Page 98 of 152 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102108148 ... LastLast
Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 3781
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The NSA tripled its surveillance of U.S. phone records in 2017

The National Security Agency collected 534 million records of Americans' calls and texts in 2017, an annual agency
    report published Friday indicated, tripling its 2016 collection rate.

The surveillance in question focuses on metadata, which means the NSA records the source and recipient of each communication rather than its content.

The agency is also able to collect details like the time, duration, contact information, and even the number of characters in a text message.

The millions of records the NSA collected in 2017 stemmed from the agency's targeting of the communications
    of just 40 people — and, by extension, everyone they know.

While this mass surveillance remains substantially less than the NSA's spying on U.S. communications before the revelations of whistleblower Edward Snowden,

privacy advocates are alarmed by the new escalation.

"The intelligence community's transparency has yet to extend to explaining dramatic increases in their collection,"
    said Robyn Greene of the Open Technology Ins ute.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/771718/nsa-tripled-surveillance-phone-records-2017

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    racist Trash's Schutzstaffel ing over non-whites

ICE is wrongly designating immigrants as gang members to deport them

According to one report, gang databases maintained by states and ICE are often “riddled with error”

Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has repeatedly used ambiguous criteria to wrongfully accuse undo ented Latino immigrants of being affiliated with gangs — often the brutal, Los Angeles-founded street gang MS-13 — as a pretense to arrest them.

Right-wing media outlets have responded by hyping the narrative of the prevalence in the U.S. of MS-13 to promote ICE.

There have been a number of reports that ICE uses vague and sometimes overly broadcriteria to wrongfully label a person as affiliated with a gang, which

allows officers to arrest people without a criminal warrant.

The result is unjustified arrests of law-abiding undo ented immigrants and

overinflated numbers of how many undo ented immigrants are gang members,

which right-wing media broadcast to their audiences without proper context.

https://www.salon.com/2018/05/07/ice...-them_partner/

AmeriKKKa

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trash's SS: echoes of "Sophie's Choice"

Children likely to be separated from parents under new border enforcement policy

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-essential-washington-updates-children-could-be-separated-from-parents-1525702928-htmlstory.html

Terrorize, traumatize the kids, they're just brown , no better than animals, right?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Woman jailed in US for driving with Canadian licence

Emily Nield, 27, was on a student visa when she was pulled over for speeding in Georgia on her birthday in April.
    When she could not produce hard copies of her passport or birth certificate, she was handcuffed and taken to jail.

Charges were eventually dropped and her record cleared, but Ms Nield says she is still waiting for an apology.

After Ms Nield was pulled over for driving 87 mph (140 km/hr) in a 70 mph zone, the officer told her she could not drive with a Canadian licence.

"I tried to tell the officer this isn't right, my licence is legal, if she had just done a simple Google search, this would not have happened," she told the BBC on Monday.

According to the Georgia Department of Driver Services website, non-US citizens holding a valid foreign driver's licence are allowed to drive in the state of Georgia, but may be asked for proof that they are citizens of the country that issued it.

The highway she was driving on is frequented by many Canadians who vacation in Florida.

The officer did ask for proof that she was Canadian, and

would not accept photographs of Ms Nield's immigration do ents and passport.

She was then arrested for driving without a licence.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44032839

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Minority Report

The LAPD Uses Palantir Tech to Predict and Surveil 'Probable Offenders'

Analysts with the Los Angeles Police Department are reportedly using Palantir software to direct officers to surveil “probable offenders” throughout the city,

many of whom are not criminal suspects but

have been spotlighted by the company’s predictive technology, according to LAPD do ents.

The LAPD used Chronic Offender Bulletins before Palantir’s involvement, but the report notes that

the process is both increasingly automated by its software and per-infraction penalties are more severe.

https://gizmodo.com/the-lapd-uses-palantir-tech-to-predict-and-surveil-prob-1825864026?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&u tm_campaign=Feed%3A+gizmodo%2Ffull+%28Gizmodo%29

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    cop escalates to slaughter the victim for refusing direct orders, a capital crime

WATCH: Maryland sheriff shoots and kills a groundhog that was ‘not responding’ to his directions

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/05/wat...ng-directions/

If the ground hog were white ...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Panel finds 12 LAPD officers violated department policy in 2017 shooting from helicopter

It was a first for the Los Angeles Police Department: A helicopter was dispatched to where a 29-year-old man was barricaded inside a home on the top of a hill, surrounded by brush and debris.

During the hours-long standoff, the man fired at SWAT officers and they fired back from the helicopter, striking Anthony Soderberg. He died at the scene.

This week, an oversight panel determined in closed session that 12 officers violated department rules on lethal force in the incident.

One officer fired as many as 14 rounds, according to the report. At least 40 rounds were fired during the standoff and

multiple rounds were fired from a distance of 500 feet or more.

It's unclear why the commission found the 12 officers out of policy. President Steve Soboroff declined to comment on the decision, and other commissioners did not respond to a request for comment. The office of the inspector general is expected to issue a report on the shooting shortly.

The police union that represents rank-and-file officers said in a statement that it is "extremely disappointed with the commission's decision" and that the officers involved should be getting a "thank you" instead of a rebuke.

http://www.latimes.com/local/crime/l...s=mcnewsletter

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    North Carolina Police Officer Chokes and Slams Black Man to Ground for Arguing with Waffle House Employee

Yet another appalling display of unnecessary force.

A North Carolina police officer put a black man wearing a tuxedo into a chokehold — and then slammed him to the ground — during a violent Waffle House arrest.

Police were called to the Warsaw restaurant Saturday after 22-year-old Anthony Wall got into an argument with some of the servers,

https://www.alternet.org/news-amp-po...arguing-waffle

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Black activist jailed for his Facebook posts speaks out about secret FBI surveillance

Exclusive: Rakem Balogun spoke out against police brutality. Now he is believed to be the first prosecuted under a secretive US effort to track so-called ‘black iden y extremists’

thought he was dreaming when armed agents in tactical gear stormed his apartment. Startled awake by a large crash and officers screaming commands,

“It’s tyranny at its finest,” said Balogun, 34. “I have not been doing anything illegal for them to have surveillance on me. I have not hurt anyone or threatened anyone.”

Balogun spoke to the Guardian this week in his first interview since he was released from prison after

five months locked up and denied bail

while US attorneys tried and failed to prosecute him, accusing him of being a threat to law enforcement and an illegal gun owner.

Balogun,

who lost his home and more while incarcerated,

is believed to be the
    first person targeted and prosecuted under a secretive US surveillance effort to track so-called “black iden y extremists”.

Keighley, however, later admitted the FBI had no evidence of Balogun making any specific threats about harming police.

The government’s own crime data has largely undermined the notion of a growing threat from a “black iden y extremist” [BIE] movement, a term invented by law enforcement.

In addition to an overall
    decline in police deaths,

most individuals who shoot and kill officers are
    white men, and

white supremacists have been responsible for nearly 75% of deadly extremist attacks since 2001.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...P=share_btn_tw

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pulling guns on Mentos thieves and murdering groundhogs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Peg0...em-uploademail

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ex-Leader Of Rogue Baltimore Police Unit Gets 15-Year Sentence For Robberies

The disgraced leader of a rogue Baltimore police unit was sentenced to 15 years in federal prison after pleading guilty to nine robberies while on the force.

Former Sgt. Thomas Allers is the first member of the

brazenly corrupt Gun Trace Task Force to head to prison.

He pleaded guilty to nine robberies during his time leading the since disbanded unit.

Allers joined in with corrupt activities and

“emboldened what other people on the task force were doing,”

A jury found two task force detectives guilty of robbery and racketeering earlier this year.

The explosive federal investigation has seen six law enforcers plead guilty.

Several cooperated with the government. Allers did not.

it’s an open question WTF? the answer is ING NO

as to whether the force’s command structure had enough integrity to expose them. It was a federal investigation that brought them down.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/f...+%28TPMNews%29

the police and sheriffs don't don't police themselves

I bet JeBo's DoJ wouldn't have gone after these corrupt cops. In fact, JeBo has blatantly shutdown investigations of the police and certainly won't be starting up any of his own.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    'You Watch Too Much Movies': Watch ICE Refuse to Produce Warrant, Then Barge Into Home With Guns Drawn as Terrified Children Cry in Background

"An ICE warrant does not allow officers to enter a home without consent."

A woman in southern California repeatedly told Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents that her seven children were present and

demanded to see their warrant

as they forced their way—guns drawn and using heavy shields—into the family's home.

The agents were attempting to arrest Brianna Alonso's husband, Alberto Alonso-Hernandez, using a crowbar to pry open the home's back door.

The agents had their guns drawn and began screaming at the family after entering the house.

When Alonso asked to see their warrant,

one of the ICE agents said, "Ma'am, you're watching too much movies. We'll show you the warrant when we're done."

https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...n%20Background

Trash's AmeriKKKa and Trash's Schutzstaffel

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Researchers Find Breathalyzers To Be Just More Faulty Cop Tech Capable Of Putting Innocent People In Jail

Good news for motorists:

law enforcement is using something just as unreliable as
    $2 field drug tests to justify arrests and searches.

Field drug tests have been known to declare donut crumbs meth and drywall dust cocaine.

Yet
    they're still in use, thanks to their low price point. A costlier apparatus, used to determine blood alcohol levels during sobriety tests, appears to be just as broken as cheap drug tests.

the report showed the breathalyzer "tipped the scales" in favor of prosecutors, and against drivers.

One section in the report raised issue with a lack of adjustment of a person's breath temperature.

Breath temperature can fluctuate throughout the day, but, according to the report, can also wildly change the results of an alcohol breath test. Without correction, a single digit over a normal breath temperature of 34 degrees centigrade can inflate the results by six percent -- enough to push a person over the limit.

The quadratic formula set by the Washington State Patrol should correct the breath temperature to prevent false results. The quadratic formula corrects warmer breath downward, said the report, but the code doesn't explain how the corrections are made. The corrections "may be insufficient" if the formula is faulty, the report added.

The Washington State Patrol also disabled another feature that might have prevented false positives.

The code is also meant to check to ensure the device is operating within a certain temperature range set by Draeger, because the device can produce incorrect results if it's too hot or too cold.

But the report said a check meant to measure the ambient temperature was disabled in the state configuration.

"The unit could record a result even when outside of its operational requirements," said the report.

If the breathalyzer was too warm, the printed-out results would give no indication the test might be invalid, the report said.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20180511/11181839820/researchers-find-breathalyzers-to-be-just-more-faulty-cop-tech-capable-putting-innocent-people-jail.shtml

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    an oldie, but always goodie.

CSI Is a Lie

America's forensic-investigation system is overdue for sweeping reform.

"Nearly every examiner in an elite FBI forensic unit gave flawed testimony in almost all trials in which they offered evidence against criminal defendants over more than a two-decade period before 2000,"

the newspaper reported, adding that

"the cases include those of 32 defendants sentenced to death."

admissions from the FBI and Department of Justice "confirm

long-suspected problems with subjective, pattern-based forensic techniques—like hair and bite-mark comparisons

—that have contributed to wrongful convictions in more than one-quarter of 329 DNA-exoneration cases since 1989."

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-a-lie/390897/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    good

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cops indicted for beating homeless black man with flashlights and letting dog bite him

29-year-old Kyron Dwain Hinton was crossing the street when he was approached by officers from the Wake County Sheriff’s office.

Hinton had just left a sweepstakes parlor, according to the
    News Observer. He was homeless at the time.

The three officers allegedly attacked him with their flashlights and

allowed their dog to bite him.

Today, a Wake County grand jury indicted them on charges of felony assault and the failure to willfully discharge duties.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/05/cop...e+Raw+Story%29

convictions coming? probably not. Kyron is black, cops always have the right to beat out of blacks, comes with the badge.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Virginia police justify fatal shooting of black science teacher — who was naked and unarmed

Richmond police have doubled down on the department’s justification for shooting and

killing a black high school science teacher while he ran down I-95 in the nude.

WTVR reported that Marcus-David L. Peters, a 24-year-old black man who was unarmed when police shot him earlier this week,

crashed his vehicle on the busy interstate and then ran from the car while not wearing any clothes.

A now-suspended officer described only as “a male with ten years of service”

attempted to use a Taser to disable him, and when that did not work, opened fire.

“Our officers do not take the use of deadly force lightly,” G M A F B

a statement by Richmond Police Chief Alfred Durham read.

“I think it’s important to remember that being naked does not remove a threat.” G M A F B

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/05/virginia-police-justify-fatal-shooting-black-science-teacher-naked-unarmed/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaig n=Feed%3A+TheRawStory+%28The+Raw+Story%29

Nothing scares obese, white, less cops more than a black man's hyper-dangerous

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Judge Reams ICE’s Ass For Perjuring All Over Dreamer Kid

ICE detained a Seattle man, Daniel Ramirez Medina, and tried to strip him of his DACA protection because,

they say, he’s actually a dangerous gang-affiliated Bad Hombre who has to be hustled out of the country to keep Americans safe.

Thing is, there’s no evidence Ramirez has any gang connections at all, and

ICE altered Ramirez’s own statements to make it look like he admitted the very gang affiliations he was denying.

The good news:

A federal judge just set things right and told ICE to quit trying to make “gang affiliation” happen in Ramirez’s case,

because ICE was clearly lying.

The bad news:

It happened in the first place,

we have NO IDEA how many other similar cases there might be where ICE may have done this to people who lacked excellent volunteer lawyers, and, oh yes, the ICE agents who tried to railroad Ramirez will almost certainly not face any consequences.

The full horror show is detailed in a brilliant story at Slate by Mark Joseph Stern that will have you saying “HOLY ING ” every other paragraph, if not more often than that.

https://wonkette.com/634049/judge-re...er-dreamer-kid

Bad Liars

ICE claimed a Dreamer was “gang-affiliated” and tried to deport him. A federal judge ruled that ICE was lying.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/05/federal-judge-accused-ice-of-making-up-evidence-to-prove-that-dreamer-was-gang-affiliated.html

Trash's Sshutzstaffel Making AMeriKKKa White Again

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    America's Mayor Julie Annie's broken windows

Want to See How Biased Broken Windows Policing Is? Spend a Day in Court

In New York City, the overwhelming majority of misdemeanor arraignments are of people of color.

If you’re a person of color in New York, one of the country’s most policed cities,

you’re disproportionately likely to wind up in court for a minor charge.

Though you’re almost certainly going to walk that day,

you’ll probably still have to pay a fine, or

lose a day of work to muddle through an arraignment hearing.

While the inner machinations of the city’s justice system are opaque, the numbers in court don’t lie:

A new analysis of court proceedings across the city reveals stark patterns of structural bias that have historically defined the city’s police-civilian power structure.

The field research of the Police Reform Organizing Project (PROP) shows how

on any given day a typical city courtroom may see dozens of arrestees,

jail virtually none of them, and

churn people needlessly through a dysfunctional legal bureaucracy.

Although the city has
    pledged to sharply limit marijuana prosecutions

a promising reform given the pervasiveness of
    racial profiling for minor drug crimes

advocates say the courtroom, even without an actual conviction, has become a different kind of criminal justice gauntlet.

PROP sent researchers to attend misdemeanor arraignments in every borough from January through August 2017, witnessed more than

1,600 proceedings, and observed that across all five boroughs,

1,438, nearly 90 percent, involved New Yorkers of color.

About the same number of the defendants, 1,437, “walked out of the courtroom.”

In every borough, people of color and whites face disparate treatment from the criminal justice system for minor infractions.

So compared to the total population of the city—which is about 44 percent white, 25 percent black, 25 percent Latino and 13 percent Asian American—

the prevalence of non-whites among the arraigned was vastly disproportionate.

That is,

while people of color are three times as likely as their white peers to be arraigned in court, the vast majority of all arrestees walk out,

either pending another court date or pleading guilty to a minor charge, without detention.

https://www.thenation.com/article/want-to-see-how-biased-broken-windows-policing-is-spend-a-day-in-court/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trash's schutzstaffel no longer follows "prioritization" (bad people deport as priority). Der SS takes anybody, long time residents, no criminal history, parent of US citizens

Why Spanish speakers in US are getting into trouble

Ana Suda and Mimi Hernandez were queuing inside a petrol station in rural Montana when a Border Patrol agent demanded to see their identification.

The two US citizens were told they had been stopped because they were speaking Spanish in a "predominantly English-speaking state".
    In a video of the 16 May incident, Ms Suda asks the agent if he is racially profiling them.

"It has nothing to do with that," the agent replies. "Ma'am, the reason I asked you for your ID is because I came in here, and

I saw that you guys are speaking Spanish, which is very unheard of up here." ing rednet cop
    The women were detained for around 35 minutes before being allowed to go. US Customs and Border Protection says it is reviewing the case.

Ms Suda told the Washington Post the incident left her feeling uncomfortable speaking her own language.

Are US immigration authorities allowed to stop people for speaking Spanish?

The US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has a nondiscrimination policyin place that prohibits using racial and ethnic stereotypes to conduct stops or searches.

But the language remains vague over how agents actually decide to question individuals.

The agency told the BBC in an emailed statement that

"agents have broad law enforcement authorities" and that

"decisions to question individuals are based on a variety of factors for which

Border Patrol agents are well-trained".

How many Spanish speakers are there in the US?

The US is home to 41m native Spanish speakers, according to census data - that's 13% of the population.

And with another nearly 12 million bilingual Spanish speakers, the US is the second largest Spanish-speaking country in the world, ahead of Spain itself.

Anti-Hispanic incidents have made up around half of all reported ethnic-bias hate crimes since 2004, according to FBI data.

The debate over immigration and language has only intensified under President Donald Trump whose tough stance on undo ented migrants was at the heart of his successful election campaign in 2016.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44201444

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA rookie files civil rights suit as Milwaukee cops brace for outrage over release of arrest video

Brown was arrested in the early hours of January 26, after police found his parked car straddling two handicapped spaces in a Walgreens parking lot. According to the arrest report, it was Brown’s behavior that escalated a simple traffic citation into a Taser situation.

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that the video portrays a much different version of events.

Brown did not appear combative or threatening when officers questioned him about a parking violation in January, according to two sources who have watched the video. The sources asked that their names not be used because they weren't authorized to speak publicly about it.

Police officials have been preparing community leaders for the release of the body-camera footage by showing it to selected local officials, including a closed session of a Common Council committee. Bucks officials have reportedly watched the video as well.

"This could be bad," said one source who watched the video. "The player doesn't appear to be provocative at all."

Brown also was visibly injured when he showed up for work.

Brown played in a game later that day and had bruises and marks on his face. He told reporters then it was a "personal issue" and declined to discuss it further.

Brown’s legal team confirmed Tuesday that the NBA player will be pursuing a federal civil rights lawsuit against the Milwaukee Police Department.

The promised of a lawsuit comes just weeks after MPD made headlines for the violent arrest of Demetrious Lowe,

months after a $1.9 million dollar settlement for racial profiling as pertains to stop and frisk rates, and

less than three years after the city settled 14 federal lawsuits with 74 black men,

paying out $5 million as punishment for unlawful strip and body cavity searches.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...tail=emaildkre

Milwaukee is Sheriff Clark country, and WI is racist Kockistan, with a Kock as governor.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Milwaukee Police Release Footage Of Cop Using Taser On Sterling Brown

Police Chief Alfonso Morales said officers “were recently disciplined,” without providing details.

one officer can be heard ridiculing Brown after learning he plays for the Bucks.

The 30-minute video the department released corroborates that Brown was indeed approached by the officer outside of the Walgreens. After that, the accounts differ.

the officer tells Brown to “back up,” then asks his name, then quickly accuses him of failing to answer before Brown had a chance to respond, the officer calls for backup. At least four additional squad cars and a handful of officers arrive minutes later, four of whom surround Brown and begin questioning him.

“Take your hands out of your pockets now!”

Brown responds, “I’ve got stuff in my hands,”

at which point at least five officers immediately tackle him,

then proceed to use the stun gun on him as he’s groaning on the ground.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sterling-brown-body-camera-footage_us_5b058380e4b0784cd2b08997?utm_medium=ema il&utm_campaign=__TheMorningEmail__052418&utm_cont ent=__TheMorningEmail__052418+CID_f0dd17286d171d2d 3cb2786f163c708b&utm_source=Email%20marketing%20so ftware&utm_term=HuffPost&ncid=newsltushpmgnews__Th eMorningEmail__052418

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Court to Anchorage prison: Stop starving Muslim inmates
    Most facilities accommodate inmates by providing pre-dawn and post-sunset meals.

Instead, Anchorage Complex officials were giving those observing Ramadan meals of just
    500 to 1,100 calories each evening, well short of the 2,600 to 2,800 calories each should be receiving.

Providing just a fraction of the calories inmates need each day would have been bad enough if they could have eaten what was being provided.

What’s worse is that these meals included pork. Islam forbids the consumption of pork at all times.

The problem doesn’t lie with the law:

It was purely human indecency.

Both state and federal law require officials to respect religious practices.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...tail=emaildkre

Any employee of a prison, an employer of last resort, like TSA airport workers, is a criminal sadist bully until proven otherwise.

Thread Information