Page 85 of 150 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995135 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 3730
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why the police union supports Trash The Misogynist Groper?

Cop's Own Dash Cam Catches Him Pulling Over and Raping Multiple Women While On Duty

more than 9 percent of reports of police misconduct in 2010 involved sexual abuse, making it the second-most reported form of misconduct, after the use of excessive force.

Comparing that data to FBI crime statistics indicates that
    sexual assault rates are significantly higher for police when compared to the general population.”

A short google search will reveal the near epidemic of police rape that takes place in the United States.
    Not only is sexual assault higher among cops, but it also largely goes unpunished.
    Police sexual misconduct is so common that more than 1,000 officers have had their licenses revoked in just the last six years for it, that we know about — nearly half of them involving underage victims. However, only a small fraction of those officers received jail time.
    http://www.alternet.org/human-rights/cops-own-dash-cam-catches-him-pulling-over-and-raping-multiple-women-while-duty

CosmicParasite loves him some cops.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Confirmed: UK police forces own IMSI grabbers, but keeping schtum on use

CCDC is for 'Covert Communications Data Capture'

How do they work?

The devices exploit a long-known security shortcoming in the Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM) standards.

While GSM was developed by the European Telecommunications Standards Ins ute (ETSI) as a secure means of wireless communication,

the specifications require the mobile device to authenticate itself to the network using its IMSI (International Mobile
    Subscriber Iden y) – but do not require the network to authenticate itself to the mobile device.

This vulnerability makes it very difficult for mobile device users to defend against malicious actors who seek to spoof the network itself.

because of this, many critics say that if the State is seeking to exploit this vulnerability rather than attempting to see it patched, it is a failure in its duty of care.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/10...hers_revealed/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    is that a mitigating cir stance?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yep, drug use, like mental illness, justifies immediate murder by the police.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    is that a mitigating cir stance?
    Absolutely.
    No doubt contributed to his erratic behavior including parking way over the middle line on a two lane hiway.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Absolutely.
    No doubt contributed to his erratic behavior including parking way over the middle line on a two lane hiway.
    ... which posed a direct, mortal threat to the cops standing dozens of feet away.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 10-12-2016 at 09:28 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ... which posed a direct, mortal threat to the cops standing dozens of feet away.
    That hasn't been established yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Osama bin Laden is laughing his ass off, as his cheapo attack provokes insane overreaction

When Minority Report Becomes New Yorkers' Reality

Tucked into Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s presentation on his $100 billion plan to invest in the state’s infrastructure last week was an initiative that will put New Yorkers’ privacy in peril.

Part of Cuomo’s plan to “reimagine New York’s crossings for the 21st century” calls for installing controversial advanced cameras, license plate readers, and facial recognition technology in New York’s airports and other transportation hubs. The plan also will install sensors and cameras at “structurally sensitive” points on bridges and tunnels.

This is a transformative surveillance system — one that has the potential to put thousands and thousands of people's images and data in a massive database

A SWAT team in Kansas raided Harte’s house where his wife, 7-year-old daughter, and 13-year-old son lived

based in part on the mass monitoring of cars parked at a gardening store.

Harte was held at gunpoint for two hours while cops combed through his home.

The police were looking for a marijuana growing operation.

They did not find that or any other evidence of criminal activity in Harte’s house.

http://www.commondreams.org/views/20...orkers-reality

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A journalist arrested for filming a Dakota Access protest could face more prison time than Edward Snowden.

Schlosberg reportedly faces three felony conspiracy charges.

If convicted, she could be sentenced to 45 years in prison. To put that in perspective:

In the eyes of the legal system, spilling the NSA’s secrets is less reprehensible than doing a journalist’s job.

http://grist.org/briefly/hurricane-matthew-swept-away-the-bank-accounts-of-2-1-million-haitians/

The Law: just another fundamental part of America that is ed and un able.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uvalde County Jail releases murder suspect due to medical expenses

http://www.kens5.com/news/politics/u...nses/335926769

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in red/slave states, so very Christian, anything goes

Man Gets Just 60 Days for Raping His 12-Year-Old Daughter

A 40-year-old Montana man had sex with his 12-year-old daughter in 2015.

That’s a fact. He pleaded guilty to felony incest in front of a Valley County judge. And with the prosecutor recommending a 100-year prison sentence

reasoning for the sentence is that the man had a lot of support from the community, including family (the girl’s mother and grandmother), friends, church, and current employer.

And a social worker had testified that the man was at a low-risk of re-offending.

the man only admitted to one instance of felony incest. However, at least one other was mentioned in testimony and in a risk-assessment by a social worker

http://lawnewz.com/high-profile/why-man-only-got-60-days-for-molesting-12-year-old-daughter/

If he were black ... in Montana.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Standing Rock Protectors Strip-Searched, Jailed for Days on Minor Charges

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/3...-minor-charges

When law enforcement is on BigCarbon's side against dissent, abuse the law to abuse the dissenters.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 10-18-2016 at 04:22 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop Quiz on Fourth Amendment and the criminalization of the normal

Pop Quiz from the Texas Seventh Court of Appeals: Which of the following are NOT an indicia of drug trafficking under Texas law?

• Breathing.
    • Having two hands.
    • Driving a clean vehicle.
    • Looking at a peace officer.
    • Looking away from a peace officer.
    • A young person driving a newer vehicle.
    • Driving in a car with meal wrappers.
    • Driving carefully.
    • Driving on an interstate.

The answer, according to a majority opinion from the Seventh Court of Appeals written by Chief Justice Brian Quinn, is that
    only the first two cannot be considered su ious behavior that justifies an investigative detention

according to Texas courts.

the majority opinion is quite a read, lamenting that "most anything can be considered indicia of drug trafficking to law enforcement personnel."

Justice's Quinn's open criticism of too-broad reasonable su ion categories justifying excessive roadside detention is well deserved.

The opinion insists that officers not just list otherwise legal activities and call them su ion but explain why those legal activities suggest illegality.

In effect, the process utilized by the deputy to justify the continued detention of appellant likens to that used in profiling.

Again, the articulable facts he recited as cons uting reasonable su ion are not inherently criminal.

To give them significance, the deputy searched his "knowledge, training, and experience."

The breadth of that "knowledge, training, and experience" was explained by no one.

Nevertheless, from it he formed various opinions about what does and does not look like su ious activity. ...

That is problematic since the opinions appear over generalized in some instances, e.g., nervousness, the use of masking agents, and the presence of a rental vehicle.

In others, they may have been based upon facts different from those at bar, e.g., windows that could not open indicating the presence of contraband.

While in others, they may have simply been derived from his personal viewpoint, e.g., driving 75 mph on an Interstate with windows down.

Each indicia at bar could have significance or not. It was dependent upon the State and deputy to explain why they did.

Merely offering conclusory opinions derived from an unknown data base does not instill us with confidence about their reliability and accuracy.

As stated in Ford v. State (citation omitted), "[m]ere opinions are ineffective subs utes for specific, articulable facts in a reasonable su ion analysis."

Without proof of their substantive reliability they are not enough to raise the totality of the cir stances before us to the level of reasonable su ion.

Grits expects prosecutors immediately to appeal this to the Court of Criminal Appeals.

http://gritsforbreakfast.blogspot.co...dment-and.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Feds Use Search Warrant To Make Everyone In Building UnFeds Use Search Warrant To Make Everyone In Building Unlock Their Phoneslock Their Phones

warrant included language authorizing investigators to

“depress the fingerprints and thumbprints of every person who is located at the SUBJECT PREMISES during the execution of the search and

who is reasonably believed by law enforcement to be the user of a fingerprint sensor-enabled device that is located at the SUBJECT PREMISES and falls within the scope of the warrant.”

In other words: with that warrant,

cops can walk a house or apartment building and

demand literally everyone inside immediately use their fingerprints to unlock their phones for inspection.

To search the entire contents every single device, whether it belongs to an identified suspect or not, that may exist at the search location.

Experts Forbes consulted found the scope and language of the warrant to be shockingly broad.

“They want the ability to get a warrant on the assumption that they will learn more after they have a warrant,”

one attorney told Forbes.

Another, from the EFF, told Forbes that usually,

“It’s not enough for a government to just say we have a warrant to search this house and therefore this person should unlock their phone.

The government needs to say specifically what information they expect to find on the phone, how that relates to criminal activity and I would argue they need to set up a way to access only the information that is relevant to the investigation.”

https://consumerist.com/2016/10/19/f...-their-phones/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The perpetual lineup: Half of US adults in a face-recognition database

In this virtual lineup, you're scanned despite not being suspected of a crime.

"By using face recognition to scan the faces on 26 states' driver's license and ID photos, police and the FBI have basically enrolled half of all adults in a massive virtual line-up.

This has never been done for fingerprints or DNA. It's uncharted and frankly dangerous territory."

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...tion-database/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what could go wrong?

Never let it be said law enforcement won't get their man. Even if it's the wrong man. And even if they do it twice.

This was Denver native Steven Talley's first experience with the local PD.

It was just after sundown when a man knocked on Steve Talley’s door in south Denver. The man claimed to have hit Talley’s silver Jeep Cherokee and asked him to assess the damage. So Talley, wearing boxers and a tank top, went outside to take a look.

Seconds later, he was knocked to the pavement outside his house. Flash bang grenades detonated, temporarily blinding and deafening him. Three men dressed in black jackets, goggles, and helmets repeatedly hit him with batons and the butts of their guns. He remembers one of the men telling him, “So you like to with my brothers in blue!” while another stood on his face and cracked two of his teeth. “You’ve got the wrong guy,” he remembers shouting. “You guys are crazy.”

Talley was driven to a Denver detention center, where he was booked for two bank robberies — the first on May 14 and the second on September 5, 2014, 10 days before his arrest — and for assaulting an officer during the second robbery.

Surveillance camera footage from the robbed banks had been circulated. Acquaintances and Talley's estranged ex-wife asserted that the man shown was Talley. Using these statements, the Denver PD moved forward with its particularly brutal arrest, one that left Talley with multiple injuries.

In the months that followed, a series of medical exams revealed that Talley had sustained several injuries on the night of his arrest, including a broken sternum, several broken teeth, four ruptured disks, blood clots in his right leg, nerve damage in his right ankle, and a possibly fractured penis.

Talley was held for two months until recordings made by his employer showed he was at his desk on sales calls during the time the May robbery took place. He was released and charges were dropped. But investigators still didn't have the right suspect in custody. So they turned the footage over to the FBI, which put one of its facial recognition experts on the case.

The detective assigned to Talley’s case, Jeffery Hart, had requested that an FBI facial examiner manually compare stills from the banks’ grainy surveillance videos to several pictures of Talley — a tall, broad-shouldered white man with short blond hair, mild blue eyes, and a square jaw.

The FBI analysis concluded that Talley’s face did not match the May robber’s, but that he and the September robber shared multiple corresponding characteristics, including the shape of the head, chin, jaw line, mole marks, and ear features. “The questioned individual depicted” in the September images, the report concluded, “appears to be Talley.”

"Appears." That was enough to justify putting Talley through this whole nightmarish experience again. Talley was arrested again, under the new law enforcement theory that the robberies had been committed by two different men, both of whom resembled Talley enough to have him arrested twice.
    https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...me-crime.shtml

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fortunately they broke the wrong white Guy's penis, however that is accomplished.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The horrifying behavior of Anita Alvarez, Chicago's head prosecutor

Alvarez is known as one of the worst prosecutors in the country. Here are just a few of the dozens of stories of misconduct and bad behavior in Alvarez’s office.

SCOTUS says that sentencing children to life without parole is cruel and unusual punishment. Alvarez recommends it anyway.

A witness recants his testimony in a murder trial and gets charged with perjury.

A witness recants his testimony in a murder trial and gets charged with perjury.

Cop murders Laquan McDonald. Alvarez takes a year to charge him.

Alvarez undercharged the cop that murdered Rekia Boyd and then purposefully tanked the case—all because she wanted to continue getting campaign donations from police unions.

Man convicted of murder was actually in jail at the time of the crime. Prosecutors failed to disclose evidence proving his innocence. Alvarez thinks that’s just fine.

Judge called prosecutor's behavior "deeply troubling," threw out murder conviction.

Students at Northwestern's journalism school freed wrongly convicted men, so Alvarez subpoenaed their grades and personal emails.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/1...ead-prosecutor

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Houston DA covered up the destruction of 21,000 pieces of evidence—and now she wants your vote

The district attorney of Harris County is currently mired in a scandal that once again indicates she is not fit to lead.

District Attorney Devon Anderson knew in February that Harris County Deputy Chris Hess had destroyed 21,000 pieces of evidence, including evidence in pending cases. But she didn't say a word until August, when she realized that the story was about to become public.

Instead, she sat quietly as her prosecutors tried cases where critical evidence had been compromised or destroyed completely.

Once Anderson was caught, she decided to finally be honest about the thousands of pieces of destroyed evidence.

S
    he announced early last month that 142 cases would be thrown out and over 1,000 could be compromised. That number could easily increase. At least one report stated that, in Hess's January dump alone,

861 pieces of the destroyed evidence were connected to 470 open cases.

And the
    Houston Press reports that her office “has sent letters to about 600 defendants who were convicted or took plea deals in cases where evidence has been lost—raising the possibility that more suspects could be freed.”

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016...another-debate

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cops brutalize black off-duty officer after profiling him for crime he didn’t commit

An off-duty police officer based out of D.C. was thrown to the ground and hit in the head by Prince George’s County police officers because he fit a description of a shooting suspect vaguely described as a black male wearing a hoodie and blue jeans.

Off-duty police officer Robert Parker was walking away from a nearby mall where a man had been shot and wounded just minutes before. A police officer pulled up beside him, threw him to the ground, and punched him in the head despite Parker passively complying to all commands and attempting to identify himself as a fellow officer.

“He walked up to me and he started patting me down and I’m just thinking, is this really happening? Because I know the protocol because I’m a police officer,” Parker said in an interview with FOX 5.

“He reaches around and feels my sidearm, my firearm and I look at him and I see the look in his eye and I say, ‘I’m the police.’ I’m literally slammed. I went to the ground, I kept saying, ‘I’m the police, I’m the police.’

There were two other officers there. I felt their presence and they placed me in handcuffs, and then somebody hit me in the right side of my face.”

http://usuncut.com/news/cops-brutali...-didnt-commit/

the cops

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    10,000 Files on Chicago Police Torture Are Now Online

Q: “So they beat you until you urinated on yourself and defecated on yourself?”

A: “Yes.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...online/504233/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    American Indians killed by cops at highest rate in the nation, but they're invisible in the media

investigative piece on the killings of American Indians by cops published Monday

Like the slayings of so many African Americans killed by police, the deaths of many of them could have easily been avoided by smarter, more compassionate and less trigger-happy cops. And, as is so often the case in matters relating to living indigenous Americans, these dead men and women were invisible. Most didn’t show up in the media or the statistics.

SUQUAMISH TRIBE DESCENDANT JEANETTA RILEY, A 34-YEAR-OLD MOTHER OF FOUR, LAY FACEDOWN ON A SANDPOINT, IDAHO, STREET.

One minute earlier, three police officers had arrived, summoned by staff at a nearby hospital. Her husband had sought help there because

Riley—homeless, pregnant and with a history of mental illness—was threatening suicide.

Riley had a knife in her right hand and was sitting in the couple’s parked van.

Wearing body armor and armed with an assault rifle and Glock pistols, the officers quickly closed in on Riley—one moving down the sidewalk toward the van, the other two crossing the roadway. They shouted instructions at her—to walk toward them, show them her hands. Cursing them, she refused.

“Drop the knife!” they yelled, advancing, then opened fire.

They pumped two shots into her chest and another into her back as she fell to the pavement.

Fifteen seconds had elapsed from the time they exited their vehicles.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/1...28Daily+Kos%29

http://inthesetimes.com/features/nat...es_matter.html

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/10/21/1585414/-American-Indians-killed-by-cops-at-highest-rate-in-the-nation-but-they-re-invisible-in-the-media?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_ca mpaign=Feed%3A+dailykos%2Findex+%28Daily+Kos%29

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An obscure disaster-relief law was used to clear the Dakota Access camp.

it is also being activated to quell dissent.

Riot-clad police arrested 141 people Thursday for what the local sheriff says is trespassing on private property near a local highway. As EcoWatch, DeSmog, and local outlets point out, North Dakota Governor Jack Dalrymple

used EMAC to bring in law enforcement from six states to clear the encampment near construction for the Dakota Access pipeline.

The mutual aid law was also used in Baltimore in 2015 following Black Lives Matter protests mourning the death of Freddie Gray.

EMAC was even used ahead of anticipated protests at the Republican National Convention, resulting in the deployment of an additional 5,500 cops from across the country to Cleveland this summer.

http://grist.org/briefly/an-obscure-...a-access-camp/

And the "patriotic" militia men think they are going fight the militarized police.

Thread Information