Page 87 of 150 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197137 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,175 of 3730
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ‘I was beaten like a slave’: Tearful ex-law officer describes white cops brutalizing him during bogus arrest

A retired Nassau County corrections officer says he was “physically abused, beaten, and treated like a slave” when Garden City Police arrested him at a Western Beef Supermarket last week,

“For somebody to grab me by the neck in the supermarket, and I’m telling you, ‘I’m one of you,’ and you disrespect it — it was like you’re just another Black dude.”

Lanier told the press cops laughed when he said he was a retired corrections officer. He was then thrown into the back of a squad car before being released without an apology.

Lanier and his lawyer Fred Brewington are suing the Garden City Police over his treatment.

“When you don’t have a good description, you don’t just start scooping up black people,” Brewington said at the press conference.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/12/i-wa...e+Raw+Story%29

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Burton files bill to end Class C arrests like Sandra Bland's

the proposal should draw strong bipartisan support. Indeed, that part should be fun:

This is one of those issues which separates wheat from chaff in both parties:

It divides Republicans who
    really want less government from those who just talk a good game.

And it flushes out all the Dems whose fealty to "civil rights" ends at voting rights but somehow never extends to the 4th, 5th, and 6th Amendments if the police unions complain.?

http://gritsforbreakfast.blogspot.co...d-class-c.html

But Patrick's priority isn't restraining police, it's the transgender bathroom bill, as if he never heard of NC and McCrory.

I'd love to see him pass it and the NCAA cancel Final Four.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nevada school police officer shoots student

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ne...e=domesticNews

anybody wanna guess whether the student was armed?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NYPD lies about surveillance of Black Lives Matter demonstrators — Refuses to release records

The NYPD argued during a Dec. 7 New York Supreme Court hearing that it should not have to release records of its surveillance of the Black Lives Matter movement, Mass Appeal reports.
    An activist affiliated with the Black Lives Matter movement filed a Freedom of Information request to obtain NYPD surveillance records from a series of daily actions at Grand Central Terminal between November 2014 and January 2015.

At that time, Black Lives Matter organizers were protesting the police killings of Eric Garner and Michael Brown.

In public court papers, the NYPD admitted to surveilling Black Lives Matter activists and collecting recorded communications and multimedia records.

The activist who requested the records reportedly witnessed MTA and Metro-North officers, and NYPD taking photographs and videos of the demonstrations.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/12/nypd...e+Raw+Story%29

dissent is now a criminal act, surveilled by the militarized, blood-thirsty, trigger-happy, brutalizing police state.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Almost 40 percent of US inmates are imprisoned unnecessarily

Nearly 40 percent of inmates in U.S. prisons could be released as they don’t pose any compelling threat to public safety, a study found. According to the report, setting the 576,000 inmates (39 percent) free could save $20 billion annually.

The study published Friday was conducted by the Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law. The U.S., which is home to less than five percent of the world’s population, is responsible for the incarceration of nearly 25 percent of the world’s inmates.

“Mass incarceration has huge social, racial, and economic costs,”

Researchers analyzed federal and state criminal codes in addition to convictions and sentences of roughly 1.5 million inmates who are serving sentences for 370 different crime categories, to arrive at the number of inmates imprisoned without a meaningful public safety threat.

They found that 25 percent of inmates nationwide are nearly all non-violent lower-level offenders and could be sentenced to community service or probation rather than prison. Fourteen percent of inmates have served sufficient sentences that could warrant their release “with little to no risk to public safety.”

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/12/almo...e+Raw+Story%29

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    South Texas Prison Riot Blamed On For-Profit Prison Company's "Abysmal Mismanagement"

In a lawsuit filed last week, officials with Willacy County, which made as much as $2.7 million a year off the prison under its arrangement with the feds and private prison contractor Management and Training Corp, claims that MTC failed to properly "oversee, manage, and repair" the prison and "turned a blind eye to the enormous problems that plagued the Prison from its inception."

According to the lawsuit filed last week, on MTC's watch inmates dealt with

overflowing toilets,

rodents, and

overcrowding that had gotten so bad that some were forced to stay in solitary confinement.

According to the lawsuit, tensions ran high inside the facility as the problems grew worse.

Meanwhile, MTC only had a single guard posted to watch each housing pod during any given eight-hour shift. "

http://www.sacurrent.com/the-daily/a...-mismanagement

America the Beautiful.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We Wanted To Find Troubled Jails, So We Counted The Bodies

In any given year, the vast majority of the thousands of jails in the United States do not report a single death.

But each year, about 1,000 Americans die in jail anyway.

Many die without the public knowing why, or whether their deaths could have been prevented.

Although the federal government collects data on jail deaths, it only publishes that data years later, and in aggregate, making it impossible to identify facilities that have particularly high death rates.

“It’s a national scandal that we have so little information about people who die in state custody,” said David Fathi, director of the American Civil Liberties Union’s National Prison Project.

“I don’t know of any other developed country where it’s really impossible to say how many people died in jails and prisons in a given year.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...ly%20HuffPost&

no doubt, you Pootin fellators think this is the Pootin way of running jails

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    California’s highway department is destroying homeless people’s belongings on purpose, suit alleges

Being homeless doesn’t mean being without rights — or without property.

California’s massive transit bureau is routinely violating homeless people’s cons utional rights by seizing and destroying what little property they have, tossing everything from tents to family photos and crucial identification papers into trash crushers as state highway patrolmen stand by to prevent the hapless street dwellers from saving their belongings.

https://thinkprogress.org/california...09f#.g64d3hvbd

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    California’s highway department is destroying homeless people’s belongings on purpose, suit alleges

Being homeless doesn’t mean being without rights — or without property.

California’s massive transit bureau is routinely violating homeless people’s cons utional rights by seizing and destroying what little property they have, tossing everything from tents to family photos and crucial identification papers into trash crushers as state highway patrolmen stand by to prevent the hapless street dwellers from saving their belongings.

https://thinkprogress.org/california...09f#.g64d3hvbd

That happens in San Antonio all the time.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That happens in San Antonio all the time.
    Do you stand around clapping, cheering,whooping them on?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

US State Police Have Spent Millions on Israeli Phone Cracking Tech

When cops have a phone to break into, they just might pull a small, laptop-sized device out of a rugged briefcase.

After plugging the phone in with a cable, and a few taps of a touch-screen, the cops have now bypassed the phone’s passcode.

Almost like magic, they now have access to call logs, text messages, and in some cases even deleted data.

State police forces and highway patrols in the US have collectively spent millions of dollars on this sort of technology to break into and extract data from mobile phones, according to do ents obtained by Motherboard.

Over 2,000 pages of invoices, purchase orders, communications, and other do ents lay out in unprecedented detail how one company in particular has cornered the trade in mobile phone forensics equipment across the United States.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/us-...ech-cellebrite

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Police worldwide eye Baltimore's vast surveillance complex (+video)

Baltimore is at the leading edge of deploying surveillance technologies.

Even though its practices have raised questions about civil liberties and privacy, law enforcement agencies around the world see it as a test bed for the future of policing.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Passc...-complex-video

1984, BigBrother will be watching your every move, your every smartphone act.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Black woman reports white man for choking her son and she gets arrested

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...-gets-arrested

... is why blacks typically FEAR, HATE to call the police for help.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you stand around clapping, cheering,whooping them on?
    Sorry Boo...didn't know your momma kicked you out of the singlewide...did they take your stuff?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Idaho Teen Football Player Walks Free After Sodomizing Black Disabled Teammate With Wire Hanger

Whiteness and wealth win every time.

http://www.alternet.org/human-rights/idaho-teen-football-player-walks-free-after-sodomizing-black-disabled-teammate-wire

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bill to limit Class C arrests target of red-herring arguments

With momentum building in support of Texas legislation to eliminate arrests for non-jailable offenses, Grits should respond to a red herring argument being trotted out in reaction to Sen. Konni Burton's SB 271 and Rep. James White's HB 567: That Timothy McVeigh, bomber of the Oklahoma City federal building in the '90s, was arrested at a traffic stop and might not have been captured if the incident were governed by the proposed statutes.

This is such horse-hockey, Grits at first didn't consider the point worth countering. But a couple of folks have brought it up now and

apparently it's a principle argument opponents are trotting around in response to the bill, so let's get the obvious rebuttal out there.

As anyone would discover through the most cursory examination,

Timothy McVeigh was arrested not for a non-jailable traffic violation (although that's why he was pulled over),

but because he informed the state trooper who stopped him that he was in possession of an illegal firearm. That's what triggered his arrest.

Under Texas' proposed legislation, police can still arrest individuals who are in possession of illegal weapons or who are committing other crimes if they fall into higher offense categories. So, because McVeigh wasn't arrested for a non-jailable traffic offense, his example just isn't applicable.

http://gritsforbreakfast.blogspot.co...target-of.html

cops use gratuitous arrests and jailings to pad their quotas, for which the Feds pay them.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FBI POLICY OF MANUFACTURING TERRORISM PLOTS REAFFIRMED BY APPEALS COURT

The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals issued a ruling that provides further support for the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and its policy of inducing individuals, typically Muslims, to plot acts of terrorism.

The appeals court additionally backed the outcome of the notorious FBI sting operation against the Newburgh Four.

https://shadowproof.com/2016/12/05/f...appeals-court/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Before Orlando Massacre, FBI Tried to Lure Shooter Into a Terrorist Attack

as Alternet’s Max Blumenthal and Sarah Lazare recently reported, the FBI’s notorious record for planning and carrying out fake terrorist attacks just to catch potential terrorists may shine light on Mateen’s decision to later carry out an actual, deadly terror attack.

Between September 11, 2001 and 2010,
    roughly half of all 508 terror suspects in the US had help from FBI informants, many of whom were criminals themselves that received upwards of $100,000 a year.

Mateen, who was mentally unstable and prone to outbursts of domestic violence against his spouse, may have still carried out the shooting at the Pulse nightclub regardless of the FBI’s attempt to ensnare him as a terror suspect in 2013.

However, Mateen’s progression from terroristic threatening to carrying out a mass shooting may have been partially spurred from his first taste of violent extremism, thanks to an FBI informant.

http://usuncut.com/news/fbi-lure-orlando-shooter/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

New York City cops raided a family’s home in Brooklyn at the break of dawn Thursday, handcuffing every family member while searching the apartment unit for three hours before realizing they had the wrong home and leaving.

Next thing the family knew, a photo showing them handcuffed while sitting on the couch appeared on Snapchat with the caption, “Merry Christmas it’s NYPD!”.

Another photo also appeared on Snapchat with the caption “Warrant sweeps Its still a party smh.”

Now internal affairs is investigating, but have refused to release the names of the officers involved.

According to ABC 7, which interviewed the family:

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Local jail fees face legal challenges in court

A county in Minnesota has come under fire for its practice of making all arrestees pay a booking fee at the time of their arrest, regardless of whether they are charged or convicted of a crime.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice...enges-in-court

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Millions of Women in the US Lack Proper Access to Menstrual Supplies

thousands of marginalized Americans who lack adequate access to these products so fundamental to women's reproductive health.

In particular, women in prison face an uphill battle getting their hands on feminine hygiene products. Incarcerated people earn at most 75 cents a day, which has to be split between basic necessities like toothpaste and deodorant.

In prison, costs range from $2.63 for 24 pads to over $4 for eight tampons. That means giving up more than three days of wages for pads and nearly twice that much for tampons.

Most inmates simply can't afford it, and lack of access to menstrual supplies creates toxic choices for women.

Prisoners frequently either go without supplies, bleeding onto clothes they're then stuck with until the next laundry day, or end up using one tampon or pad for multiple days.

Wearing an individual tampon or pad for more than the recommended maximum of eight hours increases the risk of bacterial or fungal infection as well as toxic shock syndrome, a rare but serious illness that can lead to death.

Plus, prison supplies are limited, and women's periods may sync up when they're in close quarters.

That's hundreds, potentially thousands, of women all stuck with their periods at the same time facing tension surrounding limited tampon supplies.

Even the last-resort option of stuffing toilet paper down your pants comes at a price, as toilet paper is rationed in prisons.

http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/ite...trual-supplies

America the Beautiful

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Orange Crush: The Rise of Tactical Teams in Prison

In Illinois, there is a notorious band of guards called the "Orange Crush" who don orange jumpsuits, body armor and riot helmets to conceal their iden y. They carry large clubs and canisters of pepper spray, which they use liberally. A recent lawsuit names a list of horrific abuses that includes strip searches, beatings and mass shakedowns of cells.

In the decades since the 1971 prison rebellion at Attica in New York, there has been a gradual build-up of these "tactical teams," also known as "tac teams" or Special Operations Response Teams (SORTs). Today, they are routinely used for anything from fights to reports of contraband. Only within the Illinois Department of Corrections (IDOC) have they earned the infamous name of "Orange Crush." Anyone who has been incarcerated in the men's state prison system has a story about these abusive guards.

I first heard of the Orange Crush in 2005 from my pen pal Gregory Koger, then held in isolation in Pontiac, Illinois, who described them in an article he wrote:

The "tac team" is a specially equipped team of approximately 6 officers wearing body armor, helmets, gas masks, with a shield and stick (they also wear orange jumpsuits under their body armor and hence carry the nickname "Orange Crush"). If for some reason you are asked to leave your cell and you refuse to comply, the "tac team" will come to your cell, spray a cloud of pepper spray, and then rush in to subdue you, handcuff you, shackle you, and remove you from your cell.

These teams can number from half a dozen to as many as 100 officers. They perform what are described by Koger as "cell extractions." Once individuals are removed, they perform "shakedowns," or searches of all personal belongings, often confiscating property.

"Nuts to Butts"

Ross alleges that officers dressed in orange suits entered his wing yelling loudly, making "whooping" sounds, and hitting their batons on walls, tables and doors. Two guards stood in front of each cell screaming at those inside to "get asshole naked." Once undressed, they had them exit the cell, turn around, bend over and spread their butt cheeks. The men were then asked to turn around and lift up their genitals for inspection. They used their fingers to open their mouths while guards looked for any contraband. According to Ross, some of the guards were women.

After the strip search, the men were allowed to get dressed, but told they could not put on underwear.

The men were marched single file into the gym in a manner the guards called "Nuts to butts." They were made to walk close together while bent over at the waist in a 90-degree angle. The guards yelled that they didn't want to see "any ing daylight" between the men. The suit describes

this line-up as humiliating and sexually abusive, "one man's genitals were in direct contact with the buttocks of the man ahead of him in line."

in May 2014 the Orange Crush conducted one at Big Muddy, and a month later at Lawrence and Menard prisons. These actions were, the suit claims, part of a "policy or practice implemented, overseen, and encouraged by IDOC supervisors."

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/3...eams-in-prison

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The most incarcerated city in the most incarcerated state considers expanding notorious jail

The sheriff wants to solve the jail’s mental health crisis by adding more beds.

A 15-year-old boy found dead in his cell, asphyxiated by his mattress cover. A suicidal 63-year-old man hanging from a showerhead. A 24-year-old who wrapped a telephone cord around his neck.

Awaiting trial at New Orleans’ jail has been likened to a “death sentence.” Now, the “most incarcerated city in the most incarcerated state in the most incarcerated country in the world” is considering spending millions of dollars to expand the troubled facility.

The city, which has one of the highest incarceration rates in the country, has steadily reduced the number of people in jail over the past six years. But if the new beds get built, community organizers warn, they won’t stay empty for long.

“As the incoming Trump administration takes power with its promises to be ‘tough on crime,’ we know that if those beds are built, they will be filled with our community members,” Alfred Marshall, an organizer who delivered a pe ion to city officials against the expansion, said in a press release.

Before Hurricane Katrina destroyed it in 2005, the decrepit Orleans Parish Prison housed 6,500 inmateson an average day, making New Orleans the most incarcerated city per capita. Federal funds after the storm presented an opportunity to shake that le and rebuild with a new vision.

The sheriff, who was paid per prisoner until 2015, said that number was far too low to accommodate all the people who needed to be locked up.

It quickly became apparent that the sheriff had not designed the jail to accommodate mentally ill inmates, a requirement of the federal consent decree the jail has been operating under since 2013. A mental health expert testified that the conditions inside the jail were “abysmal.” Beyond barebones medical care provided by a private prison health care company, the jail lacked basic mental health services and psychiatric facilities.

But the violations are taking their own financial toll on the city. According to a recent analysis by the New Orleans Times-Picayune, the sheriff has been paying out massive sums of taxpayer money to lawyers and public relations firms who handle damage control after each new death in the jail. In 2015, he spent almost $2 million in legal fees over a slew of civil rights violations and wrongful death allegations.

Criminalizing mental health

Jails have become the primary mental health providers in the U.S. as states cut mental health services and criminalize behaviors like homelessness and drug addiction. In New Orleans, virtually no mental health safety net exists outside of incarceration.

https://thinkprogress.org/most-incar...15d#.p1tzkcooh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just like Spurtalker "logic"

Former Chicago cop somehow blames high murder rate on BLM activists

“So what’s happening, and this is ironic, is that a movement with the goal of saving black lives at this point is getting black lives taken, because 80 percent of our murder victims here in Chicago are male blacks,”

The reason McCarthy might be looking for a new job is that he was let go after the police shooting of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald. Footage showed an officer unloading 16 bullets into the teenager.

While McCarthy called incident a “bad shooting,” he also said criticisms of police is taking America down “the wrong path”

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/01/form...e+Raw+Story%29

Thread Information