Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    8 teams are always in contention in the west but the Spurs haven't won anything since 2007.
    And Timmy watches the last minute of Game 6 from the bench. Nice work, Pop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    can we just amnesty this thread?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    8 teams are always in contention in the west but the Spurs haven't won anything since 2007.
    You make this sound as if it's an unexpected drought. In fact, only four teams have won a Championship since then.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You make this sound as if it's an unexpected drought. In fact, only four teams have won a Championship since then.
    A championship isn't the only way to show that we're competing each year. There's no reason we shouldn't have at least been able to make it to the conf finals every year. If we made it that far there's also a good chance we would have won more championships.
    Last edited by therealtruth; 07-27-2013 at 09:17 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A championship isn't the only way to show that we're competing each year. There's no reason we shouldn't have at least been able to make it to the conf finals every year. If we made it that far there's also a good chance we would have won more championships.
    The Spurs have played in the conference finals as much as any team has over the past six years. They're tied with Boston, Miami and Los Angeles at three appearances.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Close this thread down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why the is this stupid thread near the top? Oh the offseason IN SA land
    Close this thread down.
    YOUR damn right, but most will continue with their trade machine and how it can work, out of boredom I guess.

Give us some real news.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd agree in 2008. I thought we were robbed tbh. No one was beating Boston that year though.

The Spurs have played in the conference finals as much as any team has over the past six years. They're tied with Boston, Miami and Los Angeles at three appearances.
    Puts things into perspective quite nicely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd agree in 2008. I thought we were robbed tbh. No one was beating Boston that year though.

Puts things into perspective quite nicely.
    Yep, no way in we were beating Detroit in 04 IMO they way they were playing and NO BARRY or Nazr yet who were huge in taht series against them and no way we beat Boston in 08 IMO, so some would disagree but I agree with you on that part.

If we make the finals in 06 though we win it all IMO, no way we choke it away like Dallas did basically staring at being up 3-0 and them blowing it in game 3 late up 15. Thats the one we would have won IMO, but 04 and 08 you could argue but I think we lose those series in all honesty.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, no way in we were beating Detroit in 04 IMO they way they were playing and NO BARRY or Nazr yet who were huge in taht series against them and no way we beat Boston in 08 IMO, so some would disagree but I agree with you on that part.

If we make the finals in 06 though we win it all IMO, no way we choke it away like Dallas did basically staring at being up 3-0 and them blowing it in game 3 late up 15. Thats the one we would have won IMO, but 04 and 08 you could argue but I think we lose those series in all honesty.
    We needed Speedy Claxton and Stephen Jackson for 2004 tbh. Those two would've not chocked the way Robert Horry and Hedo Turkoglu did. A Danny Ferry (reminds me a lot of Matt Bonner btw) and Steve Kerr would of come in handy too to hit some open shots because the Lakers were crowding the paint. I think if the Spurs had kept STJX and Claxton then they would've three peated from 2003-2005 tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We needed Speedy Claxton and Stephen Jackson for 2004 tbh. Those two would've not chocked the way Robert Horry and Hedo Turkoglu did. A Danny Ferry (reminds me a lot of Matt Bonner btw) and Steve Kerr would of come in handy too to hit some open shots because the Lakers were crowding the paint. I think if the Spurs had kept STJX and Claxton then they would've three peated from 2003-2005 tbh.
    First of all Horry helped us win a ring bigtime the next year so I am glad he was here and I will never diss him for his contributions in 05 and 07, but he did lay an egg against his old team. I agree on Speedy and Jax though! But we had no D ROB in 04, we had TRASHO and Hedon't! No way we beat Detroit in 04 with the team we had then! IMO anyways. We got Nazr in a trade and added Barry for when Parker the bed as usual against certain teams, then we had a good shot and won it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First of all Horry helped us win a ring bigtime the next year so I am glad he was here and I will never diss him for his contributions in 05 and 07, but he did lay an egg against his old team. I agree on Speedy and Jax though! But we had no D ROB in 04, we had TRASHO and Hedon't! No way we beat Detroit in 04 with the team we had then! IMO anyways. We got Nazr in a trade and added Barry for when Parker the bed as usual against certain teams, then we had a good shot and won it.
    I agree with everything you said. Also keep in mind that if we had signed Jackson to like a 4 or 5 year contract then he would've pretty much done everything that Horry did which was clutch performances in the playoffs. I believe that if we had kept STJX and Speedy that we still would've gotten Barry. I mean all Barry wanted was a ring. That's why I made that thread that the worst offseason for me was 2003. I wasn't around ST and as involved on the team so I don't know the reasoning behind breaking up the team but if I had to take a guess is then it would be that the FO pulled a Mark Cuban? They let SJX and Speedy walk so that they can bid on Jason Kidd? If so then what a major screw up.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hedo Turkoglu was good. The Spurs made a mistake in tossing him, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hedo Turkoglu was good. The Spurs made a mistake in tossing him, tbh.
    He got better later on with the Magic but with the Spurs he shat the bed against the Lakers. He could not hit an open shot to save his life.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He got better later on with the Magic but with the Spurs he shat the bed against the Lakers. He could not hit an open shot to save his life.
    Shows what a good coach can do to bring out a player's talents.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shows what a good coach can do to bring out a player's talents.
    So Stan was a good coach? Van Gundy that is?

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought we were going to trade for Paul George?

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone who has followed the Spurs the year the FO was after Kidd, knows SJax was asking for way too much, and he never got it. He was a cancer for the Spurs and a turn over machine no matter what he did to help win the championship.
    IMHO The Spurs were better off without him and should have never resigned him later because it came back to bite them in the butt.
    Last edited by xmas1997; 07-28-2013 at 10:14 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Stan was a good coach? Van Gundy that is?
    He turned Hedo into an allstar. He gave him the opportunity and confidence to be able to play his game. Pop made him a spot up shooter which wasn't his game.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We didn't even give him a chance, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He turned Hedo into an allstar. He gave him the opportunity and confidence to be able to play his game. Pop made him a spot up shooter which wasn't his game.
    Yeah he did work to his strengths there, not Pops fault though he could not HIT an open shot in the playoffs for the most part. If you are implying Van Gundy is better than Pop I would say most on earth would laugh or disagree. Pop does some things well you know.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Picks, Blair, Neal, Bonner, CoJo, Mills, DeColo. What an amazing package.
    No

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah he did work to his strengths there, not Pops fault though he could not HIT an open shot in the playoffs for the most part. If you are implying Van Gundy is better than Pop I would say most on earth would laugh or disagree. Pop does some things well you know.
    As far as emphasizing a player's strengths and allowing them to play their game, Van Gundy is better. Pop tends to try to conform players to his system which not every player handles well. Think of Hedo and RJ for example.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anybody know when the Spurs trading of Kawhi to get back Paul George becomes official? We really need a solid PG.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the Cap Room we have left I don't see this as being reality..He is still owed way too much on his current Contract

Thread Information