Page 84 of 150 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894134 ... LastLast
Results 2,076 to 2,100 of 3728
    Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well the good news is they stopped him from rolling a blunt in his car.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ‘It doesn’t jive’: Ex-LAPD sergeant slams Charlotte police’s story about killing Keith Scott

retired Los Angeles Police Department Sergeant Cheryl Dorsey said that there are serious holes in the story by Charlotte Police Chief Kerr Putney’s explanation as to why officers shot Keith Lamont Scott last Tuesday.

“The video is not conclusive with regard to what the officers’ statements are,” Dorsey said. She said that she did not observe any “furtive movements” on Scott’s part, nor any evidence of criminal activity serious enough to warrant the officers leaving their previous post, donning police vests and moving in for an arrest.

“This thing could have been handled so differently,” (but this how the cops, esp slave state cops, "handle" knitters)

the fact that they say he’s brandishing a weapon in an open carry state and the fact that the officers are now saying that they observed him roll a joint is problematic for me.”

how these officers were able from their position seated in their car to see Mr. Scott rolling a joint and

then conclude that’s criminal activity occurring that’s

so egregious and outrageous that they need to leave their post and deal with that.”

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/09/it-d...e+Raw+Story%29

"problematic". WTF? is something a problem? or not

"there is an issue" WTF is something a problem? or not

ing rounded-off, dumbed-down weasel words.

"office-involved shooting" how was the officer involved ?as target or shooter? no, the ing officer shot somebody

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ex-LAPD Cop: Charlotte Police 'Escalated the Situation' and Are Pushing a 'False Narrative' About Keith Scott

"I think that police department is almost in a lose-lose situation, because whatever they produce at this point is going to be suspect."

why the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department waited so long to release body camera video of the Scott shooting and why they only released part of the video in their possession.

“Well, I believe there’s something on that video that may be unsettling,” Dorsey replied. “Not only to the community but to the family if they were to see it in its entirety.”

“They’re going to throw buckets of (taxpayer) money at the family. There will be no substantive change in the way their officers do business. And this will go on until we have the next Keith Scott or Philando Castile or Sandra Bland. That’s why everybody is so frustrated.”

officers can only use lethal force “of a type that is commensurate with what type of resistance a suspect is producing.” If an officer is faced with a suspect who may fire, they have a right and a duty, she said, to stop them.

“It seems the officers escalated that situation, and are now creating a false narrative,”

http://www.alternet.org/human-rights/ex-lapd-cop-charlotte-police-escalated-situation-and-are-pushing-false-narrative-about

she's a woman and a knitter, so of course she can't trusted or respected or unbiased.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was intrigued by this Charlotte protest, so I found this video of the shooting and I`ve got questions, maybe someone knows the anwers:
    1. Why was there so much police ? Who called them ?
    2. Why this guy didn`t drop his guy, when he was surrounded by armed police and was called to do it like a dozen times ?
    3. Why do you protest by robbing a shop ?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man Arrested For Parodying Police Department's Facebook Page Sues City, PD Over Rights Violations

Because an Ohio police department couldn't handle being (momentarily) mocked, it's now being sued by the man officers arrested after he created a spoof of the department's Facebook page.

Earlier this year, Anthony Novak parodied the Parma (OH) Police Department's Facebook page, posting obviously fake announcements from the faux department like the following:

The Parma Civil Service Commission will conduct a written exam for basic Police Officer for the City of Parma to establish an eligibility list.

The exam will be held on March 12, 2016. Applications are available February 14, 2016, through March 2, 2016. Parma is an equal opportunity employer but is strongly encouraging minorities to not apply.

The test will consist of a 15 question multiple choice definition test followed by a hearing test.

Should you pass you will be accepted as an officer of the Parma Police Department.

Other postings not quite as charming, but definitely as fake, included announcements of the PD's new roving abortion van, a "Pedophile Reform event," plans to arrest anyone caught outside between noon and 9 pm, and a ban on feeding the homeless to better serve the city's plan to eradicate the problem through starvation.

Novak did copy the department's logo and the Facebook page did look similar… right up until readers read the posts, or noticed the fake department's motto: "We No Crime."

Rather than leave this in Facebook's hands (or just leave it alone altogether), the Parma police decided to greet the situation head on. It came up with a charge to use to go after Novak: use of a computer to "disrupt, interrupt or impair" police services. Then it went after him, mustering far more force than would seem to be necessary to handle a bogus Facebook page. Jacob Sullum of Reason recaps the stupidity.

Parma police...launched an investigation that involved at least seven officers, a subpoena and three search warrants, and

a raid on Novak's apartment, during which the cops surprised his roommate on the toilet and seized two hard drives, a laptop, two tablets, two cellphones, and two video game systems.

After his arrest on March 25, Novak spent four days in jail before he got out on bail, and then he had to report weekly to a probation officer if he wanted to keep his freedom.

The charge was obviously bogus. Statements made in defense of the PD's actions mainly focused on the derogatory nature of the posts.

But very little was said about how a Facebook page that was up for less than two days and gathered only 300 followers made it more difficult for the police to continue servicing the community.

It would seem the diversion of seven officers to a stupid investigation with obvious Cons utional implications would be far more disruptive to public service.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...olations.shtml

small s and thin skins make for wonderful police warriors for warring on citizens.

Last edited by boutons_deux; 09-26-2016 at 05:56 PM.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just read this race soldier quit. Hopefully he gets charged.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Across US, police officers abuse confidential databases

Police officers across the country misuse confidential law enforcement databases to get information on romantic partners, business associates, neighbors, journalists and others for reasons that have nothing to do with daily police work,

systems also can be exploited by officers who, motivated by romantic quarrels, personal conflicts or voyeuristic curiosity, sidestep policies and sometimes the law by snooping. In the most egregious cases, officers have used information to stalk or harass, or have tampered with or sold records they obtained.

law enforcement officers and employees who misused databases were fired, suspended or resigned more than 325 times between 2013 and 2015. They received reprimands, counseling or lesser discipline in more than 250 instances

"It's personal. It's your address. It's all your information, it's your Social Security number, it's everything about you,"

"And when they use it for ill purposes to commit crimes against you — to stalk you, to follow you, to harass you ... it just becomes so dangerous."

the worst violations profoundly abuses systems that supply vital information on criminal suspects and law-abiding citizens alike. The unauthorized searches demonstrate how even old-fashioned policing tools are ripe for abuse,

Some departments produced no records at all. Some states refused to disclose the information, said they don't comprehensively track misuse or produced records too incomplete or unclear to be counted.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/699236946e3140659fff8a2362e16f43/ap-across-us-police-officers-abuse-confidential-databases

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Knitter slaughtering update...

Court Dumps Cops' Complaint They Were Unfairly Treated After Shooting Two Unarmed Suspects 47 Times

In 2012, Cleveland police officers engaged in perhaps the most one-sided "shootout" ever with two suspects at the tail end of an (unauthorized) police chase. By the time it was over, officers had fired 139 bullets into a vehicle they had trapped in a school parking lot.

Twenty-three of those hit the driver. Twenty-four hit the passenger. Both vehicle occupants were killed.

One officer -- Michael Brelo -- apparently thought he was starring in his own action film. He unloaded 49 rounds in just over 20 seconds while standing on the hood of the stopped vehicle.

All told, more than 75 Cleveland PD vehicles joined the chase/shooting.

At the end of a yearlong investigation, 63 officers were suspended for their participation. Six officers were charged.

The genesis of the horrific debacle was nothing more than a car backfiring. One cop mistook this for a gunshot and all broke loose. No weapons were recovered from the vehicle.

One of the stranger offshoots of the infamous shootings was a lawsuit filed by several Cleveland police officers who took part in the chase. In their view, they were punished more harshly than African American officers who also participated in the unauthorized pursuit.

Their original argument was more than a little depressing.

The officers - eight white officers and one Hispanic - claim the department has a history of treating non-black officers who shoot black residents "more harshly" than black officers involved in shootings, according to the lawsuit…

Apparently, the Cleveland PD shoots enough black residents that a pattern of discrimination can be discerned. And, apparently enough officers walk away unscathed from shootings that the worst thing complained about is longer suspensions, not actual firings or criminal charges.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...47-times.shtml

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know if I can watch this one

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Graphic video showing fatal police shooting of 6-year-old boy released as murder trial evidence

the head of the Louisiana State Police said the video was the most disturbing thing he’s seen.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2971599/video-showing-police-accused-of-killing-6-year-old-boy-released-as-murder-trial-evidence/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Graphic video showing fatal police shooting of 6-year-old boy released as murder trial evidence

the head of the Louisiana State Police said the video was the most disturbing thing he’s seen.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2971599/video-showing-police-accused-of-killing-6-year-old-boy-released-as-murder-trial-evidence/

#alllivesmatter and #bluelivesmatter have been very quiet about this shooting. BLM is the only organization condemning the shooting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A sad case and both officers are being charged with murder.

The system appears to be working.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    #alllivesmatter and #bluelivesmatter have been very quiet about this shooting. BLM is the only organization condemning the shooting.
    They were indicted by a grand jury. Should I burn down my neighbor's house as a symbol of my solidarity?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scary. The 6 year old killed was autistic. Still no word from #all livesmatter or #blue livesmatter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scary. The 6 year old killed was autistic. Still no word from #all livesmatter or #blue livesmatter.
    What do you want them to say? The deputies are rightfully being prosecuted for murder. The system normally works if you give it a chance.

Should they go loot a Walmart in protest?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ‘Do Not Resist': A chilling look at the normalization of warrior cops

The haunting thing about the new policing do entary “Do Not Resist” is what it doesn’t show. There are no images of cops beating people. No viral videos of horrifying shootings. Sure, there are scenes from the Ferguson protests in which riot cops deploy tear gas. But there’s no blood, no Tasings, no death. Yet when it was over, I had to force myself to exhale.

What makes this movie so powerful is its terrifying portrayal of the mundanities of modern policing.
    -- more -->>

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do you want them to say? The deputies are rightfully being prosecuted for murder. The system normally works if you give it a chance.

Should they go loot a Walmart in protest?
    http://reason.com/archives/2012/10/1...-enforcement-m

Not so much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What might ninth graders be taught about interactions with law enforcement that could prevent police from shooting as many of them later on?

That's the question posed by Sen. John Whitmire's suggestion that they be "taught how to properly interact with police when they are stopped for traffic violations or if they are detained," as the Houston Chronicle's Mike Ward reported on Thursday.

Senate Criminal Justice Committee Chairman John Whitmire, D-Houston, said his proposed legislation would require the Texas Education Agency to develop curriculum "in law enforcement duties and interaction."

If eventually approved by the Legislature, the law would be the first of its kind in Texas.

"There is no home team or visiting team. We must all come together to develop the best strategies to improve relations and trust between law enforcement and the communities they serve," Whitmire said. "Increased training and education for both peace officers and our students will help foster positive relations and interactions."
    Students should be taught that police can arrest them for petty offenses, like Sandra Bland's failure-to-signal-a-lane change, at the officer's discretion, even when the law envisions no jail time as punishment for the offense. (Gov. Rick Perry vetoed legislation in 2001 to limit such arrests, but Republican state Sen. Konni Burton, who is on Chairman Whitmire's Criminal Justice Committee, has vowed to carry a newer, beefed up version in 2017. So if that passed, students could be informed in the new curriculum that they cannot be arrested for Class C misdemeanors, or whatever the rule turns out to be.)

It's true the safest time to take up an officer's misbehavior is after the fact; confronting it at the time could get you tazed, beaten, or shot. But will students be taught how seldom officers are held accountable after citizen complaints, even when there's video? In Austin, for example, "Less than 5 percent of the complaints from the public resulted in officer discipline," an audit found. The Statesman's recent look at DPS showed none of the racial profiling complaints from the public were found to be justified by the agency, even though video posted by the Statesman showed drivers being treated with open disrespect. We shouldn't advise people to complain without also telling them complaints tend to be fruitless. The purpose here should be to educate students, not propagandize them.

A curriculum which taught students the legal limits of their personal rights when interacting with police might be useful, but only if it empowers students to END interactions with police as soon as possible and explains why that's always in their personal best interests when being questioned without a lawyer. Teaching them to "comply" cannot mean "comply with questioning." Drivers must submit to short-term detention if they're pulled over but they're under no obligation to explain where they're coming from, where they're going, what they're doing, consent to a search, etc.. If the curriculum does not acknowledge those limitations on officers' ability to enforce compliance and ignores drivers' civil liberties in favor of emphasizing cops' authority, it won't solve the problem and may make it worse.
    http://gritsforbreakfast.blogspot.co...raders-so.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chicago Police Bosses Targeted Cops Who Exposed Corruption
    https://theintercept.com/2016/10/06/...ed-corruption/

Excerpt:
    SPALDING AND ECHEVERRIA’S account of the retaliation they endured after joining the fugitive apprehension unit is corroborated by an affidavit and deposition provided in their case by Officer Janet Hanna. Now retired, Hanna was the personal administrator for Cmdr. Joseph Salemme and Lt. Robert Cesario of fugitives. She stated that before Spalding and Echeverria joined fugitives, Cesario warned his administrative staff in the unit that they were “IAD rats” and should not be trusted. He told sergeants under his command, in her words, “to instruct their teams of officers to not provide any backup for Shannon or Danny and to not work with them at all.” Further, Hanna stated that Cesario ordered her to give them only dead-end cases that would not result in arrests, that he personally reviewed their assignments, and that he instructed her to destroy their overtime requests. She also testified that they were denied access to the databases required to do their jobs.On June 20, 2012, Spalding and Echeverria were ordered to meet with their direct supervisors — Sgt. Maurice Barnes, Cesario, and Salemme. Cesario informed them they were being taken off the task force because they had too few arrests and priority cases. When Spalding and Echeverria challenged Cesario about their lack of activity, Spalding recounted to me, Salemme demanded to know whether they were working for internal affairs. “You brought this baggage on yourselves,” he said. “You want to investigate bosses, you want to put bosses in jail, you should have known this would happen to you.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    POLICE, n. An armed force for protection and participation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information