Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a general question about the stretch provision vs buying out the contract. If there is only 1 year left on a contract and it is unlikely that the player will play on another team (most likely retire, say like Nash), is there an advantage to using the stretch provision vs buying out the contract? I can't think of any. Why would you want any part of the salary, which you are going to pay either way, showing up on your books?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a general question about the stretch provision vs buying out the contract. If there is only 1 year left on a contract and it is unlikely that the player will play on another team (most likely retire, say like Nash), is there an advantage to using the stretch provision vs buying out the contract? I can't think of any. Why would you want any part of the salary, which you are going to pay either way, showing up on your books?
    It's sorta misleading. The guaranteed portions of all contracts signed under the new CBA are automatically stretched upon the player being waived. Using the provision only allows the team to count the stretch over three cap-years. In Nash's case, if the Lakers were to buy him out for $6 Million, they could choose to either take that all on their cap next session or use the provision on it and only take $2 Million each of the following three. If they just waive him without a buyout, they can choose to take all $9+ Million next year or to use the provision on it and take $3+ Million each of the next three years. Regardless, they would actually be paying him over three years.

The CBA FAQ is linked in the OP of the Trade Thread. It explains the stretch provision clearly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, ok. I thought if a player was boughtout, they would not count against the cap. What you said makes sense so as to prevent big market teams from playing their same ol game. Thanks.

Transition 3 Willbreaker Captivus's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just wanted to show you this video.
    This guy is making videos with CBA explanations.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://data.shamsports.com/content/p...ries/spurs.jsp

Just a quick link to update the salary info since Bruno's figures were before the trade deadline

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where is Bruno by the way?

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Question: If the Spurs resign Boris Diaw, what is the most creative manner of structuring his contract to increase the 2015 offseason cap space: Other than decreasing contracts, can the Spurs do the Nick Collison thing with Diaw? Diaw at 10, 4, 4 would be pretty ideal as cap space this year doesn't matter, but not sure if that option is still available(and can't find it scanning the Coon FAQ). I don't think it's an available option, but would be great for us if it is.

Coming Off The Bench TheGoldStandard's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Question: If the Spurs resign Boris Diaw, what is the most creative manner of structuring his contract to increase the 2015 offseason cap space: Other than decreasing contracts, can the Spurs do the Nick Collison thing with Diaw? Diaw at 10, 4, 4 would be pretty ideal as cap space this year doesn't matter, but not sure if that option is still available(and can't find it scanning the Coon FAQ). I don't think it's an available option, but would be great for us if it is.
    There is a ton of flexibility in 2015-2016 at this point since Manu and Duncan are off the books and save for Tiago we don't have any guaranteed monies going anywhere. That being said we'll have to extend Kawhi and work something out with Green but there should be a good chunk of change left over regardless of what they do this offseason to keep Mills and Diaw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ TP is also a free agent. But it's not a given that Tim is gonna retire next summer so it's hard to really make any prediction...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to Sham's, here is where we sit with Anderson's rookie scale salary set to 100%. We have 14 players if all the players listed come back (Bonner was deleted, so he'd make 15 if he returns). Pending is the re-signing amounts for Diaw, Mills, and Baynes (assuming all are brought back). Not much room on this championship squad heading into next year. I think the 15th spot is left open for 10 day contracts to evaluate talent throughout the year and to plug holes based on injuries.

Bayne's amount is his qualifying offer.
    Daye's amount is partially unguaranteed, but becomes guaranteed on the 1st of July.

I miss anything?

Player 2014/2015
    Tony Parker $12,500,000
    Tim Duncan $10,361,446
    Tiago Splitter $9,250,000
    Manu Ginobili $7,000,000
    Boris Diaw N/A
    Danny Green $4,025,000
    Marco Belinelli $2,873,750
    Kawhi Leonard $2,894,059
    Jeff Ayers $1,828,750
    Patrick Mills N/A
    Cory Joseph $2,023,261
    Austin Daye $1,063,384
    Aron Baynes $1,115,243
    Kyle Anderson $911,400
    TOTALS
    $55,846,293

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs COULD potentially give Diaw a giant signing bonus on top of his contract similar to what happened with Collison a few years back. However, the Spurs then can't exceed the salary cap or else the signing bonus is spread throughout the duration of the contract. So in short, there is pretty much 0% chance it happens.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The loophole that Presti used to renegotiate and simultaneously extend Collison's deal was addressed in the 2011 CBA. Even if it still existed the Spurs would not be able to do something similar with Boris, as they cannot renegotiate or extend his current contract. He will become a free agent on July 1st and his next deal will be a new contract. As such, the difference in salary from one year to the next is limited to 7.5% of the first year salary of the new deal.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone want to take a stab at what Diaw will command? 21m/3yrs would be my guess.

spurs let mills walk if he earns greater than Danny green money. Baynes will walk if he earns greater than Vitor Faverani money.

Coming Off The Bench TheGoldStandard's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone want to take a stab at what Diaw will command? 21m/3yrs would be my guess.

spurs let mills walk if he earns greater than Danny green money. Baynes will walk if he earns greater than Vitor Faverani money.
    Diaw will get 18/3 and will take a discount to continue to play with Parker. Mills will get 4/18 deal ascending

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'm guessing Diaw signs 2 year deal/ 15 mil.

Don't think Spurs will exceed 4.5/5 mil per to retain Patty. They still like Corey Joseph a lot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs have huge leverage over Diaw, we should get a big discount. Boris has had a pretty unhappy NBA career playing for teams and coaches who don't fit for him.

I say there's no way he leaves, even if we only offered him a deal at a similar salary to his current one.

I think $16m/3yr would seal it for us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs have huge leverage over Diaw, we should get a big discount. Boris has had a pretty unhappy NBA career playing for teams and coaches who don't fit for him.

I say there's no way he leaves, even if we only offered him a deal at a similar salary to his current one.

I think $16m/3yr would seal it for us.
    Meh he has at least as much leverage with the Spurs... He is arguably the WCF and Finals MVP. Boris loves playing, if he gets a bigger role elsewhere he could very well walk.

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Andthentherewas21 and Mel_13 Thought it had been addressed, but wasn't sure. Trying to think of loopholes to maximise 2015 cap space.

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boris loves playing in a team system that passes a lot. There are certainly other teams with similar processes, Atlanta was pretty close. But money and role would be much the same there. I'm sure Bud and Ferry value Boris, but there is already Horford and Millsap as established starters, plus Payne, Noguiera etc to fill in minutes. Not a big role there.

Most good teams only have the MLE to offer, and bad teams probably won't be interested. 3yr deal around the MLE (maybe slightly over ) would be a good deal. 3 at 18 seems feasible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh he has at least as much leverage with the Spurs... He is arguably the WCF and Finals MVP. Boris loves playing, if he gets a bigger role elsewhere he could very well walk.
    I simply don't agree. This is a great article on Boris' NBA journey and why he had such problems in Atlanta and Charlotte playing for coaches that didn't accept him for who he is. The same thing happened on the Suns when D'Antoni left.

Perhaps more than any other player in the league, Boris needs to play in the right team for the right coach. He had it with D'Antoni's seven seconds or less and he has that here. I don't see any way he would choose to play elsewhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I simply don't agree. This is a great article on Boris' NBA journey and why he had such problems in Atlanta and Charlotte playing for coaches that didn't accept him for who he is. The same thing happened on the Suns when D'Antoni left.

Perhaps more than any other player in the league, Boris needs to play in the right team for the right coach. He had it with D'Antoni's seven seconds or less and he has that here. I don't see any way he would choose to play elsewhere.
    You're obviously only looking at one side of the equation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're obviously only looking at one side of the equation.
    Feel free to enlighten me

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boris loves playing in a team system that passes a lot. There are certainly other teams with similar processes, Atlanta was pretty close. But money and role would be much the same there. I'm sure Bud and Ferry value Boris, but there is already Horford and Millsap as established starters, plus Payne, Noguiera etc to fill in minutes. Not a big role there.

Most good teams only have the MLE to offer, and bad teams probably won't be interested. 3yr deal around the MLE (maybe slightly over ) would be a good deal. 3 at 18 seems feasible.
    That's just ridiculous. Bet the Rockets gives him 10M and a starting job once they realize they're not getting Melo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Feel free to enlighten me
    You're only looking at how much Boris supposedly needs the Spurs not the other way around...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's just ridiculous. Bet the Rockets gives him 10M and a starting job once they realize they're not getting Melo.
    No. Morey would never offer him that kind of money and Boris would never consider playing in a iso-ball team.

Thread Information