cigarettes from a local convenience store.

"Robert Spellman, 48, received the lengthy sentence after a jury in Pensacola convicted him of burglary and grand theft last month."

He went into the Circle K in the 200 block of West Cervantes Street and took 10 cartons of cigarettes from a locked manager's office in the stock room.

He was found nearby, matched a description of the suspect, was wearing the same clothing and had the cigarettes, according to the State Attorney's Office.

Spellman had 14 felony and 31 misdemeanor convictions prior to this charge, so his 20-year sentence qualifies him as a habitual felony offender.

While the average carton contains 200 cigarettes, that means Spellman will now serve approximately 3.65 days in prison for each of the 2,000 cigarettes he allegedly stole.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...onomy-man-gets

$6M to confine him for 20 years, and we know the Fed won't print money to pay for it. Hard taxpayer $ will pay using $6M from safety net.

"Spellman had 14 felony and 31 misdemeanor convictions prior to this charge, so his 20-year sentence qualifies him as a habitual felony offender."

Lol c'mon boo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing 14 felonies dear God bouts

Boo gonna abolish the 3 strikes rule and replace it with the 300 strikes rule lmao

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After emancipation, slave states passed laws to CREATE bull felonies exclusively to go after so ex-slaves, to be locked up and forced back into slave labor.

I can't find it now, but I read that, eg TX, created 7000 state felonies to go after ex-slaves.

Maybe you can find this guy's state so-called "felonies".

The guy obviously has mental problems, but mentally ill people in USA, esp blacks, are "treated" aka murdered by police, or locked up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After emancipation, slave states passed laws to CREATE bull felonies exclusively to go after so ex-slaves, to be locked up and forced back into slave labor.

I can't find it now, but I read that, eg TX, created 7000 state felonies to go after ex-slaves.

Maybe you can find this guy's state so-called "felonies".

The guy obviously has mental problems, but mentally ill people in USA, esp blacks, are "treated" aka murdered by police, or locked up.

I got a theory too tbh
    Last edited by AaronY; 10-16-2018 at 08:58 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hundreds of CBP employees were arrested for crimes, including domestic abuse, in past two years

more than 500 Customs and Border Protection (CBP) employees were arrested

for incidents ranging from bribery to domestic abuse in 2016 and 2017,

CBP’s own investigation finds.

“The most common arrests were related to misconduct involving drugs or alcohol;

the reports concluded that 109 employees faced those kinds of charges in 2016, and 119 in 2017.

Domestic or family misconduct was the second most common reason for the arrest of the border agency employees—51 in 2017, up from 44 the previous year, the data show.”

in September,
    Juan David Ortiz, a 10-year veteran of CBP, confessed to killing four women during a 10-day murder spree.

Law enforcement believes Ortiz
    “probably used his government-issued, semiautomatic weapon” to kill Guiselda Alicia Hernandez, Claudine Ann Luera, Janelle Ortiz, and Melissa Ramirez, and nearly kill Erika Peña, his would-be fifth victim.

Yes, Border Patrol had a serial killer in its ranks—“the prosecutor says he feels comfortable describing Ortiz as a serial killer,”

The Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS) own report found that

corrupt border agents are so dangerous that they “pose a national security threat,”

yet the Republican-led Congress has done next to nothing to rein in abuses.

The federal government has already paid out tens of millions of dollars to settle wrongful death lawsuits at the hands of border officials since 2005.

Yet

Trump officials have sought to lower hiring standards

in order to hire thousands more agents.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/10/15/1804536/-Hundreds-of-CBP-employees-were-arrested-for-crimes-including-domestic-abuse-in-past-two-years?detail=emaildkre

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Astounding Bexar County Sheriff's deputy arrest rate continues to skyrocket

SAN ANTONIO - Twenty-one Bexar County Sheriff’s Office deputies as well as a dispatcher have now been arrested this year, double the total from 2017. And it's only mid-October.

With 1,374 deputies in the county, that is an arrest rate of 1.5 percent.

By comparison, three of the 2,329 officers in the

San Antonio Police Department have been arrested this year, a rate of 0.13 percent.

Salazar said his department will no longer hire jailers with criminal records.

In Dallas County, where there are 518 deputies, one has been arrested this year. That department had two arrests in 2017.

In Travis County, two of the 251 deputies have been arrested in 2018, one more than in 2017.

"We're taking a proactive stance.

Cadets in the Bexar County Sheriff's Department earn a starting annual salary of $34,656.

That is over $10,000 less per year than the $45,000 salary SAPD cadets are paid.

https://news4sanantonio.com/news/loc...-prolific-rate

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    racist sheriff deputies

L.A. County watchdog investigating team of deputies that stopped thousands of innocent Latinos on 5 Freeway

The Los Angeles County inspector general has launched an investigation into whether a Sheriff’s Department highway enforcement team engaged in racial profiling when it stopped thousands of innocent Latino drivers in search of drugs on the 5 Freeway.

The move comes after the Los Angeles Times reported that

nearly 70% of drivers stopped from 2012 through last year were Latino and that

two-thirds of them had their vehicles searched —

a rate far higher than motorists of other racial and ethnic groups.

Sheriff Jim McDonnell said he was proud of the team’s work, which includes confiscating 3,500 pounds of drugs and rescuing six victims of human trafficking.

He said he looks “forward to working closely with the inspector general to examine any issues of concern.”

“As someone who has dedicated my career to protecting the civil rights of all people,

I am personally concerned about any allegation of racial and ethnic profiling

and take very seriously questions about race and police procedures,” McDonnell said.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...008-story.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Florida cops go to jail for framing a black kid for burglary:

By helping the feds make a case against a corrupt ex-Biscayne Park police chief, two convicted former officers were hoping to avoid prison time for their roles in framing a black teenager with a string of burglaries.

Instead, Charlie Dayoub and Raul Fernandez were handcuffed and led by U.S. Marshals into custody on Tuesday after U.S. District Judge K. Michael Moore sentenced them to the maximum: one year in prison for the false arrests.

As family members cried in disbelief, Moore chastised federal prosecutors for agreeing to recommend eight months of home confinement for Dayoub and one year of probation for Fernandez based on their grand jury testimony and other assistance in helping target former Chief Raimundo Atesiano, who had pressured officers in the mostly white suburban town to pin property crimes on people of color. He pleaded guilty last month.

“It would have been a slap on the wrist, and it would have sent entirely the wrong message — particularly to the minority community,” Moore told Assistant U.S. Attorney Harry Wallace. “To think that they can come into court and get a slap on the wrist is insulting to the men and women in law enforcement.”
    https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...220091145.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Detroit cops got this one right, ain't no law against raking leaves

https://www.metrotimes.com/table-and...ee-white-women

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ‘If you don’t get at that rot, you just get more officers like Josh Hastings’

The Little Rock police shooting of 15-year-old Bobby Moore revealed a horror show

“All I know is this.

If you’re the kind of police department that would hire someone who attended a Ku Klux Klan meeting,

you knew something like this was going to happen.

How could you not know that?” duh because the cops (virtual) KKK members, sympathizers, racists.

Fifteen-year-old Bobby Moore was fatally shot in 2012 by Josh Hastings, a police officer with the Little Rock Police Department.

Despite serving on the force for only five years, Hastings’s tenure would prove to be enormously consequential.

He had been hired over the objection from a high-ranking black police officer, and

that objection was well-founded:

Before his hiring,

Hastings had once attended a meeting of the Ku Klux Klan,

then lied about it on his application.

He went on to ac ulate an astonishing disciplinary record,

usually resulting in lax punishment for misconduct.

Hastings once boasted about body-slamming a homeless black woman to the ground.

Video footage showed he had lied about a burglary investigation.

He slept on the job,

drove recklessly and

had problems activating his dashboard-mounted camera.

He admitted to using racist language.

He sometimes needed help writing reports, and

colleagues described him as lazy,

incompetent and

unfit to be a police officer.

Disturbing as Hastings’s disciplinary record may be,

other officers in the department have even thicker personnel files.

In fact, many of the very officers who trained and supervised Hastings have

had lengthy histories of misconduct —

including domestic violence,

lying, and

the use of excessive force.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...nl_most&wpmm=1

iow, Hastings is Trash's, Steven Miller's, JeBo's, KKK's, rightwingnutjob STers', most qualified cop.

One a hole slave state, always a hole slave state

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A Black Security Guard Was Killed By Police As He Tried To Stop A Shooting

Witnesses say a cop shot Jemel Roberson as he held down a suspect in a shooting at the bar.

Roberson, who was armed at the time, grabbed one of the men, held him down and waited for police, according to witnesses.

“He had somebody on the ground with his knee in back, with his gun in his back like, ‘Don’t move,’”

Adam Harris told WGN-TV.

But witnesses said Roberson became the victim as soon as police arrived. A responding officer with the Midlothian Police Department immediately shot Roberson,

Harris said the officer shot an innocent man and that

people on the scene tried to warn police that Roberson was a security guard.
    “Everybody was screaming out, ‘Security!

He was a security guard ... and they still did their job, and

saw a black man with a gun, and basically killed him,”

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...gEmail__111318

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ICE is helping 7-Eleven corporate in its war against store owners

Back in January, ICE conducted nationwide raids of 7-Eleven franchises.

These sweeps terrified and intimidated members of immigrant communities. What made these raids especially painful in the larger sense was that, for decades, 7-Eleven had been a very immigrant-friendly company, one that drew people newly arrived in this country.

As more information about the raid, and about 7-Eleven corporate’s involvement, has emerged,

the story has become ever more troubling.

Daily Kos’s Gabe Ortiz
    followed up at the time:

”This is yet another example of the

escalating attacks from the Trump administration and its rogue ICE agency on immigrant communities,” said immigrant rights group Make The Road New York.

“This is a family separation tactic—nothing more, nothing less—meant to stoke fear in the hearts of our community.

But we also know that workers have rights in this country, regardless of immigration status.

We encourage all workers to review their rights in case of an ICE raid.”

Nearly one year later, one version of events is this:

While ICE targeted employees and managers, 7-Eleven is using the fallout to prey on franchise owners.

The more likely version, it turns out, is that

7-Eleven cooperated with ICE and directed the agency to specific franchises,

If franchises are being very publicly investigated for immigration law violations, 7-Eleven might as well cooperate with ICE and squeeze what benefit they can from the situation, i.e., franchise takeovers.

Turns out, this tactic is very much in line with
    DePinto’s leadership historically.

Corporate’s openly seeking excuses to seize franchises.

Since DePinto took over 7-Eleven, the corporation has moved away from celebrating diversity, increased demands on franchises, and

invested millions in investigating franchise owners.

The corporate investigators have used tactics including

tailing franchisees in unmarked vehicles,

planting hidden cameras and listening devices, and

deploying a surveillance van disguised as a plumber’s truck.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...tail=emaildkre

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    again, cops kill the wrong guy

Police admit a mall shooter is still on the loose after
    they shot the wrong man

In Alabama, EJ Bradford was killed by a police officer who claimed he mistook Bradford for a shooter who injured 2.

https://thinkprogress.org/police-adm...-39a6b42f55aa/

Good Guys with guns (and no experience shooting people) would obviously shoot only the Bad Guys, are much better than the cops.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Milwaukee said officers justified in shooting of unarmed black man, new video destroys that story

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that

(black) Smith had no weapon,

was charged with no crime, and

doesn’t even have one of those “no angel” police records that
    racists like to point to justify murdering black men.

According to the criminal complaint, officers found

Baker with a rifle and armed with three other guns.

When they told him to drop the gun,

he refused and

said he was running for governor and

that he was going to start a militia.

Mr. Baker was finally “tackled” by police officers and taken into custody.

Besides the fact that Baker was actually armed with a truly dangerous weapon, and

the fact that he refused to comply at all with police officers’ requests,

there are only two other differences between Baker’s case and Smith’s case:

Baker was white, and in his case,

the police officers didn’t feel the need to use deadly force.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...tail=emaildkre

Black Live Don't Matter to Cops

Black Smith is alive, but now really ed up from the cop fusillade.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Florida Police Chief Gets 3 Years for Plot to Frame Black People for Crimes

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/28/u...er=rss&emc=rss

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The guy obviously has mental problems...
    and so do you unfortunately. this is what happens when you virtue signal for a 14 times felon, you end up looking exactly like the mentally ill you advocate for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Florida Police Chief Gets 3 Years for Plot to Frame Black People for Crimes

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/28/u...er=rss&emc=rss
    the white supremacy is strong with this one!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ‘It’s still a blast beating people’:

St. Louis police indicted in assault of undercover officer posing as protester

the city’s police braced for massive protests. But St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department Officer Dustin Boone wasn’t just prepared for the unrest — he was pumped.

“It’s gonna get IGNORANT tonight!!” he texted on Sept. 15, 2017, the day of the verdict.

“It’s gonna be a lot of fun beating the out of these s---heads

once the sun goes down and nobody can tell us apart!!!!”

Boone, 35, and two other officers, Randy Hays, 31, and Christopher Myers, 27, threw a man to the ground and viciously kicked him and beat him with a riot baton,

even though he was complying with their instructions.

the three police officers had no idea that

the man was a
    (black) 22-year police veteran working undercover,

whom they beat so badly that
    he couldn’t eat and lost 20 pounds.

Prosecutors released text messages showing the officers bragging about assaulting protesters, with Hays even noting that “going rogue does feel good.”

“If it was not a police officer — and particularly a black police officer — who was the victim of this assault, would we be at this juncture?”

“We’ve had several incidents of protesters and activists being the victims of excessive use of force and

police abusing their authority without ever seeing charges like this.”

the three police officers gave false statements about the arrest and

even directly contacted Hall to try to dissuade him from pursuing charges.

Myers also destroyed Hall’s cellphone, prosecutors say.

Colletta, who was romantically involved with Hays, also lied to investigators about the assault,

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2018/11/30/its-still-blast-beating-people-st-louis-police-indicted-assault-undercover-officer-posing-protester/?utm_term=.ae1242e0a9ec&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Autopsy on Black Alabama Man Killed at Mall on Thanksgiving Finds Police Shot Him From Behind

the victim was shot three times from behind, casting more doubt on the official justification for the shooting,

Some witnesses have said the officer gave
    no verbal commands to Bradford before shooting him.

In the aftermath, Hoover’s police chief
    praised the police at the scene for stopping the gunman.

the 21-year-old

had been hit in the back of his head,

the back of his neck,

and in his back

He also had a wound around his right eyebrow, indicating that he fell forward when shot.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...sy-police.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Atlanta Cops Caught Deleting Body Cam Footage, Failing To Activate Recording Devices

Officials are promising more transparency on the part of law enforcement, and

greater trust between cops and the community.

The body cameras “will strengthen trust among our officers and the communities they serve

by providing transparency to officer interactions,” said Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed this past week in announcing a purchase.

Oh, we were all so very young then. Look at us (
    including me!), pointing to the increasing adoption of body cameras as the ushering in of a new era of transparency and accountability. Didn't take long for this lily to get unceremoniously de-gilded.

Cameras are great tools of accountability. They just can't be
    controlled and maintained by cops.

Two years after promising a better police force brimming with accountable officers steadily working to rebuild relationships with the citizens they police,

Atlanta residents are being informed their servants/protectors are cheats and liars.

The audit looked at a random sample of 150 videos from officers’ body cameras.

In more than half the cases,

officers failed to activate and deactivate their cameras at the required time, the audit said.

Officers also miscategorized 22 of the videos, including a use of force incident.

Auditors said mislabeling the videos may have led to some being deleted prematurely.

And the audit said that officers failed to capture two-thirds of dispatched calls between November 2017 and May 2018

These results shouldn't shock Atlanta residents or readers of this site.

It doesn't even shock Atlanta Police officials.

Police Chief Erika Shields says she's "not happy" with the results of the audit, but also "not surprised."

She excuses her officers actions in the worst possible way:

"I knew that what we are asking of officers is a culture shift."

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...-devices.shtml

no police culture gonna "shift". Cops join to enjoy, profit from that criminal, sadistic corrupt cop culture

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Inglewood to destroy more than 100 police shooting records that could otherwise become public under new California law

has troubled civil liberties advocates who were behind the state legislation, Senate Bill 1421, which takes effect Jan. 1.

The law opens to the public internal investigations of officer shootings and other major uses of force, along with confirmed cases of sexual assault and lying while on duty.

“The legislature passed SB 1421 because communities demanded an end to the secrecy cloaking police misconduct and use of force,”

“Inglewood PD’s decision to purge records undermines police accountability and transparency against the will of Californians.”

https://www.latimes.com/politics/essential/la-pol-ca-essential-politics-may-2018-city-of-inglewood-to-destroy-more-than-1545504782-htmlstory.html#nws=mcnewsletter

"blue" CA's cops are as murderous, racist, brutalizing, secretive Blue Wall-ish, militarized as any red state cops.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ph.D. student tackled by cops for 'stealing' own car

settles lawsuit for $1.25 million

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat....html#nws=true

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DNA-Matching Company Decides To Open Its Doors To The FBI Without Bothering To Inform Its Users

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...rm-users.shtml

Thread Information