Page 12 of 150 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a more subtle violence, but any violence

Does Ferguson run 'debtor's prison'? Lawsuit targets a source of unrest.

A lawsuit filed Sunday aims to correct one of the driving factors behind the racial unrest in Ferguson, Mo., last summer: a local court system that, critics say, systematically jailed people too poor to pay fines ac ulated from traffic tickets or other minor infractions.

A kind of 19th-century "debtor's prison" has been in place for years in Ferguson and nearby Jennings, Mo., say those who filed the lawsuit. The result, they add, is "a ensian system that flagrantly violates the basic cons utional and human rights of our community’s most vulnerable people."

The lawsuit comes at a time when several states and cities – including Ferguson – are beginning to address the grievances laid bare last summer. Ferguson has just not gone far enough or fast enough, the lawsuit claims.

As of last October, many small towns near St. Louis with majority black populations collected more money from traffic fines and court fees than from property and sales taxes

court-related revenues were the second largest source of city income, accounting for $2.6 million of the $20 million in total revenue, the report found. And in 2013, Ferguson issued almost 33,000 arrest warrants, more than one per resident, for unpaid fines for minor violations – though many were issued for non-residents.

"The practice of using fines and fees to impose ‘hidden taxes’ on the poorest populations is evident," the report said.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice...urce-of-unrest

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Video shows man throwing rocks gunned down by police in hail of bullets while trying to run away

Police in Washington state said that they were forced to kill a man who was armed with rocks, but witnesses claimed the suspect was trying to run away.

The Bellingham Herald reported that “more than a dozen witnesses” watched Pasco police officers confront a man outside Vinny’s Bakery and Cafe on Tuesday. The man was observed throwing a rock at a passing vehicle before police arrived.

According to the witnesses, the suspect was holding a rock, and appeared to threaten officers.

Ben Patrick said that he was just yards away when he saw officers try to shock the man with their Tasers.

“The guy was trying to pull the Taser (prongs) out of his arm,” Patrick recalled.

Cellphone video that was posted to YouTube shows the man confronting police before the officers fire three shots, and then begin chasing the suspect.

The officers appear to corner the man in the blurry video, and about 10 more shots are fired.

“It was just a rock!” one of the witnesses yells at the officers.

In the video, a motionless body can be seen lying next to a building with officers standing over it.

“He’s already dead!” a witness says as the officers handcuff the suspect (aka a cop-threatening corpse ).

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/02/v...e+Raw+Story%29

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Alabama cop charged after release of video showing him throw Indian grandfather to ground

An Alabama policeman has been charged with assault after a man recently arrived from India said he was left partially paralyzed when an officer threw him to the ground during a morning walk, authorities said on Thursday.

Sureshbhai Patel, 57, sued the city and two officers in a civil rights complaint filed on Thursday, alleging race factored into his treatment, his attorney said. The FBI said it was also investigating.

Patel told police officers who stopped him: “No English, Indian,” and gave the house number for his son, the suit said.

A police officer then tossed Patel, who weighs about 130 pounds, to the ground, according to the complaint.

He was severely injured, requiring surgery to relieve pressure on his spinal cord, the complaint said. He has regained some movement in his arms and legs but remains weak, his attorney said.

video here:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/02/alabama-cop-charged-after-release-of-video-showing-him-throw-indian-grandfather-to-ground/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Georgia deputy fired after handcuffing 12-year-old to pole, beating and Tasering him

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/02/g...e+Raw+Story%29

black on black crime. We know white police would do this, and more, to black kids, but would a black cop do this a white 12 year old?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a more subtle violence, but any violence

Does Ferguson run 'debtor's prison'? Lawsuit targets a source of unrest.

A lawsuit filed Sunday aims to correct one of the driving factors behind the racial unrest in Ferguson, Mo., last summer: a local court system that, critics say, systematically jailed people too poor to pay fines ac ulated from traffic tickets or other minor infractions.

A kind of 19th-century "debtor's prison" has been in place for years in Ferguson and nearby Jennings, Mo., say those who filed the lawsuit. The result, they add, is "a ensian system that flagrantly violates the basic cons utional and human rights of our community’s most vulnerable people."

The lawsuit comes at a time when several states and cities – including Ferguson – are beginning to address the grievances laid bare last summer. Ferguson has just not gone far enough or fast enough, the lawsuit claims.

As of last October, many small towns near St. Louis with majority black populations collected more money from traffic fines and court fees than from property and sales taxes

court-related revenues were the second largest source of city income, accounting for $2.6 million of the $20 million in total revenue, the report found. And in 2013, Ferguson issued almost 33,000 arrest warrants, more than one per resident, for unpaid fines for minor violations – though many were issued for non-residents.

"The practice of using fines and fees to impose ‘hidden taxes’ on the poorest populations is evident," the report said.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice...urce-of-unrest

I figured this out after reading the ferguson online budget. 25% of the city's revenues (after expenses for the court) were from fines.

Serious stupid going on there, and it is kinda hard to hide the fact that the city government had become a predatory leech on the poor people in their city.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Alabama cop charged after release of video showing him throw Indian grandfather to ground

An Alabama policeman has been charged with assault after a man recently arrived from India said he was left partially paralyzed when an officer threw him to the ground during a morning walk, authorities said on Thursday.

Sureshbhai Patel, 57, sued the city and two officers in a civil rights complaint filed on Thursday, alleging race factored into his treatment, his attorney said. The FBI said it was also investigating.

Patel told police officers who stopped him: “No English, Indian,” and gave the house number for his son, the suit said.

A police officer then tossed Patel, who weighs about 130 pounds, to the ground, according to the complaint.

He was severely injured, requiring surgery to relieve pressure on his spinal cord, the complaint said. He has regained some movement in his arms and legs but remains weak, his attorney said.

video here:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/02/alabama-cop-charged-after-release-of-video-showing-him-throw-indian-grandfather-to-ground/

About as egregious as it gets. Here are the results. All because the guy didn't speak english and the cop felt his authority was threatened.

They have charged the dumb ass cop who did this with third degree assault and ing fired him.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/02/a...her-to-ground/

"remains weak" is an understatement. Mr. Patel can't move his legs. The ex-cop better hope he does.

Hope the ex-cop rots for a few years then gets to dig ditches for the remainder of his working life, as a convicted felon, him.
    Last edited by RandomGuy; 02-13-2015 at 09:13 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The emerging trend of innocent black men and boys dying after calls to 911

Now I dialed 911 a long time ago
    Don't you see how late they're reacting
    They only come and they come when they wanna
    So get the morgue truck and embalm the goner
    They don't care cause they stay paid anyway
    They treat you like an ace that can't beat a trey
    A no-use number with no-use people.
    -Flavor Flav, "911's a Joke"

In 1990, the biggest complaint about 911, which has far from disappeared, is that when you call police for medical help in black communities they are outrageously slow to respond.

In 2015, a call to 911 is a brand-new type of death sentence for black men and boys all over the country that must be addressed on a local and national level.

Here are five highlighted cases where calls to 911 caused four vibrant, innocent black men and boys to lose their lives and one grandfather from India, mistaken as a black man, to be left paralyzed—all at the hands of police paid to protect us.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/0...28Daily+Kos%29

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One small town's police have killed more people than police in Germany and the UK combined

With just 59,000 residents, the Pasco police department in Washington state have shot and killed four people in the past six months—more than police in the entire United Kingdom, which has over 80,000,000 citizens, in the past three years combined.

In fact,
    Pasco police are on pace to have more police shootings than Germany, also with 80,000,000 citizens, over the current 12 month period.

On Tuesday, February 10, three Pasco police officers shot and killed an unarmed man who had been throwing rocks.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/0...28Daily+Kos%29

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New NYPD Anti-Terror Unit Will Get Machine Guns To Police Protesters

Murders reached a historic low in NYC for 2014; overall crime was down across the board by nearly 5%; , even the holiday slowdown didn't really lead to any additional crime. So clearly, now is the time when NYC really needs to implement a new anti-terrorism program which would empower a team of NYPD officers to roam around the city carrying machine guns. What could go wrong?

Police Commissioner Bratton made the announcement earlier today at an event hosted by the Police Foundation at the Mandarin Oriental. He said that the new 350 cop unit, called The Strategic Response Group, will be dedicated to "disorder control and counterterrorism protection capabilities" against attacks like the hostage situation in Sydney, which the NYPD's Deputy Commissioner of Intelligence John Miller said was an inevitability in NYC.

This new squad will be used to investigate and combat terrorist plots, lone wolf terrorists, and... protests. "It is designed for dealing with events like our recent protests, or incidents like Mumbai or what just happened in Paris," Bratton said, according to CBS.

"They’ll be equipped and trained in ways that our normal patrol officers are not," Bratton explained. "They’ll be equipped with all the extra heavy protective gear, with the long rifles and machine guns — unfortunately sometimes necessary in these instances." Capital NY adds that these officers will also be used "to assist on crime scenes, and help with crowd control and other large-scale events."

http://gothamist.com/2015/01/29/nypd_machine_guns.php

Political, social dissenters, aka Freedom of Assembly, are, for the warrior cops, to be treated as terrorists, in the general national trend of criminalizing dissent.

NYPD tried to qualify Bratton's machine-gunning, terrorizing of dissent, but Bratton didn't make up that on the podium.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    St. Louis Cops Turn Dash Cam Off in Middle of Arrest, Brutally Beat Suspect

Burkemper eventually pulls Bufford out of the car, and at least seven other officers get involved in the scene. One officer in the video is shown kicking Bufford when he is on the ground.

Bufford was also tased twice while on the ground. It appears there is no clear justification for using such force. Officer Kelli Swinton approaches Burkemper’s patrol car at 10:16pm and yells, “Hold up. Hold up, y’all. Hold up. Hold up, everybody, hold up. We’re red right now, so if you guys are worried about cameras, just wait.” The video ends eight second later.

The charges of resisting arrest and unlawful use of a weapon were dropped in August because the tape contradicted the police report,

http://www.alternet.org/civil-libert...ter1031960&t=3

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    City of Cleveland: 12-year-old Tamir Rice caused his own death by failing to ‘avoid injury’

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/c...e+Raw+Story%29

Tamir really screwed up when he was born black.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    City of Cleveland: 12-year-old Tamir Rice caused his own death by failing to ‘avoid injury’

he screwed up by waving a replica gun around in public

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he screwed up by waving a replica gun around in public
    B.S. Couple of weeks ago i saw three kids in a residential area chasing each other with black guns. Its fairly common for kids to play with [realistic] toy guns. They didn't get killed and blamed for their deaths. At the very least the dispatcher should face charges for failing to relay the fact that it was probably a toy gun.

Cops pulled up in front of him and shot him, without giving him a warning. Never-mind the fact the police lied and said they warned him three times to put his hands up, in a span of 1 second.

"The DOJ investigation found a systemic pattern of reckless and inappropriate use of force by officers and concerns about their search-and-seizure practices. It also said officers frequently violate people's civil rights, blaming faulty tactics, inadequate training and a lack of supervision and accountability. The result is a deep mistrust of the city’s law enforcement authorities, especially in the black community, the report concluded."

The John Crawford murder was somehow even worse. He was murder walking around Walmart carrying a toy gun, pointed to the ground. He stopped an made a phone call for 10 minute with him leaning on the toy gun like it was a crutch. Someone called the police and said he aimed it at two kids. A plain clothes cop later shot him without warning.
    Last edited by cd021; 03-01-2015 at 08:08 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    B.S. Couple of weeks ago i saw three kids in a residential area chasing each other with black guns. They didn't get killed and blamed for their deaths. At the very least the dispatcher should face charges for failing to relay the fact that it was probably a toy gun.
    ok. and if cops were called to the scene and weren't told it was a replica, something bad could have happened

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A Court Put a 9-Year-Old in Shackles for Stealing Chewing Gum—an Outrage That Happens Every Single Day

The nine-year-old stole a 14-stick pack of Trident "Layers" chewing gum, Orchard Peach and Ripe Mango flavor, worth $1.48. He'd lingered by the beverage isle of the Super 1 Foods in Post Falls, Idaho, for a while before bailing out the front door. The theft led to a missed court appearance, which led to an arrest and a night spent in a juvenile jail. The next day, the third-grader appeared in court, chained and shackled.

At least 100,000 children are shackled in the US every year, according to estimates by David Shapiro, a campaign manager at the Campaign Against Indiscriminate Juvenile Shackling. (Formal data on numbers of shackled kids does not exist.) As juvenile justice practices have grown more punitive over the past several decades, shackling has become far more common.

This month, the American Bar Association (ABA) passed a resolution calling for an end to this practice because it is harmful to juveniles, largely unnecessary for courtroom safety—and contradicts existing law. "We're not just talking handcuffs here. These kids are virtually hog-tied," says John D. Elliott, a South Carolina defense attorney who worked on the resolution. "The only difference is their hands are in front."

The restraints—which include handcuffs, belly chains, and leg irons—are used on kids of all ages and often don't fit the severity of their crime: The majority of kids are in court for non-violent offenses, like shoplifting or truancy.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...e-children-aba

The only way to stop shackling kids is to pass laws, and Repugs will block all of them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ok. and if cops were called to the scene and weren't told it was a replica, something bad could have happened
    Sure, maybe, but that's the problem. Shooting is a first resort to some officers. Its a tough job, but when two cops pull up and shoot a 12 year old boy who was playing with a toy gun [didn't even have his gun raised], and they even didn't give him orders to put his hands up. Thats laughable. the cops lied. Even when they get caught in a lie, they skate with no reprimand.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Straight up evil. you have no soul if you can call an innocent 12 year old child a menace and blame him for his own death. We all saw the vid, tamir didn't stand a chance. I wish someone in that police department would just admit it wasn't that child's fault he isn't alive.

Boutons, didn't Cleveland police department get investigated by the feds?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, maybe, but that's the problem. Shooting is a first resort to some officers. Its a tough job, but when two cops pull up and shoot a 12 year old boy who was playing with a toy gun [didn't even have his gun raised], and they even didn't give him orders to put his hands up. Thats laughable. the cops lied. Even when they get caught in a lie, they skate with no reprimand.
    yup. when the story first came out, that was among the things i pointed out as su ious. the cops claimed they told him to put the gun down twice, but based on the video evidence that was basically impossible

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Alabama police taser electrical engineer at his own housewarming party

Dominique Kenebrew alleges he was celebrating his purchase of a new home when sheriff's deputies came by, tried to enter his new home without explaining why, and then tasered him in the back because he refused to let them in. He is suing now:

The complaint filed today states Deputy Daniel Dejong "shot Kenebrew in the back with his taser, delivering a five-second electrical shock... pulled the taser trigger two more times, delivering two more five-second electrical shocks."
    Kenebrew was arrested, taken to jail and charged with obstructing government operations. He was later acquitted.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/0...?detail=email#

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Houston PD conceals Stingray use details from prosecutors, citing NDA; warrant for cell-phone location data bill filed

"For about seven years, the Houston Police Department has owned devices that can trick your cellphone into sharing its location and call log by pretending to be a cell tower," reported Karen Chen at the Houston Chronicle (Feb. 27).

But little is known about how they are deployed, only what they are capable of: telling law enforcement where you are and to whom you've been talking.

In Texas, police are not required to obtain a warrant before using a Stingray, and the net is indiscriminate. The devices sweep up all nearby information, regardless of whether the cellphone is involved in a crime.

Your correspondent was quoted briefly in the story. The most interesting news was something told to me several weeks ago by the Harris DA's office, but made public in this story for the first time: That the Houston PD refuses to tell even the District Attorney's office, much less local judges, what they're doing with this technology, citing a non-disclosure agreement with the Harris Corporation which makes the device.

Harris County prosecutor Bill Exley said the arrangement doesn't put people's minds at ease. As far as he is aware, Stingrays do not amount to wiretaps, which reveal the content of what's being communicated. That said, Exley said, the nondisclosure agreement has prevented him, too, from knowing what exactly Stingrays are capable of or being used for. He said he has never offered evidence in court that was produced by a Stingray.

HPD has told him that Stingrays are most useful in catching fugitives.

"If there's a warrant for your arrest, the cops should be able to do anything lawful to find you," Exley said. "The question becomes, at what level do you start requiring police officers to ask judges so they can do things they are otherwise legally able to do?"

Exley said as far as he knows the Stingrays aren't wiretapping. But the truth is, the Stingray captures private calls and routes them through a fake cell phone tower operated by the police, and that includes call content as well as metadata. So we have nothing but HPD's say so to support the assertion that they're not accessing content, it's not because the technology they have isn't capable of doing so. If "trust us, we're the government" is good enough for you, you ought to be okay with this.

http://gritsforbreakfast.blogspot.co...ngray-use.html

other PDs have adminted stingrays can disrupt non-targeted connections.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the Department of Public Safety had interpreted broadly to claim they could gather all ten fingerprints when Texans renewed their drivers licenses.

http://gritsforbreakfast.blogspot.com/2015/03/senate-bill-would-restrict-dps-to.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol monkey laws

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rt-police.html

Trolling. Cop rally called "Blue Lives Matter" saw on the news that one woman helped organize it as a response to the "Black Lives Matter" protests.

Its one thing to support cops because they have a tough job, but rip off a movement that is in response to cops murdering unarmed black men is trash. Even had the balls to imply Eric Garner caused his death ("Breathe Easy Don't Break the Law) cause choking an unarmed man to death over alleged selling loose cigarettes is justifiable.

Reminds me of those who marched to support Wilson and the Ferguson police department during all of the protesting . The DOJ report undermines part of their rally

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rt-police.html

Trolling. Cop rally called "Blue Lives Matter" saw on the news that one woman helped organize it as a response to the "Black Lives Matter" protests.

Its one thing to support cops because they have a tough job, but rip off a movement that is in response to cops murdering unarmed black men is trash. Even had the balls to imply Eric Garner caused his death ("Breathe Easy Don't Break the Law) cause choking an unarmed man to death over alleged selling loose cigarettes is justifiable.

Reminds me of those who marched to support Wilson and the Ferguson police department during all of the protesting . The DOJ report undermines part of their rally
    yep, false equivalence. Cops are killed by criminals. Innocent people, kids are killed by cops.

Thread Information