Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    did you see the +- numbers when manu was on the floor in playoffs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not complicated, and IMO, no right or wrong. Manu was ranked #11 in production (PER) among guards last season in the entire league. (http://bkref.com/tiny/r7kCw)

The average salary amongst the top 10 guards was $11.3m (and that includes at least 4 rookie deals, Irving, Curry, Harden & Wall).

After that, you had Calderon at #12 making $11m in Detroit (now signed a $7.5m/season deal with the Mavs). Conley after that, who will be making about $8m. So, you know, production wise, it's easy to see why the Spurs might've thought somebody might throw $8m-$10m at Manu by looking at the hard numbers alone. Under that view, $7m, give or take, it's an excellent deal, especially since it's only a 2 season deal. You could even argue he made a "significant sacrifice" signing at that kind of money, since his market value could've been potentially bigger.

Fact is, the Spurs didn't want to find out what the market value was. They wanted to make sure he would be back because they value what he does and think replacing that it's going to be very difficult (RC Buford words). Disagreeing with that is fine. At the end of the day one opinion isn't any different than another.

Spurs Fanatic
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sometimes I wish Manu had left the team when he had the chance in '04 so we wouldn't even have these conversations now and so we can't always put the blame on him when we don't win a championship. Oh I also would've loved to see him as a starter on a team during the prime of his career and what he could've done instead of being a sixth man for most of it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    per what manu is stupid he can not play over 30 minutes
    before allstar game he should not even play over 20

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I realize this is kind of a semantics issue, but you can say that he's received fair deals and still believe that there have been years when it turned out that he was underpaid or overpaid -- which is to say, years where his production per cap figure was an exceptionally good deal, or a not-so-good deal. That's not the same thing as the "he took less than he could have" argument at all, of course.
    That's pretty much what I'm saying. I think a lot of people think either he chose to take less in 2004 or took too much in 2010. I think both deals were fair given the situations surrounding the negotiations. I also think that both sides got a good return on investment through the lives of that $91M/9 contract plus extension. That's a lot of money, security and commitment for both sides. It was a good decision then, and it's a good decision now. This $14.5M/2 deal looks good now. It may not in the future, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sometimes I wish Manu had left the team when he had the chance in '04 so we wouldn't even have these conversations now and so we can't always put the blame on him when we don't win a championship. Oh I also would've loved to see him as a starter on a team during the prime of his career and what he could've done instead of being a sixth man for most of it.
    I'm looking forward to his next two seasons as a Spur. Just like the 11 that preceded them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want to see Manu finish his career wearing a spurs jersey. I didn't want the spurs to take a chance of another team signing him. I'm glad they locked him up for 2 more years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp isn't gonna rest until someone on here is driven into rage-induced convulsions irl. Must still be coping with the Finals loss still or just bored. Prolly a bit of both.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree. I think Pop has screwed him out of alot accolades. The guy's a winner so I am sure he would have been pretty good on any decent team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This contract, coming off of the letdown he was to Tim and TP and Pop in the finals, was a bit greedy. But I digress.
    What do you expect from someone that thought his Finals performance was "so-so"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu's injury prone and can barely handle 20 mins a game right now. He wouldn't have lasted very long as a starter. The year he played the most games as a starter(2011) his body ended up breaking down right before the playoffs and missing the entire post-season.

Some posters have this deluded idea that Manu has sacrificed acclaim to be a backup when it's more likely the Spurs and the medical staff are trying their best to keep him healthy as long as possible considering his fragile body. Any other team would have probably forced Manu into early retirment after playing him 40 mins a game for a few years. He should thank the Spurs for extending his career - There's not that many injury prone guards that are still able to play in the NBA at age 36. Pop's unique minute management has been extremely beneficial to Ginobili's career and Manu pays back the Spurs by playing ty FIBA ball for an irrelevant national team.
    Last edited by Johnny RIngo; 07-16-2013 at 01:02 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu's injury prone and can barely handle 20 mins a game right now. He wouldn't have lasted very long as a starter. The year he played the most games as a starter(2011) his body ended up breaking down right before the playoffs and missing every post-season game.
    The ? Manu's body didn't break down. He broke his elbow in a freak incident that could've happened in any game. He also only missed one game, not the entire series.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some posters have this deluded idea that Manu has sacrificed acclaim to be a backup when it's more likely the Spurs and the medical staff are trying their best to keep him healthy as long as possible considering his fragile body. Any other team would have probably forced Manu into early retirment after playing him 40 mins a game for a few years. He should thank the Spurs for extending his career - There's not that many injury prone guards that are still able to play in the NBA at age 36. Pop's unique minute management has been extremely beneficial to Ginobili's career and Manu pays back the Spurs by playing ty FIBA ball for an irrelevant national team.
    You sound upset.

Pop himself has lauded many times Manu's selflessness and embracing the role that the coach has given him, putting aside any personal glory.

It's clear that kind of leadership is what the Spurs want for the team, otherwise, they wouldn't keep on handing out the bills and praising what he brings to this team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You sound upset.

Pop himself has lauded many times Manu's selflessness and embracing the role that the coach has given him, putting aside any personal glory.

It's clear that kind of leadership is what the Spurs want for the team, otherwise, they wouldn't keep on handing out the bills and praising what he brings to this team.
    Says the guys that's been in damage control mode ever since his Argie hero the bed in the Finals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Says the guys that's been in damage control mode ever since his Argie hero the bed in the Finals.
    you're still upset and still didn't address my post at all

Why would they keep on handing out the bills and praising what he brings to this team if "Manu pays back the Spurs by playing ty FIBA ball for an irrelevant national team"?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would they keep on handing out the bills
    Because they don't want to end up like Dallas and gamble on the free agent market? For example, AK will have a better season than Ginobili next year but Spurs were not going to let Ginobili go in the off chace that AK signs with SA. Coincidentally, he ended up making a backdoor deal for a Russian owner so Spurs were correct in resigning Manu...even if he is overpaid and washed up.

and praising what he brings to this team if "Manu pays back the Spurs by playing ty FIBA ball for an irrelevant national team"?
    Pop praises everyone on the team - from Duncan all the way down to Joseph and Nando. And they probably don't want to bruise Manu's ego more than it already has after that trainwreck of a post-season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because they don't want to end up like Dallas and gamble on the free agent market? For example, AK will have a better season than Ginobili next year but Spurs were not going to let Ginobili go in the off chace that AK signs with SA. Coincidentally, he ended up making a backdoor deal for a Russian owner so Spurs were correct in resigning Manu...even if he is overpaid and washed up.
    So you're saying the Spurs are a savvy organization because they don't gamble in the FA market, but also 'overpay' for 'washed up' talent?

Pop praises everyone on the team - from Duncan all the way down to Joseph and Nando. And they probably don't want to bruise Manu's ego more than it already has after that trainwreck of a post-season.
    Why would they throw all that money and praise to a talent that, according to you, they resent, hurts the team, and has a bruised ego when they could just walk away from him?

I think it's patently obvious they don't share your asshurt about Manu, and they evaluate his talent quite differently. But then again, that's why they run one of the most successful franchises in american sports history, while, well, you're just here.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you're saying the Spurs are a savvy organization because they don't gamble in the FA market, but also 'overpay' for 'washed up' talent?

Why would they throw all that money and praise to a talent that, according to you, they resent, hurts the team, and has a bruised ego when they could just walk away from him?

I think it's patently obvious they don't share your asshurt about Manu, and they evaluate his talent quite differently. But then again, that's why they run one of the most successful franchises in american sports history, while, well, you're just here.
    Manu is STILL in SA cause a people like you,he appeals to simpletons who can't see beyond a flag/language,who happen to purchase a lot of tickets and jerseys.

It's business pure and simple

Cue the "asshurt" burns from the peanut gallery

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that trainwreck of a post-season.
    wat

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ElNono still ning dat

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess all of this puts pressure on Manu for the next two seasons. Being internet savvy I'm pretty sure he reads ST. Hopefully he can use all of this energy to help us to get to the finals again. We need the old Manu back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ElNono still ning dat
    Somebody has to defend him

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some people have nothing better to do and just want to cast blame. It gets tiring to read all the whiners.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp throwing raw meat to a pack of wolves with predictable results...

Spurs Fanatic
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu's injury prone and can barely handle 20 mins a game right now. He wouldn't have lasted very long as a starter. The year he played the most games as a starter(2011) his body ended up breaking down right before the playoffs and missing the entire post-season.

So it wouldn't have been our problem anymore would it and who cares if Manu retired early? If he was so fragile like you're saying he is they should of never brought him over to play in the NBA and I don't think all those teams would've been after him during his prime years.

Thread Information