Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Coming Off The Bench TheGoldStandard's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too much for as little as we'll get from him at this stage in his career but the majority of people seem to be okay with this so I won't argue the point..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's always hard to judge these things, but my thought process is roughly as follows -

Tim took a 50% pay cut after coming off a solid 15.4/9/2 season on very good efficiency for a big man (49.2% from the field), and that's not even considering what he brings to defense. He had one of his best defensive seasons last season in addition to improving his offensive stats, but nobody could've guessed that so we can only really go by his '11-'12 numbers.

Manu had his worst (or maybe 2nd worst) season in the history of his career from efficiency to injuries to you name it. He also took a 50% pay cut.

Tim's 50% cut is the metric I use to judge Manu.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I made the same Chinook argument with regards to Duncan before to. While Tim has taken less money, he is still a top 10 paid player of all time IIRC so it's not like the Spurs didn't take care of him. But when it got to the stage where the Spurs needed more, Duncan (and to a lesser degree Parker) took less and are still performing at a high level consistently. Manu is not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's always extremely hilarious when people most likely NOT making more than 100 K/year are ing about rich men paying, or overpaying, another rich man.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He got $14.5 million. Great. I've lost my mind over this already. Now I'll have to rob somebody else's mind so I can't lose it, too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta sell those jerseys. Manu speaks spanish, that's all that matters to large segment of casual Spurs fans.
    There's no basketball reason to make such a commitment to a scrub.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's always hard to judge these things, but my thought process is roughly as follows -

Tim took a 50% pay cut after coming off a solid 15.4/9/2 season on very good efficiency for a big man (49.2% from the field), and that's not even considering what he brings to defense. He had one of his best defensive seasons last season in addition to improving his offensive stats, but nobody could've guessed that so we can only really go by his '11-'12 numbers.

Manu had his worst (or maybe 2nd worst) season in the history of his career from efficiency to injuries to you name it. He also took a 50% pay cut.

Tim's 50% cut is the metric I use to judge Manu.
    Can you read the comments before you state your opinion? Stop with this "Manu took a 50% pay cut" argument because he didn't . If you read the comments above, you'll note that Manu DID NOT take a pay cut from his market value. If Manu would have taken a 50% pay cut, then he should of resigned for $3.5M/year or $7M/2year and not the bloated $14M/2 year contract that he took. In my very personal opinion, Manu's not even worth $7M/year market value but that's just me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, no matter on how much we may agree on what we think Manu's market value is/was, it's a fact he took a 50% pay cut from last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Crofl, hyperbole much? The fact is SA is a special small market. The best player in the history of the franchise has taken much less than he is worth to give the team a shot a le and is still elite and performing. TP is making way less than market value and improving his game. The only guy that is not improving is also the only one not sacrificing any money for the team. I can understand how that does not sit well with people. I am also happy he is back. They are not mutually exclusive.
    Apparently if you think Manu is even slightly overpaid, you're a ungrateful head who doesn't recognize anything he has done for the Spurs and you aren't happy to have him back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, no matter on how much we may agree on what we think Manu's market value is/was, it's a fact he took a 50% pay cut from last year.
    Yeah but not from the market value. TD is underpaid according to his market value. Based on your argument, then Manu deserved to resign with the Spurs for $28M.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can you read the comments before you state your opinion? Stop with this "Manu took a 50% pay cut" argument because he didn't . If you read the comments above, you'll note that Manu DID NOT take a pay cut from his market value. If Manu would have taken a 50% pay cut, then he should of resigned for $3.5M/year or $7M/2year and not the bloated $14M/2 year contract that he took. In my very personal opinion, Manu's not even worth $7M/year market value but that's just me.
    Most reasonable argument you've made and I agree.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not really, but it's pointless to debate this aspect of things.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LJ...picking up the ant farm and shaking it...and watching the pissed off ants crawl.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apparently if you think Manu is even slightly overpaid, you're a ungrateful head who doesn't recognize anything he has done for the Spurs and you aren't happy to have him back.
    LMAO, please get Manu's coc* off your mouth. DPG21920 is one of the most knowledgeable persons on ST. So is Bruno and Chinook.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he was mocking people who say you essentially hate Manu if you try to argue his contract is too much.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Significant sacrifice"
    RC was referencing earlier in Manu's career when he could have gone elsewhere for higher pay. Hopefully everyone gets the memo by now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Despite what happened in games 6 and 7 of the finals, I am happy he signed on for another 2 years. I will never forget being at game 5 of the finals last month and all of the fans in the arena chanting MANU.

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wow. just wow. as if the basketball gods decided 28 seconds before the buzzer that those fans don't deserve a 5th parade. treating Manu worse than Jefferson after he signed his extension, is the most classless episode of any fan base ever. the most ridiculous part of it is, that those little minds are acting, as if the one or two million they claim he got to much, put a damper on the Spurs future. ridiculous.
    he got the money b/c the Spurs believe he is worth the number. it's only a few months ago that every true and every wannabe Spurs fan would wholehearted declare that Manu is the heart of this team. this heart had some cardiac arrhythmia and every other "fan" calls it worthless. remember, you can't live without your heart. neither can a team. there is no price tag on your heart.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu made 107 M in his NBA career. gross.
    That makes 65 M net?
    Plus the endorsements.

I dont' think Nicola AND Dante' grandsons will have a bit of a financial problem.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They should have gotten rid of Manu after the 2007 le. He has done more harm to the team in their le quest with all the injuries and poor play in the playoffs for what they have paid him during all those years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wow. just wow. as if the basketball gods decided 28 seconds before the buzzer that those fans don't deserve a 5th parade. treating Manu worse than Jefferson after he signed his extension, is the most classless episode of any fan base ever. the most ridiculous part of it is, that those little minds are acting, as if the one or two million they claim he got to much, put a damper on the Spurs future. ridiculous.
    he got the money b/c the Spurs believe he is worth the number. it's only a few months ago that every true and every wannabe Spurs fan would wholehearted declare that Manu is the heart of this team. this heart had some cardiac arrhythmia and every other "fan" calls it worthless. remember, you can't live without your heart. neither can a team. there is no price tag on your heart.
    Sometimes people need a heart transplant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well if Manu signs at 3M, Spurs would have gotten that famous Euroleague champion Kirilenko, who obviously would have chosen San Antonio over New York, and Holt over his Russian buddy.....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ... it's only a few months ago that every true and every wannabe Spurs fan would wholehearted declare that Manu is the heart of this team. this heart had some cardiac arrhythmia and every other "fan" calls it worthless. remember, you can't live without your heart. neither can a team. there is no price tag on your heart.
    What you talking about? Tim Duncan is the heart and soul of this team. Without Tim Duncan, the Spurs have ZERO championships. It is because of Tim Duncan's resurgence these past two years that the Spurs have been as successful as they've been recently such as reaching the WCF in 2012 and the NBA finals in 2013. A 38 year old Tim Duncan, as well as Kawhi, almost carried us to #5 had it not been for coach Pop's decisions, your favorite player's 8 turnovers, and the infamous 28 second rebounds and free throws.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They should have gotten rid of Manu after the 2007 le. He has done more harm to the team in their le quest with all the injuries and poor play in the playoffs for what they have paid him during all those years.
    Better yet, in 2005.

That foul in G7 of 2006 would have never happened, and Ginobili' 30 points in that game would have been scored by hero Beno Udrih.
    Maybe even 40.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMAO, please get Manu's coc* off your mouth. DPG21920 is one of the most knowledgeable persons on ST. So is Bruno and Chinook.
    I think he was mocking people who say you essentially hate Manu if you try to argue his contract is too much.
    Thank you DPG.

What part of "apparently" don't you understand? Was my post really that hard to comprehend? DPG seemed to understand it fine. I was simply pointing out that many people here assume you hate Manu and don't recognize all he has done for this franchise if you even hint at the fact that he's overpaid. I was mocking them. Stop being so defensive.

Thread Information