Page 75 of 150 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985125 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 3730
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The NYPD Is Already a Small Army - Now It Is Hyping Terror Threats to Militarize Even More

"You name it, we are buying it," says NYPD Chief Bill Bratton as city purchases $7.5 million in military-style gear

The NYPD is already the largest and most well-resourced police force in the United States, with more than 34,000 officers on its payroll and a budget that hovers over $5 billion annually.

But now, the New York Police Commissioner Bill Bratton and Mayor Bill de Blasio are invoking the specter of ISIS-style terror and the supposed “war on cops” to spend at least another $7.5 million on military-style gear.

Their effort is part of a nationwide push by police departments to exploit themassacre at Orlando’s Pulse LGBTQ nightclub and the killing of five Dallas police officers to ramp up the militarization and funding of their forces. They do so as growing numbers take to the streets across the United States to charge that it is police who pose a threat to public safety,

“Twenty thousand ballistic helmets will be distributed to all uniformed members of the service assigned to patrol functions,” the statement continued. “Additionally, six thousand heavy ballistic vests, which contain a front and rear level three panel, will be furnished in 3,000 vehicles assigned to patrol duties (two per vehicle).”

The purchases come on top of the more than $320 million that “has been secured to fund a broad spectrum of equipment and training since 2014, including: ballistic vests; helmets and vehicles; tactical escape hoods and belt-worn trauma kits; M4 rifles, OC spray and Tasers; smartphones and tablets; along with a host of training initiatives,”

http://www.alternet.org/grayzone-pro...rize-even-more

irreversible, unstoppable.

Police and HSA are standing domestic armies in the natsec/police state.

When people have power, they always use it (80K SWAT raids per year)

And you rightwingnut gun fellators, 2nd Amendment perverters really think you can "take up arms against the govt" ?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    cops break Freddie Gray's back and paralyze him, he dies in police paddy wagon, nobody guilty, total immunity

Prosecutors Drop All Remaining Charges Against Officers in Freddie Gray Case

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...e-gray-charges

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was arrested for meth, but the crumbs in his car were Krispy Kreme doughnut glaze

An Orlando man was charged with possession of crystal meth with a gun, but a state crime lab proved him right — it was actually glaze from Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

When the man stopped by the 7-Eleven without buying anything and left with an employee in his car, cops were su ious.

Orlando police were staking out the convenience store, 938 W. Colonial Dr., after neighbors complained of drug activity, the Orlando Sentinel reported. Police saw the man in the silver Chevy leave without stopping at the stop sign and speed off going 42 miles per hour in a 30 mph zone, according to the report. They pulled him over.

The officer saw his concealed weapon license, asked to hold onto his gun for safety and had the driver get out of the car. That’s when the veteran officer saw four flakes of a white substance on the floor.

"I recognized through my 11 years of training and experience

as a law enforcement officer the substance to be some sort of narcotic," the officer wrote in her report.

Daniel Rushing was arrested, charged with possession with a weapon, strip-searched and jailed in December.

The 64-year-old Orlando man told officers he’d never done drugs in his life, and the crumbs were from his Krispy Kreme doughnut.
    Weeks later, a state crime lab proved him right.

“I kept telling them, 'That's … glaze from a doughnut. … They tried to say it was crack cocaine at first, then they said, 'No, it's meth, crystal meth," Rushing told the Sentinel.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article92320667.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd gleefully take that case on contingency.
    of course you would. like you would have the cred to leverage better.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Police Officer Arrested 5 Times in One Year, Still on the Force

http://lawnewz.com/crazy/police-offi...-on-the-force/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Database of Texas deaths in custody launched

6,913 to be exact …

died while in the custody of Texas law enforcement over a ten year period.

Six thousand, nine hundred and thirteen.

The Atlantic is reporting that a first-ever database, launched this past Wednesday, lists each death that has occured in the state since 2005. Those deaths can be in the custody of jails or prisons, or they can be at the hands of police, whether the victim had been arrested or not.

This information used to be hard to access, but it’s now readily available in an online database called the Texas Justice Initiative.

“Some family members may not have gotten a full account of how their loved one died, so in that way I feel some responsibility about making the information public,” said Amanda Woog, the postdoctoral legal fellow at the Ins ute for Urban Policy Research and Analysis at the University of Texas at Austin who created it.

When we spoke, she was unsure of what the response to the project, which launched on Wednesday, would be.

But she seemed very optimistic that it would be valuable for policymakers, researchers, journalists, justice administrators, academics, and advocates.

Her main goal was to make the information widely available and easy to access.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/0...28Daily+Kos%29

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas cop says prosecutors silenced him about Sandra Bland case

Officer Michael Kelley says he sought to testify about what he saw during Ms. Bland's arrest last summer in Texas but his account is also questioned by prosecutors

A Texas police officer present during part of Sandra Bland’s arrest last summer has told the Houston Chronicle that the local district attorney’s office declined to allow him to testify before a grand jury about the controversial traffic stop.

The allegations by Prairie View officer Michael Kelley, who said he was told by local prosecutors that his career would suffer if he went public with what he saw of the traffic stop,

But Kelley said the unrelated unlawful arrest charge was leveled against him but none of the other officers involved.

“I was not a target until I started running my mouth and sticking up for Sandra Bland,” Kelley told the Chronicle.

Kelley also told the Chronicle he heard Bland tell Encinia that she suffered from epilepsy, to which the trooper responded “Good.”

But after Bland’s death, he says a Texas Ranger initially told him and another officer to make a report of what he had seen, then told them not to sign or copy the reports, an instruction he told the Chronicle raised “red flags on my end.”

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice...dra-Bland-case

Try to be a Good Cop, and get screwed.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Americans Don't Care About Prison Phone Exploitation, Says FCC Official

Inmates in state and federal correctional facilities have long faced astronomical calling rates—in some cases a whopping $17 per minute or more—thanks to what inmate advocates call “usurious” practices by two companies, Securus Technologies andGlobal Tel*Link, that control the $1.2 billion prison phone market.

Criminal justice reform advocates say these enormous phone costs place a huge financial burden on families who are simply trying to stay in contact with their incarcerated family members. A recent study by a coalition of groups including the Ella Baker Center for Human Rights found that one in three families go into debt because of the high cost of maintaining contact with incarcerated loved ones.

Last October, the FCC approved caps on prison phone rates of 11 cents to 22 cents per minute on both interstate and in-state calls from prisons. That would have reduced average inmate calling costs from $2.96 to $1.65 for a 15-minute in-state call, and from $3.15 to $1.65 for a 15-minute long distance call, according to the agency.

On Thursday, the FCC voted to approve a revised set of prison phone rate caps at 13 cents to 31 cents per minute for both in-state and interstate debit and prepaid phone calls, depending on the size of the facility.

The FCC’s three Democratic commissioners, Tom Wheeler, Jessica Rosenworcel, and Mignon Clyburn, voted in favor of the new rate caps. The agency’s two Republican commissioners, Ajit Pai and Michael O’Rielly, voted against them, citing procedural objections.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/fcc...e-exploitation

Typical Repug less "law and order" bullies, kicking people when they're down (they are probably are in some way compensated paid by Securus, Global Tel, etc). Another case of BigCorp making govt policy to screw Americans.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We finally found out what will get a cop fired — and you won’t believe what it is

intentionally running over a ground hog with a golf cart has resulted in the suspension of the two police officers — with both of them facing firing for the act.

“If in fact this alleged situation happened, I will be recommending they be terminated,” he said. “There is no room in any police agency for a person like this to be carrying a badge and a gun.”

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/08/we-finally-found-out-what-will-get-a-cop-fired-and-you-wont-believe-what-it-is/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaig n=Feed%3A+TheRawStory+%28The+Raw+Story%29

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sheriff Raids House to Find Anonymous Blogger Who Called Him Corrupt

AFTER A WATCHDOG BLOG repeatedly linked him and other local officials to corruption and fraud, the Sheriff of Terrebone Parish in Louisiana on Tuesday sent six deputies to raid a police officer’s home to seize computers and other electronic devices.

Sheriff Jerry Larpenter’s deputies submitted affidavits alleging criminal defamation against the anonymous author of the ExposeDAT blog, and obtained search warrants to seize evidence in the officer’s house and from Facebook.

The officer, Wayne Anderson, works for the police department of Houma, the county seat of Terrebone Parish — and according to New Orleans’ WWL-TV, formerly worked as a Terrebone Sheriff’s deputy.

Anderson was placed on paid leave about an hour and a half after the raid on his house, Jerri Smitko, one of his attorneys, told The Intercept. She said that he has not yet been officially notified about why.

Smitko said Anderson denies that he is the author of ExposeDat.

But free speech advocates say the blogger — whoever he or she is —

is protected by the First Amendment.

“The law is very clear that somebody in their private capacity, on private time, on their own equipment, has a First Amendment right to post about things of public concern,”

Marjorie Esman, director of the ACLU of Louisiana, told The Intercept.

Larpenter told WWL:
    “If you’re gonna lie about me and make it under a fic ious name, I’m gonna come after you.”

https://theintercept.com/2016/08/04/...d-him-corrupt/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    man plotting to murder cops arrested without incident

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2742131

if he was black there's no way he wouldn't been taken in alive

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    man plotting to murder cops arrested without incident

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2742131

if he was black there's no way he wouldn't been taken in alive
    yep, fortunately he wasn't a black guy with thuggish tats, cops hate that .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yep, fortunately he wasn't a black guy with thuggish tats, cops hate that .
    Especially the BB guns, tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Radicals with badges: Mark Potok explains why renegade sheriffs are a growing threat in the U.S.

Some sheriffs are buying into the notion that they have more cons utional authority than the federal government

Right-wing radicals who don’t fully accept the authority of the federal government have a new ally. A small but growing group of law enforcement officials, especially sheriffs, is being won over by radical right-wing propaganda that asserts that local law enforcement has more authority than the federal government to decide what laws are and aren’t cons utional.

I spoke with Mark Potok of the Southern Poverty Law Center about this movementand about his and Ryan Lenz’s research into these self-
    declared “cons utional” sheriffs.

Let’s start with the basics. What is the Cons utional Sheriffs and Peace Officers Association?

The CSPOA is an organization that was formed in 2011 by Richard Mack. Mack is a former Arizona sheriff who was once part of a lawsuit challenging the Brady Bill that was passed under the Clinton administration, and he was actually somewhat successful. He got the courts to agree to not enforce some of the provisions of that bill, and as a result he became a very big hero, a kind of iconic figure, to the militia movement.

The CSPOA is a group that claims “cons utional sheriffs” are sheriffs who obey only the cons ution. Basically what the CSPOA pushes is the idea that sheriffs can decide entirely on their own whether or not a law is cons utional and whether or not they should enforce it.

The CSPOA has also claimed, or suggested, that sheriffs are the highest law enforcement authority in every county and that that means that should they so desire, they can turn back federal agents — FBI agents, ATF agents, and so on — who are coming to conduct law enforcement business in their counties.

While this is a very broad thing, it seems to me a lot of their obsession is with gun control laws.

Well I think that’s true. I think the reason that Mack and CSPOA have gotten some traction among the sheriffs of the country is precisely that they focus very heavily on gun control and the idea that

any kind of gun control, as Mack has been quoted saying, is uncons utional.

That’s clearly false, just as it is false that local sheriffs can order federal agents out of their counties, but this is an idea that animates a lot of people, especially in the western states. So the shocking thing is that Richard Mack and the CSPOA have actually gotten fairly substantial support from a number of sheriffs out there for his really very, very radical ideas.

How many sheriffs out there have really gotten onboard with this notion that they are the highest authority in the land and that they get to decide, not lawyers and judges, what the Cons ution says?

We did a fairly extensive survey. We tried to speak to some 500 sheriffs who Mack, in the past, had essentially complimented to find out did they really agree with these really incredibly radical ideas — that the sheriffs could defy the law of the land and so on.

We didn’t get an awful lot of people willing to talk to us, but between the sheriffs we spoke to, 50 or 60 of them, and the many sheriffs who have been quoted along the same lines in the mass media, I would say, without question, we’re looking probably at several hundred sheriffs.

Should we worry about this movement getting bigger?

Yes. I think the prospect of this movement getting bigger is quite serious. In talking to the many sheriffs that we did, basically what they reported to us was that they were being inundated by propaganda from the CSPOA and a related group, the Oathkeepers.

So there is a very serious effort to spread this movement, which is in effect a kind of

western rebellion against the central authority of the federal government in Washington.

We’ve seen iterations of this before in the wise use movement and the Sagebrush Rebellion and so on, but even those movements, which were fairly radical, were simply trying to see more federal lands returned to local officials’ control. They weren’t

questioning the entire foundation of American law in the same way as CSPOA.

http://www.salon.com/2016/08/09/radicals-with-badges-mark-potok-explains-why-renegade-sheriffs-are-a-growing-threat-in-the-u-s/

ing gun-fellating nutcases, profoundly unCons utional while wrapping themselves in the Cons ution.

btw, this anti-government craziness could be a descendant of the Confederate LOSERS who left the South after the Civil War to go out West, taking their hate of Federal Yankees with them.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chicago police have released video of their latest atrocity, wherein a swarm of panicked cops chased and wildly fired at a stolen vehicle before shooting in the back and killing its fleeing driver Paul O'Neal, who was black, 18 and unarmed.

O’Neal was killed July 28 after allegedly crashing a stolen Jaguar into two officers and running away on foot.

The video, including dash-cam and body-camera footage, was released by Chicago’s Independent Police Review Authority.

It
    shows a chaotic scene: Cursing officers randomly shooting at a distant car down the street where other cops stand, thus putting them in harm's way and violating policy; over 15 shots fired though officers said it was about five; cops lumbering after the suspect with guns drawn and no idea where he is.

The cop who took the fatal shot is alternately belligerent and confused, handcuffing and shouting at the bleeding O'Neal already lying on the ground, “Get down! Hands behind your back!

You shot at us, motherf–ker!” even as other cops suggest actually he didn't; the shooter cop worries,

" , I’m going to be on desk duty now" and "I'm going to be ing crucified, bro," while one of his brothers in blue reassures him,

"Relax, he was in a hot car. Nothing to worry about."

Because, duh, the
    punishment for stealing a car is death.

http://www.commondreams.org/further/2016/08/09/fighting-people-six-feet-under

punishment for stealing a car WHILE BLACK is death.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Department of Justice: Baltimore cops “coerced sex in exchange for immunity from arrest”

http://www.vox.com/2016/8/10/1242921...ual-misconduct

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the police are highly trained, responsible marksmen, always in full control of the guns.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    damn, even the #bluelivesmatter grandma's are becoming victims

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chicago school guard handcuffs 6-year-old because she stole a piece of candy: lawsuit

WLS also reported that the guard was reportedly fired from his position and designated as “do not hire” in his personnel file.

However, it is unclear whether police investigated the alleged encounter.

“It’s not about the lawsuit,” said Wordlow. “It’s about letting people know you can’t treat children like that. She’s only six.”

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/08/chic...e+Raw+Story%29

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SET TO STUN

Children are being Tasered by school-based police officers. No one knows how often it’s happening or what impact it’s having on students.

This is one of at least 84 incidents of children being Tasered or shot with a stun gun by a school police officer since September 2011, according to media reports tracked by The Huffington Post. The number is a gross underestimation because not every incident is reported, and no state or federal organization track how often children are zapped at schools. The children, who were all hit by a Taser or stun gun by school-based police officers, also called school resource officers, were 12 to 19 years old when the incidents occurred.

They were shocked by a Taser or stun gun for mouthing off to a police officer. For trying to run from the principal’s office. For, at the age of 12,getting into a fight with another girl.

“I didn’t even know they allow police officers to do those things to children,” Grice said. “When I was growing up, we had school fights. We got suspended or what have you. That was then. It was never no Tasering or handcuffs or fingerprinting.”

It can be medically risky to stun a child with an electrical weapon, especially if that child isn’t fully grown.

The jolts of electricity puts them at greater risk for cardiac arrest, said Dr. Zian Tseng, a cardiologist and cardiac electrophysiologist at the University of California in San Francisco who has studied the impact of Tasers.

“It is a potentially lethal weapon, and it should be treated as such,” Tseng said.

Being Tasered by a school resource officer can also traumatize a child psychologically.

Such an incident can make it harder for children to trust authority figures, according to Linda Fleming McGhee, a clinical psychologist in Chevy Chase, Maryland, who specializes in treating children who have experienced trauma.

“It might make a child believe that they are a ‘bad person,’” she said, because the people who get Tasered by the police, at least in a child’s eyes, are typically people who are not good people.

Seeing themselves this way can lower their self-esteem and self-confidence.

http://data.huffingtonpost.com/2016/...-police/tasers

The militarized police state is totally out of control, totally unaccountable, and there's no stopping it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Privately Operated Prisons Are Less Safe for Prisoners and More Punitive, Justice Department Says

Inmates at these 14 contract prisons, the only centers in the federal prison system that are privately operated, were nine times more likely to be placed on lockdown than inmates at other federal prisons and were frequently subjected to arbitrary solitary confinement.

In two of the three contract prisons investigators routinely visited, new inmates were automatically placed in solitary confinement as a way of combating overcrowding, rather than for disciplinary issues.

The review also found that contract prison inmates were more likely to complain about medical care, treatment by prison staff and about the quality of food.

Contract prisons almost exclusively incarcerate low-risk inmates convicted of immigration offenses. These facilities house around 22,000 individuals, mostly deemed “low risk”, at an annual cost of $600m.

They are operated by three private companies:

Geo Group,

Corrections Corporation of America (CCA), and

Management and Training Corporation (MTC).

http://www.truthdig.com/eartothegrou...+the+Headlines

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Smh

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Always carry, but avoid that in the first place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Always carry, but avoid that in the first place.
    Why do they hate auto parts and gas stations?

Thread Information