Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whenever a team sign a player or do a trade, there aren't only basketball considerations but also financial considerations. Here is a look at Spurs' financial status:

Spurs 13-14 salaries :

Players with a guaranteed contract :
    Spurs have 15 players with a fully guaranteed salary:
    Tony Parker: $12,500,000
    Tim Duncan: $10,361,446
    Tiago Splitter: $10,000,000
    Manu Ginobili: $7,500,000
    Boris Diaw: $4,702,500
    Matt Bonner: $3,945,000
    Danny Green: $3,762,500
    Marco Belinelli: $2,750,000
    Kawhi Leonard: $1,887,840
    Jeff Pendergraph: $1,750,000
    Nando De Colo: $1,463,000
    Patrick Mills: $1,133,950
    Cory Joseph: $1,120,920
    Aron Baynes: $788,872 (count for $884,293 against the tax)
    Malcolm Thomas: $702,233

The total salary for these 15 players is $64,323,261 ($64,418,682 against the tax)

The Luxury Tax:

What is the luxury tax?
    The luxury tax is a mechanism whose first goal is to reduce the differences between the richest and the poorest franchises by penalizing teams that overspend the others teams. Penalties have considerably raise with the new CBA to make it very expensive for teams to go way over the luxury tax threshold.
    For more details, check Larry Coon's CBA FAQ .

The triple penalty system:
    A team above the tax is three time penalized. First, they had to pay the luxury tax. Second, they don't get a share of the luxury tax money given by the NBA to teams. Third, it makes it more likely to have to pay the repeater tax in the future.
    The last two effects push teams that are just above the tax threshold to go under it.

Luxury tax threshold in 13-14:
    The 2013-2014 luxury tax threshold is $71,748,000.

Total luxury tax paid in 13-14:
    5 teams should pay some luxury tax for a total amount of about $150M.
    Teams below the tax will get 1/50th of these $150M (if only 5 teams end up paying the tax), that is to say $3M.

Impact of the luxury tax on Spurs for 13-14:
    Spurs are a comfortable $7,329,318 below the tax with 15 players under contract. With a that big margin, it's safe to say the luxury tax won't have some kind of impact on Spurs this year.

Spurs 14-15 salaries :

Players with a guaranteed contract :
    Tiago Splitter: $9,250,000
    Manu Ginobili: $7,000,000
    Danny Green: $4,025,000
    Marco Belinelli: $2,873,750
    Jeff Pendergraph: $1,828,750
    Kawhi Leonard: $2,894,059
    Cory Joseph: $2,023,261

The total salary of these 7 players is $24,894,820

Players with a partially or non guaranteed contract:
    His contract is $3.5M guaranteed and becomes fully guaranteed on July 1st 2014.
    Malcolm Thomas: $948,163
    His contract is fully non-guaranteed.

Players with a player option:
    Tim Duncan: $10,000,000

Total salaries:
    These 10 players have a combined salary of $53,342,983

The 2014 summer and Spurs' cap space situation:

The deciding factor for the 2014 summer will be what will be Duncan's choice. Will he still play one year or opt out of his contract to retire?

The amnesty rule:
    Only Parker can be amnestied but it's highly unlikely that he will be. Spurs will be one of the team that won't use that the amnesty provision on a player.

The stretch provision:
    Players signed under the current CBA (all Spurs players except Parker) can be waived and have their salary spread over twice the remaining years in their contract plus one. It could allow Spurs to create more capspace.

Spurs first round pick:
    Spurs could have cap holds for two first round picks: Livio Jean-Charles and the 2014 first round pick. They could disappear if Jean-Charles is stashed another year in Europe and if the 2014 first round pick is traded or used on a "stashed" prospect.

The room exception:
    It's a new exception for teams below the cap. Its value next summer will be $2.732M with a max length of 2 years.

Salary cap for 2014-2015:
    In June 2013, NBA's projections for 2014-2015 were a $62.1M salary cap and a $75.7 luxury tax threshold.

How much cap space Spurs could had in the 2014 summer:
    It's early to answer at that question but let's give it a try.
    Let's make first some assumptions:
    - The salary cap is $62.1M.
    - Parker is kept.
    - Jean-Charles will stay in Europe for the 2014-2015 season and the 2014 pick is stashed or traded.
    - Malcolm Thomas is waived.

Spurs team salary during the 2014 summer:
    Tiago Splitter: $9,250,000
    Manu Ginobili: $7,000,000
    Danny Green: $4,025,000
    Kawhi Leonard: $2,894,059
    Marco Belinelli: 2,873,750
    Cory Joseph: $2,023,261
    Jeff Pendergraph: $1,828,750
    Tim Duncan or a roster cap hold: $10,000,000 or $507,336
    Roster cap hold: $507,336

Total with Duncan opting in: $53,916,828
    Total with Duncan opting out: $44,424,164

In this scenario, Spurs will have $8.2M in cap space if Duncan wants to keep playing and $17.7M if he wants to retire.

After 2014-2015:

Spurs will have only one player after the 2014-2015 season with Tiago Splitter. His 2015-2016 salary will be $8.5M and his 2016-2017 salary will be $8.25M. It will allow Spurs to be in a great financial situation for the post Duncan era.

PS: Go to ShamSports for a salary tab and more details about contracts' specifics. Thanks to Sham for his great work.
    Last edited by Bruno; 01-10-2014 at 01:02 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Bruno

Just saw that shamp updated his website finally

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Bruno,

This thread is a valuable resource every season. The work that you put in to maintain it is appreciated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks, Bruno.

Interestingly, the Howard rebuff has seen the Lakers experience a significant drop in their luxury tax payments.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interestingly, the Howard rebuff has seen the Lakers experience a significant drop in their luxury tax payments.
    Yep but it will increase their revenue sharing contribution.

Spending a lot of money on players salaries and luxury tax for big market teams isn't that crazy. 30% of the profits are taken by the revenue sharing and then the IRS takes a big part of what remains. A team spending a lot of money on players will also be better, generate more money and raise the franchise value.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The bad news: That $8.2M guesstimate sounds great, but before anyone goes bringing up big names, realize that they're probably going to want to re-sign Diaw, sign Bertans and of course, there's always the possibility that the '14 1st, if kept, is on the roster. That takes care of $4-5M right there.

The good news: If Joseph and Pendergraph, can prove to be solutions at backup PG and C, respectively, then the only need will be backup SF. At this writing, $3-4M should be enough to sign a (Marvin) Williams or Ariza.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if Spurs re-sign some of their free agents next summer and if Duncan opt in, Spurs will likely take the MLE+LLE road.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The bad news: That $8.2M guesstimate sounds great, but before anyone goes bringing up big names, realize that they're probably going to want to re-sign Diaw, sign Bertans and of course, there's always the possibility that the '14 1st, if kept, is on the roster. That takes care of $4-5M right there.

The good news: If Joseph and Pendergraph, can prove to be solutions at backup PG and C, respectively, then the only need will be backup SF. At this writing, $3-4M should be enough to sign a (Marvin) Williams or Ariza.
    Or the MLE.

I see very few scenarios in which the Spurs use cap space next season if Duncan doesn't retire.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, they could easily go that route. Either way, the point is, as usual, nobody should be expecting anything big.

Even Williams and Ariza (after the Lakers realize their cache isn't what it was and strikeout on the big names, they probably bring him back) are unlikely, since they're not mixed, foreign or white American.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't see Bruno answer first. I think the biggest move for next season's cap space could be a mid-season trade this year.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks. Having all this info in one place is always nice and your work is appreciated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for all the thanks.

When you look at the contracts given this summer, it really looks like Spurs aren't interested in 2014 cap space. Their target is getting 2015 cap space.

For next summer, I wouldn't be surprised if Spurs are really wary to offer contract longer than 1 year that will eat their 2015 cap space. For example, Diaw would be re-signed to a 1 year contract with a high salary.

The blueprint of a trade Spurs could do this season would be to trade some of their expiring contracts (Bonner, De Colo, Mills, Baynes and maybe Diaw) for a player with one more year on his contract. I was suggesting a trade like Bonner and De Colo for Bass but you could, of course, replace Bass with another gettable player whose contract expire in 2015.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    Bows to you once again Bruno. This stuff always gives me a headache if I try on my own. Really appreciate you breaking it all down for the rest of us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    quality thread.

i'm of the opinion that the splitter contract is actually a bargain. i expect him to have a chip on his shoulder next season. and manu is manu. plus he isn't gonna play very much longer so his deal is fine. besides that, the spurs have a lot of good players for cheap prices.

bonner and diaw are pretty steep. they reek of trade machine threads.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank you Bruno!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great information as usual..great read..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for all the thanks.

When you look at the contracts given this summer, it really looks like Spurs aren't interested in 2014 cap space. Their target is getting 2015 cap space.

For next summer, I wouldn't be surprised if Spurs are really wary to offer contract longer than 1 year that will eat their 2015 cap space. For example, Diaw would be re-signed to a 1 year contract with a high salary.

The blueprint of a trade Spurs could do this season would be to trade some of their expiring contracts (Bonner, De Colo, Mills, Baynes and maybe Diaw) for a player with one more year on his contract. I was suggesting a trade like Bonner and De Colo for Bass but you could, of course, replace Bass with another gettable player whose contract expire in 2015.
    The plan seems good enough, provided the Spurs do well this season (2013-14). It has become a cliche to claim that the Spurs' window is closing, but I do think that 2013-14 is more feasible as a contention year than 2014-15.

So your point about the importance of a mid-season trade is very well taken.

A trade has to happen to seek a small ball PF playing decent SF instead of Bonner, who I frankly has outlived his limited but unique utility and is replaceable from within the Spurs' current squad (Diaw can stretch the floor and Pendergraph can defend the post & rebound even better). Diaw will remain, his unique passing skills, good Bball IQ and ability to defend with good lateral quickness makes him an asset despite his several flaws (passivity, low shooting FG% and low rebounding numbers).

Either or two of De Colo/Mills/Baynes could be used as filler/talent accrual in a mid-season trade. I expect the Spurs to use a lot of scrutiny to find out market inefficiencies, talent/veteran misfits in other teams over the season to plug their "hole" and attempt to upgrade themselves over the course of the season before the playoffs. They did that effectively in the 2011-12 season, setting up their 2012-13 season run, actually (by cutting down on defensive issues in 2011-12 through a good training camp and player development strategy in the 2012-13 offseason and course of the season).

But they still missed a beat in 2012-13 to repeat their previous season's in-season improvement through trade. It could have perhaps been useful for them in the finals against Miami for example (imagine Trevor Ariza, obtained by trading SJax instead of Tracy McGrady as Kawhi's backup).

I hope in 2013-14, they will be as aggressive and creative as they were in 2011-12.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    doing some quick math, using the wikipedia numbers for the salary cap by year and Basketball Reference for salaries (though I am 99% sure their numbers are wrong for Horry in 04-05 based on media reports and adjusted accordingly) . . .

the 13-14 Spurs will be the cheapest Spurs team by % of the cap since 2003-2004. Based on how things look for the next season, the Spurs will finish out the big three era rather cheaply.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, if you do it since 2005 and the new CBA that created a luxury tax threshold known before the season, Spurs have never been that below the luxury tax.

Spurs' payroll compared to the luxury tax threshold:
    05-06: +$0.9M
    06-07: +$0.2M
    07-08: -$0.6M
    08-09: -$0.1M
    09-10: +$8.8M
    10-11: -$0.6M
    11-12: +$2.5M
    12-13: -$0.5M
    13-14: -$8.0M

Over the past 9 years, Spurs have been 6 times within $1M of the tax level. The only time where they clearly went over it was 09-10 when they made the HWSNBN gamble thinking that overspending was the only way to compete with teams like Lakers.

To me, it's very likely that Spurs FO has the green light from the ownership to spend more money if they want. With the new trade rules (150%+$100K) and the big margin they had below the tax, it opens a lot of possibilities trade wise. For example, with a Bonner+De Colo+Mills package, Spurs could take up to $9.9M back in salaries.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Over the past 9 years, Spurs have been 6 times within $1M of the tax level. The only time where they clearly went over it was 09-10 when they made the HWSNBN gamble thinking that overspending was the only way to compete with teams like Lakers.

To me, it's very likely that Spurs FO has the green light from the ownership to spend more money if they want. With the new trade rules (150%+$100K) and the big margin they had below the tax, it opens a lot of possibilities trade wise. For example, with a Bonner+De Colo+Mills package, Spurs could take up to $9.9M back in salaries.
    With TD and MG taking less money for the sake of the team it's easy to envision the romantic notion of the younger team leaders i.e. TP, KL and DG, doing the same. Yes, I still consider Tony as young and I believe that as long as Joseph stays with the club the team is in good position point guard wise. Aren't the Spurs two short years away from having to spend some large money in order to stay compe ive?
    Last edited by Strategic; 08-05-2013 at 04:39 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone know what type of team we could piece together after 2015? Obviously our "big three" will be TP, KL, and Splitter. But as far as getting another star and a great role player. Thanks guys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i think danny green will still be around too. so i'd say a josh smith type restricted free agent would be the free agency target. and with an old tp, a fully emerged kl, plus splitter and green. the spurs should still be a playoff team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tobias harris or derrick williams

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would like for us to replace Bonner, CoJo, and Nando ....if we can trade them this year even better....

The 6th is coming... will_spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruno, thanks (again) for providing the correct figures. I was going by the info at: http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/SAS.html (usually a reliable source for other stats) and couldn't understand why the Spurs still had Horry affecting their cap

Thread Information