Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    The last four Super Bowls alone prove that a strong O-line is overrated in today's game....

The Saints won with Jermaine Bushrod at LT, who was god-awful
    The Packers won with Chad Clifton at LT, a decent but aging veteran, and the 12th-ranked O-line according to PFF
    The Giants won with David Diehl - a natural guard - at LT, and the 31st-ranked O-line according to PFF
    The Ravens won with Bryant McKinnie (who was their backup during the regular season) starting at LT, and the 17th-ranked O-line according to PFF

The common denominator with those teams is that they had enough talent at the skill positions - especially quarterback - and defensively to make up for lesser talent in the O-line, especially protecting the so-called "blind side" (which is rapidly becoming a myth due to the combination of teams moving their best pass rushers to the right side and quarterbacks tending to evenly distribute the ball through all parts of the field)....

Meanwhile, having a great O-line doesn't necessarily correlate to winning: just ask the Browns, Lions, or Bills last year.... it seems to me that teams are better off investing in the skill positions and defense instead of wasting money trying to put together the best possible O-line, tbh....

You yourself admitted that Seattle has the edge at QB, WR, and the secondary, and that Marshawn Lynch is a "stud".... it's also pretty obvious that the Seahawks have a great defensive line, although you're too much of a homer to admit that.... all in all, Seattle has the better rosterPERIOD
    You're a got

See how ing stupid that is? Be pack later to delve into your above bull .

My Team
    New Orleans Saints
    Post Count
    I think Seattle has more talent than the Niners overall.

Smile you sonofabitch Chief Brody's Avatar
    My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    The last four Super Bowls alone prove that a strong O-line is overrated in today's game....

The Saints won with Jermaine Bushrod at LT, who was god-awful
    The Packers won with Chad Clifton at LT, a decent but aging veteran, and the 12th-ranked O-line according to PFF
    The Giants won with David Diehl - a natural guard - at LT, and the 31st-ranked O-line according to PFF
    The Ravens won with Bryant McKinnie (who was their backup during the regular season) starting at LT, and the 17th-ranked O-line according to PFF

The common denominator with those teams is that they had enough talent at the skill positions - especially quarterback - and defensively to make up for lesser talent in the O-line, especially protecting the so-called "blind side" (which is rapidly becoming a myth due to the combination of teams moving their best pass rushers to the right side and quarterbacks tending to evenly distribute the ball through all parts of the field)....

Meanwhile, having a great O-line doesn't necessarily correlate to winning: just ask the Browns, Lions, or Bills last year.... it seems to me that teams are better off investing in the skill positions and defense instead of wasting money trying to put together the best possible O-line, tbh....

You yourself admitted that Seattle has the edge at QB, WR, and the secondary, and that Marshawn Lynch is a "stud".... it's also pretty obvious that the Seahawks have a great defensive line, although you're too much of a homer to admit that.... all in all, Seattle has the better rosterPERIOD
    When McKinnie's in halfway decent shape he's still damn good. No coincidence that the line turned it around when Oher was moved back to RT and B-Mac made a starter. The rest of your point is good though. Giants also had that re Kevin Boothe at tackle. Bills line has been great the last 2 years, but the QB and skill positions (all but Spiller and Stevie) have been sub-CFL quality.

Gorilla Warfare KoolAid Mans Brother's Avatar
    My Team
    Carolina Panthers
    Post Count
    History clearly shows that the 49ers will not be returning to the SB this season.

……………………………………………………
    ** How the Super Bowl losers have fared the following season:
    2012 49ers: 11-4-1; lost to Ravens, 34-31, in Super Bowl XLVII
    2013 49ers: ????
    ……………………………………………………
    2011 Patriots: 13-3; lost to Giants, 21-17, in Super Bowl XLVI
    2012 Patriots: 12-4; lost to Ravens, 28-13, in AFC Championship Game
    ……………………………………………………
    2010 Steelers: 12-4; lost to Packers, 31-25, in Super Bowl XLV
    2011 Steelers: 12-4; lost to Broncos, 29-23, in AFC wild-card playoffs
    ……………………………………………………
    2009 Colts: 14-2; lost to Saints, 31-17, in Super Bowl XLIV
    2010 Colts: 10-6; lost to Jets, 17-16, in AFC wild-card playoffs
    ……………………………………………………
    2008 Cardinals: 9-7; lost to Steelers, 27-23, in Super Bowl XLIII
    2009 Cardinals: 10-6; lost to Saints, 45-14, in NFC divisional playoffs
    ……………………………………………………
    2007 Patriots: 16-0; lost to Giants, 17-14, in Super Bowl XLII
    2008 Patriots: 11-5; missed playoffs
    ……………………………………………………
    2006 Bears: 13-3; lost to Colts, 29-17, in Super Bowl XLI
    2007 Bears: 7-9; missed playoffs
    ……………………………………………………
    2005 Seahawks: 13-3; lost to Steelers, 21-10, in Super Bowl XL
    2006 Seahawks: 9-7; lost to Bears, 27-24 in NFC divisional playoffs
    ……………………………………………………
    2004 Eagles: 13-3; lost to Patriots, 24-21, in Super Bowl XXXIX
    2005 Eagles: 6-10; missed playoffs
    ……………………………………………………
    2003 Panthers: 11-5; lost to Patriots, 32-29, in Super Bowl XXXVIII
    2004 Panthers: 7-9; missed playoffs
    ……………………………………………………
    2002 Raiders: 11-5; lost to Buccaneers, 48-21, in Super Bowl XXXVII
    2003 Raiders: 4-12; missed playoffs
    ……………………………………………………
    2001 Rams: 14-2; lost to Patriots, 20-17, in Super Bowl XXXVI
    2002 Rams: 7-9; missed playoffs
    ……………………………………………………
    2000 Giants: 12-4; lost to Ravens, 34-7, in Super Bowl XXXV
    2001 Giants: 7-9; missed playoffs
    ……………………………………………………
    1999 ans: 13-3; lost to Rams, 23-16, in Super Bowl XXXIV
    2000 ans: 13-3; lost to Ravens, 24-10, in AFC divisional playoffs
    ……………………………………………………
    1998 Falcons: 14-2; lost to Broncos, 34-19, in Super Bowl XXXIII
    1999 Falcons: 5-11; missed playoffs
    ……………………………………………………
    1997 Packers: 13-3; lost to Broncos, 31-24, in Super Bowl XXXII
    1998 Packers: 11-5; lost to 49ers, 30-27, in NFC wild-card playoffs
    ……………………………………………………
    1996 Patriots: 11-5; lost to Packers, 35-21, in Super Bowl XXXI
    1997 Patriots: 10-6; lost to Steelers, 7-6, in AFC divisional playoffs
    ……………………………………………………
    1995 Steelers: 11-5; lost to Cowboys, 27-17, in Super Bowl XXX
    1996 Steelers: 10-6; lost to Patriots, 28-3, in AFC divisional playoffs
    ……………………………………………………
    1994 Chargers: 11-5; lost to 49ers, 49-26, in Super Bowl XXIX
    1995 Chargers: 9-7; lost to Colts, 35-20, in AFC wild-card playoffs
    ……………………………………………………
    1993 Bills: 12-4; lost to Cowboys, 30-13, in Super Bowl XXVIII
    1994 Bills: 7-9; missed playoffs

RW by far the better passer.
    OK.

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Niners will be a playoff team but I agree that there's a lot of history against them in regards to making it to the Super Bowl.

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    The 49ers were two bad calls from winning it all last season. They have played in the NFC le game the last two seasons. Now add... tons of pro bettors/magazine writers are picking them to be back in that NFC le game again in 2013. Please don't show your stupidity with....pro betters/magazine writers..hahaha!!!!!!...trust me whoever you are, you wouldn't make a zit on their ass. They know the game, it's what they do for a living, and have been for decades.

There is no team in the league with a better balance between offense/defense...none. They can run the ball and stuff the run, that is huge. They have a great blend of experience and youth. They have a mobile QB, a gang of backs, stud TE and the extreme elite when it comes to the big guys. Now add their quality depth.

Barring injuries it will be....Niners vs Broncos...for the Heavyweight Championship of the World.

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    And the injury list grows. Culliver out for the season with a torn ACL. Third corner, but depth is important in what could be the toughest division in the league.

Niners are downplaying the Willis injury, but it's still bad news.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    The 49ers have become very unlikable, tbh...it's good to see them get the butcher's bill after 2 remarkably healthy seasons--let's just hope the meatwagon keeps coming. I hope Harbaugh strokes out too.

I'm a fan just because of trabtree

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Well, Avante has ruined the Niners on this forum, but I don't get the hatred for Harbaugh. Has he engaged in y antics? I suppose, but it's not like he changed his fiery ways since Stanford. No question he's a good coach. I'm really glad to have him for a number of reasons, chiefly that he stresses fundamentals and seems to get the most out of players.

With Smith gone, I just can't find much to hate on...Which is a bizarre feeling. Haven't felt this way since the early 00's

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    Well, Avante has ruined the Niners on this forum, but I don't get the hatred for Harbaugh. Has he engaged in y antics? I suppose, but it's not like he changed his fiery ways since Stanford. No question he's a good coach. I'm really glad to have him for a number of reasons, chiefly that he stresses fundamentals and seems to get the most out of players.

With Smith gone, I just can't find much to hate on...Which is a bizarre feeling. Haven't felt this way since the early 00's
    He's a great coach, but the sideline temper tantrums are ing gay.

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count

To be honestly, I hate that being "fiery" is seen as a good thing, or even a neutral thing. It's one thing to have your players' backs or to motivate the team; it's quite another to act like a baby on the sidelines and get into altercations with other coaches. He might be a good strategist, but so is Rex Ryan. A coach acting like a fool all the time eventually leads to players to lose respect for him. Harbaugh's had great success so far and is pushing all the right buttons, but so was Ryan two years into his tenure. It can fall apart quickly. Stacked rosters can show major weaknesses in the span of a few weeks.

I think the 49ers will progressively get worse over the next two years (it's kind of hard not to). I think they could easily miss the playoffs in 2014-2015, not even counting a major injury.

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    To be honestly, I hate that being "fiery" is seen as a good thing, or even a neutral thing. It's one thing to have your players' backs or to motivate the team; it's quite another to act like a baby on the sidelines and get into altercations with other coaches. He might be a good strategist, but so is Rex Ryan. A coach acting like a fool all the time eventually leads to players to lose respect for him. Harbaugh's had great success so far and is pushing all the right buttons, but so was Ryan two years into his tenure. It can fall apart quickly. Stacked rosters can show major weaknesses in the span of a few weeks.

I think the 49ers will progressively get worse over the next two years (it's kind of hard not to). I think they could easily miss the playoffs in 2014-2015, not even counting a major injury.
    This is highly unlikely, considering the Niners have what is widely considered to be the second youngest (to Seattle) amount of elite talent in the league, especially in the OL and LB corps. Add in Aldon Smith, and you have a scary amount of talent in the trenches/front 7 for the foreseeable future

Also, comparing Rex to Jim is hilarious. Jim has already been to a SB and has a far more talented FO behind him. I understand the injury arguments, the Niners are due, but to think they'll be anything other than a playoff team for the foreseeable future is misguided, imo

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    And yeah, I also get the hate for his antics on the sideline, but the results speak loud and clear. For long suffering SF fans, who've seen both fiery (Singletary) and calm (Nolan/Erickson) coaches fail, it's easy to see. I think dude has bought himself 5 years with his performance thus far.

Btw, you guys (Ravens) have been incredibly blessed with your last two coaches, one of which was known for his fiery nature and a propensity to berate officials (Billick). That guy got you a SB, and was a great coach in his own right, imo

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    This is highly unlikely, considering the Niners have what is widely considered to be the second youngest (to Seattle) amount of elite talent in the league, especially in the OL and LB corps. Add in Aldon Smith, and you have a scary amount of talent in the trenches/front 7 for the foreseeable future

Also, comparing Rex to Jim is hilarious. Jim has already been to a SB and has a far more talented FO behind him. I understand the injury arguments, the Niners are due, but to think they'll be anything other than a playoff team for the foreseeable future is misguided, imo
    Rex went to back-to-back AFCC games. The fact that he did that with a " far-less-talented" front office behind him is a testament to how good of a coaching job he did those first two years. Still, the talent gap between those Jets and these 49ers is overstated, I think. The Jets' roster featured the league's best offensive line, a strong running game which added a legendary back to its stable, an up-and-coming quarterback ( looking back). It also had the league's best secondary bar-none and a great middle to the front seven. The defense had its weaknesses, to be sure, but there was also a fair amount of young talent waiting in the wings.

And it fell apart. So badly that people forgot how promising it looked. Players got injured. Vets got old, and young guys couldn't step up. People started pointing fingers, and the locker room broke down. Rex's fiery personality was seen as immature. Now, it seems laughable to call Rex a good coach, but even two years ago, he'd probably have been considered top 3-5.

The 49ers aren't in that bad of a boat. There's no reason to think they'd collapse that far that quickly. But the signs of a decline are there. Unless Boldin plays every game and is effective, the receiving corp is in trouble, especially without Jenkins being able to grasp the offense. The d-line barely made it through last season. The secondary is in transition. The pass rush died in the later playoffs. Frank Gore is not going to get younger. Kaep could go Newton at any moment, and even if he doesn't, his next contract is going to be huge. Good teams handle uncertainties and do the appropriate things to mitigate the risk. I can understand giving Harbaugh and the front office the benefit of the doubt, but that doesn't mean that it's absurd to be concerned about the team's future after these next two seasons.

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    And yeah, I also get the hate for his antics on the sideline, but the results speak loud and clear. For long suffering SF fans, who've seen both fiery (Singletary) and calm (Nolan/Erickson) coaches fail, it's easy to see. I think dude has bought himself 5 years with his performance thus far.

Btw, you guys (Ravens) have been incredibly blessed with your last two coaches, one of which was known for his fiery nature and a propensity to berate officials (Billick). That guy got you a SB, and was a great coach in his own right, imo
    Even Billick was pretty much on a razor's edge for most of his career in Baltimore. He did a great job of balancing his first four or so years, but after that the Ravens started to look like the Rex-era Jets, but with a 2000-yard rusher and GOAT MLB and FS candidates to help buoy the tumult. Fiery coaches meet fiery demises. Quiet coaches meet quiet ends. It's pretty much just the way things go.

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Chinook

Agree to disagree

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    Sure. No matter how much analysis or stats any of us bring up, only time will tell what's going to happen. That's why we watch in the first place.

Good luck to your team this season. If they end up playing the Ravens, then I'm sure we'll both be very happy people.

My Team
    Indianapolis Colts
    Post Count
    49ers signed Austin "Concussions" Collie. Could be a good pickup if the guy can stay healthy but he's had 5 concussions and 2 ankle injuries since the 2010 season. I honestly think it's borderline irresponsible for an NFL team to give this guy work because he can't take a big hit without getting a head injury.

My Team
    Seattle Seahawks
    Post Count
    They're almost as good as the Seahawks. Almost.
    A fellow Seahawk fan. Sweet. How do you add a Seahawk logo that only appears in the NFL forum?

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    49ers signed Austin "Concussions" Collie. Could be a good pickup if the guy can stay healthy but he's had 5 concussions and 2 ankle injuries since the 2010 season. I honestly think it's borderline irresponsible for an NFL team to give this guy work because he can't take a big hit without getting a head injury.
    After Seau and all the mounting evidence of long term damage due to repeated concussions, you have to wonder what a guy like Collie is thinking. $$$ I guess

Hope he stays healthy, too

My Team
    Indianapolis Colts
    Post Count
    After Seau and all the mounting evidence of long term damage due to repeated concussions, you have to wonder what a guy like Collie is thinking. $$$ I guess

Hope he stays healthy, too
    The last concussion he got was during preseason last year and it wasn't even one of those bit "clack" hits either, it was just a regular ol' hard tackle. Hate to say it but his next concussion is right around the corner. The Niners need the help because of the Crabtree injury but Collie doesn't even play out wide and they already have Davis tearing it up over the middle (and everywhere else pretty much)... I just don't get it. Dude was on his way to becoming one of my favorite Colts when he was healthy though. I'm not wishing another concussion on the guy but I really feel like he's past the point of no return with that . Seen him lying on the field not moving enough times to know by now.

tbh Peyton is at least party at fault for that because he was getting Dallas Clark straight killed going over the middle by the time they cut him. Was doing the same thing to Collie. The Colts also rushed him back in 2010 to play against the Patriots. He came in for like one drive and got yanked for aggravating the concussion, but the team denied that it happened and never reported it. Shady business imo.

The niners won't miss the playoffs, but they aren't going to win the super bowel in the next couple years. Last year was their year and they blew it.

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    So the 9ers have traded AJ Jenkins for Jon Baldwin.

Personally, I like the move. They have quite a few slot options, and Baldwin can be a good redzone target.

Thread Information