Page 13 of 150 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unarmed man shot in his apartment by police in Wisconsin.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/07/us/wis...sts/index.html

36/7/7
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Just wanna bash a ******'s head thru a place glass window tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone at the NYPD has been editing Eric Garner’s Wikipedia page

Reports from Capital New York indicate NYPD computers edited a number of controversial entries

Wikipedia entries for several high-profile victims of police brutality and misconduct have been edited by computers from the New York Police Department’s network, according to Capital New York. The entries include descriptions of the death of Eric Garner, Sean Belland Amadou Diallo, as well as general entries on stop-and-frisk and other NYPD controversies.

“The matter is under internal review,” said NYPD spokesperson, Det. Cheryl Crispin, in an email to Capital New York.

The edits all improve the legitimacy of police actions. For instance, on the “Death of Eric Garner” Wikipedia entry, “Garner raised both his arms in the air” was changed to “Garner flailed his arms about as he spoke,” and the sentence “Garner, who was considerably larger than any of the officers, continued to struggle with them,” was added.

http://www.salon.com/2015/03/13/edit...ypd_computers/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    11 year old suspended for a year for possessing a ‘leaf’ that repeatedly tested negative for pot

An 11-year-old Virginia boy was suspended for 364 days after being caught in possession of a leaf that, as it turned out, repeatedly tested negative for marijuana, The Roanoke Times‘ Dan Casey reports.Last September, officials at Bedford Middle School learned of a rumor that a student was bragging about having marijuana.

When the vice principal searched the student, he found a lighter and a “leaf” in the boy’s backpack, and in accordance with the school’s
    “zero tolerance” policy — which applies to both actual and “lookalike” or “imitation” drugs — suspended the boy for a year.

The vice principal and school resource officer also contacted the police, who filed marijuana possession charges against the 11-year-old.
    However, when the prosecutor had the “leaf” tested — on three separate occasions — the tests came back negative for marijuana.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/1...ative-for-pot/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CIA Worked With DOJ To Re-Purpose Foreign Surveillance Airborne Cell Tower Spoofers For Domestic Use

The CIA's recent rebranding as Valhalla for US cyberwarriors notwithstanding, the agency's general focus has been intelligence gathering on foreign governments, corporations and people. That it has often mistaken "torturing people into saying whatever they can to make it stop" for "intelligence gathering" isn't necessarily germane to the following discussion, but it's worth noting that the CIA is almost single-handedly responsible for destroying the term "extraordinary rendition" -- a formerly innocuous (and complimentary) term previously used to highlight something like, say, Johnny Cash's amazing cover of Soundgarden's' "Rusty Cage." (That Cash's two best covers are "Hurt" and "Rusty Cage" is not germane to the discussion of CIA torture programs, but what a coincidence!)

But the emphasis here is foreign. Which is why the following news makes so little sense.

The Central Intelligence Agency played a crucial role in helping the Justice Department develop technology that scans data from thousands of U.S. cellphones at a time, part of a secret high-tech alliance between the spy agency and domestic law enforcement, according to people familiar with the work.

The CIA and the U.S. Marshals Service, an agency of the Justice Department, developed technology to locate specific cellphones in the U.S. through an airborne device that mimics a cellphone tower, these people said.

"These people" are likely keeping both eyes on their backs at this point, considering this revelation sheds more light on two things both agencies would like to keep in permanent darkness: the CIA's involvement in
    domestic surveillance and the US Marshals' airborne "dirtboxes," which are hoovering up tons of phone call info using high-flying IMSI catchers.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...stic-use.shtml

the DCIA, domestic central intelligence agency.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Denver Cops Fail to Use Mandated Body Cams 75 Percent of the Time—Wonder Why

http://www.alternet.org/civil-libert...ime-wonder-why

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cop Actually Stopped Other Cops From Beating Guy Up! (Then Got Fired.)

It took a couple of years, but there’s finally been a bit of justice done in Bogota, New Jersey, where a judge has ordered the police department to reinstate, with back pay, Regina Tasca, a genuinely good cop who was fired in 2012 after stopping two fellow officers, who were fellows, from beating the living crap out of a mentally ill man who only needed to be taken to a hospital. Instead of getting a commendation for excellence in serving the community, Tasca was suspended and ultimately fired for being “psychologically unfit.” Here’s what happened back in 2012:

The black-and-white tape captures it all — a mother, Tara, screaming for police to stop punching her son on their front lawn. She had called to have her emotionally disturbed son Kyle taken to the hospital. Bogota police responded while waiting for the ambulance. Tasca was the sole officer on the road that day, so she called for back-up according to protocol. Ridgefield Park police then sent two officers. Tasca had just completed her state-mandated training for working with emotionally disturbed citizens.

Tasca described what we see on the videotape: “The Ridgefield Park officer automatically charges and takes him down to the ground. I was quite shocked. As he’s doing that, another Ridgefield Park officer flies to the scene in his car, jumps out and starts punching him in the head.”

Read more at http://wonkette.com/579817/breaking-...1wiDIo5oCPl.99

Police work seems to attract, or create, sadists.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Given the rampant excessive use of force against minorities and the double standards and conflict of interest of the courts there is plenty good reasons to find the story plausible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So will the hands up don't shoot survive after what looks like complete BS?

Will the important lessons still be tied to a lie?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hands Up, Don't Shoot is still a valid symbol of protest against police harassing, brutalizing, slaughtering (mostly unarmed) blacks, male and female, and mentally ill of all colors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hands Up, Don't Shoot is still a valid symbol of protest against police harassing, brutalizing, slaughtering (mostly unarmed) blacks, male and female, and mentally ill of all colors.
    Agreed. In terms of a much larger picture it doesn't matter whether Brown gave the Hands Up, Don't Shoot symbol. Someone, somewhere has and they were still shot.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Was it a valid symbol for Mike Brown or was it a lie?

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Agreed. In terms of a much larger picture it doesn't matter whether Brown gave the Hands Up, Don't Shoot symbol. Someone, somewhere has and they were still shot.
    It does matter though. The city of Ferguson was burned and looted because of this lie.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count

I said it was a lie from the start and posted a very detailed article on who the players were pushing the false narrative but because the article was from a conservative website it was scoffed. The scoffers won't show their faces here and own up, you can count on that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It does matter though. The city of Ferguson was burned and looted because of this lie.
    ing bull , gratuitously killing the kid was the last straw in the long history white cops harassing, abusing, money-sucking Ferguson blacks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    .... as if you the tiniest ing idea of a symbol

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The crazy thing is that if the chaos that ensued didn't happen, the PD would still harassing the black residents. It doesn't make the burning and looting right but the protesting was justified

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said it was a lie from the start and posted a very detailed article on who the players were pushing the false narrative but because the article was from a conservative website it was scoffed. The scoffers won't show their faces here and own up, you can count on that.
    I was a skeptic. But when the bullet entry points were shown, I started doubting.
    All I want is the truth. And the truth appears to be the opposite of what Ferguson protesters "knew".
    You don't tie a legitimate movement to a lie. Some people don't get this apparently.

The article is a good one. Apparently some are unwilling to come out and say this as it might taint the general theme (which the author thinks is exactly wrong). That slogan leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. And For good reason.

The phrase we all know and love comes out again:

Some people can't handle the truth. In this case I believe it is the insecure ones with little foresight.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Judicial Committee Gives FBI The First OK It Needs To Hack Any Computer, Anywhere On The Planet

the agencies are one step closer to being legally permitted to hack nearly any computer in the world.
    A judicial advisory panel Monday quietly approved a rule change that will broaden the FBI's hacking authority despite fears raised by Google that the amended language represents a "monumental" cons utional concern.

The Judicial Conference Advisory Committee on Criminal Rules voted 11-1 to modify an arcane federal rule to allow judges more flexibility in how they approve search warrants for electronic data, according to a Justice Department spokesman.
    No longer bound by physical jurisdictions, the FBI will be able to perform remote searches all over the globe. This is its "21st century" fix -- a permission slip to implant malicious software in any computer, located anywhere, in order to track suspected criminals. That performing these actions may strain international relationships or break local laws is just the acceptable collateral damage inherent to modern-day crimefighting.

There's still plenty of time left before it goes into effect, and several chances that this rule change might be found to be just as potentially damaging -- both to the Fourth Amendment and rights of citizens in other nations -- as tech companies and privacy advocates are portraying it.
    The judicial advisory committee's vote is only the first of several stamps of approval required within the federal judicial branch before the the rule change can formally take place—a process that will likely take over a year. The proposal is now subject to review by the Standing Committee on Rules of Practice and Procedure, which normally can approve amendments at its June meeting. The Judicial Conference is next in line to approve the rule, a move that would likely occur in September.

The Supreme Court would have until May 1, 2016 to review and accept the amendment, which Congress would then have seven months to reject, modify or defer. Absent any congressional action, the rule would take place on Dec. 1, 2016.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...e-planet.shtml

... but they just can't seem to catch America's insider dealings, financial fraudsters, tax evaders, etc, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    but but but

All Men Are Created Equal and Have God-Given, Inalienable Equal Rights Before The Law

Looks to me like this black dude has NO RIGHTS, how can that be?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ‘Poor training’ resulted in almost 400 shootings by Philadelphia police – Justice Dept

Poor training led Philadelphia police officers to the mistaken belief that fearing for their lives alone justified the use of deadly force, a new Justice Department review has found. That fear resulted in 394 shootings over a seven-year period.

The 'Assessment of Deadly Force in the Philadelphia Police Department,' released Monday, came with 48 findings and 91 recommendations by the Justice Department.

It found that 81 percent of the victims of officer-involved shootings were African-American men in their twenties;

59 percent of the shootings were carried out by white officers;

and most shootings occurred in majority black neighborhoods.

Those neighborhoods in northern Philadelphia were also police districts with the highest patterns of gun violence and homicides.

http://rt.com/usa/243385-doj-philade...ice-shootings/

Thread Information